War In Kryta: Guild Wars => Guild Wars 2

By Alec Meer on April 15th, 2010 at 10:00 pm.

LORE EXCLUSIVE. I don’t think we’ve had one of those before. Lore! Pure lore! Big proper info on long-awaited MMO sequel Guild Wars 2 is bound to hit during E3, but until then here’s a scoopette on how it’s going to link up to the first game. Including a couple of Big Fat Hints about what kind of world GW2 will be. Lumped under the Guild Wars Beyond umbrella, there’s going to be a series of updates that setup the world and the narrative for whatever goes down in GW 2. In other words, a storm is coming. And, judging by these screenshots, it’s a robo-storm… Your first details on the War In Kryta are below, chums.

(Click for full-size, uncropped images, by the way)

First, key points:
a) Are they ending GW1 when 2 arrives, or do phrases like “the world of Guild Wars 2″ suggest they’ll co-exist?
b) Gwen’s back! Again! And this time she’s the architect of the future! You don’t get many Random Little Girls From The Tutorial who go on to achieve that kind of stature. Good work, Gwenno.
c) GW2 will be set 250 years on, which suggests we’ll be faced with a very different world. One in which humans are embattled. By what? Robots? Please say it’s robots.
d) LITERALLY TAKE PART IN HISTORY. LITERALLY.

Here’s the exclusivostatement about the upcoming War In Kryta event. There were a whole lot of ®s and ™s in this, but I’ve taken them out to protect innocent eyes.

This spring NCsoft and ArenaNet celebrate the fifth anniversary of Guild Wars with Guild Wars Beyond, an ongoing campaign that expands upon the Guild Wars storyline by focusing on key characters and events that are destined to make history leading up to Guild Wars 2. The first such event, the War in Kryta, sweeps players up in a savage struggle between the oppressive White Mantle zealots and the Shining Blade rebels for the fate of Kryta.

Guild Wars Beyond allows players to experience the War in Kryta from the very beginning to its fateful finale through an intriguing viral campaign, a website that enhances the storyline, and with gripping new in-game content. They’ll join the battle for Kryta by participating in exciting quests, taking part in decisive battles, and by purchasing the new White Mantle and Shining Blade costumes for their character. Guild Wars players will literally take part in history, as the War in Kryta has a profound effect on the world of Guild Wars 2.

Within the war, players help the Shining Blade rebels oppose the White Mantle, a militarized cult that rules Kryta, in the hopes of restoring the Krytan monarchy and installing Princess Salma as queen. The legacy of these deeds carries 250 years into the future, where Salma’s descendent Queen Jennah leads the embattled humans in Guild Wars 2.

In addition to Salma’s storyline, the War in Kryta also focuses on several key characters that are destined to make history – Gwen, a brooding, beautiful elementalist, and Lieutenant Keiran Thackeray, a charr-hunting ranger. Gwen and Lt. Thackeray are destined to marry and establish the human city of Ebonhawke, a key location in Guild Wars 2, and their descendent, Logan Thackeray, is one of the iconic characters in Guild Wars 2.

In the coming months, Guild Wars Beyond will continue to unveil important Guild Wars 2 information and content via the current Guild Wars live game. For more information on Guild Wars and the War in Kryta, please visit www.guildwars.com.

So there you go. What think you, Guild Wars player? Excited? Worried? Exirried?

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Mr Labbes says:

This is awesome. I’m hoping I will fall in love with GW2 as much as with its predecessor.

2. Troy says:

This Guild Wars player (going on about eight months or so) is VERY excited. I love the little updates they’ve been making to the game recently, and the metagame with the #OBEY and #DISMANTLE factions is bringing back some older players back into the fold.

Hopefully they answer the question of just how Guild Wars will be related to Guild Wars 2. They’ve hinted the that Hall of Monuments (a location where player achievements can be displayed) is going to somehow be linked to the sequel, but haven’t shared any more past that.

3. Vinraith says:

My dear, lamented Guild Wars, you took too long. I ran out of things to do years ago, and my enthusiasm (which had carried me through thousands of hours of enjoying the game) faded. Then my account got hacked a few months ago, and any interest I may have had in returning to that world disappeared with all my “valuable” equipment.

I sincerely don’t know where that leaves me on GW2. I loved GW, it’s my favorite action RPG of all time, but between the hacking and the general sense that GW2 is going to be more of an MMO, I honestly don’t know how to feel about GW2. If this transitional stuff had come along a year or two ago I’d have been all over it, but the notion of going back isn’t so appealing anymore.

4. Urthman says:

Just thinking of MMOs, you had Yeesha who went from little baby in the intro movie of Myst 3 to young girl in the intro who gets into trouble in Myst 4 to Architect of the Future in Myst Online.

5. Heliocentric says:

Shame the game was so closely linked to the grinding. Equipment and skills rather than levels mind you.

Because it wasn’t needed, with no monthly fee’s why wouldn’t they just let you go wild?

• Heliocentric says:

I should add that the use of grinding as a hook to trap players in has utterly killed my enthusiasm. Shame, the multiplayer was good, but not being able to compete without 200 hours of grinding/farming is bull.

• Vinraith says:

“Grind” is all a state of mind, I for one enjoyed earning new skills, hunting new elites, and tracking down new weapons. If I’d been able to “go wild,” which I assume means having access to all this stuff without having to work for it, I’d have been bored with the game after a few days instead of a few years.

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

Err, your addendum confuses me, what on Earth took “200 hours of grinding/farming” that wasn’t a 100% optional vanity project?

• NieA7 says:

@ Vinraith

In fairness some of the PvE skills require a fair bit of title grinding to be effective. You don’t have to use them but they tend to be more powerful, so if you’re one of the people who obsess about having the most effective build possible then grind becomes inevitable.

• Mr Labbes says:

I played competitive PvP in Guild Wars, and I can’t say I farmed much for unlocking skills and equip. Probably 10 hours, and I played the game for three years.

• Wulf says:

As a Guild Wars aficionado I would like to say that it’s possible to complete all the campaigns without doing even an hour’s grinding. I say this because I’ve done it in the past. Depending on how skilled you are at the game and its tactics, you can basically blow through all the missions without even taking side-quests. And if you opt to do the side-quests for lore info, you only have to do them once.

All grind is basically completely useless unless it’s just for some vanity thing:

Elite Skills – This is something that was added for the WoW-heads, there are non-Elite skills that work equally as well if you group and use them properly.

Guild Hall – This is purely a vanity/status thing and there’s no real functional gain to be had from it, bar perhaps some incredibly minor conveniences which have no impact on gameplay mechanics.

Grind Armour – The spiffy, shiny, oh look at me, aren’t I the prettiest girl in the park armour actually has the same stats as the high-end of the normal, everday armour. You can grind for armour but at the end it only changes visuals.

Zaishen Chest – The Party Favour Box. If you bother to grind for Zaishen keys, you don’t really get anything out of this that would affect game mechanics to make you a better player. It’s basically just trinkets and things to show off with.

Events – See Zaishen Chest.

Conclusion: You don’t need any of these to be completely functional at the game, and there is nothing like rubbing it in the nose of a less skilled player. They have their shiny armour (which means nothing), their vanity pets (which mean nothing), their Guild Hall (which means nothing), and their party favours/trinkets (which mean nothing), they might look amazing but that won’t stop you wiping the floor with them in basic armour if you’re better at the game than they are.

Considerations: There are ranks in PvP, so there might be some grind there, but I don’t do PvP so I don’t know. In PvE though, you could complete each campaign in about a day’s play probably if you’re good enough.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I really hate misinformation, and many people have been duped into believing they need to grind in Guild Wars without actually checking their information. Check the wiki. The wiki exists to be checked. Or ask another player in the game. No, you don’t need to grind.

• Dominic White says:

Thank you – I was about to say much the same thing. All the things you could ‘grind’ for in Guild Wars are entirely optional or even just aesthetic. Fancy titles and high-rank armor don’t make you any more powerful or skilled, it just shows you’ve been playing for longer.

• Vinraith says:

@NieA7

A fair clarification, yes, but you don’t remotely need any of those PvE skills and the few that are actually useful (IMO) tend to be effective even at the kinds of title ranks you get just from normally playing through the game. I don’t know, I played PvE GW for what was probably a year and a half if you added it all together (spread over 3 years or so, with significant breaks inbetween). Of that, none of it was anything I’d call “grinding” and what little “farming” I did (a couple of hours, total, and usually for holiday vanity items) was just to try out solo builds. Grinding and farming is certainly an option, there’s tons of it to do if that’s your thing, but it’s easy to enjoy the game for a long time without ever having to do any of it.

• NieA7 says:

@ Vinraith

It’s true they’re not needed, but they’re so good (Aura of Holy Might?) that I always want them to be better so I can see where the grind urge comes from. I do a bit of farming mostly for monies to buy fancy armor, but I’ve got perfectly usable sets in the mean time so it’s nothing but vanity, and I only do it when I feel like it. Nicholas the Traveler with his weekly farm is fun too but I only worry about it if it’s something that’s not too time consuming.

Basically I think the people who complain about grind bring it on themselves, but that’s not quite the same thing as saying there’s no grind at all. There is, but nearly all the reasons to do it are aesthetic rather than mechanical – it’s up to the player to work out what’s important to them. Which is just another awesome thing about GW really.

• Wulf says:

@NieA7

As I pointed out previously and I shall point out again because it’s necessary; the grindy elite skills were added for WoW-heads.

What I mean by this is that they were unbalanced ‘uber’ skills tied to some kind of grind that were only included because WoW fanboys petitioned ArenaNet over and over, they whined, they nagged, they mewled and pleased, they bitched, they moaned, and they did everything else you’d expect from the kind of person that would frequent the World of Warcraft forums. They generally made a nuisance of themselves until ArenaNet threw them a bone.

The thing is though is that these skills are 100% unnecessary, you don’t need them to play or enjoy the game. Personally, I think they’re just a crutch. If you don’t have the skill, you can just EZ mode with elite skills. Basically, a WoW fanboy can grind for their ‘high rank’ skills which are more powerful than usual skills, so they don’t have to employ and utilise so many tactics on the battlefield. However, even an average Guild Wars gamer such as myself has no use for them.

If you understand how the game works, if you prepare your skills properly, and if you understand your skills instead of just using a cookie cutter build then you can outperform someone who’s relying on such a crutch. Some of the best players I’ve ever seen have just been those in basic armour with normals skills, they look like another grunt but they’re artists on the field, with their skill use, interception, and tactics.

So whilst those skills might be ‘nice’, they’re also totally unnecessary unless you’ve taught yourself that you need to grind for anything worthwhile and can’t get out of that mindset.

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

You point is being slightly confused by the fact that PvE skills and elite skills are two different things. Elite skils have to be captured out in the game world, but don’t require grind. PvE skills are linked to very grindy title tracks. PvE skills are a later edition.

• Heliocentric says:

The reason i call out grind is not selected to what most of you are talking about.

I’m talking about not being able to afford the basic armour for the stage i’m in. I’m talking about having to babysit salvaging. To be fair my worst suffering was as my first character when not only did i “not get it” i was a monk mesmer who was only really skilled up to support, i struggled to get more skills because i couldn’t go out and solo them and at the time (at least) the ai support wasn’t up to beating the skill quests everywhere after kryta. So stuck in a “no car, no job, no money” situation.

Came back as a few more powerful classes suited to soloing and it was easier, but now i was repeating content. Eh.

• Vinraith says:

@Helio

Yeah, the original campaign could be a little tough like that in the old days. I wouldn’t call that grind so much as bad pacing, but regardless later updates largely fixed it and the newer campaigns were all paced faster and more generously. That’s not to say they were easier (the fastest paced campaign, Factions, is also arguably the hardest) but you got to 20 and got basic “full stat” equipment much faster after which it became about your skill at using what you had.

• Heliocentric says:

So its gotten better? I guess i need to go back, and try the other campaigns.

• Vinraith says:

@Heliocentric

Try Nightfall. It provides customizable AI companions who can be equipped and given orders, a clearly defined tutorial area with a smooth learning curve and reasonable gear/skill pacing, and the “real” campaign has the best story of the three IMO. Oh, and you can play any campaign with a character from any other from the post-tutorial area, so if you get an NF character going that you like you could go over and finish the original Prophecies campaign without having to play through those opening stages again.

• NieA7 says:

@ Wulf

Well, I have at least enough understanding to know the difference between an elite skill (in since the start of the game, work likes any other skill except you can only have one on your bar) and a PvE skill (introduced post-Nightfall, max three on your bar, power related to grindy titles unlike every other skill) :p You’re right, they’re not needed, but they are powerful. All I’m saying is that there is grind in the game – it’s not compulsory, but to say it’s not there at all is to willfully avert your eyes.

@ Heliocentric

What Vinraith said. The only other thing I’d say is that if you’d got as far as Lion’s Arch you might consider Eye of the North instead of Nightfall – more challenging, less long and with a selection of interesting dungeons, it also has a selection of customizable AI companions (heroes) to pick up like Nightfall. The heroes make it much easier to solo or (even better) play with a friend rather than having to go out in a full party of humans. Anti-social it’s true, but sadly often more effective. Once you’ve got them you can use your heroes anywhere you like, in any campaign.

6. NieA7 says:

I love Guild Wars, I really do. I wouldn’t put it in my Greatest Games Evah list, but I’ve probably played it longer than any other game (except Elite, when I was younger and my wrists worked) and I still dip in once a week or so. The new micropayments stuff (including some new armor they just released for this event) is neither here nor there for me, but if it helps them finish GW2 I’ll probably buy a set if only as a thank you for the hundreds and hundreds of hours of fun I’ve had. What I’ve heard of GW2 doesn’t sound too hot, especially the stuff around the level cap being removed, the Norn and Asura and lots of shared instances, but GW is good enough I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt right up to placing a pre-order.

Basically: thank you, ArenaNet. Pound for pound Guild Wars must be the most entertaining thing I’ve ever bought.

• Vinraith says:

@NieA7

Indeed. My latter-day troubles with account security and malaise notwithstanding, GW is the second best cost per hour of fun ratio in my gaming history (Morrowind is first). It was awesome, probably still is awesome, and while I have my doubts and concerns about GW2 I certainly wish Anet nothing but success with it.

7. Wolfox says:

In the Guild Wars 1 lore, Gwen is a Mesmer, not an Elementalist.

That said, I can’t wait for Guild Wars 2. Loved the first one.

8. Wulf says:

Incredible lore.

Beautiful places to explore (I love Dociu).

I get to play as a Norn that can assume half-animal forms.

I get to play as a Charr.

I was sold on Guild Wars 2 ages ago, it’s just the long bloody wait for it.

9. dwl says:

The Robots/Golems are on our side! Well the Asuran side…..

From what I remember: GW and GW2 will co-exist. The hall of monuments seems to be their active crossover mechanism. I believe armour can be ‘passed down’ to character descendants. It would be nice if some skills could be transferred this way.

it sounds like the Krytan War goes badly for the humans, which could mean the Mursaat are back for GW2. \o/

The costume purchacing statement reminds me of the Bonus Mission Pack, which was in essence paid single player DLC. Maybe owners of the costumes will have access to storyline missions.

Also, Gwen is a Mesmer! Unless I missed something……

I am:
    A Guild Wars player.
    Excited.
    Not worried.
    Googling ‘Exirried’.

PS: There is no grinding in Guild Wars.

10. Kismet says:

The War in Kryta event started a few weeks ago and it’s currently running as a mix of in-game events players can witness in various areas of Tyria, in-character narration on the Guild Wars site and on the two factions at war Facebook pages. A recap of what happened so far can be found on Guild Wars Guru Forums. I didn’t get particularly involved in the viral part of the campaign, but the in-game events have been quite enjoyable so far.
    The Lieutenant Thackeray and Gwen affaire in the Far Shiverpeaks has put players on a sort of scavenger hunt with some not-so-bad rewards while trying to help the poor Keiran win the heart of the young mesmer girl. If I were him, I’d have given up already, but I guess the options are limited up there in the north (Lieutenant, there’s Olrun Olafdottir too, just make sure not to kill any leviathan!).
    The purchasable costumes… I’m fine with finding ways to pay the Guild Wars live team work on an aging game but they’re a bit worrying for the future of Guild Wars 2, especially considering the change of business model. I find ArenaNet has been relatively fair in terms of additional payable things so far though, so I’m not particularly worked up on the subject.
    As for the sequel, quite excited for the work of the talented Art team (I loved The Art of Guild Wars 2 Book) and Jeremy Soul soundtrack, but the few details we have on gameplay aspects have been a bit perplexing, if not pessimism-inducing. Still it’s really too early to draw any conclusion and I’d be lying if I said that Guild Wars 2 is not one of the few games I’m looking ahead to play.

11. Orange says:

Loved Guild Wars, not just great games but also tremendous value as well.

12. BrokenSymmetry says:

Guild Wars 2: Art design by Daniel Dociu, and music by Jeremy Soule. That’s all I need to know to buy the game for certain.

• Grape Flavor says:

Jeremy Soule is the MAN. I played the Guild Wars beta, what, SIX years ago, and I still remember some of the music. Not to mention KOTOR, Oblivion… This guy is so talented.

13. Grape Flavor says:

Arrgh. There’s lore, and then there’s too much lore. I beta tested Guild Wars and enjoyed it but never ended up buying. So last time I checked in these Charr thingies were attacking some kind of Great Northern Wall? in Ascalon? I’m hopelessly behind.

All these lore posts make my head hurt. Is there some way to get a reasonably concise overview of Guild Wars 1? I’m interested in Guild Wars 2 and I don’t like ignoring the backstory, on the other hand it’s a little late to start playing through the entirety of Guild Wars 1…

• Mr Labbes says:

I’d check the Guild Wars wikis, official or unofficial ones. They provide dialogue and everything for missions and quests.
      From a lore standpoint, you should also check out the Bonus Mission Pack’s “books”. They are quite good.

14. John Peat says:

I’ve gotten SO much fun out of Guild Wars it’s untrue – it’s probably the best value/per/£ game I’ve ever bought.

That said I always get to the Ascension Missions (where the difficulty ramps up to an insane degree) and quit – and then roll a new char some time later (usually after buying an expansion!)

I’m up for more GW anytime tho

15. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I spent 1500 hours on Guild Wars.

Where has all the time gone?

16. malkav11 says:

They’d better not shut down GW1. Other than that, -shrug-.

17. Byron_black says:

Pretty sure gwen was a mesmer but….

Still playing GW after 3 years so looking forward to any new content

18. Junch says:

Does anybody not see? Ebonhawke, the place that couple’s going to set up, is like subsconscious ripping of Ebon Hawke, ship in KOTOR.

19. Magic H8 Ball says:

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who realize it’s ultimately pointless to put detailed backstories into MMORPGs and those who don’t.

20. Sobric says:

I’d like to echo Vinraith and other’s comments. I bloody loved GW. Similar to Vinraith, I’ve sunk a lot of time into it on and off over the last 5 years (I bought it on release, then put it down for almost 2 years I think , before picking it up again in Nightfall).

I think that, for me, the best aspect of the game is its mechanics. Once you understand them, they are superb. I came to an epiphany when creating a Paragon (the character I’ve gone furthest with), finally understanding how skills could interact properly not just across my own limited skill bar but across the whole party. I’ve really felt that what I’ve learned from GW has applied to numerous other games, largely strategy games.

So basically, as long as the core nucleaus of limited, specific skill selection remains the same, I’m all in.

NB: there have been some hints at the gameplay of GW2 btw, it’s not all just lore. Perhaps the most tantalising is the suggestion that skills and spells will change depending on your environment. It’s unclear exactly how this will emerge, but I hope it will be, for example, Fire based spells causing added affects of deadly steam in Snowy or otherwise wet environments.

Oh, and as far the level-cap removal going, I get the impression that they’ll just keep the number ticking up with no real affect, for e-peen sake. At the moment the cap may be 20, but your XP bar still rises and you still gain a Skill Point for every “level”. GW2 will just attach a meaningless number to that.

• Sobric says:

I write too much.

Does anyone have problems logging in btw? I’m at work and the logging-in never seems to “stick” when I return to RPS.

Altough it has in this reply.

Hmmm.

• Sobric says:

Reading other’s comments and writing all that has really inspired me to reinstall GW and take a look at these events, as well as try and complete EoTN. Plus, I can see what GW looks like on my new PC (it looked great on a 3 year old non-gaming PC mind you!).

If anyone fancies joining me, my in game name will probably be Perikles Vanuson, but could also be Sobric Vanuson.

21. Griddle Octopus says:

Pedant’s Corner: Gwen is a mesmer, not a elementalist – the news alert was wrong, sorry.

22. seras says:

after not logging on for two months i popped in to make sure my account was ok and saw the war in kryta login news which got me really excited.

then i found out it doesnt involve anything new to do, just random bits of extra dialogue, so i logged back out.

23. Ray says:

I’m still quite unsure on GW2. I almost exclusively played PvP in GW1, but the direction Anet took the PvP in post Nightfall makes me doubt their ability to manage to make another game with such satisfactory PvP.

That being said, GW1 had the best PvP in any game I’ve ever played. I think by the time quit I had managed to put in about 2500 hours over the two years. At its prime, during Factions, GvG’s were such incredible fun, and possibly the best gaming experience I’ve ever had. Its just a shame Anet realised that it was far easier to make money from PvE characters, and resorted to making use of quite extreme power creep with regard to the new skills to encourage PvPers to buy Nightfall. I still remember with horror how bad the meta was when I quit. Almost every build you came across had ridiculous amounts of defence, making warrior an extremely dull class to play as I was effectively useless if our midline weren’t constantly removing the enemies’ defences.

I reinstalled a month or so ago to play for a bit, but apparently after two years of not playing meant no one on my friends list still played, so I soon got bored after playing for an hour or two.

• Kester says:

++ to this. I loved Guild Wars multiplayer; the system was incredibly well-designed and it made for a very tight experience. I was always surprised that it had the relatively small community that it did, but maybe the learning curve was just too steep? I might have to go back and take a look again: I haven’t played since Factions.

That said though, I’m not sure about Guild Wars 2. I can’t blame ArenaNet for what seems to be a more PvE focus – it was always clear that there were many more PvE than PvP players even in GW1 – but that wasn’t the part I enjoyed.

• Ray says:

I think the main reason the community was so small was there was no easy route to go from playing PvE to PvP. Unless you were in a guild with some PvPers who were willing to take on new players to teach them, it was really hard to become any good at PvP from scratch. Most GvG guilds required players with at least some experience, and if you took the route of playing tombs/HA it was unlikely you’d meet any decent players and would probably end up playing IWAY or whatever the FotM was at that point, until you reached a high enough rank to actually join some halfway decent groups.

I’m not really sure if there’s anything they could have done to solve the issue tbh; PvE and PvP were just so fundamentally different styles of play. It doesn’t help that its possible to breeze through the PvE campaign with an absolutely terrible build, leading to an attitude that their build was fine, often ignoring advice to just run whatever the accepted builds were at that point.

*sigh*. I miss GW. It was so much fun and I met some great people playing it; I’m quite annoyed I let myself fall out of contact with the vast majority of them.

24. Azazel says:

Guild Wars represents tremendous value for money. It’s not unsung, but not quite sung enough.

25. Guildenstern says:

Hope they put more effort into animating and voicing cutscenes this time around. Those were so amateurish in GW1 that they killed any interest in story and lore for me.

• Sobric says:

They improved it a few million times over by Nightfall and Eye of the North (in particular). If the trend continues upward, the cut-scened storytelling has the potential to be one of the strongest aspects of the game.

26. nilzardo says:

What do the golems (robots) have to do with the war in Kryta? Those are just asuran golems. That’s just an epic fail sir… And why does Gwen have to establish Ebonhawke? That’s just ridiculous! I hate Gwen! AAAAHH!!!! Anyways, this is pretty exciting!

• Kismet says:

@nilzardo: You’re right, the Asuran golems are unrelated to the War in Kryta event, like the Gwen-Thackeray bit despite what the press release says. The images are there probably because there’s been another event not mentioned in the news, regarding the golemancer Zinn being put on trial (players can witness the trial talking to Chark in Arbor Bay, right outside Vlox’s Falls).

As all these events, along with the soon to be published book(s?), are supposed to be a bridge to the sequel, we’ll probably see events involving Norns and Charrs too at some point.

27. Azazel says:

She should establish LadyHawke.

28. The Dark One says:

Fear not, loyal Hillyans.

29. Nick says:

Yay, time to play GW again! So good..

30. Sonic Goo says:

Guild Wars:

Pros:
    The art is absolutely lovely, loved the asian/african themes of the expansions
    The no subs business model
    Jumping from server to server is convenient

Cons:
    You’re often guided into paths, it doesn’t feel like an actual world
    Speaking of which, all the instancing doesn’t help either
    Bottleneck missions to unlock areas are annoying

• Vinraith says:

@Sonic Goo

Agreed on all of those except the instancing. It’s a little late for this argument, since GW2 is doing away with a lot of the instancing, but that’s one of the things that most worries me about the sequel. Instancing allows the player to have their own experience, eliminates the needs for respawn that other mechanical contrivances that make games like WoW such a chore, and ensures that you only play with the people you WANT to play with, rather than being surrounded by obnoxious, immersion-breaking children. I’m quite certain that if the game wasn’t heavily instanced I’d never have played more than a few hours of it, and I’m similarly certain that unless GW2 does something incredibly innovative with its non-instanced areas to prevent the usual problems it’ll be the lack of instancing that kills it for me.

31. Joe says:

Key, viral, content, literally, key, key, iconic. All it’s missing is an epic. Own brand fantasy – wake me up when the (ahem) lore (barf) is over.

32. Randomessa says:

It is absolutely not too late to play through GW1! There are only three chapters, the second and third of which are much more brief than the first, and a very short expansion to catch you up. The sequel doesn’t even have a beta test date yet, let alone a release date, so do not worry that you are too far behind.

33. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

As long as there is Wintersday and as long as there is Jeremy Soule music, I’ll be fine.

34. MacD says:

Oh my…I should really log in to play my mesmer again.

The only problem I had was that when I played, no-one really GOT the mesmer class. All they’d say was that they were kicking ass and that the missions were so easy….but no-one seemed to really get thta that was because I was area-draining HP with 5 of my skills :(

That also didn’t really get me drops or xp, cause it wasn’t permanent and I usually didn’t kill so much as terribly, terribly weaken the oposition.

I swear, that was and is the best unrecognised build I’ve ever played in any game.

Still, what a blast to play, and in such a beautifull environment :) GW has given me the best bang for my buck with the possible exception (as previously mentioned) of Morrowind.

35. Kingmaker says:

Scanning through all of this I’m seeing the word LORE a lot… does this game do a really good job of telling a story and making you part of it? I was kind of waiting for Bioware to deliver with TOR but if this packs in as much lore goodness as everyone is on about here then it might be worth checking out.

• dwl says:

As much as I love all of GW, I don’t think It did a good job of ‘telling the story’. Its hard to describe. Essentially the lore is deep and complex, the character stories are full of depth and genuinely interesting but its very easy to miss it all.
      I eventually got it; there is just so much that if they forced it on the player it would bog the whole game down and so the player is left to explore and discover. This treasure hunt style makes the game feel shallow when it really isn’t, you just have to work a bit to get the rewards. I guess it comes down to whether you accept this method of storytelling or prefer a TV/Movie approach.
      I think GW2 would really benefit from integration of the wiki directly into the game, having back-story and game info within the game UI might allow players to connect with the lore a bit more.

36. Wraggles says:

Eh if you jump straight into pvp it’s a bit grindy, you get some very basic skills, very basic elite skills, and you have no runes or attachments for your armour. So you’d have to play near on 5-6 hours to create your first decent character.

PvE was a little grindy too, especially if you wanted to find the runes to make a powerful set of armour, and to get the elite skill you want for your build. Then they also added the pve specific skills based off titles. That was a bit unfortunate, but factions rep you could get from doing Faction based pvp, so if you were into that you kinda got them along the way.

37. Hummer says:

They said for sure a while back that they will not stop GW1 support

38. Qtwo says:

Gwen is not an elementalist as you have stated in your article.

39. Shane says:

I have to agree with Vinraith’s point about grinding, or the lack of the need. I for one have made extensive use of collector weapons, and practically ALL of my heroes use them. They’re perfect, don’t cost ectos, and are readily available. I think that made iot easier for me to concentrate on titles, achievements, and campaign completion better, instead of endless searching and WTB/WTT-ing for that special item a hero needed.

40. Shane says:

“dwl says: … and so the player is left to explore and discover…”

And this is a BAD thing??

41. JPBREON says:

Gwen is an Elementalist since it appears the Mesmer is being scrapped or consolidated. Which is too bad since it was my second favorite profession.

If the monk doesn’t make it into GW2.. well, that would be bad for me.