Mod News: Losing Track Of Time

By Lewis Denby on April 7th, 2010 at 11:06 am.

OH CRAP, IT’S ALMOST WEDNESDAY. Which means I’ve spent the last seven days forgetting to compile a list of the latest interesting mod-happenings, and since Gentleman Jim needs my copy by tonight, I’m having to do it all now. Even though I should totally be tidying my flat, which I also forgot to keep on top of this last week. Right then. Mods. Here’s your lot.

- Ooh, a truckload of Just Cause 2 mods. Particularly interesting is talk of a multiplayer mod. The only thing more brilliant than tethering people to other people would be tethering real people to other real people.

- No idea what the name’s about, but Thieveous looks rather interesting. It’s a Doom 3 sneak-em-up, looking a bit like Thief and thus being the second exciting prospect in Doom 3-based stealthing in recent times. Here‘s a big news update, with images and videos. They might want to think about scaling back the HDR lighting, since it almost made me blind.

- HL2 mod Tension features first-person grappling-hook platforming. Which should sell you on it already, I’m sure. The team’s also posted an interesting video about how the level design style has progressed through the testing process.

- First Strike, an ongoing Star Wars-based Battlefield 2142 mod project, is recruiting all sorts of folks to help work on its next update.

- Still on Battlefield but two centuries earlier, Eve of Destruction has a new version out.

- Firearms: Source drops dedicated servers and introduces something called FANet.

- Oh, no, it was an APRIL LIE.

- HL2 scary-spooky mod Visage is looking very promising. Here’s some new info and media.

- ModDB starts charging for membership OH NO THAT WAS AN APRIL FOOLS DAY JOKE AS WELL. At least, I /assume/ it was. Writing up news from the 1st April is a /nightmare/. I wish we just stuck fish on each other’s backs like the French.

- I really like Blue Portals’ art style.

As usual, here’s the obligatory plug for UserCreated, where you can quite literally read blog posts about mods. Ta-ra!

Ging says:

Tension looks pretty ace, I’m liking their grapple hook implentation – the dev textures and basic lighting make it look very mirrors edge, but hopefully they’ll go their own way with presentation.

• radomaj says:

Ging, I’m pretty sure that orange-and-grey texture is just the WIP textrure everyone (in Source) uses when they are building a map and haven’t decided on/started texturing yet.

2. Schmung says:

I am continually surprised by how gullible some people are – there were some genuinely vitriol laden posts on the forum and moddb page after the Firearms April fools thing. Mind you, they were taken in by the attack trike last year, so I guess I shouldn’t be that surprised.

Tension looks like it could be really good, the dev textured thing is I hope just them getting a feel for the way they need to build stuff rather than an art style that they’re going for because I think there’s great potential there within the brushwork that they’ve got to do something really clever with the detailing and theming. Going to keep my eye on that one.

3. Heliocentric says:

Firearms april fools reported as news a week later?

• Heliocentric says:

Read the whole post.
      Read the whole post.
      Read the whole post.
      Read the whole post.

4. bildo says:

@Denby

If you can get concrete information from the Black Mesa Team you are god. Until then, I feel Tension in the air.

5. Latterman says:

Fook (Fallout 3 complete overhaul) 1.1 Open Beta has gone live around a week ago.

• MWoody says:

It’s a pity it broke so much inter-compatibility with other mods. I’ve been waiting specifically for 1.1 to play my Game of the Year edition, but Mart’s Monster Mod adds such a ridiculous amount of content it seems foolish to play without it.

Oh well, back to Transcendence, and wondering why RPS doesn’t cover it.

6. TeeJay says:

“tethering real people to other real people”
    There’s a whole neighbourhood in Second Life which specialises it that.

7. yogSo says:

So, no love for the Fallout 2 Restoration Project v2.0.2d? I know the game is old and all, but now, among other things:

- You can find Sulik’s sister!
    - You can confront the fallen-to-the-dark-side Chosen One former candidate.
    - You can recruit 3 new NPCs.
    - You can get all those pesky little kids of The Den off the streets, so no more pickpocketing your valuable trinkets everytime you walk near them!
    - You can visit new locations like the EPA, Sulik’s Village, Slaver’s Camp and the Leibowitz-like monks of the Abbey.
    - Did I already mention you can – at long last! – find and rescue Sulik’s sister?

(OK, most of those things were already present in the 1.2 version, just a quick summary to anyone not already familiar with this mod. In any case, 2.0 has improved all of the restored content, dialogue and quest-wise, and includes the High Resolution Mod. Plus this new version incorporates the lattest and most complete version of Killap’s Unofficial Patch, which fixes a hundred more bugs still present in the original game.)

8. MWoody says:

The Just Cause 2 mod is fake. He just registered the domain for the hell of it, because he could. Squatting, essentially.

I mean, how would that work, anyway? GTA: San Andreas multi worked because it had rudimentary multiplayer in it already; they just expanded upon that feature. JC2 is single player through and through, and last I checked, it doesn’t even have an SDK. The biggest mod for the game is a simple memory-resident trainer that requires you to tab out to detach ropes. It’d be an order of magnitude easier to write an entire new game than it would be to add multiplayer to JC2.

9. Alex Smith says:

The first public release of my mod for Episode 2 was released recently. It is single player and called swarm. It involves fighting thousands of combine soldiers with the help of friendly combine. All enemies are created by spawns that need to be disabled. You are always making money for killing enemies and can use this to buy weapons and friendly spawns. Response has been positive since the release.
    Also I am currently testing the third level for the next beta. It adds armor for all spawns, plus floor turrets for the player to use.
    Here is the website where people can view media from the game and download the beta.

10. Alex Smith says:

The first public release of my mod for Episode 2 was released
    recently. It is single player and called swarm. It involves fighting
    thousands of combine soldiers with the help of friendly combine. All
    enemies are created by spawns that need to be disabled. You are always
    making money for killing enemies and can use this to buy weapons and
    friendly spawns. Response has been positive since the release.
    Also I
    am currently testing the third level for the next beta. It adds armor
    for all spawns, plus floor turrets for the player to use.
    Here is the
    website where people can view media from the game and download the
    beta.