MAXMIMUM HYPE: The Big Crysis 2 Reveal

By Jim Rossignol on April 9th, 2010 at 2:20 pm.

The internet is about to be ablaze with info from the recent Crysis 2 event in New York, which I totally didn’t get invited to. I’M NOT BITTER. Fortunately news-sleuth Pat from VG247 has a load of it, including an interview with Crytek superboss, Cervat Yerli. Not much concrete on the PC version, other than suggestions that it will be “best”. The impressions of the game sound impressive too, even if it is more aliens, and even if it did cause Pat to collapse into some kind of modernist experimental streamed free-association brain-burst:

Wall Street, through a tunnel and someone talking in ear, like fucking wow, epic scene of crumbling buildings and falling debris player drops out onto ledge and room gasps just fucking awesome zooms in Chrysler building and down onto street trees and burning cars marking enemies scanning MAXIMUM ARMOUR CLOAK ENABLED grab from behind, invisible sneaking round on rooftop shoots human enemy through something like solar cells distance marker on enemies…

Yeah. [There's also an interview with Mr Yerli, by the excellent Miss Alexander, just here.]

, , , .

1. Heliosicle says:

trailer http://www.shackvideo.com/crysis-2-the-wall-trailer-18117 dunno about the music, also it seems to cut out halfway through :/

Damn aliens.

• Heliosicle says:

just the hd stream apparently.

• Rich says:

If Mr fancy combat suit hadn’t just stood around reading pamphlets and actually done something, that marine might have made it out of there. There’s maybe a widow and fatherless child now, all because he wanted to know the intricate details of some special offer on Apple Sourz running at a local nightclub.

2. Network Crayon says:

Hmm I don’t know about this one,

New York, again?! cant we have an alien invasion somewhere else for once? the original games setting was excellent, new york feels like a step backwards in imagination.

the aliens look pretty humaniod to, this has ‘Gears of Crysis’ written over it.

(even that trailers music reminded me of the gears ‘madworld’ trailer)

3. pkt-zer0 says:

More aliens…? *sigh*

4. Shrewsbury says:

Crysis was so boring, but this looks so awesome.

• Eggy says:

How on earth was Crysis boring? It had one of the most innovative AI and destructable terrain, a decent enough story and a few spectacular set pieces on a scale that was unseen before. Doubt you even played the game because everything we’ve seen from Crysis 2 so far isn’t exactly an improvement over Crysis.

• FunkyB says:

Err, it didn’t have destructible terrain and the AI for the aliens was as bad as everything we’ve seen in the past. No worse, but no better.

Crysis was fun till the aliens turned up and then it was samey. Hey, like Far Cry!

• LMN8R says:

Er, the AI for Warhead’s aliens was pretty fucking great, and entertaining as can be to fight against.

• Bhazor says:

“Err, it didn’t have destructible terrain…”

Seriously? You ever tried Crysis? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqUTRFKfUbE it’s pretty good.

• Grunt says:

FunkyB is correct Bhazor. Look up the word ‘Terrain’ sometime. What that video showed off was destructible terrain objects, such as the houses, and the odd tree falling over.

5. Ian says:

As long as the aliens don’t negate the fun of the suit again…

6. Iztli says:

@Shrewsbury

No wonder I recognized your name.. are you just bashing crysis on every game site?? you said the same thing on kotaku… other than that.. this looks ok. music wasn’t very fitting…I want gameplay ><!!!!!!!

7. Shalrath says:

“It had one of the most innovative AI..”
    What?

• Dominic White says:

Aside from nanosuit guys, every human enemy takes one bullet to the head to kill, unless you’re using a silencer, which means that shots to their helmet won’t be instantly lethal. But hey, let’s perpetuate more stupidity in this thread, why don’t we?

If this was up for discussion, I’d be going lighter on you, but about 90% of the parroted complaints about Crysis are objectively, scientifically, measurably wrong.

• durr says:

Actually, I haven’t seen a *true* innovation in FPS AI since… Half-Life 1? Flanking, squad tactics, taking cover… it’s all been done 10 years ago. There are a few new animations and scripted behavior. But what exactly would you need to see an AI do to consider it truly intelligent? In an FPS? All they can do is shoot or take cover.

• Dominic White says:

Erm, most of what you saw as ‘AI’ in HL1 was mostly scripted. Neatly laid-out nodemaps telling the AI what is cover.

The AI in Crysis was mindblowingly advanced compared to that. Unfortunately, people latch on to when it isn’t smart, rather than when it does complex things completely unscripted.

• Dominic White says:

Hell, AI in general is one of the most misunderstood fields in gaming today. Most people know absolutely nothing about it, and often write off scripted behaviour as intelligent, and unscripted behaviour as flawed.

• TeeJay says:

“…what exactly would you need to see an AI do to consider it truly intelligent? In an FPS? All they can do is shoot or take cover…”

The best place to answer this is in multiplayer games, comparing the behaviour of bots to the human players.

In TF2 at the moment I can usually tell extremely quickly if there are bots on a server, although actually explaining why their behaviour is odd is a bit harder. More obvious give aways are the wierd places they build teleports and the way they run in straight lines or use similar routes across the map, but also their lack of hesitation and their risk-taking. However it’s maybe less to do with how “good” a player is and more to do with seeing a player copying, experimenting, learning and adapting that creates the impression of ‘intelligence’.

• Taillefer says:

Opponents need to be artificially dumb to seem intelligent.

• Bhazor says:

“All I remember from crysis was how pretty it was, and how enemies took 100,000 rounds to the skull to kill. On normal.”

Hahahahahahaha no.

Seriously there must be a website somewhere with just a list of completely made up anecdotes for Crysis haters. Look kid, the AI in Crysis is brilliant, covering each other, advancing in formation, calling in back up, blind firing into dense cover when they’ve been alerted to name just a few behaviours. All of them unscripted, all of them brilliantly executed. It sounds like a cliche but every action bubble plays out a different way each time you try to the point that reloading the same checkpoint a dozen times loses almost all frustration.

The game wasn’t perfect but please at least try to look like you’ve played the game before you roll out the memes.

8. Mavvvy says:

Something…something…generic explosions. Its 2010 for Odins Sake where is my hover car and innovation in major computer game titles.

9. Malibu Stacey says:

Ah but it’s going to look so good! Don’t you all realise what games are about? Gameplay is overrated, visual fidelity is where it’s at people!

• Lord_Mordja says:

Except that Crysis had some of the best FPS gameplay in recent years so…

10. z3r0 says:

*yawn*

11. Jimbo says:

I wouldn’t do this if you had an interview of your own up, but there’s an excellent video interview/s with Cervat Yerli and Richard Morgan up on Giant Bomb. Both gentlemen seem refreshingly honest and engaging. Here

12. bleeters says:

Ah, Crysis 2. I can hear my GPU sobbing in despair already. Work harder, maggot!

At any rate, woo I suppose. I mostly enjoyed the first one, when it was still a game about beating men to death with live chickens and being entirely unironic whilst you do it. Taste free-range justice, mislead communists!

The aliens sort of sapped the joy a little with their annoying resilience to poultry alas, but I’m under the impression there’s supposed to be plenty of squishy man creatures to fight off as well? Not that I expect the decaying, war torn ruins of New York will feature as many wandering chickens.

…What?

13. Jahkaivah says:

@Network Crayon

Heh, it almost seems they were tempted to do that but decided against it as it was already done AND parodied:

(Turn the volume off on the first video)

14. bleeters says:

Oh, also? I probably shouldn’t find the oblivous nature of the Hero Of The Game half as amusing as I do.

Helicopter: Kabloom!
    Jake: Huh? Oh, sorry guys. I was staring meaningfully at this scrap of paper.

15. Smurfy says:

MAXMIMUM

16. protorp says:

Wow! I’d know for a while that Richard Morgan was working on a game related project from following his blog ( http://www.richardkmorgan.com/news/15/stated-secrets-and-the-waiting-game/ ) but never would have dreamed that he’d landed such a massive one as his first forray into the field.

I very much want to believe that this will be a winning combination – I really enjoyed Crysis in a wow-pretty-shooter way; I very highly rate Richard Morgan’s fiction and can (now, duh) see the obvious fit between his (post/nu/noir/whatever) cyberpunk action loaded novels and the Crysis world setting and story.

The cynic in me stongly suspects that it won’t live up to the OMG interative Richard Morgan Story dream that I’d like it to be. Nevertheless I will be fascinated to play through it looking for the depth (or not) of his influence.

PS. If you’ve not read his novels I’d reccomend Black Man if you’re after a more setting and character interaction driven inroad, and Altered Carbon if you’d prefer more sheer exuberant sci-fi kerpow action. Having said that both have both these elements, both are well written (with stylings very well crossed over from hardboiled detective fiction) it’s just that Black Man feels the 5 years more mature that it is.

• Grunt says:

Oh, I love Richard Morgan’s books! His involvement in this game has just popped my interest in the game up a notch. Cool.

17. Doctor Doc says:

But does it run Crysis? Two?

18. rocketman71 says:

Oh, god, Cevat Yerli and CliffyB emerge in the same week.

I’m running to my bunker before any of them open their lying mouths.

19. Lord_Mordja says:

I have to say, at least the government’s being honest this time around. “Aliens, Evacuate” as opposed to “Oh gosh we totally don’t know what’s happening probably terrists or something.”

Followed by a nuke from orbit.

20. DazzeL says:

That teaser was awesome. That’s the best game trailer I’ve seen for a while. I’m just not confident the game will be any good….

21. 1stGear says:

Yes, the AI in Crysis was terrible. Which is why it would group up, constantly harry you if you were spotted, and generally make life incredibly difficult for you if you weren’t completely stealthy.

Sounds to me like a lot of people haven’t played the first half on Delta.

If you play the second half or the majority of Warhead on Normal though, I don’t blame you.

• Miker says:

Yeah, I recall the opening level of Warhead being ridiculously punishing. I’m not sure if it was the enemies’ aim getting better or the damage being ramped up, but damn, it was hard.

22. Bhazor says:

Best part of the trailer? The “Government Alien Evac” flyer.
    A flyer? Really? Thats how you tell people to evacuate a city? Someone had to write that up, have it checked, then phone up a commercial level printer, they then had to drive out of town to collect it, drive back (presumably swerving to avoid the tanks and aliens that are approaching) into town, unpack the flyers, then call in people on their day off in order to spend half an hour pasting small posters along a street.

23. Wulf says:

The problem with the New York setting is that I was recently there, and in a game which I honestly feel will have felt vastly superior compared to this, going by my personal tastes: Prototype. I’ll be running around, disappointed by how boring the guns are, and wishing I could whip helicopters out of the sky with a giant gumby arm. It’ll be overshadowed by the fact that I can’t cause mass destruction by making spikes rip up out of the ground, impaling tanks in a really hilarious way.

Compared to that, I can only foresee tedium, so I may well leave this one to the mainstreamers who enjoy this sort of thing.

• Wulf says:

Or is a Mr. Tickle arm the better analogy?

Either or, if I’m in a city, I want superpowers!

24. Tim Ward says:

“The internet is about to be ablaze with info from the recent Crysis 2 ”

Yeah, I doubt that.

25. Fumarole says:

Crysis is the kinda game where you get out of it what you put into it. People who didn’t have fun in Crysis didn’t try very hard.

I can’t be the only one who used stealth to steak up to a hut filled with soldiers, switched to strength to jump onto the roof, punched through the roof to drop into their midst and proceed to cockpunch them all to death in the ensuing confusion, can I?

• Wulf says:

You could say the same about suicide, or anything really. You get out of it what you put into it? Hmm… I’d buy that in regards to an art game, but with an entertainment game the player shouldn’t be put in a position where they have to put in a lot of effort to get any entertainment out of the game. In fact, if it’s not easy to be entertained by a game regardless of how one plays it, then it fails as entertainment.

Also, Fallout was entertaining. And unlike Crysis, the times I cockpunched people there actually mattered. Why? It was hilarious, it was scripted in, the characters knew what you were doing. I remember chasing a crying gang-leader around a ring, sobbing loudly about not letting me take away his manhood. You wouldn’t get something like that in Crysis, so you might as well be punching them in the head.

• Monchberter says:

Agreed.

I think the reason they keep mentioning ‘sandbox gameplay’ all the time is basically the core of Crysis. The levels are pretty huge and allow for forward planning and a huge range of approaches. But of course, if you have a problem with being creative, then your loss really.

26. Soobe says:

Concerned: 0 Enthusiastic: 0

Streamlining:
    I loved the 4 Crysis suit modes and their effect on game play. This is personal taste, but to me the proper way to move forward is to add more suit modes and combinations, not less. Streamlining in this regard means less choice and probably less difficulty.
    Concerned + 1

Less Cover:
    Yes Delta could be tough in Crysis, but you could always duck back into the bushes when things got too hot. What’s more, it’s far easier to model a few basic shacks and small huts than the inside of giant buildings. I fear they may go the Just Cause 2 route and have almost places to duck inside when you need to. Even though Crysis didn’t have the largest indoor areas, they were always completely open (and destructible) which did wonders for the “I’m effecting and am part of my environment’ tip.
    Concerned + 1

Indoor Levels:
    That said, in my estimation no one does strictly indoor levels better than Crytek. Building basements and subways could be absolutely magic.
    Enthusiastic +1

Cervat’s Hairdo:
    Enthusiastic +1

Upgrading your nanosuit:
    Enthusiastic + 1

Aliens:
    I was ok with the aliens/mutants in Crysis and Far Cry, but always enjoyed the human combatants more. I wonder just how this will play out. It would be cool if a faction of the military somehow broke off to, I don’t know, warship the aliens and their technology or something.
    Concerned + 1

Bringing In a Writer
    Call me crazy, but story really has no place in a shooter. Context on a per-mission basis yes, story, not really. Yeah, that goes for Half Life 2 as well. That said, this is Crytek, perhaps they will surprise me. In fact, at 11:54 in the Giant Bomb interview the writer guy says “All the good shit that goes into a novel ought to be transferable into a decent game, but with the add-in that you can do things with a game that you can’t do with a movie or novel”. We’ll see I guess.
    Enthusiastic + 1

Totals:
    Meh, who cares.

• Bhazor says:

“Meh who cares”
      Says a guy whose spent around a quarter of an hour typing out a detailed break down of what they care about.

Well done you.

• 12kill4 says:

“…in my estimation no one does strictly indoor levels better than Crytek.”

Uhhh… based on what? The ridiculous zero-g acid trip from Crysis? The fascinatingly mundane interior of an aircraft carrier? Or was it the generic ruins and metal corridors from Farcry 1? Riiiiiggghhttt…. What about Bioshock’s Rapture? Half-life 2′s Nova Prospekt or any number of other examples?

“Call me crazy, but story really has no place in a shooter.”

You’re crazy. go play Deus Ex, System Shock, Bioshock, Metro 2033, the better 2/3 of the Stalker series or any number of other great titles where story is a key factor in their success.

“Context on a per-mission basis yes, story, not really.”

Creating a context to the actions of a player is a factor of story making. Your perspective of story-telling as didactic and linear is much too narrow and as a result does not reflect the potential of good story-telling with an interactive medium- regardless of genre.

27. Soobe says:

Actually, I just listened to the rest of the Giant Bomb interview with the writer and wow, he’s hitting all the right spots when it comes to video game story telling. Very impressive.

28. squirrel says:

I rather wish that Crysis 2 features more and more large boss battles, just like id Software games do. One to two large boss battles aren’t just enough. Then, of course, longer singleplayer gameplay hours. 8-10 hour-gameplay is far too short. 50 hours is okay (I mean, Crytek can claim that it is 50 hours, where is actually 20-30 hours for the shortest path.) I am not too demanding on this since Far Cry 2 offer this. Thirdly, add some frenzy moves. Not necessarily as frenzy as Unreal Championship 2, but add some variety. I am anxious to see how player can jump through floors. Fourthly, and most importantly, please rework on vehicle piloting. Car driving is too “challenging” and chopper piloting simply isn’t playable without joystick! If Crytek has to make such level, please make those levels optional in the campaign. I am forever stuck in Crysis.

Besides, I really really worry about DRM. Bad Company 2 DRM is acceptable…… so far. (Dont let me catch the Securom doing something I do not authorise). C&C4′s DRM has been one of the major reason for its poor sales.

29. Jesper says:

I wish the trailer was actual in-game footage – it is obvious that there is a lot of sloppy post-production work gone into it – the ground is “floating” in the early shots with the coke can, there are wired shadows when the main character hold the piece of paper, etc. Go look for yourself. It is interesting to see what the final build will look like.

30. Rich says:

The flyers were probably dropped out of planes, but I get your point.

• Rich says:

*Failed reply to Bhazor

It always seems to be when I post from this particular PC…

31. Larington says:

Ask yourself not how good the writer on a game project is, but whether said writer has been given enough time to do more than a first draft or not. Too often, the answer is not, which is why game stories (or narrative, take your pick) tend to suck quite so much.

I’ve seen people claim that trailer is going for 9/11 allusions and I sort of see it but I don’t agree with it either. I’m hoping it’ll be good, that they’ve spent plenty of time making the aliens a fun villian to fight unlike their last outing which was dissapointing in that regard. We’ll see…

32. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I stopped playing both Far Cry and Crysis when mutants/aliens came in play… Call me a violent man, but I like my targets being real-world’ish. I’d prefer a WW2 game with plenty of good ol’ wehrmacht or SS soldiers over zombies/aliens/mutants any day…but guess I tolerate fantasy beasts, tho

33. neofit says:

“I stopped playing both Far Cry and Crysis when mutants/aliens came in play”
    Same here. Almost. When you have a game with ranged combat, and mid-way through the “storyline” you switch to aliens/armored_dudes that jump into melee range, you failed your design in my book. Fail++ if it’s a race of very intelligent aliens with uber natural armor and melee abilities; they can design spaceships but haven’t yet figured out, as us poor earthlings did a few centuries ago, that stand-off weapons are safer and more effective.

Anyway, I’m not sure I’ll buy a dual-i7 Extreme mobo with Nvidia 470s in quad-SLI just for this game :).