Devil’s Haircut: Sam & Max Demo. Also, Hats

By Kieron Gillen on April 19th, 2010 at 8:54 am.

Hat-Hat Guns

The new season of Sam & Max has started with an episode whose title I can’t write, else my inner-12 year old takes over and the rest of the post is just me sniggering. To lure you in, there’s a playable demo available for the PC and the other PC. If you want to play more, you have to buy the whole season, which gets the episodes shipped to you monthly. But where to buy? Well, two options. Get it from Telltale’s shop and you get the collector’s edition DVD shipped to you when the season is complete. Buy it from Steam before April 23rd and you get some Team Fortress 2 items, as worn by our two models above. But if you pre-ordered it already from Telltale, you can unlock your hats here. So get it from Telltale, I guess. Anyway – the trailer for the first episode follows…

I’d do a “Hehehehehehehe. He said Penal” gag here, except he didn’t.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Tusque d'Ivoire says:

with all the hat-in-jokes, this site should be renamed Rock, Paper – HAT! (because hat beats all)

2. toni says:

episode is easiest and shortest yet. having said that – the production values, pacing and staging of scenes is mindboggingly excellent and the dialogues hillarious as always. shame about the non-existing difficulty though since the game now feels more like an interactive animation movie than a puzzle game. still recommended, entertainment value very high though it could do with a little more mayhem and insanity on S&M’s part

3. Rick says:

You can still get the hats and guns from http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2hats even if you ordered from TTG rather than Steam. The Penal Zone’s actually rather good, it’s certainly more substantive than TTG’s previous Sam & Max efforts, and it’s far closer to the atmosphere of the original comics than any other Sam & Max game.

4. DJ Phantoon says:

The choice is easy. Which is to say now that there isn’t actually a choice (because the only difference is you get a collector’s edition or don’t), it’s even easier than before.

5. MuscleHorse says:

It’s a sad indication of the way things have gone that, while I do want this anyway, I really wish I had enough luxury money left over for the hats.

6. mcwizardry says:

If you buy it from Telltale you should also get a code that adds the third season games plus hats on Steam. Just noticed that by accident this morning.

7. Smee says:

I’m faintly annoyed that my Press Pass Steam account has given me this new Sam and Max game but not the hats or items in TF2. I’m this close to emailing Valve’s support about it, but in all honesty I don’t think I should really ask for more free stuff from those guys.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Smee: I suspect people with Steam Press passes should show more decorum on the matter of in-game hats. You’ll be begging for a free pen at E3 next or something. Dignity! Dignity! Dignity!

KG

8. Lambchops says:

It’s a good episode.

Contrary to Toni’s comment above the episode is far from the shortest yet (I think it took me about 4-5 hours which is actually on the longer side of the scale for a Telltale episode), though he is right in saying it’s quite easy. I’d strongly recommend setting the hint setting to zero – you’re a smart person, with a lovely haircut, and you probably wont need them.

Though easy there are still a few nice “a-ha” moments when you discover how to use Max’s psychic powers to full effect. They also lend themselves to a lot of rather nice hidden gags. Overall it’s an enjoyable romp. It didn’t suffer from the copy pasted supporting cast of Tales of Monkey Island and as far as the Telltale games go I think I actually marginally prefer the more laugh out loud style of Sam and Max to the quiet chuckles induced by Monkey Island (though I think that overall Monkey Island will undoubtably remain the best overall story).

A promising start to the new ‘season’ and I’m looking forawrd to enjoying the rest of the episodes. All I ask for is a few more challenging puzzles.

9. RakeShark says:

I must say, if Valve hadn’t already won me over with their quality products, the fact that they have no qualms about referencing Sam and Max in one of their major video games would have done it.

I might be wrong, but haven’t most modern games that referenced other games typically have done it in a condescending nature (DOOM3′s “Broken STEAM ValvE” springs to mind)?

• Wulf says:

It is wonderful, and just what I’ve come to expect from Valve, really. Here’s hoping they do it with other games. I especially liked the image, wot with the Heavy looking so gleeful about how awesome this all is.

Oh! Idea! Quote (Cave Story) hat! I want a Quote hat! Make it happen, Valve!

10. Dave says:

After playing TF2 this weekend, I was wondering how many people bought it just for the hat.

11. Jugglenaut says:

I will admit that I bought it this week for the hats. I had originally been waiting until my backlog of games grew shorter (and waiting for an eventual sale) but the hats brought enough incentive to just get it now.

12. Wulf says:

Oh hey, it’s out! I’ve not been keeping up with one of my email addresses. >.> I now have something new to play once I’m done checking out all the news for today, and thanks to Rick I now have Max hats for TF2 as well! Yay, thanks Rick!

I’m quite looking forward to this.

13. A-Scale says:

For the record, no matter where you buy it you now get the hats. Look at the telltale site for details.

14. Froibo says:

I haven’t played a good adventure game since Grim Fandango. Is this series up to par? The temptation of hats is hard to pass up on..

15. JackShandy says:

As an old-school adventure fan, Sam and max: Season 2 was one of the best adventure games I’ve ever played. I liked it better than the original Hit the Road, even- the puzzles were certainly more logical.

Comment on this story