By Lewis Denby on April 14th, 2010 at 5:29 pm.
There are only two pieces of Half-Life 2 mod news in this week’s round-up. This must be some kind of low-end record. To compensate, I’ve gone and linked to stuff relating to a few more. The balance must be maintained at all costs! Read on for updates, videos and exciting CryEngine 3 news…
– Project Reality, in its ultimate megaquest to be the most expansive mod never to be actually finished, has a new version out. Having been first released in 2006, it’s now at version 0.91. It’s still brilliant.
- Half-Life 2 mod Demons Vs Humans, which appears to be exactly the same as Aliens Vs Predator, has a couple of early gameplay test videos available. It’s looking a bit shaky at the moment, if I’m honest, but these are very much work-in-progress.
- More HL2, a new single-player mini-mod called Red Avenue is out. I’ve not had the chance to play this yet. It’s getting mixed feedback. Grab it, and the hasty patch, here.
- Develop Magazine reveals that there’ll be a free-to-use version of the new CryEngine. Which strictly speaking isn’t mod news, but is probably very interesting to the same types of people.
- Promising Half-Life 1 mod Cry of Fear will have exclusive content for people who donate some money to the project. An interesting idea. More details here.
- Remember very strange “utopian poetry” mod Arcadia: Rise and Fall for Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne? The guys behind that are back, making something called Chernobyl: Lost Riddles. Less artsy this time, Chernobyl’s dubbed a “dystopian action-adventure”. So very much a videogame, then. Here are some screenshots. Given how colourful Arcadia was, its desaturated gloom immediately feels impressively stifling.
- Call of Pripyat: Redux version 0.8 is released. It “aims to redefine your S.T.A.L.K.E.R experience both graphically and gameplay-wise,” as literally all the other Stalker mods do.
- Yang does more Liner Notes on Radiator: Polaris. Still awaiting my super-early-mega-copy of Radiator Part 3.
- GamesRadar inflates my ego by listing my mod, Nestlings, in its Top Ten Games That Break The Rules feature. Also included are Radiator and Dear Esther. Much higher up the list, natch.