Seriouser: Serious Sam HD SE Trailer

By John Walker on April 8th, 2010 at 9:39 am.

Perhaps they just want to talk?

After the really rather splendid job Croteam did with remaking Serious Sam, it’s good news to see Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter coming along so soon. You can see a frenetic trailer of the action action action below, and begin salivating over a co-op play-through of the second game’s manic scenes.

The new content includes, beyond the complete overhaul of the engine obviously, integration with Steam, letting you play 16-player deathmatch in both old and new maps. There’s also a bunch of achievements for anyone weird enough to care about that. And more importantly, Survival, Co-Op (including Coin-Op Co-Op), Versus and Team modes (including Team Deathmatch, CTF and Last Team Standing).

Also, there’s shooting stuff. Lots.

And never forget this.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Shadowcat says:

I look forward to buying these whenever Croteam get around to releasing them without Steam.

• jon_hill987 says:

I look forward to the day when people don’t refuse to buy a game purely because it uses Steamworks…

• Hmm says:

@jon_hill987

And I look forward to the day when people don’t refuse to buy a game purely because it uses Ubi’s Online Services. If everyone’s fine buying multiplayer-oriented games, why is the online requirement such a problem? Especially if the game is very good and worth supporting.

See? Everyone has different opinions. Steam exclusivity is stupid, I’d rather buy the game from Impulse, explain to my why I can’t.

• Malibu Stacey says:

I’m just guessing here but it’s likely because the dev’s enjoy things like food & being able to pay their rent & thus release through a channel which will expose them to the largest potential sales.

Personally I’d love to see things like Steamworks & Impulse Reactor being interchangeable as in you buy the game through Steam, you get Steamworks doing all the cloud saving etc, you buy it through Impulse, you get Impulse Reactor doing all the heavy lifting (insert nth option here). Not sure how they’d support retail in that case, maybe you get to choose where to register your serial & once it’s done you can’t change it but at least it would give people a choice.

2. Dominic White says:

SS:TSE was a huge step up from the original release. Much more varied environments, more interesting enemies, and and even cornier sense of humor.

Bring on the update!

3. Monchberter says:

Agreed. Second Encounter was definitely much better than the first.

4. Astatine says:

Ooh, gimme gimme. Had a blast with the First Encounter at a LAN party recently, but it’s all too short, finished it in a few hours.

It would be nice to get some new levels with a more modern degree of scenery complexity but this’ll do fine. I want to see that inside-of-a-cylinder room again!

5. Hmm says:

I’m probably in the minority, but I hated the Second Encounter. The original was – for me – much more consistent, playble, better designed and overall fun. SE was simply… stupid. They trew everything into one game – everything felt so random, from enemies to environments. Most importantly, it completely lacked any kind of atmosphere.

6. Vandelay says:

Never got round to playing the Second Encounter, so I’ve been looking forward to this one. I’m hoping they release a well priced bundle with the two remakes. An epic Co-Op game through the two would be awesome.

7. Malibu Stacey says:

As I own the original version of First Encounter & Second Encounter I held off buying the HD version of First Encounter (even when on sale) in the hope they’d also remake Second Encounter so I could pick up both of them in a double pack sale.

I just hope they retrofit the new multiplayer stuff to the HD version of First Encounter too (if it’s not there already, as I said don’t have it yet).

8. jsutcliffe says:

I didn’t bother with the first remake, but I really was hoping they’d do Second Encounter. It totally upped the ridiculousness factor, and gave me one of my favourite gaming moments (which I’ve probably repeated here more often that Walker has explained why he quit WoW) — fighting exploding frogs and skeletal horses in a room made of trampolines.

9. Urthman says:

Both games were great fun, but nothing in the Second Encounter matched the awesome hugeness of the final boss battle of the first game. At the time it was exactly what I’d been clamoring for: “Carmack! Stop making things 30% prettier when you could instead be making them 500% bigger!”

(Also “Don’t give me 5 enemies with 100,000 polygons, give me 500 enemies with a thousand polygons,” which Serious Sam also did.)

In this post-God of War era, the gargantuan boss is becoming a cliche, but at the time it was one of the biggest “wow” moments I’d had in gaming.

10. Will Taylor says: