Duke Nukem: Was Going Gold On April 1st

By Kieron Gillen on April 2nd, 2010 at 10:41 am.

Actually, we could have totally done a Duke Nukem delayed story yesterday, about whatever early 2D one which was around. Or something. Man, we could have kept the 1993 theme going for weeks.

There was a whole lot of April Comedicosity yesterday, but Variety reported on one thing which – if it happened – could have re-justified the whole sorry festival’s sorry reputation. Ex-Take Two Producer Jason Bergman reported that, on their schedule, April 1st 2010 was the day they were planning to announce Duke Nukem Forever had gone gold – and later confirmed it wasn’t a joke. Putting aside the obvious question mark whether 3D Realms could actually hit a date, imaging how that would have played out, with the argument and counter-argument of whether it was 4 Realzzzz does put a smile on my face. A shame.

__________________

« | »

1. Phil Carlisle says:

Yes, I can imagine that would have been a brilliant move. I wonder how the whole legal saga revolving around IP rights to the DN franchise is going to play out. Its kind of sad because the guys who worked at apogee (3dr) were good guys.

2. SquareWheel says:

I dream of Duke.

3. mechtroid says:

Well, there’s always next year. They could always have just called it an april fools if need be.

4. Psychopomp says:

I want to believe…

5. Stijn says:

What a shame.

6. neothoron says:

Now that would have at least fooled most everyone.

Wasn’t meant to be in that timeline, though.

7. fleacircus says:

To be blunt, DNF look more like a piece of shit every glimpse I saw and story I heard. It was probably all fake but the E3 day they had years and years ago actually looked pretty good. But when they decided they suddenly needed Doom3′s blackout in Legoland look? Pass.

Also, I was 12 when I played D3D. I think the humor of being able to take a piss in game might be lost on me now.

8. jsutcliffe says:

I’m pretty sure DNF was going to be the Daikatana of our time.

9. Navagon says:

April Fools indeed.

10. Mr_Day says:

Interesting side note:

April First would have been the day, had my funding not been cut, I would have cured the common cold.

I demand kudos for what might have been. I want it now.

11. Lycopersicon says:

Anyone see the Jace Hall show (season 1) where he actually got to play it? Never remember hearing about that in the game-o-sphere…

12. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Sad. But more for the people who actually worked on it for who knows how long. For the rest of us, there’s always the classic.

13. Dreamhacker says:

Judging from the media that leaked out from the later stages of development it is quite contrarily much less sad that the game wasn’t released. I mean, look at those videos: The game was a complete meh-fest waiting to happen. I can just imagine a parallell dimension in which DNF was released and the general reception was “Is that is? We waited half our lives for a cheap knock-off of Serious Sam!?”

14. pathan saida says:

i want sakshi epaper april month all papers

Comment on this story