Sleep Is Death Creator Holding Compo

By John Walker on April 15th, 2010 at 1:44 am.

Sleep is in fact just sleep. I proved this by waking up this morning.

If you’ve been playing with Sleep Is Death (and so far, I haven’t, but it’s because I’m so busy! And have no friends…) you might well have found yourself telling a fantastic story. If it’s super-fantastic, you could be within a chance of winning $200 from developer Jason Rohrer. He’s looking for the finest narratives told with the game to be submitted to him before midnight tomorrow New York Time, and his five favourites get cash. Which seems a good incentive. Although he’s only one man, so has stated that only the first 100 entries stand a chance of being read. There’s a bunch of rules and conditions to read on the compo’s page, so be sure to check them carefully before sending off your finest adventure.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. steggieav says:

Wow, this makes me regret not preordering the game. It looks freaking awesome.

2. Wulf says:

I’m still working on assets and storyline for that werewolf story I wish to tell, so I won’t make it in time for this because I’m really taking my time in order to do something really special. But there are people who’ll want to tell spontaneous amazing stories, and I really look forward to reading them all!!

AS says:

@Wulf: I know what you mean – I have a big complex story planned out, and not enough time to generate all the resources to make it shine in less than a day.

3. Jon says:

News about “Sleep Is Death”.
    Posted at 1:44 am.
    Any connection?

4. Spinoza says:

I have no friends also.. hmm. Any ideas ?

Tagert says:

@Spinoza

I will be your friend for the low price of £2 + VAT a month.
      This offer also goes for John, though I’ll cover the VAT since he’s special.

• NeutralGrey says:

Check out http://www.sidtube.com

It has a pretty good and active community already, and a system for connecting to other people for games.

5. The_B says:

Has anybody made a Rock, Paper, Shotgun SID game yet, and if not, WHY NOT?

Hodge says:

If anyone’s still wondering if it’s worth dropping $14 for, the tutorial videos do a great job of illustrating how it all works.

The game is most definitely awesome – scarifyingly awesome, in fact. The sheer panic, trying to come up with a coherent plot development while the clock ticks down…. it’s much harder than it seems. I’ve only hosted one story so far, and it went so badly that I’m holding off on doing any more until I’ve lifted my game.

I haven’t checked out anyone’s flipbooks yet, but I’m guessing the best ones so far are ones where both players go nuts and do stream-of-consciousness improvised stuff. It would be really hard to tell a proper, fleshed out story without railroading people through it (and there’s already complaints on the sidtube forums about just that).

Rohrer’s definitely created something unique, and the more I play with it the more I think that it’s going to have a much wider influence than people might expect.

Hodge says:

Oh yeah and an RPS story would be great. I don’t think there’s restrictions on swearing so even Kieron could be in it!

Harlander says:

I’ve been working on an isometric, Syndicate-inspired, tileset and plot to go with it that might do nicely for this.

And it’s all thanks to the recent RPS post about Syndicate trademarks being taken out again.

Thanks, RPS.

Tharps.

• JB says:

I saw the flipbook for the game with Jig as the player yesterday. It is indeed a very syndicate inspired tileset, good work =)

• Scilantius says:

My god yes! I’ve also seen the syndicate inspired flip-book, and it reeks of awesome! I especially liked the comm unit idea.

Too bad the player wasn’t aware of the setting,… Anyway, I’d love to see more of it, and maybe even play it one day.

9. Tei says:

You don’t need friends to play the game. SIDTUBE.com have a strong and fun community of people, and more important: a matchmarking system that will give you players (if you want to control), or controlers ..if you are a lucky bastard faster than everybody else and manage to pick it before :-)
    Theres some shortage of controllers.

Not having enough time is not a problem, if you are creative minded. If you can draw a “angel” or “illegal space beer”, or any other prop. sidtube has a repositores for resources (the game include a system to export/import) so you can draw a few props, and upload there. Theres even some music packages :-)

The game could be hilarious. I have ben laughing for 8 days with it. To me is not just enteirnament, is pure awesome comedy.

With these 14$, you will secure a delicious pixel art tool, and the engine to play the game with others.

If you are bankrupt.. you could just read the histories, there are very interesting ones. I can’t even imagine now what the best one will be in a few months.

• JB says:

Also, Tei is now famous. Jason used one of Tei’s resource packs in the final tutorial video, but Tei is too modest to mention it. ;-)

Lambchops says:

Yeah, I noticed the lack of controllers. I decided to have a quick try of it last night but was unable to find a game as a player so I still haven’t actually played the thing yet :-(

Unfortunately neither me or my friend has time at the moment to commit to making stories (though I did have a quick faff about in the editor for an hour and found it rather self explanatory to use and thanks to the retro graphics I could make something looking passably decent despite my complete lack of artistic talent!).

Still I do want to try the thing so perhaps I shall just man up and start a game as a controller and improv like crazy!

10. PB says:

I pre-ordered this game last night and it looks awesome. The only problem I can see with it is that the player can move wherever he wants in one turn. There’s no concept of moving past/around another character, and no way to ambush someone as they walk down a path.

How would it change the game if the player could only move four tiles per turn?

Harlander says:

Quite a lot, probably. I think a workaround is to view the spatial relationship between things in the grid as impressionistic, abstract, rather than being like a chessboard or the terrain of a wargame where distance and positioning is concrete.

Or something.

• JB says:

In theory (if you’re a superfast, badass mofo of a controller) you could edit the room every turn to artificially impose the four tile limit. There is an invisible wall you can paint on the areas where you don’t want the player going (under the floor, into the sky etc). But you’d probably have to be pretty slick and/or experienced.

And you’re right about it looking awesome. That’s mainly because it IS awesome.

• Bobsy says:

I had this problem. My solution was to impose a choke point at the transition from one room to another, a door that they have to spend a turn to try and open before proceeding. A guard is watching the door and challenges them when they try. The player is then tasked with finding a way to open the door without the guard noticing.

All of which is entirely academic because I can’t yet play with other people. Bloody game is waffling about not finding any ‘open ports’. Sorry, indy game or no, this is not the sort of techno-bullshit that I, as user, ought to have to fiddle with just to have it all work. After reconjoculafing the tachyon burst emitters and aligning all sprockets to ‘C’ position, I’ve negated the positronic matrix and caused a feedback loop that’ll tear the ship apart if I’m not careful.

Sigh.

Lambchops says:

@ Bobsy

Handy guide

• Tei says:

Re: ports

I can see how this will be a huge problem. But in this case the game comes with a UPNP client, so if thats fail, you have to get angry at your router, not the game. If your router has upnp support, and it works (is not buggy) so the game can open the ports itself, and you still can’t connect, then is your fault, because is probably your firewall that is blocking any attemp to connect.

Theres no easy way to solve this problem, other than use a good router with UPNP.

Most gamers nowdays don’t seems to expect problems hosting games, but the reality is that if your server (your game computer) is behind a router, and as a ip like 192.168.something.something, you must either have a good UPNP, or fight with the horrible internface of the router to create the portforwarding yourself. Hence, lots of pain.

Using one of these pages that try to help, while serving you ads, may be usefull. I have tried to read a few of these, but is uncypherable to me. Maybe are encoded in a language for users, or something, and I know too much about the topic (??).
      Theres always IRC (chat) and a good buddy, to ask question and help you debugging it. Or the Wiki to follow other people tails.

• NeutralGrey says:

I think you guys are treating this as far too much of a game than a story maker. If you want to ambush the player, a good player will let them self get ambushed in an interesting way. Playing as the player isn’t about “winning” or getting away or anything like that.

11. Mike says:

Bit premature – many of them posted so far have been pretty terrible! But they’re getting better.

12. neems says:

I haven’t played the game at all (or even seen it in motion for that matter), but I get the impression that going in to this with a definite plot in mind would be difficult.

My take would be to have a situation – I was thinking a bank heist (enclosed area, known characters, good potential for drama [maybe]). Design your bank, and make sure you know it well. Populate it with characters, and write some sort of basic background to each of them. The level of detail would depend on your own ability / confidence at thinking on the fly.

You drop the player in to this situation, telling them that they are a bank robber, and then let the chips fall where they may. Obviously be prepared for certain eventualities, but try to let the characters and the player develop the story, rather than forcing the plot. Maybe the player doesn’t go through with it, and just walks out. Short and dull, but there you go. Maybe they reveal that they need the cash for their daughter’s life saving operation – maybe even eliciting sympathy from the characters in the bank.

I would be prepared to have the police swoop in, but maybe the player deactivates the alarm first. Or maybe it turns into Dog Day Afternoon. Or a bloodbath, with SWAT teams storming the building. Or William Fichtner turns up, says “Do you know who you’re stealing from?” and the player realises he’s actually the Joker.

It definitely seems like there is a lot of potential, but i’m not sure that it’s easy to actually tell a specific story (although not impossible I’m sure, just needs a lot of thought put into guiding the player). The best laid plans and all that.

Oh and I bet you could do a really good haunted house type affair.

JB says:

@ Bobsy – I see from the SiDTube gallery that you’ve been a Controller now. Any tips on how you sorted your port woes? I’ll keep an eye out for you on the SiDTube irc (I’m digital_pariah on there)