Is This A Demo I See Before Me?

By Kieron Gillen on April 12th, 2010 at 10:14 am.

It has pointing AND clicking.

Oh, piss. That’s Macbeth. Anyway, the previously discussed Indie Hamlet Adventure has been released. You can download the demo here, which allows you to play the game for an hour before you have to pay to unlock it. I guess, anyway. That’s what normally happens. This is some high quality games journalism going on here. I’ll try and recover by pointing at another Hamlet game, this one a text adventure. I played a little of this a while back, and I approve of the general Bill and Ted “she’s your mum, dude!” approach to the material. Oh – trailer follows.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. James G says:

Wait, The Whispered World, the Doctor Who Stuff and this. Are you trying to steal Walker’s position as resident adventure games correspondant? Are we going to get Meer covering some strange happening in Eve soon, and Rossingol talking about some strange Indie game with punk meets BDSM undertones commenting on the nature of dysfunctional relationships?

• Wulf says:

I think he’s just keeping us updated in John’s absence, wherever John is.

And I really appreciate it, because I just don’t care to visit any other PC news site, so I rely on these chaps to keep me informed. For most other places I fear to tread, being dens of scum, villainy, and consoles.

Ah, but the Wulf doth protest too much, methinks.

2. Carra says:

The graphics remind me an awful lot of Samorost.

3. IAMJETHRO says:

I was expecting TF2 stuff.

Is this a boolet I see before me?

4. Jonas says:

How about, “Games, Games, Games.”?

Alternatively “Alas! poor Demo.”

5. Cooper says:

“The Demo’s the thing, wherein I’ll catch the conscience of the king”

6. Krimson says:

This game takes some serious liberties with the basic storyline, even past the ‘You are a time traveller’ element.

Claudius kills the King and Queen and plans to marry Ophelia, Polonius is a goblin keeping Ophelia captive, Ophelia is just a damsel in distress, and Hamlet is your stock blond hero character without a care in the world. Well, he is before you crush him with your spaceship.

In that respect, I don’t know what to think of it. Fun game though.

7. 12kill4 says:

To be or not to be– that is the question:
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer the grind
    in order to unlock the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
    And, by correctly executing a series of quick-time events, end them….
    (and so on…)

8. mcwizardry says:

Does anyone know how to solve the sun-dial puzzle on the cage? The timer ran out before I could figure out how it works.

• Richard says:

The sundial puzzle: Each of the letters corresponds to a facial expression, like an emoticon. You select the letter that matches the current expression on the sun. If you get it right, it adds a new golden prong, if you get it wrong, you start again.

• mcwizardry says:

Thanks a lot!

9. Ginger Yellow says:

Neither a camper nor a bunny-hopper be.

10. TeeJay says:

“Do you think I am easier to be played on than a Wii?”

11. Wulf says:

Ha! Yay! I’m currently playing The Whispered World (the demo totally sold me on it) and I welcome more adventure games. Thank ye, Mr. Gillen, I shall download this post-haste.

12. Cooper says:

“There is nothing either good or bad, until you’ve played the demo”

“a demo of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy”

“This is I,
    Hamlet, the Demo”

13. Dave says:

Please! It’s “The Scottish Game.”

14. drygear says:

When you mentioned a Hamlet text adventure I thought it would be this one: http://wurb.com/if/game/2408

• Rikard Peterson says:

Me too, and even more so considering that this Hamlet used to be called Gamlet. (I wonder if the reason they changed the name was that they discovered this game made by an internet troll.)

15. tapanister says:

Looks a bit like Day of the Tentacle in those outdoor scenes. I like.