Lost Planet 2 Four-Player Shooty

By Jim Rossignol on March 30th, 2010 at 10:14 am.

So then: Lost Planet 2 was finally officially confirmed for PC at PAX, even though we’ve known it was bound for the beige box for months. But there’s more: Capcom London have recorded four gamers (presumably dragged in off the street) playing the four-way co-op multiplayer. I know everyone is keen to judge this game based on the fact that Lost Planet was rubbish, but I’m not so sure. What did my head in in Lost Planet was that stupid heat-blob system, and that seems to have been swept away and replaced with more big guns for the third-person action sequel. Anyway, take a look and listen to some guy going “whooaah,” (below) via VG247.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. jon_hill987 says:

For some reason I just hate third person shooters. If I’m going to be shooting things I want to do it first person.

2. Nickiepoo says:

In the same way that TF2 doesn’t really work on console controllers Lost Planet doesn’t really ‘work’ on a kb/m.

Not that it plays worse, it just doesn’t feel right.

Opinion away!

3. Reverend Speed says:

4 player Gears of War with Capcom visual / level design flair and bosses?

Sold.

4. bVork says:

I quite liked the first Lost Planet. From what I’ve played of the demo of LP2, the heat gauge is still present but isn’t really a threat anymore (though if you were playing the first right, you should have never had any problems keeping it high). It sort of functions as the communal respawn pool, depleting when you or one of your teammates ends up biting the dust. It’s a neat retooling of the mechanic that I think works really well with the new emphasis on co-op play.

• Eight Rooks says:

That’s exactly how it worked for multiplayer in the first game.

The singleplayer was dreadful, but the multiplayer was probably the most under-rated online game ever. Absolutely glorious. Superb level design – I paid for all the extra map packs on 360 and don’t feel remotely cheated – and nothing like getting spawncamped by an opposing team who’ve grabbed all the mechs, and then using teamwork to turn the tide. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

5. Hmm says:

I wasn’t a fan of the original, but the sequel looks a lot better and varied. I’m very interested.

Maybe Super Street Fighter 4 will also see a PC release, considering how great the PC version of SF4 was… Gold Edition of RE5 probably won’t happen, eh?. No news of that being made?

• pkt-zer0 says:

Going by Christian Svensson’s comments, the lack of SSF4 PC announcement is due to “a host of complex issues [the rest of Capcom] wouldn’t be comfortable with me sharing”, and RE5 DLC is “a question of resources” (QA costs – kind of odd for a small-ish level pack and a couple bugfixes, but whatever).

6. Aemony says:

I actually kinda liked the first game on the PC, even if the port was lacking in performance and general computer optimization. So I have eagerly awaited the sequel for the PC since they first announced the game, anyway.

Are there something wrong with the captcha plugin? Twice now have I gotten the “wrong captcha screen” on two different posts, even if I have written them 100% correctly.

7. blabla says:

Plug in a gamepad then?

8. WilPal says:

People didn’t like the first one on PC?

I LOVED it.

9. zzzzzzz says:

Well, i guess the Gameplay/difficulty is optimized for the crude,jerky movements gamepads allow.
    After all,they are build for easy handling while sitting on a sofa,not for precision.

That reminds me of the one time they tried to mix console and pc players on one server.
    Ah the carnage,the Bloodbath!

They tried never again…

10. Crush says:

The only place that seems to continually say Lost Planet was rubbish is RPS, everywhere else more or less liked the game and so did I even playing it on the PC (with a gamepad mind you).

Granted the story was absolute bonkers but the gameplay was fun.

• Jesse says:

Thank you! Lost Planet was a plenty fine game. It was tough but fair and full of crunch. Great visuals, great sound, great grenades, explosions, and mecha. Ooo, the mecha! Can’t wait to pilot the new VSeses.

Look, come over sometime, you can watch me play it and see how it’s supposed to work.

11. Droniac says:

I rather liked Lost Planet as well.
    It had some nice fight sequences (like the giant worm thing) and the mecha were great.
    Okay, it had some performance and control issues, but otherwise it was a solid action game. Nothing special, but not bad either.

And I got it for 10 euro in a Steam sale so it was easily worth the price of admission.

12. Sonic Goo says:

Are any pcs still beige these days? Seems more like black is the new beige.

13. Dominic White says:

It should be noted that Lost Planet was a huge hit in Japan. So much so that it got a re-release version much later with improved cross-platform multiplayer

Lost Planet 2 seems to be a cross between the first game and Monster Hunter… another mega-hit franchise for Capcom in their home territories, and ignored by the west because it doesn’t play exactly like every other game.

14. jameskond says:

I guess what makes this better is like four player co-op? :D I liked the original though :P

15. disperse says:

I think the gun designers are overcompensating for something…

• Dominic White says:

No, I’m fairly sure having huge guns is just about the only logical choice when a normal grunt-class enemy type is a twenty foot tall armor-plated alien monstrosity.

16. Miker says:

I think this is going to have GFWL integrated into it, if Capcom’s recent PC ports are any indication, which is a pity for a great looking game.

• Grey_Ghost says:

I was immediately interested in this game fro this trailer, and then immediately letdown at the mention of GFWL. 8(

17. Kevbo says:

My main issue with the first game was the horribly slow movements and animations. It was a decent game but was just a little too slow for my tastes. However I did play it on 360 with the super slow analog sticks so that may not have helped. Also I am sure that it will use GFWL which is almost definitely a ‘no thank you’ from me. Finally I haven’t seen a beige PC in at least 5 years and that was when my grandma used to call it ‘puddy color’ :)

18. Jugglenaut says:

I liked the first one, enough to play all the way through it, even if I didn’t like the mech mechanics. Currently the game is sitting on my “to play” list filed under: play if a third person shooter is needed with decent grappling hook mechanics that has already been played. My file system for games is wonky.

19. cg says:

Hello I need help I cant get my hama blackforce gamepad to work correctly with with Lost planet 2 i can do all functions but move the target around (360 view)