The RPS Bargain Bucket: Will Rise Again

By Lewie Procter on April 3rd, 2010 at 2:40 pm.

Happy Jesus Egg weekend! I’m glad RPS has reverted back to 2010, or I was going to have to find out the details of a sale at WHSmiths or something. I’m back from PAX, and ready to serve up a metaphorical platter of PC game cheapness. As always, SavyGamer.co.uk is the where all the cheap games hang out.

VVVVVV – £7.19/€8.08/$10.93
Go Get Got Games Go, or whatever Eurogamer’s DD outlet is called, finally has a purpose. You can save £1.80 on VVVVVV! OK, that’s not a huge saving, but it is a wonderful little game, and this is the cheapest it has ever been. You can read my reVVVVVView here, and Wot Kieron thinks here. It’s kind of surprising that such a nice timid bloke could make something so viciously difficult. It is the right kind of difficult though, the kind where it simply forces you to be better at the game until you are good enough to beat the more difficult bits. Demo here and RPS coverage here.

Red Faction Guerilla – 874 MS Points
Microsoft must have a pretty big “Create seemingly random pricing policy inconsistencies” department, and they are doing a bang up job. In their recent series of promotions for GFWLGOD (Pronounced “GEE EFF DOUBLE YOU ELL GEE OH DEE”), where they have had a big push for their Digital Distribution service, in concurrent weeks they have: Quoted the price in Pounds, Quoted the price in their own fictitious currency, and not quoted any price at all. This week it is the fun smashy open world hammer-em-up that is the source of all confusion. You’re allowed to pay in pounds. You’re also allowed to let Microsoft sod off and wait until it is on sale at one of the competent outlets. Bad MS, no working link for you. Must try harder.

Borderlands – £14.99/€24.99/$24.99
A pretty good discount already, but if you buddy up into groups of four you can get it for £11.25/€18.75/$18.75 each. I grabbed it yesterday and sunk 76 minutes into it, and definitely enjoyed what I played so far. It’s a little overwhelming at first, what with all the different weapons, but I definitely like what I have played so far. It surprised me just how much it did feel like a shooter, I was expecting it to feel less like I was shooting a dude in the face, and more like I was clicking on a dude to make my man do a shoot at him. It seems a shame that they are not discounting the DLC at all, but perhaps a part of the reason that they discounted the game is that they want more potential customers for the DLC. RPS Group MEGAVERDICT over here, and other RPS coverage here.

Fallout – £1.96/€2.21/$2.99
As part of their rather excellent Spring Promo, GOG have got the first Fallout game for half price. They also have Beyond Good and Evil and Myst for cheap too, I picked Fallout largely because it is really really cheap, but also last time I played it, I seriously struggled to get it to work nicely on a modern OS. Anyone with the GOG version, how is it?

Deal of the week
Irukandji & Bullet Candy Perfect, PC – Whatever you want
Charlie, of Charlie’s games, has bundled together two of his bright light shootey games for £Radiohead. Minimum spend is $1, but as always with these kind of things, spending the minimum pretty much just covers the transaction costs, so I reckon give him around $5. Irukandji is an upwards scrolling shooter, where you have to avoid the bullets, but make sure yours hit the baddies. Bullet Candy Perfect is a twin stick shooter, where one stick is your mouse, and the other is your keyboard. Both are funtimes. Whilst you are at his site, you should probably grab Space Phallus for free too.

Also of note:
King’s Bounty The Legend – £4.97/€4.97/$4.97
Death To Spies: Gold Edition – £17.47/€17.47/$17.47
AI War: Fleet Command – £5.99/€6.99/$9.99
AI Wars: The Zenith Remnant – £3.49/€4.49/$4.99
Super Power 2 – £2.23/€2.23/$2.23
Joint Operations Combined Arms: Gold – £4.93/€ 5.54/$7.50

Head to SavyGamer.co.uk for more cheap games.

1. Bob says:

I played King’s Bounty the other week and its great! Just a shame my pc is too crap to handle it :-(

• John Peat says:

In reply to Bob – KB will work on any PC with a dedicated GPU (no Integrated Graphics nonsense) which isn’t 5+ years old – are you doing it wrong or does your PC require coal to start-up? :)

• alice says:

He may only have a laptop with an integrated video card. Not all people are made of money.

• John Peat says:

re: Alice’s comments – you can get a PC which will run Kings Bounty for about £100 so it’s not really a question of money.

KB also plays on a GMA4500 (not brilliantly but it plays) so the only machines which won’t are either Netbooks or older/cheaper/nastier laptops which people really should avoid for anything more complex than Solitaire (and I’d ask why such people are reading a PC gaming site!?!?)

• Beanbee says:

£100? Proof.

2. John Peat says:

GetGamesGo has another purpose – Kings Bounty is £2.49 there, somewhat cheaper than GamersGate!

No connection to them – just want more and more people to own KB :)

• LewieP says:

I suppose I should subscribe to their RSS then. I have been mostly ignoring them up to this point because they have had mostly rubbish special offers.

• John Peat says:

GetGamesGo have had a few decent offers – they had Condemned for £3 for example.

If you can prize yourself from the ‘Steam Comfort Zone’ (oh how nice it is to have everything in one place) there are bargains to be had :)

• LewieP says:

From memory, when they had that offer it was the same price on GamersGate, and Cheaper on D2D…

They have had a few other OK offers, but often eclipsed by similar offers elsewhere.

3. Pardoz says:

GOG’s Fallouts worked for me out of the box (well, out of the installer), no fiddling required.

• Fumarole says:

I’d like to point out that the high resolution patch works with GoG’s version as well, at least on XP.

4. Zinic says:

Fallout from GOG works perfectly, even on Vista and Windows 7. On the upside, it also includes a link to the unofficial patch, which is a nice touch.

Thanks to GOG though, I now own 5 copies of Fallout, including the original jewel case version.

Also bought Borderlands and all the DLC, been waiting for this discount. :)

• KBKarma says:

And I own two. :D

Yeah, GoG works beautifully. I’ve been meaning to give them more of my money recently; Arcanum and MDK look very very shiny.

Maybe after exams…

• Jason Moyer says:

GoG’s Fallouts work great. The rest of the catalog can be hit or miss, though. I bought Gorky 17 from them and it’s so broken that I’m stunned they would release it in its current state.

5. mbp says:

Don’t think it has been mentioned on RPS before but this week is the last chance to get the PC version of Kingdom of Keflings for half price ($9.95). Keflings is a settlers type game from indie studio Ninja Bee studios that was well received on XBLA. I bought it because I know one of the devs and it is quite a lovely little low stress world builder.

Eurogamer review here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/a-kingdom-for-keflings-review
    Ninja Bee here: http://www.ninjabee.com/ There is a short demo available.

• Bonedwarf says:

The game is boring as hell unless you have OCD like my wife. And there’s very little content if it’s anything like the Xbox version. As I described “It’s like Settlers with all the fun removed”.

6. T-B0N3 says:

ffs, Get Games Go still doesnt support paypal. I keep wanting to buy things from their site but can’t because i don’t have a credit card :(

• ArtyArt says:

What’s even more irritating about Get Games is that I couldn’t pay with my credit card either. Is it because I’m no Britishman or did they just not want my money that time? Anyone else had such problems?

Also: get Charlie’s games. That is all.

• TeeJay says:

That’s strange as they allow you to switch between £ € $

Maybe your bank is ‘declining’ it for some reason? (eg sometimes credit cards operate ‘automatic fraud detection’ which blocks ‘suspicous’ (ie unusual) transactions until you call them).

• MWoody says:

So go get a credit/debit card. It’s an infinitely safer method of payment than Paypal. I’m stunned anyone would prefer the latter, truth be told.

7. pupsikaso says:

RPS = PC games, thank you very much.

• pupsikaso says:

And that was in reply to mbp

• John Peat says:

erm – NinjaBee’s A Kingdom for Keflings is 360/PC :)

• Clovis says:

Also, that was just a comment. I guess it’s worth being annoyed if RPS started writing articles about console games, but it’s not like “PC Gamer” must equal “console hater”. In fact, if I’d like to hear what other primarily PC-centric games like on the consoles; those would probably be the console titles I will like.

Also, as pointed out above, this is on the PC. Let’s try not to look like crazy PC-fanboys or something.

(I told my 360 obsessed brother I was gonna’ get a PS3, and he acted like I was joining the Church of Satan or something. That’s really childish; who cares what system you play games on??)

Sagan says:

I was looking to see what Irukandji is like, and I came across this video:
    Man, I thought Linux users were a different kind of crowd…

9. monkehhh says:

Good catch, purchased :)

abhishek says:

In case you’re looking for the link Lewie chose not to post, this is it -

The game isn’t the greatest, but it is a reasonably fun open world action game and I think it’s worth the asking price of 10$.

• Bruce Rambo says:

… unless you’re subjected to the bug (which volition were refusing to patch last time I checked) where the game runs at super speed if you have a decent computer.

• Shrewsbury says:

Actually, there’s a patch coming out very soon for the RFG speedup bug. It’s just finished going through the MS approval process.

• Clovis says:

@Shrewsbury: What? So patches are now delayed because MS have to approve them? Yet another reason to really hate GFWL.

11. Grunt says:

Mmm, poor bunch this weekend. The only one I’d be slightly tempted by it Red Faction but I ain’t going near Microsofts system for all the tea in China.

That’s right. ALL the tea…

12. Grunt says:

Oh – ps: I picked up Kings Bounty from Game last week for £5 but I have to say I’m finding it hard to understand what everyone’s been raving about. Decidedly ‘meh’, in my opinion.

• MadMatty says:

bit too much like Heroes of Might and magic for my liking

• Urthman says:

Not surprising since the first Heroes of M&M was a sequesl to the original King’s Bounty.

13. Xocrates says:

By the way, Demigod sent out a few more referrals coupons last week, valid until April 8th.

So you can get it with 75% discount (i.e. 5$) off Impulse by using the coupon code: DGFRIEND-4343709

TRS-80 says:

I’m still bitter about Borderlands – they way they added DRM to the DLC broke the main game under Linux. Plus they started playing silly buggers with the Australia/NZ pricing.

15. bill says:

GOG fallout worked for me on vista, with the high res patch installed.

Unfortunately it was a very dull and characterless game and I got bored of it before I got much past junktown. Hugh disappointment.

• Timespike says:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Fallout 1 is, in my opinion, one of the five best video games ever.

• malkav11 says:

Fallout may not be for everyone, but it certainly can’t be accurately described as characterless.

• TeeJay says:

Sounds like you were let down by your own expectations more than anything else. Fallout has *tons* of character, but it isn’t all spelt out to your face every minute or so like lots of modern games feel they have to. You need to approach it more like a book (ie invest the time and effort, engage your imagination and root around noticing details) and less like a passive Hollywood movie where everything is scripted, spoon-fed and spelt out in large clichéd visuals and speeches.

I remember feeling initially very unimpressed with what seemed old, slow and clunky, but it got better and better the more I played, because they have stuff in there that makes the world become more and more real in your imagination.

This is in contrast to many newer “big-name” games where I am initially blown away by the game-engine visuals and cut-scenes but become less and less impressed the more I play because after seeing the shiny surface and ‘zany’ characters many times there just seems to be nothing underneath it all.

drewski says:

I never found the original Fallout to be very entertaining. OK at times, frequently quite frustrating…I gave it a good ten hours but never went back.

Fallout 2 is a much better, if vastly less “authentic”, experience, in my opinion.

• bill says:

I guess i should keep trying. BUt on the other hand I’m not sure that video games should be a chore.
      I’ve gone back to it 3 or 4 times over the last few months, but nothing holds my interest, and every time a new game comes along I get sucked into that instead.

I think characterless is the perfect word for what I’ve played so far. My character has no character. I have a companion that has no character, no motivation, and I’ve no idea why he’s with me. I’ve met a few people in the first town I went to and in junk town… but none of them were particularly memorable or interesting. Trying to do anything other than just blast everyone seems incomplete and more trouble than it’s worth. The enemies and settings seem rather dull. The writing isn’t good.

On the other hand, just before I got distracted by mirror’s edge, I did get a dog. So maybe I should go back and see if the dog makes things more involving.
      I’m sure it’s all about expectations, and at this price everyone should probably try it, but on the other hand I’ve picked up several older games on GOG that have been much more involving.

hugh.

• TeeJay says:

There is no right or wrong in entertainment it’s a mater of your own personal taste.

I prefer games where I have the space to create a lot of what’s going on with my own imagination based on ‘suggestions’ – in contrast I find games like Dragon Age and Mass effect where everything is heavily spelt out in detail often very annoying. I would prefer if Morrigan had just had a bit of text and I voiced her in my own own head – instead I got endless cut scenes with a stupidy dressed dead-eyed doll having sarcastic teenage stroops. Many games seem to be gettiong more and more like kidult-orientated TV-soaps or wanna-be cheap TV sci-fi mini-series, whereas my tastes are games that reference literature – which allow me to create someone I can relate to in my own imagination and I’d put Fallout in this category. “Your own mileage may vary” as they say.

• bill says:

@TeeJay:
      Yeah, I agree. I also like games where my imagination can fill in the gaps. Modern games are often a lot more polished, but i rarely find they capture my imagination like some older ones.

However that’s why I’m so perplexed by Fallout 1. Why does it totally fail to catch my imagination? Why can I get into games like Albion, Chrono Trigger, Betrayal at Krondor, etc.. but playing fallout leaves me totally cold. Fallout is supposed to be this all time classic. Albion got middling reviews. But i got hooked on albion within 30 minutes, yet fallout still seems like “playing a game and reading text” rather than being there.

I’ll give it one more try after I finish Bioshock and Longest Journey.

16. SirKicksalot says:

Borderlands is also 50% off on Gametap.

I bought Just Cause 2 there yesterday and I’m still waiting for my key. On the other hand they charge in USD instead of Euros like steam does.

17. Skusey says:

I don’t know what 874 dream moneys is in £, but Guerilla is £5.99 on game.co.uk and I imagine the price difference is negligible.

Stompywitch says:

…and with some points saved up, I’ve just picked it up for £3.49.

Along with Mass Effect 2 for £20 from HMV this afternoon, it’s been an expensive day, but that’s a while’s worth of good gaming. :)

(And now back to working through Dragon Age…)

18. realsch says:

Yay, the bargain bucket is something I look forward to each week. Thanks for the work!

And yeah, everyone should get king’s bounty for that price.

19. Jimbo says:

Chaos Rising is proper price (£20) on Gamesplanet, as opposed to insulting rip-off UK internet price everywhere else (£30). They also have Mount & Blade Warband for £7 less than other DD places.

phlebas says:

Boo. Had me excited for a minute before I realised that was Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising rather than Culpa Innata 2: Chaos Rising.

HarbourMaster says:

I have too many games to play because of this weekly assault on wallet. I need Lewie to stop stop stop.

I finally bought AI War, but then I felt bad because I like to support nice indie games without a discount (I purchased the marvellous VVVVVV prior to this and didn’t regret it. Well, apart from when I spent an hour on “Veni Vidi Vici”. And another half hour on “Edge Games”).

God I’ll never play a second round of Sins if this keeps up. Is Jan 2009 the only time I’ll ever play that game?

21. Vinraith says:

It’s noteworthy that if you buy AI War from Steam, you can use the code they gave you both with the Steam version of the game and with the direct download version of the game from Arcen’s site. In other words, it’s the only Steam game I know of that is easily installed and run without Steam. Conversely, if you have AI War through any other DD site or bought it directly from Arcen, you can add the key to Steam if you want to install/run it through Steam. Developers that respect consumer choice? How wonderfully novel!

22. Frankle says:

Anyone picking up Fallout I’d strongly recommend picking up Fallout 2 especially since Killap has released a new restoration pack. fixes a lot of broken quests. etc. can get it at nma

23. Shrewsbury says:

Left 4 Dead 2 appears to have obtained a permanent price cut to £20 (the price it should have been).

24. Alexander Norris says:

…and no word about the rather large GamersGate 50% sale off everything published by Paradox before August ‘09 (including stuff like Sword of the Stars Ultimate, Europa Universalis 3 Complete, Victoria Complete, Hearts of Iron 2 Complete or Crusader Kings Complete, sadly not including Heir to the Throne or Arsenal of Democracy)?

Bad LewieP. Bad!

(Rebate obtained by using the coupon code PDX200K. Paradox forums thread here. The sale should be on for a couple more days.)

• LewieP says:

You know, I did read about that when it first hit (and I was still at PAX), but then I looked for it on gamersgate.com and didn’t see any evidence of it, so I thought I had missed it.

• Vinraith says:

@LewieP

It’s nominally a reward for Paradox forum members so it was only posted on their forum.

25. Vinraith says:

This is the first I’ve seen of Get Games Go, what’s their DRM system? Client (ala Steam, Impulse)? Wrapper (ala Gamersgate)? Just third party DRM (ala D2D)? Any equivalent to GG’s “you bought it you own it” guarantee?

26. MWoody says:

This may be offtopic (unless you consider “$0″ a deal, I suppose), but does RPS have any plans to cover Transcendence? A friend linked it earlier in the week, and I’m having a blast. Roguelike Asteroids-esque space exploration.

27. kojo says:

@alice:

Here we go again.

There are perfectly cheap and affordable graphics cards out there that are capable of handling all recent games well enough. Having a decent gaming PC does not require you to be rich, made of money or have a tree that grows money.

Enough with this nonsense already.

• jalf says:

@kojo: And good luck plugging that “cheap and affordable graphics card” into your laptop.

Having a decent gaming PC requires you to buy a decent gaming PC. Surprising, I know, but true.

Quite a lot of people only have a laptop, which is… tricky… to upgrade.

• bwion says:

@jalf

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but it’s certainly true that a lot of “budget” desktop machines don’t have PCI-E slots, which you’d need for most modern video cards.

The central point that it’s very possible to get a very serviceable game-playing machine for not a lot of money is a sound one, but your point that *converting* any given computer into a serviceable gaming machine isn’t always possible or economical is well-taken.

• FunkyBadger says:

jalf: but laptops cost more than desktops…

28. DJ Phantoon says:

“you should probably grab Space Phallus”

Bad Lewie! Bad!

29. MadTinkerer says:

Thanks, Xocrates! I have Demigod now. :)

30. Uglycat says:

No love for Gothic 3 bundle?

• Vinraith says:

@Uglycat

Ah, good, an excuse to ask on the front page:

What’s the status of Gothic 3 at this point? At release all I heard was “horribly broken” but I know some folks have subsequently said that with the right mods and patches it becomes something worthwhile. I guess what I want to know it 1) is that true and 2) which mods/patches?

• suibhne says:

The problem with that Gothic 3 bundle is that it includes both the original Gothic 3 (which is one of the best open-world games I’ve played, but I’m also a big Gothic fan) and the “Forsaken Gods” add-on – which you should never ever play under any circumstances whatsoever.

Ever.

• sassy says:

Gothic 3 was never particularly broken, it just wasn’t what gothic fans wanted. It is quite solid when patched and far less buggy then many alternatives (oblivion), I don’t think I have ever had a CTD.

The mod you are talking about is the “community patch”. Highly recommended and use it before playing the game, otherwise the patch will invalidate your save.

Overall well worth the asking price especially if you enjoyed Risen. Just don’t compare it to earlier gothics or you will be dissapointed

31. Drew says:

@Vinraith

It actually seems to be a system of locked install files, which you must unlock with your username and password, à la Telltale. I base that assertion on this page:

• Vinraith says:

@Drew

That sounds very similar to Gamergate’s system, which I consider pretty unobtrusive as such things go. Thanks!

Drew says:

@Vinraith

No problem! I have yet to try Gamergate, so I didn’t know that “Wrapper” referred to the system in question.

• Vinraith says:

@Drew

Yeah, it’s an imprecise term. Gamersgate has you download the installer, then asks you for your login and password. After that it installs and runs with no further interference and no need for an internet connection ever again.

32. undead dolphin hacker says:

Drop VVVVVV to $4.99 and I might consider downloading the demo.

I’m not even going to bother visiting the site if the asking price is over $10.

Why? This week for my $10 I can get one of the following bundles:

-AI War, an ambitious but unpretentious indie game that doesn’t resort to “retro” graphics to appeal to the beret-wearing holier-than-thou indie niche.

-Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete (or) Gothic 2 Gold (or) Beyond Good & Evil + Fallout (or) Divine Divinity.

*HOMM3 Complete is fantastic and likely has 100 hours of campaign time, 50+ of built-in scenarios, and an unlimited number of random maps. You’ll burn out after the first campaign, probably, but two weeks down the road you’ll be back for more.

*Gothic 2 Gold is also fantastic with about 60 hours of gameplay for the completionist/explorer. Controls suck, but it’s worth suffering through. And it’ll probably hold your attention for all 60 hours, once you get past the control curve.

*Beyond Good and Evil isn’t the Messiah as some journalists will tell you, but it’s engaging and great at holding your attention. Probably about 20 hours?

*I don’t think there’s anything left to say about Fallout, so let’s just say if you can’t find your original disk — or perhaps even if you can — you’re a bloody idiot not to buy this. Even if you only run through it once as the recommended Diplosniper, it’s great fun. If you have no clue what you’re doing, you’re probably looking at 40 hours of gameplay for a single playthrough.

*Divine Divinity is the love child of Ultima 7 and Diablo, and is better than either individually. Tongue-in-cheek story, engaging combat, highly interactive world (which rewards exploration and clever manipulation of objects), and a healthy chunk of gameplay, probably in the 30-40 hour range. It can drag at times, but keep going — it’s worth it.

33. TeeJay says:

@John Peat – Re. “Netbooks or older/cheaper/nastier laptops” & reading a PC gaming site…
    “17 Games to Play on a Netbook” Alec Meer, June 2009, PC Gamer
    tl;dr
    Diablo II, Plants vs Zombies, World of Goo, LucasArts Classic Line, TrackMania Nations Forever, GTA: Vice City, The Elder Scrolls IV: Morrowind, Dungeon Keeper 2, Audiosurf, Neverwinter Nights, The Sims/Sims 2, Ultimate Doom, Deus Ex, Warcraft III, Peggle Complete, Geometry Wars, Quake III: Arena …etc…

• bill says:

just don’t try morrowind with all the extra graphics mods and extended draw distances. That litterally toasted my last laptop, and that was more than a netbook.

• Tei says:

Re: netbook gaming.

I don’t see the point of playing games where you have to use the mouse on a netbook. I prefer games like Puzzle Quest, or some roguelike game, over something like Morrowind.

• John Peat says:

@TeeJay

There are a TONNE of games you can play on Netbooks/laptops with GMA950s etc. but Kings Bounty, sadly, isn’t one of them.

I used to play Guild Wars on a Netbook and I know someone who plays WoW and Aion on one (low settings but they play just fine).

Add on the armada of low-end/older games knocking about and no-one has a PC they can’t play something decent on – hence why I’m surprised someone reading a gaming PC site has a PC which doesn’t play games (apparently!) :)

34. Film11 says:

Red Faction: Guerrilla is available cheaper than the GFWLGOD price at Gameplay.co.uk (at £5.99).
    Definitely another reason to avoid horrid GFWL.

35. Roufuss says:

@Vinraith

I grabbed Gothic 3 through Steam during the Holiday Sale, it came preloaded with the second to latest community patch and I grabbed the latest one just to have it.

I’ve put about 35 hours into it so far… the community patches have fixed a TON. No crashes, stable performance, some stutters here and there but that is a fault of the engine and apparently can’t be fixed. Off the top of my head, I do not remember where to get the patch from, but googling Gothic 3 Community Patch should bring you to the website that hosts it. I have no mods, just the community patch.

If I remember right, it is a team effort between the publisher and the community who have fixed tons of bugs, errors, glitches, and unbalanced stats. It’s definitely worth playing.

36. bill says:

37. Lykurgos says:

Seconded. I just started playing with Community Patch 1.73 on an AMD Phenom 955 and an ATI 4870 1GB. It mostly runs smoothly and looks lovely. I experience occasional momentary freezes but not more often than once every 30 minutes or so. I’ve not experienced any other bugs and no crashes at all.

The game itself, is engrossing so far.

38. geldonyetich says:

Not real happy week for the Bargain Bucket, I’m afraid. Most of those games will have already been purchased. AI Wars is the biggest standout for me, but (cheapskate I am) I’m waiting for that to dip down to about the 75% point.

39. Byron_Black says:

http://www.shopto.net has trine for £6.74 delivered, just waiting on my copy comming ^ ^

40. kadayi says:

@Beanbee

Proof or not his point is that it will run on fairly low end machines by todays standards. If your PC is so antiquated that it can’t run it, perhaps it’s time to consider an upgrade.

41. John Peat says:

The £100ish Gaming PC – proof as requested by Beanbee

Get a P4 system from someone like BigPockets/eBay/other refurb sellers. You should be able to find a system with 1GB and XP for about £75/80 – ensure it has a PCI-Ex slot, most do but check this.

Get yourself something like an 8600GT (£30ish) – it will handle anything the CPU can.

Voila – a PC with legit OS which will play most games – I used to game on a P3 3.4HT/1GB/8600GT and managed to play games as recent as Batman:AA, Fallout 3 and it will obviously run stuff like Kings Bounty and most MMOs without breaking a sweat.

42. Rob says:

I have Fallout 1 and 2 from GOG.com.
    Easy to install, no crash, no weird speed up and it works with community mods.

No hassle at all.

43. Drew says:

It’s funny that people considered this a bad weekend for deals. I bit on nearly everything. VVVVVV is working out beautifully, Borderlands is a blast with a few friends, and Bullet Candy is good times.

phlebas says:

RPS = PC games, thank you very much.