Death Wheel: Battle of the Immortals

By Alec Meer on April 13th, 2010 at 10:11 pm.

Currently a clear winner for Game RPS Gets Sent The Most Press Releases About is Battle of the Immortals, an MMORPG take on Diablo. Somehow, we’ve never posted about it, despite having received 20 emails from the publisher since the 26th of January. Well, let’s correct that – partly because BotI has just entered closed beta testing, but mostly because of what happens at 25 seconds in. DEATH WHEEL. Seriously, that’s all the PR you need. Just show the Death Wheel.

So, yeah, it looks a bit like World of Warcraft, and bit like Lineage. Hopefully it’s off down its own interesting path, though. Torchlight proves there’s plenty of life left in Diablo’s formula, after all.

BotI is referred to as being 2.5D, and here’s what it’s about: “Taking up the mantle of relic hunters, players can expect to travel throughout the world from the ancient tombs of past emperors in the East to the mythical Mount Olympus in the West. They will also be able to explore the Great Pyramids, uncover the mystery behind the Lost City of Atlantis and delve into lost temples deep within the Mayan jungle. Players will engage in epic battles against other players for the right to battle monsters, control cities & rule supreme.”

Also, it’ll be supported by the purchasaeable in-game currency Zen, though the option for that isn’t open yet. Ah, micropayments. Or “payments”, as I like to call them.

It’s called a Closed Beta, but sounds as if most entrants will find their way in – head over here to apply.

You may also want to read the list of New Player Rewards, which is a remarkable tract of promise/desperation/insanity/I just don’t know. “If you stay on for ten more minutes, you get a free pet!” What do you mean “if”? What are you going to do to me during those ten minutes?

1. FluffyM says:

Stopped watching at “Perfect World Entertainment”.

2. Dara says:

Pretty neat game, gonna have to check it out sometime.

Obligitory FIRST!

3. Spoon says:

Diablo clone, eh? You have piqued my interest. Ultimately the fun factor on these types of games hinges on how greedy the devs are. If I see item shops full of short-duration buff items that your character is horribly weak without, I’m running.

• Spoon says:

So I tried it, and not only do they have 90 million systems in place to take your money, but they actually have a currency called SALARY, that you earn for playing longer than two hours at a time.

Uh…. no.

• Adam Bloom says:

It’s like they turned WoW’s rest XP system upside. “Play this until you die for ideal rewards!”

4. Mil says:

“A WORLD LEFT IN RUIN…

THE ONLY THING TO DESTROY…

… IS EACH OTHER”.

Seriously, who comes up with these things? (And it would have been totally better if the third line was “… IS DESTRUCTION ITSELF”).

• Manley Pointer says:

When I find a ruined world, I ask myself “What’s left for me to ruin? How do I make this destruction more total?”

5. somnolentsurfer says:

Looks very isometric-WoW.

6. JimmyJames says:

The Battle of the Immortals website and logo looks so much like that of WoW. It’s sort of a McDonald’s/McDowell’s thing I guess.

It looks sort of cool, but microtransaction games always seem to suck. I’ll just have to wait for Diablo 3 I guess.

7. Daniel Klein says:

When will PR people learn about show don’t tell. “Revolutionizes MMORPG blablabla”. HOW? WHAT does it do that is different? Cause it’s not the setting, and it’s not the graphics. Maybe there is something. I’m not going to take their word for it.

8. Rhooke says:

As someone with a recently-reformed WoW habit, I definitely spotted some borrowed WoW assets in there. Those gryphons and raptor mounts sure do seem to move in a very… familiar manner.

That can’t possibly be legal.

9. We Fly Spitfires says:

Looks pretty awesome. I was holding out of the Torchlight MMO but if this is a proper MMORPG (and not just a multiplayer one) then I’ll check it out.

What do they mean by 2.5D anyway?

• Gentacle says:

2.5D has always been a 2d plane with 3d art assets such as polygons. Street Fighter 4 is the most striking recent example.

• The Dark One says:

It can also refer to the inverse of that- games which act like you’re running around in a fully 3D environment but can only use a hodgepodge of 2D effects when rendering things. Like the Build engine, where you can look ‘up’, except not really.

10. Wulf says:

Whenever I see something like this I just can’t help but wish that I could play as the Dragon (or other big creature of destruction) instead, Asian MMO developers seem to be able to crank out a free-to-play MMO every week, they should do one that caters to that!

I only ate one cow and now I’m being Hero-rushed? WTF?! What about drcdrgn776 three caves over? Or hadn’t you noticed that he’s torching towns and enthralling maidens left and right?
    You aren’t drcdrgn776?
    I’d think not.
    Oh, dreadfully sorry! A case of mistaken identity, please do understand! We were careless and took a left at the forlorn tree of unspoken sooths instead of a right! Come on, men, let’s leave this beast be!
    Hmf, well I never!

• Mr_Day says:

That is a fantastic idea, I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

If anyone does make that game, please let me register first – I am sure I am not the only person who would to name themselves Smirkenorff.

• Wulf says:

I have to admit, I have a few draconic names I’d be tempted to call dibs on too.

As for the game itself, I imagine it would rather be the Boss Rush of MMORPGs, where instead of playing a little guy and levelling up, you’re playing one of the big critters within the game, and what you do effects the world and how people see you. There will be quests for things to do in the world that build up a Dragon’s reputation as being a particular sort of creature (everything from party animal to bungling overlord), and there would be different sorts of people coming after you based on your reputation.

As always though, there’s always going to be the foolish adventurer (AI controlled) who tried to kill you, seeing you as a free level-up, so there’ll be people attacking you no matter what your reputation. And I imagine reputation will work somewhat akin to levels, as people give you more, you build up your horde and become more renowned for whatever it is you’re doing. I imagine the end game would be to build up and manage an empire, where you’re the defender, benign counsel, evil overlord (worshipped by all), or whatever else.

It’s horribly ambitious, but it would be incredibly fun if someone could do it right.

• the wiseass says:

Ok, where can I buy your game? ;)

• Wulf says:

Also, for authenticity’s sake, the AI controlled characters should constantly break the forth wall and be fully aware that the game is a game. With carpenters randomly making comments like “I’m just grinding cabinets at the moment, the occasional other bit of furniture… but one day I’ll make my own boat, you’ll see! One day…”

• Mr_Day says:

I think it would be funnier if the fourth wall was mentioned, but misunderstood – not only should the npc hero know it is a game, he should believe you are the npc and he is player controlled.

I’d laugh like a loon as he questions the skill of the Player that is controlling him as he fails yet again.

• El Stevo says:

I’d be ‘Bryagh’, ‘Smrgol’ or ‘Gorbash’.

11. Oneironaut says:

I like a good free MMO, so I signed up for the beta. It’s a great deal as long as you don’t buy the crap they try to sell you.

12. Not Important says:

Another generic fantasy mmmooorrpg. these are spreading like a plague . Nothing new and interesting here.

13. BeamSplashX says:

I’m still waiting for a successor to Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst for PC. Too many action MMORPGs (or just MORPGs) rely on mouse-driven combat and I never get the same enjoyment out of it compared to keyboard/gamepad control. That, and my laptop is barely above a netbook for gaming so I can’t even bother with the majority of them. If there’s any aspect of WoW I want copied in other games, it would be its scalability. Phantasy Star Online isn’t a graphic powerhouse but it is aesthetically interesting, and far too many free-to-play games just look plain.

I sometimes wonder why Perfect World International bothers with new games when they could easily just make different offshoots of Perfect World with the same character creator. Heck, they could even implement transferring that character across games so you could use him/her as a hero unit in an MMORTS and your character in an action RPG, for example.

14. Edgar the Peaceful says:

The World of Warcraft look is SO tired. It really shows a lack of courage on behalf of the developer. Even the font & colours on the title plate scream warcraft. Cowardice!

The Wheel of Not Inconsiderable Discomfort appears to be the only redeeming feature

15. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

I think ill either wait for Diablo 3 or Torchlight, unless this turns out to be worth filling in the gap with my money and time.

16. Mac says:

What’s the cost model? Micro transactions?

sonofsanta says:

The acronym sounds like “botty” when you say it out loud. I could never take a game named after a baby’s arse seriously.

18. Jim Rossignol says:

DEATH WORM WHEEL!

19. John Peat says:

Minor caution – I signed-up and was sent the download link, but the file (1Gb of it) seems to cause Microsoft Security Essentials some ‘issues’.

Basically it’s gone nuts – MSE is using 400Mb of memory and won’t let me move or delete the file.

If I end-task it, it restarts and repeats the issue – if I restart the system, same deal.

No idea if it’s just MSE having a hard time or if there’s something in there which you’d rather not have on your system. I’m trying to copy the file over to another PC (which has AVAST on it) to get a 2nd opinion.

• John Peat says:

Update: Avast finds no problem with the file but it does take a scorching 10 mins to come to that conclusion.

I’m guessing they’re using some super-high compression or ZIPs within ZIPs in the installer – be prepared for some hassle here…

20. Kbisso says:

i just downloaded the game it is pretty cool… it seems weird cause i’m used to wow and the ability to look ahead of me, but i can’t with this so it is just something i need to get used to…. it is pretty cool though :)

21. sk8trdude says:

Well here it goes: I have played this game and at first was very excited about it. However it dwindles down super fast. First your given quest, with no clue on what to do or how to use the keys and what they stand for. So if you see a button and your not familiar with it, dont touch it. It could lock your pet down for several days, which you can not use, or even worse disable some kind of gear that was to be upgraded in the future.

The customer service HORRIBLE. When I say HORRIBLE, I mean that is like going to a flea market, purchasing something you thought you needed, then realizing, it wasnt. NOW, try and haggle to get your money back, LOL

The questing is exciting during the beginning. This is where they get you. As you progress, GRIND GRIND GRIND. The ITEM MALL, is horrendous, and they sock it to you no matter what. It would take more than 100 US dollars to upgrade your mount, and this is no lie. If you happen to get a server glitch and it apparently reverts the mount to the previous stage, the money that you have spent (US Dollars) goes down the drain. You get NO help what so ever. When you speak with customer service you get someone that sounds like they are in a room partying. It makes you wonder. I am currently seeking another game. I could go on and on, however try it for yourself. I am blogging everywhere that I can about this game and warn everyone that I can to stay away. This game is a money sink cess pool. DONT PLAY IT.. When they say Free to Play, it means just the basics, nothing more, nothing gained. I promise you.