Outcast, Master Of Orion Arrive On GoG

By John Walker on April 20th, 2010 at 11:39 am.

Voxels!

Good Old Games has a page where you can nominate classic games you’d love to see appear on their site. Then if others agree, they can vote to support this game. The theory being, the more votes, the more interest GoG realises there is in procuring the rights to a particular game. There’s some naive voting going on, with people asking for games that are actively on sale, like The Secret of Monkey Island or Planescape: Torment. However, appearing on the list with 4603 votes is Outcast. It’s available now.

Also arriving today are the first two Master Of Orion games, both having received almost a thousand votes each. These are exactly the sorts of games that GoG is for, stripping them of any DRM and making sure they work on modern machines. (Rather than, well, let’s say, Phantasmagoria.) It’s $6 for the pair.

The site is a little shaky just now – that’ll teach them to have a four day countdown. But when you access it, then you can find Outcast for $6 also. We’re downloading it now, because we want to see how it runs!

Here’s the opening of Outcast in case you’ve not seen it before:

, , , .

1. Ian says:

As I mentioned in James G’s thread on the forum, this game introduced me to the horrors of minimum specs and craps PCs when I bought it in the days of Yore.

So I should probably buy it and see what I was missing out on.

2. gulag says:

Apart from being old and French, is it any good? What sets Outcast apart, aside from the voxels?

• Mr Labbes says:

It has a unique world that makes sense – meaning the aliens you meet have their own culture, including language (body and speech), gods etc.
      It also has an open world in which you are free to roam and discover. And it has a great soundtrack.
      On newer systems, it was always a pain to play it, I hope gog fixed that. If so, that would be the best news of the week.

• Rich says:

Got to be one of the first non-linear open-world games. Ultimately the kind of tasks you need to complete to finish the game are always the same. The way you go about them is up to you.

Also, you can ride a large leathery lizard-bird. If it decides to actually walk, which for me it didn’t. I had to bunny-hop the damn thing all over the place.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Gulag: It was basically Zelda as re-imagined as a PC game, with everything that entails.

KG

• Bhazor says:

Outcast is perhaps the greatest sand box game ever made.
      Remember how the hype for the original Just Cause said this was an island where you could plow straight to the boss as soon as you land or you could slowly drum up the resistance and launch a rebellion? Well thats what Outcast is.

It’s like an elder Scrolls game where the world actually responds to you. But funny.

• Ninja Dodo says:

It has more believable AI than most of today’s open world games and its elegantly open gameplay/narrative structure puts modern titles to shame.

Also it’s Belgian.

• Ybfelix says:

I’ve played some Zeldas and they hardly count as open world. How open is Outcast?

• Ninja Dodo says:

It has a linear over-arching plot that doesn’t change, but its mission-structure and exploration is very open and you can do a bunch of optional side-quests.

• user@example.com says:

What is this “apart from the voxels” nonsense? :P Other people have answered, but the voxels really are important – they give you a wonderfully smooth world once you learn to kinda defocus your eyes just a tad. Comanche 4 is my favourite helo-fps because of the smooth, rolling landscapes it lets you fly around with WASD sniping tanks with your chin-cannon.

• gulag says:

Cheers for all the responses. I remember trying to get this to run on a Windows 95 machine back in the day, but never made it off the tutorial map, due to bug/machine/crash/burn/swamp/sink complications.

I think it’s high time I gave it another go. Ahh, the Belgish, what ever will they think of next?!

• Bhazor says:

Reply to user@example.com
      “Outcast is also wonderful because of that awesome bug where the installer would fail and uninstall the game if you had a directx version above 2, or something like that. You just don’t get quality bugs like that in the installers these days…”

You never hear of the game breaking Dragon Age patch glitch? It essentially updated the launcher so that it was no longer compatible with it’s own game. So when I tried to run the game it would bring up the usual launch options but clicking the Run Dragon Age button did nothing and there was no separate .exe to launch. Now that is a quality fuckin’ brain wrong from the Bioware team.

• Urthman says:

Outcast is great, but I never saw the comparison to Zelda.

To me the essence of Zelda is a dungeon full of clever puzzles, plus monsters and environmental obstacles that are difficult and annoying. Then half-way through, you find a new item that makes defeating the monsters and navigating the obstacles easier and much more fun.

That mechanic of making you want something, even though you don’t really know what it is, and then giving it to you and making it sweet. That’s the essence of Zelda.

• user@example.com says:

Bhazor, yeah, but Outcast installed the game and then automatically uninstalled itself as soon as it finished. It’s like one of those machines with a switch on the outside where you flick the switch and a door or hatch slides open, an arm comes out, turns itself off and retreats back inside.

• Fumarole says:

Nothing can top the bug in The Ruins of Myth Drannor, unless there’s one I don’t know about that actually melts your HDD.

• kavika says:

Doesn’t top it, but there was at least one, and I think a few, Atari published games that would somehow let you install to the root of the HD, rather than into a folder. It would spew files into c:\. Once you do this, if you uninstall, it would wipe out the contents of that disk. Lovely stuff.

Okay, I guess that’s more infuriatingly nasty, and less funny.

• Fumarole says:

That would be the one I was referring to.

• noom says:

Wow… I didn’t realise that was an actual bug. I thought the installer was fucking up on me because I bought it second hand and my CD weas scratched.

Still remains to be one of the most bizarre bugs I’ve ever encountered. IIRC I got round it by not moving the mouse during the installation or for about 5 minutes afterwards.

• Carra says:

It’s Belgian, you heretic!

3. Risingson says:

Above it all, asthetically it is incredible.

4. Risingson says:

Oh, and Master of Orion 1 is amazing. Full of atmosphere. The second one is worth some plays too.

• Divebomb says:

haha. underselling the second one a bit there. love it

oh and johnwalker gog is definitely for stuff like phantasmagoria aswell, no reason to hate. those are good fun, the second one even more so. really funny stuff, most of the time unintentional, but still

• WCG says:

The original Master of Orion was one of my all-time favorite games. I’m talking about maybe #3 in my personal list of all-time greats. I played it for years. For some reason, I was disappointed with MOO2 – I don’t really remember why. I uninstalled it and went back to the original.

I’ve still got both games, but I think I’ll buy them from GOG.com anyway. (Never even heard of Outcast, but it sounds interesting.)

5. -F. says:

Outcast, Outcast, omg omg Outcast!

Outcast is definitely good. It features great, diverse gameplay in a living world with living, believable creatures. Great AI, story and overall design. A must-buy for everyone.

RPS did feature quite a good write-up about the game, Eurogamer really liked it and so did Justadventure

And it’s Belgian, not French :-)

Lambchops says:

I like the reference to the tutorial’s stealth section in the RPS write up. Oh how I hated that horrible call of “I can see you, Ulukai!”

Bloody pointless considering I never once used a stealthy approach during the course of the entire game.

6. Colthor says:

MoO2 is my favourite 4X game ever. Also my sister’s, which was both brilliant and argumentative.

Outcast was a game that I always wanted to get into, but the puny stone-age computers of the time just couldn’t cope. Hopefully our magic future space-computers have finally caught up with it.

Hurrah for GoG!

7. Flint says:

It’s only one of the greatest games ever made. In my books the greatest.

The world of the game is still almost completely without comparison. There’s an immense amount of depth piled to it, from the mythology to the wildlife, from the alien language to the daily routines of the world’s inhabitants. None of if it feels irrelevant or superficial. It feels like a living, breathing, real world. And it’s full of so many things to do that it’s probably impossible to discover everything on the first run.

The story is excellent and genuinely moving, turning from a deceivingly simple base with deceivingly simple characters into a multi-layered quest full of revelations filled with memorable characters that grow as the story goes on. The soundtrack is fantastic, one of the greatest symphonic scores ever in games. The atmosphere is immaculate. The ending is stunning.

One of a kind epic adventure.

• Flint says:

This was in response to Gulag but the reply feature got the better of me.

Lambchops says:

What sets Outcast apart, eh?

Well the absolutely beautifully detailed open worlld. The incredible attention to detail in creating a truly alien world, with it’s own little tics of language, traditions and so on. In fact the attention to detail in explaining eveything (you can carry so much stuff because of your minaturisation backpack, you save the game through a Gaamsaac crystal which imprints your essence, your items are scattered around the people of the world because they are sold as sacred objects, you can’t kill major plot characters because their essence will fuck you up!). All this care and detail in the world and its characters makes you genuinely want to carry out your duty as opposed to just being a reluctant messiah to the populace. The side characters are pretty intruging rather than just being side quest dispensers. Then there’s riding Twon Ha’s (kind of like camels), the vast array of gadgets at your disposal and so on.

It crafts a world you care about and sets you along the path of a rather enjoyable adventure with a few wee twists in the tale. it’s undoubtably one of my all time favourite games and while it does have it’s flaws (there’s a few non existent side quests or unupgradable weapons, the combat isn’t the greatest you’ll ever see, and the buildings look pretty ugly compared to the outdoor environments) they can easily be overlooked.

If someone gets it please let me know if it runs without hiccups – I’d definitely make it the first game I’ve ever bought twice just for the ease of getting it running again.

• Eidolon says:

If I buy this, it’ll be the first game I’ve bought three times!

• Wulf says:

Wasn’t it Gamsav?

I remember noticing halfway through the game that it was ‘game save’, with the letter e removed in both instances, then I couldn’t unsee it and just called them game saves from that point on. >.>

Agreed with the love for Outcast, though.

Lambchops says:

V/c typo on my part. Damn these innacurate fingers of mine.

• Vague-rant says:

No hiccups… (Windows 7 64-bit). You’ll have to enable Win98 compatibility to get it working with the 640*480 patch though (and download that patch separately), but its totally worth it.

Also I think its Gaamsav, having literally played it 5 minutes ago. I’m feeling pedantic after taking almost 10 minutes trying to figure out why I couldn’t save the game from the same screen as I could load them from.

• Flint says:

All the weapons are upgradeable. Some just require quests rather than straight-up purchase.

Lambchops says:

Pretty sure the dart gun had no upgrade if memory serves me correct. From the manual it suggested that upgrades would leave enemies knocked out for longer periods of time but as far as I can recall there were no upgrades and it just killed enemies dead. I could of course have remembered this wrong – i’ll soon find out!

• Flint says:

You do remember wrong, the dart gun does not kill enemies – I use it a fair bit when I infiltrate the soldier camps in Shamazaar and they do wake up after a bit. Plus whenever I’m circling Talanzar for upgrade merchants, I always seem to pop into merchants who sell the upgrade for that particular weapon.

That said, the dart gun might as well kill enemies straight off, considering that even the strongest guys go down with one shot from anything else once they’re sleeping. Would be gamebreaking if the dart gun wasn’t so slow to use.

Lambchops says:

I see other people beat me to the punch and mentioned something I forgot – the soundtrack is bloody amazing.

• Bobsy says:

I’d take issue with ‘bloody amazing’. Back when Outcast was released the idea that a developer would fork out the cash for a proper soundtrack, professionally composed and recorded by a live orchestra was unheard of, and something of a novelty.

These days, happily, devs are coming round to the idea that sound actually matters, and proper soundtracks are more and more common. Outcast’s is good, but not all that great.

10. Bhazor says:

I’m a big enough nerd/fan to sit through the last five minutes of the countdown.
    As soon it reached zero the servers collapsed.

Its good to see two deserving games drum up so much interest. Just a shame its too late for the developers.

11. paneon says:

Eh, voting for Planescape Torment on the GOG wishlist is ‘naive’? I don’t know, I don’t know – I’ve seen most of the Valve games on that list…

• Bhazor says:

Yes and I’ve seen Zelda Ocarina of Time and Mass Effect listed. So many idiots clogging up the request line.

Really it should just be Anacranox repeated again again and again.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Not to mention that both the Planescape:Torment rerelease and the Monkey Island: Special Edition release occurred after GoG added that voting feature, and they’d both already gained top 10 positions by the time they were actually made available again.

• qrter says:

Surely it’s not that strange to want a downloadable version of Planescape: Torment..?

I mean, I get that people want to see completely unavailable games show up first, but in the meantime, why not add already available titles to your shop’s library?

12. Dr.Danger says:

I’ve got tears in my eyes. Outcast and MOO – speechless.
    I’ve played the first Master of Orion till death and still do from time to time, never to be bettered.

Stense says:

Outcast is a truly wonderful game. Plus has one of the best soundtracks to any game in my opinion.

JB says:

I’ll have to get Outcast. I’ve had it for years, but one of the discs went screwy and I never got round to replacing it. Can’t wait to get back into it!

15. jambamagamba says:

Smashing, can i have Omikron please now GOG?

• Risingson says:

It’s the natural next step. Omikron, and then Anachronox.

• lethial says:

Yeah, Anachronox please! I never got to play it when it came out, but instead watched the machinema made from it. I can’t wait to actually play the “lost in space” segment myself. :)

Back to the deal at hand though. GoG is just awesome! I hope they make tons of money (please please let this be true), why can’t more places (stardock is the other big store) sell DRM free games!?

Speaking of that, a little digression if I may. If these games of “yester-year” had online DRM requirement like that of the games published by Ubisoft right now, we would never be able to enjoy them again now… F’ing DRM…

• Isometric says:

Yes that would be most excellent. Omikron was the first game I thought of when I saw this post. Not sure if Anachronox works on up to date systems these days as I’ve not got around to playing it again yet but I bought it from ‘ere

• Adam Whitehead says:

Last time I installed and played ANACHRONOX I got about one-fifth of the way into the game (after the completion of events on Sunder) and then it kept crashing repeatedly after I got back to Sender Station, which really annoyed me. I don’t think that was spec related though, maybe a bad install. I keep meaning to go back and give it another go.

ANACHRONOX is easily one of the greatest PC RPGs ever made (if you can get over the old-school Quake 2-powered graphics, although the cartoony art style means they haven’t dated too badly) but beware that it was the first half of a much more ambitious and planned game. You get to the end and it just stops on the mother of all cliffhangers, although I think the game devs have put up some info on where the story was going to go next.

drewski says:

I rather enjoyed Anachronox, and it was well worth the £10 or so I paid to get it shipped half way around the world, but really? Greatest PC RPGs? I just can’t see that. It’s basically noir Final Fantasy 3D.

Although if you’r a noir and Final Fantasy fan, I guess I can understand.

16. Shadowcat says:

Atari have made a huge splash with their GOG entry, and I’m delighted to see that they are looking to maximise sales (and customer happiness) by not only going with the lower price point for all of these games, but combining MOO1+2 as a single purchase. I’m impressed — not all publishers have taken this approach.

You also want to take a peek at the Upcoming Games tab: “Master of Magic”, and freaking “Blood” (including the expansion packs). Also at $5.99 each.

Nice one Atari (and, of course, GOG!).

17. Vague-rant says:

Bought and downloading Outcast on the suggestion of everyone here. (and also reading a bit about the game)

Also I can see the demand for Planescape as I don’t believe its available from any other digital distribution site. In general I like to own games that awesome in a medium which wont suffer from a smashed DVD/CD… Same reason I want to see Grim Fandango available on GoG. Secret of monkey island I don’t understand so much.

18. KBKarma says:

It’s one of the few games I’ve regretted not finishing: I gave up when a bug rendered the game unplayable and I hadn’t saved in hours.

It’s fairly open-ended. That’s about all I can remember of it.

Kieron: I’d say more Metroid? As I recall, certain areas were locked off until you got certain stuff. I’m probably wrong, though.

19. robrob says:

oh god i love outcast this is glorious

20. feighnt says:

voting for Planescape is naive because it’s still for sale? there are other games on gog that are still for sale… for example, Another World.

and, if Planescape WERE to become available on gog, let me tell you, it’d be quite the coup for *canadians*, because you cant legally buy or sell this game in canada anymore. not kidding. apparently i guess it’s still licensed to sierra or something, and they lost their rights to sell in canada, or some oddity like that. so, plenty of classic games arent buyable out here… Planescape is one example, i belive the Homeworld games you cant buy anymore (such a shame i sold my copy of the first game years ago :\ ), both Icewind Dale games (i DO apparently still own the first, woo!)… Betrayal at Krondor wasnt available to canadians either, *until* they recently put it up on gog (or, at least, i assume – i havent tried to buy it, maybe whenever i get around to it i’ll get a message saying “tough nuts canadian” like when i tried to play these games on gametap – THAT was a nice waste of money right there :\ ).

21. Malcolm says:

While I agree that Outcast is a work of genius – the protagonist still has one of those overtly macho space marine names: Cutter Slade. Tsk.

22. Pissymist says:

Since so many of you are buying it as I type, is GoG’s version of Outcast working well on modern systems (Vista, Win7) or not?

I’m assuming there are going to be some growing pains so I’m sitting back and waiting for the weekend deal since the kinks will be hopefully worked out by then.

• jalf says:

You know that they explicitly promise that *all* their games support Vista/Win7, right? If they can’t ensure their games work on modern computers, they don’t put them on sale.

• LionsPhil says:

I do wonder how many ex-hacker/crackers GoG employs to achive that—the skillset to binary patch a fussy Win9X game to tolerate the NT world is not so different from the one to stub out CD checks.

Lambchops says:

It works (which is more than can be said for the boxed version!).

However having just tested it there I seem to be unable to get it to full screen goodness. I enable the “cenimascope option” to get it working in 16:9 and upped the resultion but sadly it still is just appearing as a box in the centre of the screen. Anyone know how to get it working in full screen glory?

oceanclub says:

“You know that they explicitly promise that *all* their games support Vista/Win7, right?”

So far, I haven’t seen any GOG.com games that say they are compatible with Windows 7, only Vista. I assume there’s no problem, but I just find it odd that they haven’t updated the descriptions on their web site yet for fear of scaring Windows 7 punters away.

P.

23. Sobric says:

MoO 2 is a fantastic game. Stil have it on disc and played it not so long a go. It was such a nice balance between research, economy, ship design and space combat. It inspired me to go looking for a modern equivalent, and I settled on Sins of a Solar Empire. Doesn’t hold a candle to MoO2, but still a good game none the less.

(Before someone mentions Free Orion: I just cannot get that to work).

24. Haywire says:

MoO2 was my favourite game of all time until i made the mistake of watching a youtube video showing how to get ridiculous amounts of population within a very short time frame. Sadly whenever I play it now I either feel like I’m holding myself back or exploiting the game. Don’t make the same mistake!

25. Lars Westergren says:

Also of note is that Master of Magic is on the way from GoG.

Loved it back in the day. Looking forward to Elemental – War of Magic, if it lives up to the hype, it is going to be incredible, and a suitable spiritual legacy to MoM.

26. Iztli says:

I looked this game up on youtube and this what I got :P

27. Clovis says:

Has anyone here played Outcast this for the first time recently? I know some classic games just end up not being as much fun as they were originally. Is this the sort of thing you can jump into for the first time now and really enjoy it?

I guess specifically, does it have some horrible GUI/control issues? Does it have weird difficulty spikes, or just punishing difficulty? Or is this the kind of game that would be huge now if they just updated all the graphics? If it is just the latter, I guess I might finally buy something from GoG.

I have three almost completely uninterrupted (ie, wife on vacation) days by myself, so this could be perfect timing!

Lambchops says:

Outcast, sadly, still would just be a cult hit today. It’s just one of those games, much like Beyond Good and Evil, that has critically acclaimed darling with lots of vocal fans but commercial failure written all over it. Even if the graphics were made to look really pretty. Or maybe i’m just a cynic!

But yeah, aside from the stupid stealth mission in the tutorial (which as I said earlier is probably the only time you’ll use stealth in the entire game) there’s no bad difficulty spikes; I was able to complete the game with out cheating when I was still remarkably shit at games and inclined to be a cheating little bastard. There’s some areas that you probably wont to be able to fight your way into at the start (despite the open nature of the game) but that’s by design; once you’ve done some of the missions in the more lightly defended areas you’ll have the weaponary and items needed to progress into more heavily defended areas without too much trouble.

As long as you have an appreciation for a well crafted world I reckon you could jump straight in to outcast no problem. That said I’m horribly biased as it’s one of my top 5 favourite games.

• Droniac says:

Lambchops is probably correct in stating in that it wouldn’t do well in today’s market even with improved graphics, but he might have done well in expanding upon that statement.

The combat is great, with excellent controls, a wide variety of upgradeable weapons and great AI even by today’s standards. You also get a lot of gadgets, like holograms that lead enemies away from your position… and it’s utterly open-ended, allowing you to visit practically everything in the game at your own leisure. And best of all: it’s worked out beautifully. They haven’t cut corners and it exudes quality everywhere you go.

However it wouldn’t fare much better in today’s gaming world than it did back in 1999. Why? It all comes down to the gameplay.

No, it’s not because of a cheesy little stealth sequence. Rather it’s because the developers chose to bring their beautifully crafted world to the fore and actively immerse the player in it. That means the game plays entirely as if you were a special agent stranded on an alien parallel world with the mission of finding your team and closing that damn black hole. So you’re not going to blast your way through endless waves of enemies, skip through quick bits of needless dialogue and watch bombastic cutscenes with zero substance – which is how most modern gamers like their action games (see Just Cause 2, Gears of War and to lesser extent Oblivion/Fallout 3).

Instead you’re presented with a dialogue-heavy game that presents an epic story with a memorable and believable cast and an alien world that you can lose yourself into. The resulting gameplay is slow paced and very heavy on dialogue, trading and exploration. As a result it would bomb in the modern gaming market, despite easily ranking in amongst my favourite games of all-time.

So, keep that in mind when deciding whether to give it a go. It’s an open-world action game, but it’s nothing like Just Cause 2 or even Oblivion or Fallout 3, which are decidedly low on dialogue/story and combat-heavy in comparison.

As for me, I just bought it and am downloading now. Finally, a working version of Outcast on modern PCs! I can’t wait :)

• Clovis says:

Thanks for the replies. That really sounds fantastic! I’m thinking that I’ll probably like the story/world better than the combat, so that’s no problem.

Lambchops says:

Yeah, Droniac managed to elaborate more on the ‘whys?’ of it still just ending up as a cult classic in today’s market that I did – suffice to say he’s spot on.

Also I slightly retract my comments on the stealth bit on the tutorial – I just played the opening section and entirely forgot that you can still get on with the game after failing it multiple times; the way this happens made me giggle and is yet another shining example of how the game designers thought about absolutely everything. Seriously this game’s attention to detail (and relevant, interesting detail at that) puts the likes of Dragon Age, with it’s often irrelevant (if at time interesting) lore, to shame.

28. Sulkdodds says:

Oh my god I remember playing the demo of Outcast off the PC Gamer demo disk when I was tiny and it was SO GOOD and now I can buy it and play it all!!!! !!

Excellent.

29. DavidK says:

Can someone point me to some good writing about Outcast?

30. pimorte says:

MOO2?

Goodbye world.

See you in an unknown period of time.

c-Row says:

Would love to play this again, but it’s one of the very few games of which the german translation was better than the original, as Cutter Slade is voiced by the same guy who voices Bruce Willis. Instant win!

• Choca says:

IIRC the game was made by french speaking belgians developers, so the original version would be the french one which also had the official french voice for Bruce Willis as Cutter Slade.

• Christian says:

The gog.com download includes the German (and a few other translations) but they are not officially enabled. However you just need to copy the files from the “VOICES” subfolder into the game root, overwrite the original files – and voilá, you can play it in Brasilian/Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish.

32. Mr_Day says:

If anyone does get Outcast, seems it includes the making of ovies on it – I recomend watching them, they are very funny.

“The best in cutting edge ai….oh, forget it.”

33. Wulf says:

There’s really nothing I can add to any of this except for an FYI regarding Anachronox.

Were you aware that you can buy a ridiculously cheap retail version of Anachronox, install it, and then play it without DRM? It’s true! There were ‘unofficial’ patches released that actually had some of the developers of the actual game working on it, they fixed up loads of things, but they also included a method for removing the DRM (or simply not using the CD).

If anyone’s interested, I can write up a guide. RPS could even put a guide into an article so everyone’s aware, but there’s no need to keep the disc in the drive to play Anachronox.

• Mr_Day says:

No! The curse!

Every time I install Anachronox, the computer i install it to dies! But I can’t resist!

• John says:

On Anachronox, there are actually instructions on how to avoid using the CD in the patch files:

“If you want to make the game run faster or you are having copy-protection incompatibility issues with your dvd-rom drive you can play without the cd by copying the contents of CD-2 to any directory on your hard drive (like c:\anoxcd) and adding to your game shortcut:
      +set cddir c:\anoxcd”

If only it were always that easy.

34. Lucas says:

Bought and downloading … and fingers crossed.

I had an awful time with all the technical problems in GOG’s Interstate 76 release, but managed to finish it anyway (mostly on easy just to get through it). EECH + community mods helped me recover from that.

I’m skeptical about the resolution issues (my CRT has issues below 800×600 and recent Nvidia drivers lack the doublescan option), but I’ve wanted to play Outcast ever since I missed the original release.

If worse comes to worse I’ll dig up an older machine to play this on.

I dearly miss the involving and smart play of games like this. Mass Effect 2 was terribly boring.

35. yobock says:

Could you write an update on how it’s running? I’m still holding out for someone to give the all clear – thx.

36. Brulleks says:

@Rich – you need to get yourself a program called CPUGrab. It basically slows down your processor, allowing you to run all kinds of things that don’t like newer PCs.

It fixes the problem with the Twon Ha not running. Worked for me anyway.

37. bill says:

Played outcast for the first time a year or two back. It definitely seemed like a game ahead of it’s time.

Although it has a horribly low resolution, with full AA it still looks rather beautiful, and plays a bit like something I could imagine being released now… in many ways it reminded me of Morrowind, but much much earlier.

Stealth mission was annoying.. (another way it was ahead of it’s time ;-) ) and I’d love GOG (or anyone) forever if they figured out a reliable way to up the resolution. But great game.

And who cares about Master of Orion, Master of MAGIC is coming soon!!!

38. cjlr says:

Oh, Outcast.

That was one of those late 90s games that I remember walking past in the shops dozens of times. If only I could reach back in time and slap my 9 year old self, and then give myself a couple hundred bucks and a shopping list.

• cjlr says:

‘Course the Canadian dollar’s over par this morning, so now’s the next most perfect time to buy – my Mountie Fun Bucks are being converted at $1.01 to the dollar!

39. caleb says:

Oh yeah! They are selling the import version of Planescape Torment for $14.99 on ebay!

I was going to complain that the re-release of this game never came to the US so I looked on amazon and ebay to make sure.

So yes. I guess the people who were voting for PST to be released on GOG were being foolish.

40. LintMan says:

Planescape isn’t naive to vote for – I’d love to see it on GOG. At least on the US Amazon site, you can only buy it from 3rd party vendors, and from what I saw in the comments, there’s some isue about what version you’re buying – IIRC, there is a stripped down/reduced content single-CD version that some vendors are selling. I’d much rather buy the whole thing on GOG than worry about that sort of hassle.

oceanclub says:

After all the Outcast love, I went over and bought it, even though I have a ridiculous to-play pile at the moment (including the fact I’m still only on the second chapter of the last GOG game I bought, Sanitarium).

P.

Chaz says:

Yeah I’m kind of in the same boat, various games to get through on my PC and XBox. Bought UFO: Aftermath from GOG the other day and have spent hours on it already. Now I’m getting all twitchy at the thought of maybe buying this.

I do have UFO: Enemy Unknown, which I bought on Steam a while back when they had the X-Com series on sale, but I find UFO: Aftermath more my cup of tea. It doesn’t have as much micro management and it’s no where near as ball busting as the orginal games.

42. Mr_Day says:

“It will be our little secret, Ulukai.”

Oh good. I still suck at the sneaking test. At least they let you skip it.

43. Vinraith says:

I missed Outcast entirely the first time around (IIRC I was obsessively playing BG or BG2 at the time), so I picked it up on the strength of RPS’s recommendation. Also grabbed the MOO games, since at the time I was so engrossed in Ascendancy (which needs to be on GOG, btw) I barely gave them a second look. Fortunately, good strategy games are timeless.

Schaulustiger says:

With Frozen Synapse Beta released yesterday and MoO2 + Outcast today, it’s time someone invents the 48-hour day so that I can play these gems for an appropriate amount of time *sigh*

45. Larington says:

So, once I’ve finished this degree, I need to spend some time with several GOGames, also, Mass Effect 2.

46. mcnostril says:

It still amuses to no end that Outcast is the only game so far that got talking with NPCs right.

I really can’t recall any games (especially RPGs – of all genres, they should have gotten this right a long time ago) where it feels quite as believable to talk to an NPC. There’s something that just feels totally natural about the way they react to you, going about their business in the background, and barely acknowledging your presence at times. It’s weird, I can’t quite put my finger on it, beside the fact that it’s just better than everything else. Hah.

It’s also funny how alive the cities feel, especially when you compare them to something like oblivion and its touted radiant AI. Okriana really feels like a bustling city. Hell, even that depressing fishing village with the sharks (god I hated those sharks) felt like it was a busy place. Not many games short of the more recent open world stuff like gta iv quite nail that feeling.

47. Mman says:

Bought; after stopping a bit in and not going back for a while I found that Outcast is pretty much the only game I’ve seen that I can’t get working on Window 7 in any way, shape or form. Hopefully GOG’s work on compatibility fixes that.

48. Wulf says:

“I have seen you, Ulukai! Come, talk to me.”

D:

I forgot how much I hated that part.

Hey, Jan. Check this out! THIS IS WHAT US EARTHLINGS CALL A POWER-WEDGIE!! It’s a great honour, so no complaining, now.

49. Ush says:

I played the demo of this so much that the premise of the game became irrelevant and I ended up spending hours seeing how far I could get through the trees at the edge of the village (quite far if I remember correctly, even managed to climb down to the base of the cliff at one point). I’m afraid that if I buy this, I’ll be unable to stop myself from immediately making a beeline into the tree line again instead of actually playing the thing…

50. geldonyetich says:

I wager that modern computer architectures trying to run an ancient game has not done much to improve Outcast’s tendency towards glitchiness.