Dev To Make Shooter With Horror Themes

By Jim Rossignol on April 7th, 2010 at 10:35 am.

Splendidly-named Polish developer Nicolas Intoxicate have announced they’ll be publishing an Unreal-powered horror shooter called Afterfall: Insanity via German publishers The Game Company. That’s pretty much all I’ve got, but I just liked the screenshot of some armoured dude wearing what look like fairy-wings. Yeah.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Colthor says:

They’re wings like Polish Winged Hussars.

Should make going through low doorways fun.

• mlaskus says:

Yup, I wonder if they will be as badass as their historical counterparts.

• Andrew Dunn says:

Yeah it’s clearly a hussar homage/reference. God look at all these scrubs down there with their 40K and their biology! Aren’t they silly.

• Lack_26 says:

They’re a Polish developer, so the Hussars thing actual makes a lot of sense.

2. The Dark One says:

A red cross, eh? While Fighting Templars in space doesn’t seem like the worst direction it could go.

3. The Pink Ninja says:

Afterfall: Insanity = 40K + Star Wars + Doom

4. battles_atlas says:

I’ve got a B in Biology at A level, and there is no way those wings are generating the uplift necessary to get an amoured dude off the ground. Devs are gonna have to patch this one.

• Drexer says:

Last time I checked it was physics that was used to calculate the necessary uplift, not biology.

They do seem awful small to be anything other than decoration though.

• Phoshi says:

How about if all of those feathers were big-ass rocket thrusters? That’d be awesome.

• TeeJay says:

“Unified Physics Theory Explains Animals’ Running, Flying And Swimming”

(First published in the January 2006 issue of The Journal of Experimental Biology by Adrian Bejan, J. A. Jones Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Duke University’s Pratt School of Engineering)

• battles_atlas says:

Yeah you could calculate it with physics, or you could just point at a bird and say “flying thing has big wings”

• mrmud says:

You could also point at a rocket and say “not necessarily”

5. pkt-zer0 says:

Umm… horror shooter? Last I checked this game was supposed to be a turn-based isometric RPG in the vein of Fallout (official site seems down, but you can check NMA or RPG Codex for older news). Or did they just decide to start another project as well? Hmm.

6. user@example.com says:

I’m sure I’ve seen those on a Deathwing Terminator. Yeah, even though they’re meant to be more native american than whoever really did use those things.

40K was never much for historical accuracy… and the Rainbow Warriors were awesome, screw the haters.

7. taikonaut says:

The world SO much needs a 40k shooter…!

8. bill says:

Reminds me of the awesome Requiem: Avenging Angel for some reason.

Why have no other games allowed me to turn people into pillars of salt?

Or pepper?

• Jad says:

Oh man, I really want GOG to get that game. I tried downloading it off some abandonware site a year ago, but it didn’t play well with my modern computer and I didn’t feel like fiddling around to get it working.

9. kikito says:

Call me crazy, but that white soldier doesn’t know anything about camouflage or cover.

10. Petethegoat says:

Mmmmmmmmmm.
    I will be buying this unconditionally.

Sure, at first glance it may look like your average FPS staple; boxes, barrels, corridor, but then!
    “some armoured dude wearing what look like fairy-wings.”

11. Alexander Norris says:

It’d be super neat if devs could stop using Double: Barrelled names. They’re starting to seem more than a little bland.

Anyway, the concept of this looks pretty good; I just won’t be playing it, since I absolutely hate anything scary.

12. Gurrah says:

I don’t know why, but that screenshot reminds me of Morrowinds opening sequence.

13. Blacktick says:

Like someone already said that this game was suppose to be a turn based rpg.
    Too bad they changed the game altogether and decided to make a fps(like we don’t have enough of those already),only the name stayed the same.

I even donated to the development process years back when it was a rpg…lot of good that did!
    It could have been something good and stand out,but now i’m afraid it’s like all the other shooters…

14. Jacques says:

instead of like all the RPGs that exist…

40K is clearly an inspiration here, given, I wouldn’t wanna deal with Games Workshop either

15. Navagon says:

Nothing too inspirational so far. What I want to see from smaller devs is the creativeness that the bigger publishers won’t touch. At face value, another FPS with a horror theme doesn’t really cut it.

16. BeamSplashX says:

What is an Afterfall? Does it follow a Darkfall? Is Insanity the first phase of an Afterfall?

P.S. Those crates look Borderlands-ish…

17. Kong says:

Bumble-Bees should not fly either.
    Hussar Wings attached to a bright colored impractical armour.
    Why must I always be reminded of the Star Wars desaster, when a bunch of teddy bears kick the mighty empire’s ass with sticks and stones. There is a message in the story, alright. The force is strong ok. But being a stromtropper is a shitty job to begin with, wearing a totally useless piece of white crap does not make it any better.
    I hate such designs since The Return of the Jedi came out. I was 14 years old at the time. Age did not make me more forgiving. What I hate most: disfunctional shoulder pads.
    Sigh, they will never learn.