Trademarked Man: Syndicate’s Baaaaaaaack

By Kieron Gillen on April 14th, 2010 at 1:03 pm.

A first person shooter with a flame-thrower. That's the kind of innovation I look forward to.

Well, not an official confirmation, but Superannuation has noted that trademarks on Syndicate have been filed by Electronic Arts and Starbreeze. It’s been rumoured forever, of course, but now seems to be solidifying into something distinctly more trenchcoat shaped. What will it be like? Well, with their previous history with Riddick and The Darkness you have to assume it’s going to end up being something a little closer to the ground than the distant isometric game of yore. Thanks to Phill for the head’s up.

, , .

1. Starky says:

See now Syndicate is a MUCH better game to make into a squad based tactical first person shooter than X-Com is…

As all that really would need is a change in perspective and it could retain all the original elements pretty faithfully.

2. JuJuCam says:

As long as it includes that mind control device so I can lead a legion of civilians into gauss gun fire, I’ll be happily entertained.

• Supertonic says:

In Thailand we call that device Thaksin Shinawatra (oooooh political!)

• Paul B says:

Agree that the Persuadertron (hope I got that correct) was awesome. I always liked to brainwash all the citizens on the map, then the Police Officers, then I’d go after the Enemy Agents. I always liked how the converted agents would end up being made available to you, and would come all sorts of exotic enhancements, that you could never research yourself.

3. EthZee says:

…A tense, exciting first-person shooter with squad-based elements?

Frankly, I think they’re being fairly unimaginative. I haven’t played The Longest Journey or Dreamfall, but I imagine I would have given them a go if they had been shooters. I hope they take this route when they make the new one. Or Beyond Good & Evil! I never tried that. I’d try THAT as an FPS (with RPG elements?).

• Clovis says:

BG&E features a camera that you use in first person. So, um, you should try it.

• Scalene says:

Yes, you should try BG&E. It’s very good.

• EthZee says:

…Eh.

• DrGonzo says:

No one else sensed sarcasm then?

• Pantsman says:

Dave Tosser is reborn, it seems!

• Wulf says:

@DrGonzo

I’m not entirely convinced it was sarcasm. >.> If there’s anything the Internet has taught me, it’s that for every kind of person you could fabricate, no matter how ludicrous, there’s someone out there who’s actually really like that.

Regardless, Beyond Good & Evil was one of the best games I’d ever played. Such fond memories.

4. Clovis says:

Uh, let’s see …. X-COM, Syndicate, Sam & Max … is it April Fool’s Day again?

• Feste says:

Next will be an annnouncement about a new X-Wing/Tie-fighter game relaunching the space sim.

PeopleLikeFrank says:

… as a tactical squad-based first person shooter!

• Baboonanza says:

X-Wing is Baaaaaaaaack!

Lucas arts have announced they are developing a sequel to the X-Wing and Tie fighter games:

‘Enjoy X-Wing combat as you never have before! Join with your friends to attack the Evil Empire, do battle with massive capital ships with hundreds of other pilots!

‘X-Wing: Fleet Wars’ will be released later this year on the Facebook platform’

• diebroken says:

isn’t there a rumor that LucasArts is doing a Special Edition remake of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter? (Well, there is now – BAM!)

• Mr. ThreEye says:

Ooooh, yes, please make flight-sims popular again dear gaming industry. (I’m looking at you, journo’s of RPS. Now do my bidding.)

• Nick says:

Well, they already remade them once in the X-wing vs TIE Fighter engine…

• blah says:

No, X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter is a different game made for a different reason, which is why Balance of Power was released adding in the game’s campaign.

• Adam Whitehead says:

@ blah: I think they were referring to the re-releases of X-WING and TIE FIGHTER in 1998-99 which had been updated with full Windows compatability and with the X-WING VS TIE FIGHTER engine replaying the original graphics. They were released together as the X-WING COLLECTOR’S SET (sitting on my shelf right now). They were pretty well-done.

5. rei says:

I’ll tell you what it’ll be like! Excerpt from the script (not available online anymore as far as I can tell):

Dart™ is an artificial intelligence built to be endlessly
    curious about her host human and to learn to love them over
    time. Out of the box, she doesn’t really get this whole
    “feelings” dynamic that human brains run on, but she can do
    a good imitation of it on demand. She vacillates between
    cold calculation and catty commentary.

Doesn’t much sound like the Syndicate I played.
    EDIT: CVG has a bit longer quote here.
    EDIT#2: Apparently editing through forums removes line breaks.

6. Larington says:

(Insert proclamations of doom and cats & dogs living together here) Actually, this is one aged game that I never got into, bad system performance when I tried to play it see. X-COM however enters ‘my precious’ territory.

7. blunders says:

The distant isometric game of lore or yore?

I’m glad to see that this may not be the Starbreeze project that got the can. Does this mean that their Bourne game is dead? Strange world.

8. diebroken says:

Co-op Deus Ex – yehaw!

c-Row says:

Mark my words from the X-COM thread – it’s gonna be a racing game!

10. terry says:

I hope they go for overhead/iso 3d view for blimp-related shenanigans on a command level and FPS for squad/individual level. I like me my iso views :P

Of course, that’s assuming the mix of elements is the same, which I’d be frankly staggered at.

I am not going to comment on the possibility of this sucking, because it’s more Syndicate and I’ve been pining for more since realising that I was never in a fucking million years going to finish American Revolt.

11. Acosta says:

I hope it´s a FPS with badass weapons a lots of attitude. I want my character to say “Cyberpunked!” each time I headshot someone.

• Link says:

Don’t forget a cover system and regenerating health. Maybe throw-in a QTE or two.

AndrewC says:

Humourless, laconic, trench-coated, neo-noir heroes are soooooo 80′s, man. The best person you, as an evil corporate big-wig, could hire to subvert today’s technological environment is an internet troll, probably from /b/. Fill his mountain dew full of steroids, give him a flamethrower and away you go.

• Mr_Day says:

Syndicate Wars already had regenerating health, you got a shield powered by an energy supply. That same supply also fueled your unlimited ammunition.

I actually miss Syndicate Wars.

• blah says:

pffft – everyone (read:console players) know that Halo ‘invented’ regenerating health/energy! ;)

• Bret says:

And thus, regenerating health is the worst thing ever.

Because Halo is evil, of course.

12. Schmung says:

So long as I can blow up buildings with nuclear grenades like in the second one I’ll be happy.

13. the wiseass says:

So they’ll be turning this into an FPS too?

• subedii says:

Don’t be silly.

The real money’s in Wii fitness games.

*Waggle wiimote to run. Make swirly motion to bring out flamethrower.*

14. Sp4rkR4t says:

If they turn it into a squad based shooter, I will blow up their offices.

• Mr_Day says:

Syndicate IS a squad based shooter. There is a squad, you shoot things. Did you mean a squad based fps? The alternative is a solo character fps, which is about as far from source as you can get without making it into a point and click adventure*.

There is also a Persuadatron. Mmmm, Persuadatron.

* Actually. That would be awesome. Someone, get me Telltale.

15. Baboonanza says:

OMFG! I’ve just realised what we need:

A Syndicate conversion for ‘Men Of War’. The engine has everything you could possibly want for a next-gen Syndicate.

16. Snall says:

We all know it’s gonna be a shooter…just like poor Shadowrun (RIP).

17. Optimaximal says:

Its worth noting that this isn’t really news.

These trademarks were filed back when we last declared Syndicate was ‘coming back’.

Until there’s a leak or official confirmation, I wouldn’t believe anything other than this being a simple trademark squatting exercise.

• D says:

Go to http://cocatalog.loc.gov/
      Type in Starbreeze – select “Name”, hit enter
      4 of 4 results are Syndicate. Maybe I don’t understand this squatting concept, but wouldn’t it also be kind of a good idea to actually trademark something related to what you’re actually working on? Or would that be too much of a clue. But what you’re saying is that they’re not working on Syndicate, because they trademarked Syndicate? But why would you want people to see you trademark Syndicate if you don’t have any plans with it? Won’t that backfire when you PR your new racing game? On second thought, maybe you should just explain this squatting idea to me.

18. Thiefsie says:

sarcasm fail…

19. jsutcliffe says:

If you can’t torch civilians, this game is dead to me.

20. Langman says:

One of my favourite Amiga games back in the day.

*sigh*

Memories…..

21. amoe says:

one thing that worries me a bit is that the core team of starbreeze left to start a new studio (http://machinegames.com). i’m not sure what’s left of starbreeze without those guys.

22. Jimbo says:

So Gears of War but with trenchcoats.

23. Wulf says:

Well, it’s Starbreeze, and they’re a particularly good pedigree. Plus, European and not American, so there’s a very reasonable chance they’d be willing to make an isometric game, instead of just turning it into some kind of corridor shooter. So I remain hopeful, Europe does tend to be the saviour of more obscure gaming genres.

24. EBass says:

Except I’ve got the re-re-released versions of X-Wing and TIE fighter and they still have the old engines, X-Wing doesen’t have a 3d target display for example.

Also, muted HORRAH for this. Except I can’t see them making it a top down view so it’ll be TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I just can’t see a squad based FPS being the same sort of game at all. Though admitadly even to attempt it would be good. Can’t remember an FPS with hordes of civilians around off hand.

25. tapanister says:

Man I called this ages ago on kotaku. When the issue was first breached that Starbreeze would either drop Bourne or SW, and knowing EA had secured the serviced of Richard Morgan I was damn sure this would happen. This is going to be AAAAAWEEESOME.

AAAAAWEEESOME.

26. woot says:

Nick is right, both X-Wing and TIE Fighter were re-released after X-Wing Vs. TiE Fighter using the improved engine. I guess you only had the floppy versions! :P