Left 4 News: The Passing Next Week

By Jim Rossignol on April 17th, 2010 at 4:09 pm.

With news of worlds colliding over at the L4D blog, we learn that The Passing is out “next week”. Time for those mysteries to give themselves us. And time to dust off those zombie-whacking skills. Thwotch!

, , , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Lobotomist says:

What game is this again ? L4D2 ?

Is anyone playing that still ?

2. Morti says:

Well, I still play l4d2 every now and then (mostly versus or expert+realism campaigns with 3 buddies of mine). I’d never go back to l4d1, it needs moar chainsaw, you see.

3. Alex McLarty says:

Server search is still duff for L4D. Tried for 30 mins the other night to get a match going, always defaulted to local host with a ping of 5 for the hoster and pings for 500 for the rest! Hooray!

L4D2 server search always finds US for me and my mates, with pings usually in the range of 100 – 250ms.

• megaman says:

We had that too last week. Nothing is more agonizing than meeting online with your friends and spending 1 of 4 hours searching for a non-local server. ANY non-local server would have been fine with us after a while, but it seems like there was some steam hickup last week preventing us from playing on dedicated servers.
      We tried a dozen times, then played a bit (with two people having >600 ping), then tried a couple more times, then played a bit, then quit frustrated. Not exactly what you’re hoping for when you want to play a game with your friends.

4. Ygtdf says:

“People who I’ve seen playing L4D have gone back to L4D1 instead of L4D2.”

Can’t say I understand them. L4D 1 has superior atmosphere, which matters in the first ten or so hours, but past that it’s all about gameplay and after playing L4D 2, the shortcomings of the first one are painfully obvious and hurtful for replayability, both in versus and campaign.

• Qazi says:

Oh, don’t mind Roadrunnerr. Not been paying attention to how we now play both games equally.
      After not touching L4D for six months its quite refreshing to jump back into that delicious, darker atmosphere and the banter of the four original survivors, despite the flaws in gameplay. Also, nostalgia railing on the four original campaigns. I keep prodding them to get the L4DonL4D2 maps but no one listens. :(

• malkav11 says:

I’m not convinced it even has superior atmosphere. I’ve been hugely impressed with the maps in L4D2. Not so much L4D1, where it all kind of blurs together for me after a bit.

Stense says:

Groovy. Not been playing recently as I’ve been having a Bioware-a-thon, but greatly looking forward to getting back to the apocalypse.

Plus that picture still makes me smile. Which is nice.

6. DMJ says:

Sun goes down, grass burns, Witches shriek… and brother – I hurt zombies!

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

You sound like Alex from A Clockwork Orange…The next thing we know you’ll start with lines like “You understand me, brothers, you’d do the same…”
      The sad thing is…we would…and the britva would be the most harmless thing..

DarkNoghri says:

He’s riffing on the Scout.

7. Out Reach says:

Bill.

• Heliosicle says:

l4d2 needs more of it.

• Pamplemousse says:

They should replace every character with Bill.

And he shout spout his witticisms non-stop for the entire campaign.

Awesome.

Vandelay says:

Still playing L4D2 quite a lot. It is just a great game when everything comes together. It has many faults, but the vast majority of those come down to who you are playing with, rather than the game itself. If you are just jumping into quick matches then you are likely to have a bad time, but find some decent people to play with and you will find it to be one of the best multiplayer games there is around. There are a few faults with the Versus mode that need sorting out (mainly that Valve cater far too much to people who don’t seem to know how to play the game and particularly making it an easy ride for the Survivors,) but playing Scavenge is fantastic. I hope “The Passing” comes with more maps for that mode, particularly ones in the vein of Atrium and Sugar Mill. Also excited to see what the new game modes are about.

Vandelay says:

Oh, and I not sure making the L4D1 DLC is a great idea. Unless they add the Charger and Spitter to it, I can’t see why you would want to go back to that corner camping fest. I can live without the melee weapons, fire/explosive ammo, defibs, etc. but all four of you sitting in a corner punting zombies away got dull very quickly.

Hodge says:

One can’t help but fantasize that the bloke in the AUSTRALIA shirt is Michael Atkinson.

10. Bolt Axyon says:

I foresee a 34% increase in price for europe, even if it’s free.
    L4D2 is like Weekend at Bernies, where’s the fun in mangling corpses i broad daylight?

11. Novotny says:

If only we really could beat the Australians whenever we’re holding cricket bats. Sigh.

12. rocketman71 says:

About damned fucking time. And now, let’s see if the L4D DLC that was going to be released on April comes before autumn.

tikey says:

Next Week you say?
    Then it’s confirmed. The Passing is out next month.

14. Pantsman says:

Just in time for the end of exams. Hot damn!

15. Doctor Doc says:

So what’s the price? Is it free? I might maybe reinstall if it’s free but I doubt it’s worth my time, but it’s definitely not worth my money. L4D2 is nice and all but I realized that I got tired of the concept in L4D, it’s a very flat game.

16. Mashakosha says:

I can sum this up with 2 words.
    Do want.
    I’ll use more words though. My friends and I have been waiting for this for ages, they’re the reason I keep playing L4D1 and 2. Never gets old with them.

17. Kevbo says:

Amazing games, both of them and am highly looking forward to some more official content. However all the great custom maps are very welcomed and quite good as well :)

phuzz says:

Oh Em Gee Spoilerz
    The movie poster for The Passing is up on the L4D blog now, and in the back ground there’s the three original survivors, and from the silhouettes it’s pretty obvious who’s missing, I’ll leave it up to those that want to spoil it to see it here

phuzz says:

After arguing bitterly with a friend for most of the afternoon, it turns out that there’s at least two versions of the poster being served up by valve, I can see one with Francis, Louis and Bill, and my friend can see Francis, Louis and Zoe…
    ooo Valve you tricksy hobbits!

20. kennycrown says:

you know this is a very good post i havent thought about this for quite a while and you have like sparked me to look into it further and re educate my self in the subject….thanks,hope to see more of your posts soon