Voxel Pops: New Comanche Campaigns

By Jim Rossignol on April 1st, 2010 at 10:33 am.

If you’re still enjoying the astonishing glimpse into the future that is last year’s Comanche: Maximum Overkill – which used three-dimensional pixels to produce never before seen undulating terrain – then you’ll likely be delighted to hear that there are even more “voxels” on the way, thanks to Comanche: Global Challenge, which will deliver three new campaigns – that’s thirty highly-detailed missions. The expansion also adds arctic and desert terrain, as well as a bunch of new Soviet hardware to destroy. Hopefully my local Home Computer World will be stocking this one!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. user@example.com says:

Comanche was awesome, and still is in dosbox on a netbook. Comanche 4 is p. good if you like WASD helo-shooters. It’s simple, but it’s still fun nipping around and popping up to blow things up.

Black Shark just isn’t the same.

2. Jakkar says:

I have a sneaking suspicion these ‘voxels’ will be the future of all gaming! Polys are a fad!

3. Sobric says:

I have to say that Commanche really is the clincher for getting a PC guys. I shelved my C64 because I heard good things about Wolfenstein 3D, but it really is Comanche that takes my breath away!

4. Risingson says:

Comanche was actually a fun game, though it was too much “on rails”. I remember, when I played with friends, that one said at the first screen, the menu screen: “now, the voxel graphics and all are good, but what would be even nicer is having *those* graphics during the entire game”.

What is a bit sad about Comanche is that, after all these years, is still the only Novalogic simulator that was accesible for the arcade crowd and fun at that. The rest of their games felt, I don’t know, a bit rushed. Except Tachyon, which is great.

5. Dude says:

April’s fools? I guess so…

6. Richard Clayton says:

Those are target renders. The game’s never going to look that good.

7. JoeDuck says:

You are killing me with this batch of previews.
    I see my youth in front of me and it’s… pixely.
    But it’s also passionate and daring and varied and fun.
    Now, imagine if someone took this crazy voxel engine technology and did a tank sim.
    How cool would that be?

8. Rinox says:

Man, if games start looking this good already, imagine what another 20 years will do for storytelling and game design!!

9. phuzz says:

Ahh, voxels. Don’t forget Delta Force 2 while you’re on it!

10. stahlwerk says:

I’m afraid it won’t run on my dad’s 486sx :( Guess I might have to convince him to buy one of those mathematical coprocessor-thingies.

11. Pew says:

Oh dear, that screenshot ruined pretty much all memories I had of Comanche. It looked so great when I played it!

12. mlaskus says:

Crysis uses voxels to render terrain

• Risingson says:

Right! You scored two points!

• RogB says:

im not sure it does use them in rendering. I think it uses them for editing differences to a basic heightmap (caves, overhangs?) but eventually turns them into polygons afterwards. thats the gist I got after looking at a editor video a while back, i wouldnt be surprised if i was way wrong.

13. Sobric says:

Oh god yes. My first multiplayer experience… wow that was a long time ago.

14. Matthew says:

“Voxel Pops”, is that, like, a riff on “Vox Populi”? Ha ha ha! Jim, you’re so funny!

If article titles are looking this good already, imagine what another 20 years will do for punning and clever wordplay!!

:-)

• Grunt says:

Talking of puns, have you read Pratchett’s latest, Small Gods?

• Matthew says:

@Grunt: Yeah, I read it. Didn’t like it though – Pratchett really got deep with this last one, it’s not proper Discworld. I mean, if he had stuck with the light comedy he could have gotten, like, 20 books out of it! I used to be a big fan, but I don’t think this new direction is gonna last.

15. Stu says:

Typical nickel-and-diming, making us pay for missions that should’ve been included in the original release.

16. M says:

I was really hoping for a morning chock-full of VGA graphics and exclamation marks. Three was not enough flashback.

17. Spacewalk says:

Shit, and here I thought that vectors were going to be the future.

18. Hunam says:

Voxels! But I just bought a Voodoo card! /o\

19. Red Avatar says:

You know you’re into retro gaming when you open RPS, see all those old games and don’t even notice it’s a joke. “Oh, an article on Comanche and Doom and Sam & Max”.

20. Derek Smart says:

When I saw this headline, the first thing I did was look at today’s date. You bastards.

See if you can spot this relic.

21. TheSombreroKid says:

the system requirements for this game are a joke you need a 486DX2 minimum!

22. Grunt says:

Does anyone know if this will be Soundblaster Pro compatible?

• JoeDuck says:

It will be, but I can tell you that configuring the config.sys and autoexec.bat is going to be quite annoying. You see, this game uses only expanded memory and requires a LOT of base memory (more than 600Kb.!!!!), so you’ll have to boot with the bare minimum and no mouse driver of course.
      However, as you’ll have to load the sounblaster driver, well… it’s going to be tight in those 640kb.
      I’m curious, what IRQ and DMA are you using for your Soundblaster?

23. Derek Smart says:

I’m not sure, but it works great on my Adlib though.

24. the wiseass says:

Wow these graphics are intense, absolutely RAD!

25. Scandalon says:

Tandy 3-voice is all you need!

(Man, I remember seeing the adds for these in ComputerWorld and such, and thinking how amazing they were and wishing I had a 486.)

26. televizor says:

Wow, that was one of the wittyest commentes ever.

Comment on this story