Story Of The Blues: BlazBlue To Come To PC

By Kieron Gillen on April 16th, 2010 at 10:53 pm.

The best thing about there being so few fighters on the PC means that we can do all the LOOK! THEY ARE DANCING! jokes and they're relatively fresh rather than being something you'd do in a gamesmaster box-out circa 1994. Yays!

I didn’t know this was happening, but it’s welcome. BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger – which does sound like the sort of title Quinns would make up at his most frenzied incoherence – arrived on the consoles in Europe this month, in the UK via Zen United. “IRRELEVANT TO THE TRUE CHURCH OF GAMING” you may say. To which I say i) your saying is a lot like a lot of other people’s shouting. Chill, daddio. and ii) the PC version hits in June. If you want to know why that’s a good thing, I point you at Eurogamer’s 9/10 review which elaborates how it pushes the 2D Fighting game, in terms of a more building-up rather than pure memory combo system. Also, neat character design. It’s also worth noting that it’ll be compatible with the 360 multiplayer, meaning that there’s a community of gamers for you to meet and be beaten up by in existence. When it’s a genre which – to be polite – tends to lean consolewards, that sort of thing is quite important. It could be very lonely otherwise. A trailer nestles below…

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lilliput King says:

Yesssss

2. Psychopomp says:

PREPARE FOR THE REBEL

3. jsutcliffe says:

Sweet! I’ve been on the fence about getting this on a consolebox for ages.

4. CaptainHairy says:

It’s just a shame that the PC will have the Xbox community for a scant month before Continuum Shift arrives on that platform and makes the cross-compatibility pointless.

• Lars Westergren says:

It’s not like every Xbox player will instantly ditch the old game for the new. And more to the point, I know my friends won’t, so I can still play with them.

5. Drexer says:

From my twitter:

“Blazblue for the PC?
    BLAZBLUE FOR THE PC?
    Blazblue for the PC!
    BLAZBLUE FOR THE PC!
    BLAZBLUE FOR THE PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

On related notes, my projection of grades for this semester just went down.

6. Jon says:

As wonderful as it is to see more games coming to the PC, it seems odd that they are porting Calamity Trigger as opposed to Continuum Shift (the latest version.)
    Continuum Shift caused a bit of a stir in the fighting game community recently when the arcade release (which runs on an embedded XP system) was patched to run on regular PCs by some Japanese enthusiasts, and then got leaked to the P2P scene. When porting the newer game to the PC is so easy even the pirates can do it without looking at the source code, why did they bother porting the older outdated version?

7. Phill Cameron says:

I miss the time where everything animated had a guitar solo theme/everything music.

8. Nanaya says:

It’s just too bad Blazblue Continuum Shift is coming out June 1 in Asia.

9. Magius Paulus says:

Maybe this game will do to make up for my bitter disappointment that SSF4 will not be made available to the pc.

10. bitkari says:

It’s also worth noting that it’ll be compatible with the 360 multiplayer

Fuck me! They’ve got themselves a sale.

11. faelnor says:

O_o this is ugly as hell. Who drew this?
    I thought japanese designers were past the ‘teacher with big boobs / leather belts ladden rogue / costume animal with the “”"mysterious and dark “”" scarecrow smile / basic thug / shadow monster with simple holes as face attribute / guy with a huge rocket launcher’, etc.
    Who’s that game aimed at?

• Psychopomp says:

People who like those kinda of things?
      Regardless, it’s still supposed to be a fantastic fighting game.

• Shih Tzu says:

I wonder, what would a fighting game aimed at the RPS crowd and not the anime/console crowd look like? Dirt-caked Russians and ASCII dwarves vs. Ben and Dan?

• Wulf says:

@Shih Tzu

Yes! Actually, a group at TIGSource are creating an arena brawler featuring indie characters at the moment. I have to admit that BlazBlue isn’t for me, it’s just not quite the sort of thing I enjoy, but I’m very, very eager to see Indie Brawl finished.

• James G says:

@Wulf Re: Indie Brawler

Haha, that sounds fantastic. Ridiculously self-indulgent yes, but fantastically so. I also note that they intend to keep it updated with new characters. If they design it carefully, I can see them making it easy to slot in characters via a modding system.

12. Spacewalk says:

I will never know why anyone would want to play Street Fighter on a controller that only has four buttons on the face so you chaps should get more mileage out of BlazBlue.

13. Gwyn says:

PCs don’t come with 360 pads as standard, there’s nothing stopping you buying a stick!

• Kieron Gillen says:

Yeah, but throwing down whatever-quid to play just one game doesn’t strike me as a smart thing to do.

I’d spend it on crisps instead.

KG

• Tei says:

I tested it with The Last Remand RPG. Its designed for the pad, still feels wrong to play it with the pad on the PC. Playing something *limited* feels bad on the PC. You know you can just right click, or move the cursor and directly select or drag and drop things. .. and everything the pad can’t. So is too limiting.

• AndrewC says:

Oooo, an article saying why xbox controllers are better than mouse and keyboard for some games! That won’t cause any arguments.

See M&K is great for accuracy, but the point’n'click of a mouse is too abstract to give any sense of physicality to movement in the game world. But controllers are excellent for this sense of physically moving something in the game world, and then if

• Bhazor says:

I’d say that a keyboard is closer to an arcade pad than a controller. With a controller you can only deploy a single digit for the four face buttons compared to the pc where each button can have it’s very own dedicated finger.

Thats not going into the potential for macros such as SFIVs one button throw. The one disadvantage is there’s no pressure sensitive twiddle stick and you have to rely on sweeping across three keys to get a curve. Sensitive twiddle sticks are something I’ve been wanting on my keyboard since I first played Splinter Cell on the Xbox after playing it on the PC. I heart sensitive twiddling.

• AndrewC says:

If only more PC gamers would twiddle sensitively.

14. Phil H says:

Oooh, exciting, though yes, I wish it were Continuum Shift* being ported. But I may still double dip for this version so that I can be extra nerdy and use my SFIV PS3 stick against XBox-based opponents on the PC.

*okay, no, I really just want more Guilty Gear, BlazBlue is close, but I haven’t quite gelled to anyone in it like I did with Millia.

15. pkt-zer0 says:

SF4 works just fine on a keyboard, unless you play Zangief. Better than a pad for charge characters, even.

Anyway, while I find screwing around fun even in GG type games, I’m not fond of how long even the basic combos are. We shall see how this works out, I guess. In the absence of SSF4, it’ll do, at least.

16. JuJuCam says:

Fantastic. I had a go of this on XBOX at the store the other day and then felt sad that my box had red ringed a month or so ago. Now I needn’t worry!

17. Lemon scented apocalypse says:

“neat character design.” – i hate to sound the cantankerous sub-bridge dweller, but i really hope this was a sarcastic statement.

• kromagg says:

Yeah I was watching it going “at least there’s no girl in a school girl unif… oh”. Tired old manga tropes recycled, more like?

18. WiPa says:

Glad to see the compulsory big breasted half naked woman in there.

19. James T says:

That IS worth noting; especially by CAPCOM, if they’re releasing SSF4 on PC (it’s looking likely, post-arcade announcement).

However, no other PC fighter can stand up to the perfection that is DONG DONG NEVER DIE:

• Hypocee says:

@James T: I prefer Tekken RI.

But more seriously (slightly) did anyone else get suckered by PC-exclusive 2D beat-’em-up Savage Warriors back in the day? When I first started following the world of videogames rather than buying at whim, that was my object lesson in not believing a word of magazine previews. To this day my brother gets to win basically any argument if he remembers to say ’3D Bio Motion’.

20. ChampionHyena says:

I seem to recall Kotaku saying that SSFIV WILL be coming to the PC.

21. GGX_Justice says:

As a long time fan of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, so much so that I bought a copy of Calamity Trigger just to support Arks System works even though I lacked a console (past tense :O), this is excellent news!

Just a tip for anyone picking this up, don’t over-look the story mode. I feel a lot of reviewers didn’t give it the time it deserves, solely because it’s a splintered narrative which you slowly piece together. I feel it’s remarkably clever in how it approaches a facet of fighting games, which is everyone needing to fight and different endings depending on which character wins. They approach this in a very inventive way, which leads to a tragic narrative and, if I may say so, epic conclusion. “The alternate truth has yet to be found” will certainly pique your curiosity…

In essence, while you buy fighting games for the multi-player, I’d almost haphazard that BlazBlue is worth it for the storyline alone. Almost. If you have a friend you’d be able to play versus with, then I’d definitely suggest that you’ll look into a purchase.

Any questions at all, I’m more than happy to answer.

22. hansdampf says:

YEEES!!! NICE!!! AWESOME…
    wait…
    that means it uses Live :\

Quote: “On a related note, when SF4 hit on the PC, we were planning to do a load more about it, but playing with a 360 pad was fucking unbearable. So we didn’t. Man!” — Did you ever thought about using some other pad like ps2 pad via usb-adapter or something?

23. Darkkn says:

Dauyym! Just bought this game yesterday on ps3 :( Anyway the game is awesome for fighting game newbies like me. Battles are always entertaining to play and watch other people play because of insane visuals. I’ve also been surprised how fast i’m learning combos and tactics for new characters… Somehow this game feels easier to get into than SF IV.

24. DarkNoghri says:

Hrrm, console cross-multiplayer implies GFWL, yes?

Not that I’m a huge fan of fighting games, but that’s just another annoyance to deal with.

25. Aemony says:

This just made my day!

• Aemony says:

Btw, somethings wrong with the captcha again:
      1:st try: Wrong captcha.
      2:nd try: Wrong captcha.
      3:rd try: Couldn’t read captcha cookie, check your browser settings.
      4:th try: Duplicate comment detected.

That’s what happened with my above post and it seems that even if the cookie wasn’t readable on the third try the comment was posted non-the-less.

26. Vinraith says:

Interesting, fighting games are too rare on the PC. I’m curious whether I’d find this as impenetrable as I find most 2d fighting games, though “more building-up rather than pure memory combo system” sounds encouraging. I’m much more comfortable with the Soul Calibur school of thought, fluidly building moves onto one another rather than memorizing complex combo strings. Is BlazBlue really effective at moving 2d fighters in that direction?

27. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    I thought japanese designers were past the ‘teacher with big boobs / leather belts ladden rogue / costume animal with the “””mysterious and dark “”” scarecrow smile / basic thug / shadow monster with simple holes as face attribute / guy with a huge rocket launcher’, etc.

I laughed out loud, but not too loud, as I’m only one awake at the moment. Good job.

Who’s that game aimed at?

Same as all games from Japan – people who are unfortunate enough to be able to suppress the most basic of their cognitive abilities. Or who never had them fully functioning in the first place.

28. bildo says:

IRRELEVANT TO THE TRUE CHURCH OF GAMING

29. iainl says:

Is there a way to use non-360 controllers with GFWL games, then? I have a Dreamcast stick (plus USB adaptor) sitting here making me get the PC release, if so.

30. squirrel says:

The term “patch” is rather funny here. I would refer to it as crack than patch. That version was “developed” illegally. I think no one would disagree this fact.

But I share the same question as you do. It is not wise to invest in port an outdated game to a new platform, unless that cost is negligible (which might be true as the arcade version is essentially a Windows PC version already). Interplay with XBOX gamers is not a selling point to me for this game since it makes perfect sense to predict that this game will soon die out on XBOX as the sequel will have been there by that time. Will you consider connectivity between XBOX and PC gamers over Halo 2 as a selling point for Halo 2 PC?

If the game is still active on XBOX, then this is definitely a selling point. I do notice that some game developers are so inconsiderate in this. EPIC games, for instance, failed to make Gears of War PC multiplayer compatible with that of the XBOX version. Sadly they refused to admit this obvious mistake and blame us PC gamers for the poor sale that they refuse to bring any new Gears of War game to PC, sigh.

31. TheApologist says:

Great idea – I don’t understand why cross-compatibility with Xbox types for multiplayer is so rare for ports, so good to see them doing this.

32. Dominic White says:

Just to kill the gamepad argument, you can get an official USB-cabled Sega Saturn gamepad off EBay for something like £12 these days. For the past decade it has been considered *the* controller for anyone who likes fighting/arcade games. Great D-pad and six face-buttons.

Also, tough as hell and weighs almost nothing.

As for the news – hurrah! Blazblue coming to PC, although why they couldn’t wait a while and just port the currently-in-arcades Continuum Shift edition (more characters, features, rebalanced all over) is beyond me.

33. Hmm says:

A definite buy, cross-platform play is a great idea, I’m just afraid many console player will move to Continuum Shift…
    Now, what about Super Street Fighter 4 for PC with cross-platform play, Capcom? Make it happen!

34. GGX_Justice says:

@Vinraith:

Hmm, it is designed to be more approachable than usual, even including a system on the console release to bind special moves to a single flick of the analogue stick…

Yet having said that, to truly compete online does require the traditional route memory of character’s bread ‘n’ butter combos. BlazBlue does alleviate this somewhat by having special moves that naturally link to others (it shows this on the move list, a good example being Ragna’s ability to add his Soul Eater move onto the end of damn near everything) and even a character who can cancel all of his moves into his others (Hakumen, woo!) but, in the end, it is a traditional 2D fighter. Ark System Works is trying very hard to get new blood into the genre, and is making it easy to pick up (if you have a console, perhaps wait for Continuum Shift, as that has a fully voiced training mode AND beginner mode).

I’d say that if you have a friend who’d be willing to play with you, then you’d certainly have fun with them in versus, and the storyline is of good length and excellent quality. But if the only multi-player action you’ll be seeing is online, then you’ll (unfortunately) be meeting those tiresome obsessives.

35. somnolentsurfer says:

Compatible with the 360? Presumably that means it’ll be GfWL then?

36. MultiVaC says:

That trailer seems less like a game promotion and more like an attempt to showcase every single anime trope known to man in under 2 minutes.

37. blah says:

AWESOME!

38. Diogo Ribeiro says:

HEAVEN OR HELL

LET’S ROCK!

Guilty Gear was awesome and from what I’ve seen of BlazBlue, it’s awesomer. Can’t wait.

39. hansdampf says:

Pure BS! -_-

Thats basic pattern which led world war 2 and all the other ideology driven wars.

• hansdampf says:

damn it…. the RPS make it easy to use it in a wrong way -_- maybe I’m just stupid :P

comment above is reply for Magic H8 Ball

40. NoahApples says:

So pumped for this except wait why the Hell isn’t it Continuum Shift this is lame I need a console

41. Lim-Dul says:

BTW – Continuum Shift runs just fine on the PC via a… uhm… WORKAROUND… Taito X2 systems are basically PCs and the fact that crackers/hackers are able to make the game run on a PC just goes to show you how easy a potential port would be. =)

• Zyrxil says:

Holy crap, it’s true. Even more mind-boggling then. Even if it weren’t true, I would’ve thought a Blazblue -> Blazblue sequel could be done with something like a 2 gig patch.

42. pakoito says:

It’s a joke we’re gettin the first iteration more than a year late while in japland and USA are in the second one.

43. Skeez187 says:

This is some of the best gaming news I’ve heard this year.

And yes the SF4 controller is horrible for SF4 IMO, d-pad just doesn’t work correctly. Anyone know of a decent game pad?

Comment on this story