F.E.A.R. 3: F***ton Petal and Pointy Man

By Alec Meer on April 9th, 2010 at 7:54 am.

I awake at 6 am, fully-clothed, drool-covered hands on drool-covered laptop keyboard, nonsense half-sentences on the screen. I brush the sleeping cat off my feet, I rub my agonisingly cricked neck, and I cursecursecurse my decision to go drinking with Kieron and his comics friends rather than cook myself a sensible supper. I also realise I am at least six hours late for Thursday’s posts on RPS. I must do them now! But about what? I scour my boozy dreams for inspiration. One in which a PR agency was circulating an image of Felicia Day with a badly Photoshopped-on beard and claiming it was their new hiring, Dave. Something about birds fighting. No, I can’t tell you that one. Ah yes, F.E.A.R 3. I actually dreamed about sodding F.E.A.R. 3.

The dream, it seems, was in response to the reveal that the thing is to be called F.E.A.R. 3 after all, and not the ludicrous F.3.A.R. suggested by a Spanish magazine a few weeks back. It takes me a moment to separate reality from sleepy fiction.

Yes, it is called F.E.A.R. 3., but they’re keeping the stupid F.3.A.R. logo.

No, Warner Brothers did not issue aggressive take-down notices to any site that had previously referred to it as F.3.A.R. Or did they? I had to check my inbox several times to be sure. No, they didn’t.

Yes, John Carpenter, director of The Thing and Big Trouble In Little China is involved.

No, it is not about scary olives. I don’t have to check my inbox on that one.

Yes, they’re still banging the same scary dark-haired girl drum. But now with more pregnancy:

No, it is not being developed by series creators Monolith. Day 1 Studios, who handled the console ports of F.E.A.R. 1 and were responsible for the underwhelming Fracture, are leads on this, with Monolith providing some sort of support. “Support” as in “wearing the money hat”, perhaps. I hope against hope this means the formerly mightly ‘Lith are working on something interesting for the first time in years. You were the SHOGO guys! The NOLF guys! What happened?

Yes, it’s co-op.

No, it does not star someone called Fuckton Petal. But my dream was nearly right – one of the playable characters is one Paxton Fettel, a mysteriously resurrected cannibal psycho dude who happens to be the son of spooky lass Alma. As does the other playable character, disappointly known as Point Man rather than Pointy Man. I would play a game starring Fuckton Petal and Pointy Man in a second. I dunno about F.E.A.R. 3, though.

Yes, there was a press release, which means I can paste in that, finish this tortured post and go make another coffee.

Burbank, Calif. – April 8, 2010 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces F.E.A.R. 3, a heart-pounding paranormal horror first person shooter unleashing intense combat, compelling narrative and co-op play that evolves the franchise. F.E.A.R. 3 is set to release on the Xbox 360┬« video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation┬«3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC in fall 2010.

Alma returns in F.E.A.R. 3 but this time her sons Point Man and Paxton Fettel introduce divergent co-op, giving players distinctly different abilities affecting their own play as well as the experience of their co-op partner. Gamers participate in single player or co-op modes as Point Man, a genetically enhanced super soldier originally introduced in F.E.A.R., or they can play cooperatively as his conniving brother Paxton Fettel, whose incredible telekinetic power has given him life beyond the grave. The game is developed by Day 1 Studios, developer of the original F.E.A.R. console games in collaboration with Monolith Studios.

“Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment is evolving the F.E.A.R. brand with top horror, co-op and first person shooter combat in F.E.A.R. 3,” said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “Monolith Productions has passed the torch to Day 1 Studios to create a quality, powerful game that stays true to the roots of the F.E.A.R. franchise but takes players to a heightened level of gameplay.”

To further ensure extreme terror in F.E.A.R. 3, legendary horror director John Carpenter (Halloween, Village of the Damned) and critically acclaimed horror comic and script writer Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) have provided consultation to enhance several of the game’s frightening aspects. Steve Niles co-wrote the game script with the development team and John Carpenter provided his expertise in crafting the in-game cinematics.

“After working closely with Monolith, Day 1 is honored to bring the next iteration of the F.E.A.R. franchise to gamers with key elements of the past games yet providing fresh combat and horror experiences in F.E.A.R. 3,” said Denny Thorley, Founder and President, Day 1 Studios. “Players can look forward to new features such as divergent co-op, an evolved cover system, and more scares in F.E.A.R. 3.”

For more information about F.E.A.R. 3, please visit www.whatisfear.com.

, , , .

1. hairCute says:

Good Lard. How fucking boring. Not the article, Mr. Meer. I meant the game.

2. Julian Calaby says:

Oh god, that almost looks awful. That’s how bad it is.

3. Mithrandir0x says:

And then I thought that a new Shogo would make the day. Such a shame…

4. Carter says:

There are literally 4 seconds of game footage in those 2 minutes and 20 seconds of amateur dramatics, that’s not right.

5. Miker says:

I would do terrible, terrible things for SHOGO 2. It’s a shame that the first is kinda wonky to play nowadays. Last time I tried it, I couldn’t get mouselook working. Or something like that.

• ZIGS says:

I got the gog.com version and worked perfectly on XP. Shame it’s only about 4 hours long :(

6. nine says:

I’m already let down by the game.

7. Saucy says:

BRRRRROTHERRRRRRRRRRRR is killing again.

Paxton Fettel’s channeling Liquid Snake there.

Also, this looks boring.

8. Subject 706 says:

As if FEAR2 wasn’t disappointing enough, this time they are going to make yet another disappointing sequel, with gimmicky features shoe-horned in…

• Stromko says:

If they don’t make every franchise a trilogy, God kills a kitten

• Grunt says:

The System Shock series didn’t just kill the kitten, it resurrected it afterwards with scary cyborg tech and gene-tailored psychic powers.

9. Roguemonkey says:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that I thoroughly enjoyed Fear 2. I thought it was a very fun shooter with extremely solid mechanics (it helps that I’m a sucker for bullet-time), and I remember it doing a pretty good job at scaring me shitless when I played it late at night in a dark room with the sound cranked up. It’s definitely not one of my favorite games ever, but I have a lot of fondness for the series (excluding the execrable expansion packs for Fear 1) and I’d probably pick up a sequel.

• Enshu says:

I hear ye:^)
      I actually quite liked the blasted city, the whole atmosphere of something wickedly scary – well, before they let us know who’s behind this and how come its _her_again, – and those little school bits about scientists doing science on little kids (yeah, I’m a teacher, and some kids could use some scince done on them).
      Now, it’s not like I’m rooting for this “3″ thingie, in fact, I feel suspicious when a game has a number that’s more than 2 in its name (except for HL3 looks like), but since I like gamse that are not simply about shooting, but about shooting some weirdos in sick surroundings with occasional screams and sighs providing cheap suspense…I’ll wait and see.

• The Colonel says:

OOohhh don’t stand on that branch, I think its dead.

10. Rich says:

Am I the only one feeling optimistic about this? I didn’t waste my time with fear 2, but I enjoyed the original fear and I always enjoy a bit of coop. I won’t write them off just yet.

Also great news that Monolith is moving away from this franchise. I’m eagerly awaiting what they come up with next.

11. Optimaximal says:

Seriously, they’re bringing back Point Man, yet are still referring to him as Point Man? Lame!

12. Heliosicle says:

forgetting the entire gameplay thing, anyone think the story has got way out of hand and is now just way more disturbing than in the interesting FEAR?

13. Pew says:

Until a new Shogo, the Transformers: War for Cybertron game might be the closest thing we’ll get to it. If it doesn’t suck, that is…

Also, Village of the Damned? That was the best cred they could come up with for John Carpenter in a PR release?

14. The Dark One says:

In a just world they’d be working on a new Tron game, instead of some generic Disney studio.

15. Sobric says:

a heart-pounding paranormal horror first person shooter”
    “intense combat”
    “compelling narrative”
    “co-op play that evolves the franchise”

Using my very own telekenisis powers that are keeping me from the grave, I predict that this game will fulfill absolutely none of the above.

16. Magic H8 Ball says:

Will it have mouse support?

• MultiVaC says:

I hear some PC games even have custom stuff like graphics options and text chat these days.

17. garreth says:

“Alma returns in F.E.A.R. 3 but this time her sons Point Man and Paxton Fettel…”
    Does this seem to anyone else like they are implying that Point Man is his actual name?

18. Magic H8 Ball says:

Well, FEAR 2 shipped with no support for 4:3 resolutions so I’m just realistically expecting escalation in the sequel.

• The Dark One says:

I can’t wait for 64:27 resolutions to become the new console standard. It’s so cinematic!

19. mrpier says:

Why is live action trailers for games suddenly all the rage now? Wonder if they’re becoming cheaper than hiring top talent in cgi-moviemaking (Doubt it though).

20. Rick says:

I can’t possibly be the only one who enjoyed FEAR 2. It wasn’t “that” bad, I rather enjoyed the Beckett storyline with all his squad.

21. The Sombrero Kid says:

the best news in this post is that monolith are presumably working on something that’s not fear

22. sfury says:

Bring Kate Archer back!

• Premium User Badge Wisq says:

“Cate”, actually. And yes, they should totally bring her back. I didn’t actually play NOLF / NOLF 2 until just this year, and I was shocked that the whole fantastic series (well, all two games, never mind the later stuff) had managed to slip by me.

23. Calabi says:

That was pretty, interesting change of direction though, turning the Fear’s into comedy’s. Not sure if it’ll work thought the name fear does conjure up certain connotations. They should change the name to Funny 3 then it would fit better.

24. Dreamhacker says:

Monolith! Stop prostituting yourselves to VUG/Warner Bros! We don’t want this crap!

25. Muzman says:

I was hoping the twist would be Point Man is just a dot in space

26. /V/endetta says:

Tim Buckley needs to make a comic about that pregnant chick Alma, if you catch my drift ;]

27. Real Horrorshow says:

Fuck this game. Valve needs to buy the rights to No One Lives Forever.

• Muzman says:

Chet and Erik and the TF2 “Meet the..” people doing a NOLF sequel.
      Oh my lordy.

• Mr_Day says:

The best part about that would be the inevitable Spy cameo.

28. Reno Brainz says:

They are working on NOLF 3

/sacrifices a goat

29. Skurmedel says:

Isn’t Paxton Fettel the cannibal I chased through all of F.E.A.R? Who hit me in the head with a 2 by 4 and butchered people tied to chairs. This makes no sense to me, I liked the first one, but are you actually playing as Paxton now? Do you get to skin people alive? Control platoons with telepathy?

30. Pani says:

Goodness, that trailer was horrendous…

31. Aemony says:

F.E.A.R. 3? The first and second game was awesome just because Monolith created them, but I’m kinda sceptic about this so called third game.

32. JKjoker says:

that trailer looks AWFUL … Monolith, seriously, drop that crappy HALO clone with goth pregnant chicks series that was never any good and go do something worthwhile like NOLF3, SHOGO2 or Tron 3.0

33. Flaringo says:

F.3.A.R.? Really?

34. Sonic Goo says:

While I do tend to get annoyed with people asking for sequel this, sequel that, I’m really, really hoping for a NOLF 3. Or at least something just as fun and interesting.

35. Malibu Stacey says:

F.E.A.R should’ve been left alone after the first game but alas the money machine needs to be fed with francises regularly otherwise it might stop chugging along & then all hell would break loose.
    I have the expansion & the expandalone, both were crap. I demo’d the 2nd game which thankfully saved me the money & effort of playing the full game. If this is anything other than a steaming pile of shit I’ll be very much surprised.

36. DXN says:

I’m so stealing those names. :D

37. Eschatos says:

I was under the impression that the 15 shotgun shells I put into Mr. Fettel’s head at the end of FEAR 1 had killed him. My mistake.

• Heliocentric says:

The fear 2 expansion “reborn” covers this a little.

38. ZIGS says:

You were the SHOGO guys! The NOLF guys! What happened?

Console’s mainstream acceptance. That’s what happened

39. SF Legend says:

If you’re going to a cheese convention, remember to pack some feta.

40. Resin says:

The Pointy Birds

the pointy birds are pointy, pointy
    anoint my head, anointy-nointy

What was John Carpenters involvement in this steaming pile? He should really be above this.
    Also, this trailer needs more Cow B3ll !

• Gabbo says:

You haven’t seen his more recent cinematic output have you? This isn’t really below him by any means.
      I was hoping to hear he was going to work on the soundtrack and that was it.

41. amishmonster says:

whatisfear.com
    Baby don’t hurt me
    Don’t hurt me
    No more.

42. Jimmy says:

A little girl said to me today in my family’s house (Easter break) “Look Mum! He’s playing kiddie games and he is 32 years old! You’re playing kiddie games!”. When you’re dreaming about video games all night it is probably time to take a break, do a spot of gardening and jam-making. That said, I kept on playing red orchestra a little longer, before eventually resigning to the fact that I wasn’t making any progress, that the monitor was too small, and that I was now a little demotivated.

43. Grey_Ghost says:

Ghosts of Mars never seems to get mention when talking about John Carpenter heh.

44. Jake says:

Well, regarding Monolith, on the first episode of Weekend Confirmed, Garnett Lee suggested something coming from them related to archery or something to that effect, which can only be a reference to Cate Archer :D

• Bret says:

Hmm. Well, at bare minimum it might lead to the other ones on Steam.

So that’d be nice.

• Heliocentric says:

Or an olympics winter decathalon game.

45. squirrel says:

I used to think games nowadays take 1-2 years for marketing campaign before launch, I guess I am wrong.

46. Smog says:

You get to play as Paxton Fettel and Point Man. Fuck Beckett.

47. BeamSplashX says:

Maybe they’ll all be pregnant by the end of this one.