Sopwith Camel Light: Rise Of Flight Trial

By Kieron Gillen on April 15th, 2010 at 11:50 am.

Bad luck, old chap.

RPS’ master of the skies Flight-Commander Stone wrote about the Rise of Flight Beta last year. Once you register on the site it gives you 72 hours with it. The full download’s a hefty 3 gig or so, but it seems a hefty, serious sim. I’ve always liked WW1 as a sim period, in the “this is a lawnmower with pretensions” school of plane designs. I had crazy crush on Knights of the Sky back in the day – though the cover is somewhat hilarious. I digress. A short trailer follows…

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. user@example.com says:

WW1 has always been my favourite for fighty planes, so I will have to try this – I meant to get it before, but other games intervened. WW2 is far less interesting to me, because the planes actually have something holding them together, and when you shoot at them the bullets don’t just go through the empty space.

Modern (in the wargaming sense of anything since Vietnam) is cool, but only if I get to fly an A-10.

2. mbp says:

Major disappointment here when I realised that you weren’t talking about a long awaited follow on to David L. Clarke’s seminal* PC game “Sopwith”.

* Seminal in the sense that it was the first PC game I ever played. And it was bloody hard too.

Malcolm says:

Funnily enough I immediately thought the same. I don’t think I even managed to survive for more than a few seconds in that game…

luminosity says:

It was so disappointing when lightning fried our XT and I couldn’t play sopwith anymore. The 386 played it too fast even using turbo. Not that I cared too much, the Infocom games all still worked…

3. MD says:

Knights of the Sky had one of the great PC gaming manuals, if I’m remembering correctly. Nothing fancy, but a chunky & comprehensive thing, created with care and complete with an entertaining history lesson. Like the Civilization manual; I think I still have that one somewhere.

4. TimA says:

This is easily one of the best flight sims ever made. The flight model is amongst the best for fixed wing on the market, it’s immersive, pretty, difficult, fun. Has an excellent Quick Mission Builder too. Needs TrackIR to fully experience, as with any modern flight sim, this also has some neat touches like dew drops on your goggles as you fly through cloud (very scary without an artificial horizon) and the rush of wind noise if you move your head from behind the wind shield.

err yeah I think I’ll go play it now.

user above: Flaming Cliffs 2 is now out, fantastic sim and has an A-10. Worth getting while we wait for DCS: A-10.

• user@example.com says:

Have I mentioned that I love how much A-10 wonderfulness there is now and coming?

• TimA says:

Sir, I find myself in agreement. Merely pushing the required keyboard buttons to display the string “DCS:A-10″ on my screen causes profound giddiness in me.

5. morte says:

but wait, doesnt this have one of those always connected to the internet drm things?
    I dont know for fact as I cant find it anywhere on their website (which is a bit off putting), but I see it scattered across the net.
    Also, 4 planes ship with game, rest are dlc.

Reallt want this for coop mainly, but those two things stick in the craw.

• TimA says:

The “online only” thing was removed in the latest patch. You only need to log in online the once, I believe, and from then on you can start up and play offline all you like. I had a gripe with the format of selling planes too, until I realised how high fidelity they are, and how incredibly unique. I even bought a couple of planes (DR.1 and Camel) as I deemed them necessary. I thought they were reasonably priced and I don’t regret the purchase for one second, given how they’re so difficult to master… lots of sim time for your money.

6. westyfield says:

Man, I just remembered how much I used to love the Biggles adventures. Might have to keep an eye on this one…

7. rebb says:

It’s nice, but i didn’t keep it installed for very long back when i bought it. The multiplayer was very very crude and i’m not that big on having to buy extra planes for cash. Maybe they should launch it in asia or something.

• user@example.com says:

As I understand it, a LOT goes into each of the planes in this. It’s not like Ace Combat, where all the planes are basically the same only faster, or tougher, or turnier and with different (but not actually usable in any way) cockpits – it’s more like the custom planes made (commercially, and sold for lots of money) for Flight Simulator.

8. Mladuna says:

The irony here is that Rise of Flight working title was “WWI: Knights of the Sky” and the developers change it after they learned there was already a game with a same name (and dealing with same historical period).

9. Mr_Day says:

Ah, got that downloading now. I do enjoy WW1 flight sims, as my love affair with Flying Corps shows.

Mind you. She’s getting on a bit. Doesn’t look as good as she once did, you know?

10. Kevin Stephenson says:

I used to love playing Knights of the Sky. Me and a friend would drag a serial cable between our computers so we could fly against each other. One of the first games to have real multiplayer!! I remember always flying the tri-wing plane.

And I thought about the old Sopwith PC game as well when I saw this at first.

HermitUK says:

You are now hearing the Theme Music to Knights of the Sky in your head.

If you’re not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-cJmj-64J4 Now you are. Thank me later.

Will be registering for this I suspect. Biplane sims are too few and far between for my liking.

12. Dunc says:

omfg Knights of the Sky !!!! So many memories flooding back – surely it’s due a remake along with X-wing….. reminds me of when owning a Joystick was a critical asset for PC Gaming

13. Adam Whitehead says:

I enjoyed KNIGHTS OF THE SKY. I also liked the considerably arcadier WINGS. The career mode in that, guiding one pilot through the whole war, was pretty neat, although the overhead shoot-em-up mini-games were less fun than the 3D combat bit.

14. Devrey says:

Might be tempted to try it, since they toned down their UbiSoft-style DRM of bullshit.

15. Chunks says:

I was a huge fan of knights of the sky as well… I never really played any other wwi sims aside from a little w/ airwarrior.

I bought rise of flight a few months ago… Good game, but the flight model is brutal.

16. Vinraith says:

This looks incredible, it’s a shame about 1) my lack of an appropriate flight stick (and space to use it) and 2) the DRM.

17. Gerbick says:

Anonymous Coward said:

Knights of the Sky is still one of my favourite games, and I often dust of the Amiga to have a play. How brutal is the flight model, as this game has got me interested.

18. fizz144 says:

anyone know how i can get it in full screen? it only occupies the left of the moniter. im on windows7 64

19. Shadowcat says:

Huh. Them removing their retarded DRM didn’t seem to make news anywhere. I had just ignored this thread until now because although I’ve always loved good WW1 flight sims, the DRM made me completely uninterested in this one.

I guess there’s another lesson there… if you implement this kind of crap in the first place, there’s a decent chance that potential customers will never even notice when you get around to removing it.

The system requirements were pretty hefty as I recall, so a demo is a good thing at this point. I look forward to giving it a whirl once my gaming PC is back on its feet!