Toonstruck Screenshot Gallery

By John Walker on April 19th, 2010 at 11:48 am.

Ah, lines on videos, takes you back.

Fourteen years old, Toonstruck has dated in some respects, primarily the scan-line FMV. But being cartoon, in others it remains as lovely today. The main trouble is how hard it is to get to run, requiring DosBox with special instructions, or Virtual Machine. Or better yet, and I’m increasingly tempted to do this, building a box out of ancient PC parts and installing Win 95 on it. Like Day Of The Tentacle, as I played it for Eurogamer I couldn’t help but take screenshots of everything. Below are but some of them. (You can have fun giving yourself a seizure by scrolling the first few images and watching them strobe.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. rocketman71 says:

Wow, those videos without half the lines are still painful to the eye, even in screenshots.

I wonder how we managed to avoid becoming blind with so many games then using them.

2. Sobric says:

Aha!!! This didn’t tweak until the screenshot of the gym, but I played the demo of this when I was very young!

I don’t think I did anything in the demo other than move from screen to screen and talk to people – I’ve no idea what the puzzles even were.

3. Mr_Day says:

I love Toonstruck, but attempts to play it recently fail when you have to get an item out of that minigame vending machine – it goes far too fast.

So, did you solve that problem or did you use a dirty journalism cheat to get past that bit?

• John Walker says:

I downloaded someone’s save games, and loaded one immediately after.

• Mr_Day says:

Tut and dirty journalism, sir! Allow me to straighten you out with an uplifting moral tale from my own childhood.

So the Command and Conquer demo has given my very young self a taste of real time fever, and I liked it. I manage to get the full game, but I am upset by my slow progress through the GDI campaign – the demo let me use orcas and mammoth tanks on the second mission, and I liked it that way.

I discover that the mission is some 10 scenarios in. But I have had a weird plan. I load up the demo and play the first mission, then save my game on the map I loved. I import that save into the main game, and imagine my surprise when it actually worked. I believe myself to be a master hacker, and hasten to tell my loving father of the incredibly clever computer cheat I have done (DOS, remember).

“Father, father!” says I.

“Yes, my favouritest of sons?” Says he.

“I have copied a save game file from a demo into the main game, allowing me to skip a whole bunch of levels! You may lavish praise upon me, if you wish.”

“Hmm.” hums he.

“Hmm?” I also hum, but changing in pitch.

“So you have paid all that money for a game just to try and not play some of it?”

My world shatters. I am not a master hacker. I am a dirty cheater. I vow never to do it again.

And I never have.

Though I have shot people in the back. But I didn’t cheat to do it!

4. Web Cole says:

I played through this with a friend of mine when we were both very young.

Ah, memories :)

5. Spacewalk says:

Oh scanlines, how I love thee.

I still regret not owning Toonstruck when I have had ample opportunity to do so three times.

6. Hodge says:

I wonder why this looks quite a lot better than how I’d remembered it. Usually it’s the other way around. ODD.

7. Alexander Norris says:

I get that temptation to build a machine out of old hardware whenever I try to reinstall System Shock 2 or any of the DarkEngine games. Could probably do it on the cheap, too, since my old man has boxes and boxes of hopelessly outdated components and fifteen million Win98 licenses.

8. amoe says:

i couldn’t play this game nowadays simply because condemn ben stein.

i sure loved the game back then though.

9. Pani says:

This was one of the first PC games I actually bought. Loved it lots and lots but then lent it to a friend and never saw it again. *sad face* GOG please?

10. LionsPhil says:

You know, there’s a pretty blatant spoiler in there.

Pani: So vote for it in GOG’s request queue. ;) See the Eurogamer retrospective article for a link.

(I’d love to think that their magical legal-wranglings could somehow dig the data for the second half of the game out of limbo. Hah.)

11. Lambchops says:

I’d forgotten just how creepy that clown was!

12. Switch625 says:

The cow transformation from a sweet lady-cow into a twisted masochist is hilarious.

WHIP MY CREAM!
    MINCE MY MEAT!

13. Guildenstern says:

Well it’s not as bad as when I learned that Neverhood was made by a right-wing nutjob. Ugh.

14. Guildenstern says:

That was a reply to Amoe.

15. AthlonBoy says:

I run Toonstruck within DOSBOX. For that segment, and the part where you need to boil the fish out the bowl, I decrease the emulated CPU speed to give me time to do stuff.

Comment on this story