Play Games With RPS Readers

By Jim Rossignol on April 5th, 2010 at 1:09 pm.

I think black will win.
There are now a whole bunch of Official RPS communities rumbling away in the depths of the multiplayer internet, and I wanted to flag some of them up here. First up there’s our Steam group, which has around 4000 members and occasionally orchestrates events for various games, including Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Join up, and we’ll get more stuff going. We do, of course, have a TF2 group here, and there are now US and UK Battlefield servers. (Search “Rock” in the server browser is the easiest way to bring them up.) We also have an official RPS Eve corporation, RPS Holdings, which you can easily find in game via their CEO Eben Rochelle. They’re a fun bunch with lots of veterans able to give out advice.

Finally, you can hit the forum over here, where there is Bloodbowl and some other stuff happening, or just start asking people for a game of something you fancy in the relevant comments. There are hundreds of thousands of RPS readers out there, and some of them probably want to play multiplayer Sacrifice or something… now there’s an idea.

See also Rock, Paper, Satan and the RPS Dwarf Fortress Group.

__________________

« | »

1. ping says:

Loving it. The first thing I check in BC2 is if there’s a place left on the RPS server.

2. Mr Labbes says:

I remember when we played Sacrifice at Lan-parties. Good times – maybe worth repeating.

• BooleanBob says:

Unfortunately it’s an RTS that

- offers huge boosts for turtlers
      - punishes you for gaining ground.

I only played a few of games before I got sick (there were people playing ~2.5 years ago) but the above really makes for a frustrating time. A pity.

• Heliocentric says:

boolean, i couldn’t disagree more. In sac turteling is death, especially when played the right way (3 or more player free for all).

3. ANDy says:

Just FYI….I don’t think that’s the right ip for the tf2 server, seems to be running cs:source at the moment.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

Yup, the TF2 server has been down for a while now. If anyone is interested in getting it going again I’ll happily chip in for the server costs.

Also worth mentioning is that there is an official RPS TF2 Steam group, which is to be found here.

4. Schaulustiger says:

Jim, are there any ideas for another mod revival like you did with this UT3 balloon mod? I didn’t own the game at that time but it seemed like pretty successful undertaking. And officially initiated stuff seems to work great with the active RPS reader crowd.

• JonFitt says:

Have you tried 0.31.01 yet? Any exciting things?

• Iucounu says:

It’s already awesome and I haven’t even figured out many of the cool new features yet (learning another suite of Toady’s cryptic interfaces is going to take a little time; the military management screen in particular is like Linear B.) But there’s a lot more going on in the environment, which really makes a difference. There are many more useful minerals, fascinating caverns and underground seas, lots of interesting new wrinkles like medical care and the ‘burrow’ system.

Most importantly, it still kills you in entertaining ways. I delved down a few levels and discovered a vast underground cave system, which I started to explore. Then one of my dogs got into a scrap with an ‘elk bird’. OK, I thought, a bird has become confused and found its way into my fort. Then a flock of elk birds started harassing my miners, so I sent in my woodcutter (the only dwarf I had who could reliably swing an axe) to make some bird soup. Soon my woodcutter was on the wrong end of a savage beating, and for the first time I thought to check the new combat log feature.

It turns out that elk birds have horns. Also, it turns out they are represented by big capital Es, which any student of Dwarven history knows is a red flag. I checked the description and discovered that what I had thought were somewhat aggressive birds of prey were, in fact, giant elk with the heads of birds, native to the cavern system, and now apparently boiling over with dwarficidal zeal for some reason. The subsequent campaigns of my hastily-assembled wrestler militia’s against the elk bird menace went about as well as you would expect elk-wrestling to go; ith terrible swiftness, all that was left was my brewer, cowering in his still behind a locked door and nursing his broken leg. That was the end of my first 2010 fortress.

I generated an adventurer and went back to explore and it was exactly like the start of Aliens. I love this game.

• jarvoll says:

0.31.1 is AMAZING. It’s still got some pretty serious bugs though: magma smelters refuse to make pig iron (or is it steel?), rain can occasionally decide to kill everything it touches, remains neither rot away nor generate miasma, turtles don’t leave shells behind (meaning a LOT more dwarves lost to insanity), oh and most liquid-based life has disappeared, including magma-dwelling beings (take the good with the bad, I suppose). Overall, I’m mainly playing to get familiar with all the changes, rather than make any kind of serious fortress. That doesn’t mean that these learner-forts aren’t RIDICULOUSLY fun though, because they are.

Anyway, what’s the point of a Steam group for a non-steam, non-multiplayer game? Chat?

• Iucounu says:

I’ve definitely got turtle shells, but the remains of vermin have been building up in my fort for two years now with no sign of rotting away; I had to butcher a cute puppy to get bones for a possessed dwarf. I had to abandon my second fort because the invisible underground cave system seemed to be crumbling away; it would zoom to twenty thousand leagues below the sea every three seconds with an urgent announcement about a cave-in. Also, my hunters don’t fancy hunting for some reason, and farming requires irrigation even in soil layers; I haven’t had the acid rain thing yet.

• jarvoll says:

Oh those didn’t all happen to me – I just read about them in the bug tracker. The only ones my current has are the no-miasma-or-rotting one, and no fish or magmamen. I guess I could have the magma-smelter one as well, but since I’m trying to pump the magma from the bottom of the world up to my fort (149 z-levels), instead of building my smelters down there, I haven’t yet built any to test it :p

• a says:

“turtles don’t leave shells behind (meaning a LOT more dwarves lost to insanity)”

Wait, what? This sounds like a game.

5. JB says:

What, no love for Rock, Paper, Satan? Tut, tut.

6. Ian says:

*points at FUMBBL and jumps up and down*

• Arathain says:

Seconding Ian’s FUMBBL plug. If you have the slightest interest in playing some Bloodbowl (and after reading Kieron’s match reports who doesn’t?) post in the RPS FUMBBL thread. We’ll get you started.

We run regular tournaments, and we have a rookie team one just about to start, so now’s a great time. Every regular is a pleasure to play against, whether you’re having a good game or a bad one.

And, you know, it’s free.

• Ian says:

Aside from Janek and his DEMON DICE.

7. Garg says:

Holy shit, Jim alt texted!

8. bill says:

I bought sacrifice on gog, but i haven’t installed it yet.

Is RPS TF2 newbie-friendly?

• Psychopomp says:

TF2 as a whole is newbie friendly.

• jarvoll says:

I’ve played, and it was loads of fun, especially when people use the same handles as on RPS, so I can recognize who’s killing me :) My only complaint is that it’s hardly ever on – more please!

9. cullnean (ld) says:

come join us in EvE, you know you want too.

10. Freudian Trip says:

I play the rather ragey Heroes of Newerth and the idea of playing with people who don’t absolutely lose their shit at a moments notice is frankly, a dream.

• jarvoll says:

Holy cow, yes! If we could get 10 nice RPS people together, I’d be all over HoN! As it stands, I am avoiding like the plague.

11. robrob says:

Any Arma 2 players about who would be up for testing out some missions some time? Would be great to get some games with voice comms going.

12. Soundofvictory says:

Oh man! Sacrifice reminded me of how absolutely mental Giant:CK’s multiplayer modes were. That game was so awesome back in the day.

13. Wulf says:

I’m tempted by RPS playabouts, but I’m not really at all interested in competitive games, they’re just not my thing. Now if we’re talking coop games, I’m all up for that! What would be interesting is an RPS Minecraft server, now that’d be something. And I definitely think there’s going to be some interesting times when Slee is Death (which I will insist on calling Dreamwalker) comes around.

Regardless, to all those about to engage in multiplayer fun with other RPS types, I salute you!

• JB says:

Ah yes, I preordered Sleep is Death yesterday. Some RPS SiD action would be cool. Only 3 days to go for preordererererers.

• Tei says:

People will not probably want to play with me as controller. Because I would make a infinite serie of “awakening inside a aliens infested ship”. I will greet new players with “Wellcome visitor nº8″ or alternativelly “You have an uneasy dream”. So if theres a game that need a networking system like “chatroulette”, is this.
      (note: I don’t own the game).

• JB says:

Ok Tei, I have to disagree, having read and enjoyed the vast majority of your posts since I started reading RPS.

A quick poll, who would like to play Sleep is Death with Tei running the story?

I would.

14. Psychopomp says:

Eben’s a [Language, Mr Pomp - RPS] :P

15. pimorte says:

It’d be great to turn this post into a listing of all existing RPS game groups – preferably with region collecting so games that rely on ping time can be played well.

Playing Sacrifice would make me happy :D

16. pimorte says:

@Wulf – If RPS itself won’t finish the AI War diary – perhaps the RPS community can? :D

17. Orange says:

Anyone playing Warband?

• Jockie says:

Yeah, deeply addicted to the single-player at the moment (again). The changes might not be massive, but they were enough to lure me back in. Would probably be up for some kind of big RPS multi-brawl thing though.

18. Tei says:

Re: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/10/mar/oldmen.jpg

On background you can ear the cry “Teams!!”. Theres not point in any game, if everyone join the winning team (black in the photo).

19. Skeez187 says:

Multiplayer Sacrifice! Thats change I can believe in.

20. DD says:

RPS DWARF FORTRESS GROUP?! I’M IN.

21. l1ddl3monkey says:

Well into the BC2 games but for a change of pace I was wondering if any of my fellow RPS folk fancied some Supreme Commander (not 2, for t’was “pants”) or Forged Alliance? Some competition who don’t either spend the whole game typing “noob” if they’re winning or “fag/cheater” if they’re losing would be nice!

22. karthik says:

Just bought Borderlands in the weekend Steam sale; is anyone on RPS looking for people to play with?

23. Raven185 says:

I bought Heroes 3 complete on gog and looking forward to play it online. Guess I’ll need hamachi for that=

24. Dave says:

Woo i got mentioned! Am i now famous? Do i need bodyguards? Is there a lucrative advertising deal on the horizon? Only time will tell…

Also if you do fancy getting in on the Eve vibe we have a corp meeting on the 6th so hundreds of us will be online. Whats the worst that could happen?

25. dogsolitude_uk says:

Those two guys in hats are playing a rather surreal game of chess – there are no white pieces (unless Black’s managed to promote all his pawns to different pieces, and White’s king is hidden somewhere)…

(Apologies if this is a known issue – I’m still sort of new here)

26. Scatterbrainpaul says:

I’m thinking about coming back to eve, had a good couple of months in rps holdings before Xmas, was good fun. Sadly had to give it up due to time and money (but now that meow meow is illegal, I have some spare money around).

It’s probably time to come out of my 4 month rage quit, after my reaper was blown up

27. RedFred says:

Lag prohibits me! Curse you damn lag!

28. ManaTree says:

Ahem! I would like to draw everyone’s attention, to me! Me! *taps glass*

I’m figuring out if we should make a GOG.com RPS group. As in, play games from GOG.com. Probably more multiplayer oriented. I may make that extend to indie/budget multiplayer games such as Altitude, Madballs and/or Plain Sight, however. So perhaps it’s about cheap games. Nonetheless, if this sounds interesting and/or you have any input/questions, please go right ahead to the next link! Any input will help me gauge interest! Also, I am looking for someone to be the real leader, because I’m quite sure I’m not suited for it. But I’m pretty sure the demand for this kind of group is existent.

29. Ser Curry says:

I’m still looking for someone to play Warband online with. If you’ve got vent or something similar we can put our blades inbetwixt soms neck-heads. Yeah that made more sense in my own head.

Anyway, drop me a message on steam, Curry the Great is my ID. Cheerio.

30. Kez says:

Had a great time last night on the US BFBC2 server! I’ll be sticking to that one as much as possible. If I’m going to be cannon fodder, I’ll be RPS cannon fodder.

Playing as KezCrash, feel free to friend/chat me up.

31. cullnean(ld) says:

i love you man

32. neolith says:

Somehow my server browser is unable to find any RPS server in BC2… :(

33. i am paul newman says:

it only works under certain conditions, air humidity and credit rating mostly

Comment on this story