World Of Tanks Cheers Me Right Up

By Jim Rossignol on April 13th, 2010 at 11:11 am.

Via the venerable BluesNews I spy that Wargaming.net have put out a new game-footage trailer for World Of Tanks. It’s an MMO full of tanks. Will the tanks be able to wear different hats? We just don’t know. What the trailer does confirm is a complex damage model and lots of trundling about blasting the crap out of each other. Go take a look, and then sit back in your chair and wistfully think about your hopes for the future.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Flaringo says:

YEAHH TANKS! I LOVE TANKS!

2. robrob says:

Like placid cottages.

3. user@example.com says:

battleship was here
    tanks are puny

4. Ian says:

Niiice.

Tanks for the video, Jim.

5. Rich says:

Screw hats, I want speakers on the outside of my turret.

6. Tei says:

So this is about a 99% a MMORPG about driving Mech’s, but withouth mechs?.
    Looks ok, lets hope it play nothing like a wow-clone.

7. Alexander Norris says:

This had better have an option for my tank crew to speak the right language if I’m fighting for the Germans or the Soviets or the French, otherwise I shan’t be interested.

I am peculiar about these sorts of things.

8. Heliocentric says:

Tanks are not exciting in a world without alternatives, just like mechs. When everyone is special, no-one is, when everyone is an heavily armoured killing machine no-one is.

This game might as well be world of mopeds.

9. blargy says:

No sign of American or British tanks. Guessing those are in a DLC or Expansion?
    Also needs more tanks with flamethrowers and rocket launchers mounted on top.
    Also more arty!

10. TC says:

Hmmm…the gronard in me is put off by the King Tiger being pimped up with a outrageously large cannon and the apparant moving AND shooting abilities of the WW2 tanks.

Another side of me thinks its pretty cool though and there always Red Orchestra for my more realistic tense tank battles.

• Fumarole says:

Sadly many fewer people would play it were it more realistic. Firing on the move in WW2 era armor turns me off too. Well, only if they hit anything I suppose.

Also, I’d like to play as an antitank gun, ambushing enemy armor.

11. robrob says:

Let’s hope this isn’t too expensive because people might not be willing to shell out much cash for it. If it’s the right price they’ll make tracks to buy it though. They have to strike a fine balance between depth and panzering to the masses. However if they become the MMO victurret will make them a lot of money.

oh god what have i done

12. Larington says:

Was I the only one who couldn’t stop myself from a laugh when one of the voices said “penetration!”?

13. GCU Speak Softly says:

I’m torn between the fun lovin’ driving fast shooty bits and the inner wargamer shouting about hull down and why Tigers do not drive in small circles around an enemy at literally point blank range.

Do you get to skin your panzers? I see a big market in SS livery, unless that’s going to be the ‘clan system’.

14. Ush says:

Is too much for me to hope that they’ll include some of the more insane tanks that never made it to the production phase before the end of the war? Who wouldn’t want to pilot a one-thousand tonne Landcruiser armed with modified naval guns?

15. Pew says:

A Mechwarrior MMO with threads instead of legs? I could enjoy this quite a lot if one could put Clan Jade Falcon decals on their tank.

16. Aganazer says:

I hope they tank their time and do it right.

17. Noumenon says:

You know what would be the awesomest? If group raids are like 40 people in tanks doing the battle of Stalingrad or something, and you have to encircle like at Kursk or go house to house.

18. disperse says:

It’s refreshing to view a game trailer consisting of nothing but actual gameplay.

That said, the battlefields look a little strange with nothing but tanks. What about NPC infantry for our tanks to roll over?

19. DavidK says:

Looks marvelous and stupid. Also, don’t forget to enter the World of Tanks poetry comp: http://www.worldoftanks.com/news/tank_poetry_contest

20. utharda says:

Can I play a support healer?

21. Fumarole says:

Do we have to grind kubelwagens?

22. Vanger says:

Wait, you called British and American WW2 armored carriages tanks?

Blasphemer.

23. Subjective Effect says:

This is like every Company of Hero players dream!

24. Agiel7 says:

Call shotgun on the PzKmpfw VI!

Noticed that there’s a focus on the Eastern Front. Makes sense I guess since Panther and a Sherman and a Tiger and a Churchill is nowhere near a fair fight.

25. Neuro says:

Soooo it’s Auto Assault, but sower.

26. dan international airport says:

YESSSSS TANKS

man “world of tanks” is the best title ever! so clearly not misleading in any way! perfect.

27. ThePieSpy says:

Tickles my interest. However self-propelled artillery? I guess it wouldn’t be a multiplayer game if it didn’t have something that allowed half the players to sit back and be useless to their team. World in Conflict artillery whores anyone?

28. ass_kicker says:

Count me in! Felt a bit wary about this game after the first 2 trailers, but this gameplay movie shows me what I expected. Hope there’d be British tanks in it!

29. Wassap says:

And Japanese tanks would be nice too!
    This game is out of control! awesome!

30. Madjack says:

Trouble with insta-hit tank games is that if the opposition only needs to put the crosshairs on you and press the LMB, there’s not a lot you can do to avoid that – particularly if the landscape is relatively barren.
    I suspect real life tank battles are usually won by who sees the enemy first.

That’s why I introduced arcing shells in Tank Universal that you could see coming and had a chance to avoid. Totally unrealistic but much more fun.

31. EL GRINGO says:

I like this trailer!
    I already play on other similar MMO game “Panzer Elite Action”.
    I am realy waiting for this new game. It sounds to be a good game to play with friends of my clan.

I have only one negative opinion. The music of the Trailer is not in relation with WW2 at all!!

If this game has to be realy realistic with WW2, then use a old realistic music of this WW2 and not a music of “modern war” !!! No electronic music!!
    example :

Please , no modern music on World of Tanks !!!!!

Comment on this story