Sniper: Ghost Warrior Features Jungle

By Jim Rossignol on April 6th, 2010 at 12:44 pm.

The tropical environment, not the music. The music, in fact, is that BA-DA-DA BA-DA-DA orchestral stuff that means ACTION is about to occur. The Sniper: Ghost Warrior trailer claims that the footage is created using the game engine, but the trailer is nevertheless FMV, presumably showing how the game is meant to be understood. You’re a sniper, you shoot people from far away. There’s a chance it will be awemazing, I suppose, depending on the craft of the long-distance shooty, but it’s being developed by City Interactive, who don’t have the very best track record with such things. Anyway, it’s looking superficially fancy, so go take a peek.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Heliosicle says:

red blood is red.

2. HexagonalBolts says:

From the makers of: Chicken riot, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny and Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life.

3. Tei says:

The engine is lovelly, It fell like can manage big outdoors, with million polys.. Lets suppose the LOD algorithm is rather good. It also make some really nice realtime shadows. And the human rendering seems half good, judging by the dude in the copter.
    The sniper is rendered like a wookie in the forest of Endor. What make me think why your standard weapon as wookie in Star Wars Battlefront is that lame xbow. I don’t like xbows and how feel in Mount and Blade warband. How has this anything to do with the game? Nothing. I am here, talking about wookies, in a game with snipers. It don’t make any sense. does it make sense? No! Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury, it does not make sense! If Chewbacca lives on Endor, you must acquit! The defense rests.

• Brumisator says:

*pumps Tei full of tranquilisers*
      There there, all better now.

I’ve been waiting for a good sniper game for a long time now.
      Apart from Arma2 ACE2, I can think of no game that does it well.
      And even there, it’s by far not the main focus of the game.

(and don’t get me started on sniper elite)

• Gutter says:

Wookie defense jokes? hmmm Tei is curioser and curioser

• Kieron Gillen says:

Never change, Tei.

KG

• Dan (WR) says:

Tei is my favourite BFBC2 Wookie. (I play as Wayward_Ronin. *waves*)

• Andy says:

That was a pleasure to read, as it slowly dawned on me that you were doing the wookie joke from south park.

Tei for president.

• Lack_26 says:

Tei for PM for that matter, if he’s on the ballet on May 6th I’ll vote for him.

• squirrel says:

@Dan (WR)

Very interesting cartoon, even more amazing as I am often one of those bears :P

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

@ Lack_26: Tei as a ballet dancing Prime Minister? Someone make it happen.

• Tei says:

Asscivertisements:
      ,Y--------------- ._
      ,-' '`-...._____________________
      _/' ____ | | |
      |' ,/----+---' \ | | |
      | .' / | '| | | |
      | | | | ,| ,--------+----'-+-------
      ` ...\___/ "--' | | '
      \. ,'
      .-------. .-------. .-'''-. '`-----' Get your RPS,
      | _ _ \ \ _(`)_ \ / _ \ a very nic_ PC blog!
      | ( ' ) | | (_ o._)| (`' )/`--'
      |(_ o _) / | (_,_) /(_ o _).
      | (_,_).' __ | '-.-' (_,_). '. | |
      ___| |__ |___ | |_ __|_|_ _ _ __
      / __| '_ \ / _ \| __/ _` | | | | '_ \
      \__ \ | | | (_) | || (_| | |_| | | | |
      |___/_| |_|\___/ \__\__, |\__,_|_| |_|
      __/ |

• Tei says:

Grrrrr… I failed again. But one day… I will return more powerfull than ever!

4. Man Raised By Puffins says:

A Great Northern Diver in the jungle? I am disappoint.

5. ZIGS says:

Why is City Interactive trying to make pseudo-AAA games? :\

6. Jerricho says:

Oh, the old Chewbacca defence again. Not much to add to that other than sniping is fun. I’ve been having lots of fun with it in Borderlands though I have to wonder at a game built entirely on being a sniper as its premise. It rather suggests there would be lots and LOTS of running and/or crawling through jungle. It might be brilliantly rendered jungle but thats still lots and LOTS of running and/or crawling. I like the slow-motion tracking with the bullet when the shot hits. I’ve seen it put to good use in games like Hunting unlimited and Max Payne 2. It doesn’t seem to ever get old.

7. Oneironaut says:

I really liked Sniper Elite because of the realistic physics on your bullets, you had to relearn how to shoot for that game. If this does that well, and with better graphics I’ll probably buy it. It even appears to have the bullet cam that shows you headshots like Sniper Elite did.

8. /V/endetta says:

Damn snipers !

The most hated “class” in almost every online sh00ter.

9. mrpier says:

Can’t help looking forward to this just a little bit.

10. robrob says:

Nice to see the Max Payne sniper cam making an appearance

11. Kierkegaard says:

It really would be nice if this will be good. I enjoyed sniper elite, and sniping in general. Presumably this is a sign of something, shooting people in the face from far away is either good sense or the defintion of a psychotic bastard. Not sure which.

12. squirrel says:

Sniping is very painful when gameplay is laggy, and gamers outside South Korea probably cannot avoid lagging. If the response from server is in absolutely no delay, however, sniping can be the most exciting part in any shooter game featuring it. The aiming, the hide-and-seek,……, men it’s just so addictive.

Hell, I hate those irresponsible ISPs which blame on “illegal transfer” as sole reason for constrained online capacity. They should deliver what they are paid for so that gamers can enjoy truly exciting gaming experience.

• Dave says:

Unless you’re playing TF2. Then it seems like all the snipers have 200ms ping and are killing you after you’ve already put three walls between you and them. :P

13. Jacques says:

most likely, both

Also, this game would be so much more fun if, as in the original post, you were a ghost, which may yet be the case (Frak off, I know it’s unlikely as hell, let a man dream)

14. Michael says:

Seen the trailer 2 days ago or so. Again they fuck up the FEAR-Engine. They did it before in Terrorist Takedown 2 and in Operation Blitzsturm. Both horrible games I had to play to pay my rent -.-

15. MattWBP says:

Can I just say that nothing in the video rings my “FMV” alarm. Everything demonstrated is very possible within a modern gaming engine and you can see a crispness to poorly anti-aliased elements. It’s undoubtedly scripted, but that’s not FMV.

16. Jad says:

I love the modern technology. Think about it, just a couple of years ago the best in the business struggled to make a tree in a game that looked anything like a tree. Most FPSes were in warehouses and science facilities and bombed-out villages, because they had lots of sharp angles and short sightlines. Now even budget-label devs like City Interactive can make games in the jungle, with thousands of leaves in every shot, dense undergrowth, distant vistas, etc.

Don’t know if the gameplay will be any good, but as far as visuals go: ain’t the present grand?

17. Brulleks says:

I really, really hope this is good. Not because I’m longing to play a jungly sniper game, but because I love the idea of some little development team that’s become renowned for creating sub-par point-and-clicks and hidden object games suddenly turning round and saying ‘HA! See? This is what we’ve really been doing all this time.’

18. Dan K says:

This looks liek exactly the type of game I want to play. Sneaky, silent and bloody lovely to look at. Looks to rival Cry-engine for lush greenery.
    Tiny niggle though is the M4 / M16 variant as a sniper weapon, I like sniper rifles dammit. Not that i think for one second this will impact the way the game plays.

19. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Sniper: Standing up whilst sniping warrior.

Not seeing any real attempt at realism based on this video, but I’m interested nonetheless.

20. heartless_ says:

If only the bad guys had spent some of their money on cement bunkers they wouldn’t have to hide behind flimsy tin metal roofs and cardboard walls.

21. Unaco says:

I’m thinking there will be Co-Op play.

22. morte says:

Ghillie suit with exposed forearms, and a camp that doesnt appear to respond to a sniper attack.
    Pedant:Ghost warrior this isn’t. Could be fun though.

23. mlaskus says:

I remember reading an interview with City Interactive’s CEO a year or two ago. He explained their business model. They generally spam the market with low quality titles that sell at most a few hundred thousand copies each. Their production costs and development time are so little that they have some ridiculous income.

24. DarkDobe says:

I’m curious to know why this sniper focused game doesn’t render the actual sniping properly. Shooters don’t close one eye and focus entirely through the scope – you’re losing an insane amount of situational awareness doing so. The last title that managed this properly was Red Orchestra – though their limiting factor would have been important things like depth of field /focus.

25. Frankle says:

I have a feeling that the downfall of this game will be either:
    A: enemies with extra extra super eagle vision O DOOM
    or option
    B: enemies that should have gone to specsavers.
    Or even worse CONSOLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

26. N says:

The beginning reminds me of Sniper: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108171/

Billy Zane lol.

Flick has some memorable scenes though, hoping this game will have it’s own.

27. Davie says:

A game where you shoot men with scoped weapons?

NO. WAY.

My mind is blown.

All sarcasm aside, this looks like it could be a bit fun. Still, a FPS game focused entirely around sniping seems kind of like an RTS based entirely around building siege workshops: it’s part of a larger system that works well, but it’s really not all that much on its own.

28. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Ba-da-da ba-da-da? Are we going to see intense waltzing action?

Comment on this story