Trine: “Path to New Dawn” And Cheapness

By Jim Rossignol on April 20th, 2010 at 3:04 pm.

The 1.07 patch for clever co-op platformer Trine includes a new free level called Path to New Dawn, which is a reward for veterans, as Frozenbyte explain: “Path to New Dawn is a unique level with new visuals and challenging gameplay, especially on Very Hard difficulty setting. It also features 10 special items for the player to collect. The level is unlocked and available in the Select level menu once the game has been completed.” The patch is automagically updating on Steam now, and should be available for the rest of the PC gaming crowd later this week. To celebrate, the Steam price has dropped to just $5/£4.25. It’s a neat little game, even single-player, and definitely worth it for that price, even if the last level is rubbish. I WIT’d it here. I’ve posted some footage below to remind you how cute it is.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ian says:

£4.25 eh? Might have to put off “not buying games I won’t play right away” plan and get this now.

2. Lambchops says:

Really need to get round to playing this again. Got it in the Christmas mega-sale and have only played the first few levels, which were reasonably enjoyable.

3. poop says:

whats with people on the internet saying automagically its bugging the shit outta me

4. LewieP says:

Word on the street is that the new level teases a sequel too.

5. fulis says:

Who would want this game to be hard?

6. Kelron says:

Rising lava >:(

7. Richard Clayton says:

£4 is more like it. Will purchase this later. How good is the co-op, by the way?

• Jim Rossignol says:

Two-player is great. Not played with three. It totally transforms the game from single-player, which you can bodge a lot of the way through.

• cjlr says:

Yeah, you can absolutely cheese your way past nearly everything in single player.

The co-op, on the other hand, is ace. Even three person. Especially three person. It’s absolutely my favourite since Lost Vikings 2.

• Richard Clayton says:

Thanks Jim, that’s good to know. I played the single player demo at the time and enjoyed it but did not get around to the MP. My children like the single screen co-op games (Lego Star Wars etc) and so I’ll enjoy playing this one with them.

• disperse says:

@Richard

I’ve owned Trine for a long while and the reason I haven’t completed (or even gotten that far in) the game is the fact that 3-player coop is insane (in a good way). I managed to get a couple friends over to play with the two wireless gamepads I have and we had a blast. I resisted playing on without them because I didn’t want to ruin the experience. Of course, I haven’t managed to get them back since.

FrozenByte: Please include Internet multiplayer with any sequel.

• Lilliput King says:

Trine’s 3 player co-op is some of the most fun I’ve had with games, can’t recommend it enough.

• Richard Clayton says:

Many thanks chaps. Plenty of highly enthusiastic recommendations there so I purchased it last night.

• AndrewC says:

*sigh* I continue to wish I had PC playing friends. I mean, PC playing friends with a PC capable of playing games. Or who play something other than sodding League of Legends. Or who aren’t American and think Fallout 3 is better than STALKER because STALKER is all boring and stupid. Or who don’t think Half Life 2 is an open world game.

Oh god now i’m crying I bet a co-op game of a charming fantasy themed platformer would cheer me up maybe I should call up my PC playing frie

*sigh*

8. Sarlix says:

Definitely worth it at that price. I picked it up in the steam holiday sale last year for a few groats and played it non stop until completion, which I don’t often do. I just wish they would make a full blown rpg using the same fight mechanics and engine etc.

9. toni says:

many ppl complained when they removed the diff. in the first patch. but I think those were the hc crowd. so those get their own insane level now. It’s a good idea imo.

10. Vague-rant says:

Hmmm, bought it when it was new and shiny for 7.50 pfund I think. Watching the video, it really does remind me how cool the game was. Most scenarios could be done with every character as long as you thought it through carefully. Unfortunately there wasn’t much reward for doing something other than the obvious (though apparently the “obvious” varied from person to person, I tended to use the grappling hook 90% of the time, while my friend used the mage to stack a load of boxes.).

11. Serenegoose says:

I’ve wanted this game for a little while but I’ve been too cheap to get it until now. install away!

12. Flappybat says:

This and Torchlight are two games that cry out for online co-op. The basts.

13. Wulf says:

Trine is visually lovely, and I do need to finally get around to it. I just lost interest in it due to everyone saying it pretty much goes down hill fast after the area present in the demo, and that seemed to be a fairly wide general consensus from what I remember (which may be inaccurate). What I need to do now is, what with it being so cheap and all, go and find out for myself whether that’s actually the case.

I certainly wouldn’t mind a sequel though, and if they could work online multiplayer into it then I’d absolutely love them for it.

• James G says:

I wouldn’t say it went down hill until the very final level, which is an irksome monstrosity of meat circus proportions. (Incidently, what happened to Meat Circus? I haven’t seen him(?) contributing in comments threads for a while.)

• Wulf says:

I’m actually very glad to hear that, because Trine is the sort of charming, beautiful, innocent sort of thing I could easily come to love, and have always wanted to. I’ll be dipping into it a bit later, might even complete it in one sitting, but for now I’m pottering about in Outcast.

Thanks for that though, JG, it’s good to know!

14. disperse says:

I’ve played quite a bit of Trine and the trailer introduces a number of techniques I have never tried. Who knew you could create a ramp with a box and platform and make the spiky balls roll right over you?

15. Nero says:

I bought it they day it was out and finished everything there was to finish in the game so naturally I gave the new level a whirl and my jumping was a bit rusty but managed to get all secrets. Btw, this new level is very similar to the final level before this. You go up chased by lava.. And the end does hint at something..

16. Schaulustiger says:

Trine is one of the very few games that I can get my girlfriend to play with me. It’s an absolute blast in co-op, we’re now on our 3rd playthrough and still loving every second of it.

Plus, I still don’t understand why the last level is hated so much. I finished it quite easily on my first try, even before the difficulty patch.

• Link says:

I think it’s because the last level is quite a departure from the pacing of the rest of the game prior. The platforming in the previous levels was all quite forgiving, and afforded you multiple tries to get past tricky bits with almost no penalty. The last level throws a spanner in the works by introducing a timed element.

If I’m not mistaken, one of the recent patches made the last level a bit trickier (at least in Very Hard mode) by introducing random skeletons in addition to the magically-forming blocks and rising lava.

17. Jimbo says:

I wouldn’t usually presume to tell people their opinion is wrong, but in Trine’s case I will make an exception. Trine is rubbish. Everything about the gameplay is clearly designed for co-op, yet they expect you to huddle around a single PC to play it. What kind of design decision is that to make in this century?

Maybe it works really well in co-op – not that anybody is ever likely to find out given the limitations- but in single player the ‘puzzles’ aren’t even puzzles, they’re just ‘get-past-this-however-you-feel-like-it-zzles’. And not in a fun, sandboxy kind of way, but in a ‘I guess I’ll just draw a floating platform and then grapple on to it again’ kind of way.

Also, I think we’ve long since reached the point where ‘co-op’ implies online functionality, and ‘local-only co-op’ should be referred to as such.

• Lilliput King says:

It’s definitely a shame the co-op is only local, but it wasn’t really that much of an imposition (for me at least) to get 3 player local co-op going. Certainly doesn’t render everything the game does in that 3 player co-op “rubbish.”

• Jimbo says:

I already conceded that, but I just don’t think it matters. If ~99% of the audience are never going to bother with it, then I don’t think it has a meaningful impact on the overall quality of the game either way.

Every element of a game doesn’t need to be rubbish in order for the whole thing to be rubbish. Due to the limitations, the only realistic way to play that game for the overwhelming majority of PC gamers was single-player – and that was rubbish. Therefore, Trine (PC) is rubbish.

• mcnostril says:

I somewhat have to agree.
      I still enjoyed the singleplayer, but the game really shines in co-op, and most people never get to do it.
      I’ve only managed to play 3 players a couple of times, and it’s just not very practical for a pc game. It requires more peripherals than most pc gamers have, and unlike consoles, pcs tend to be set up in a way that is comfortable to the user, not the 2 people next to him. Add to that the monitor vs tv thing (with a tv generally being bigger/more accessible) and local co-op is possible, but not practical in a lot of cases.
      Also my apartment is tiny. Three people is pushing the limit. It was fun, but we were on the verge of ripping the fabric of time and space at any moment.

It really is a shame, it’s practically a different game in co-op. A much better game too.
      It’s interesting too, because they took the same approach with shadowgrounds, and there’s another game that would be much much better with online co-op. It just seems like they’re trying to keep their playerbase small (can’t be easy to get online co-op working, but still, it’s a sizeable chunk of the audience that’s missing out on core gameplay)…

• rebb says:

Wait, it’s local only ?
      I’d almost want my money back now – almost.

• Rookje says:

I loved the solo player, I think co-op is too easy mode.

18. Vinraith says:

Trine is so lovely, both visually and gameplay-wise, that for a few brief moments it made me like 2d platformers again. Then the last level came along and reminded me why I’d stopped playing them in the first place.

19. Dominic White says:

The last level of Trine was the only difficult part of the whole game. Up til then, it was like a super-casual version of The Lost Vikings.

Hell, half the levels in TLV were harder than anything the last level of Trine had.

• Vinraith says:

@Dominic

If you were looking for disagreement, you aren’t going to find any. Normally I’m a big fan of difficulty, but 2d platformers are a personal exception to that rule. It’s why I don’t buy them or play them anymore, for the most part. For what it’s worth I would agree (in principle) with “Trine should have been harder,” it’s just that I’d have to append “and I should never have bought it.”

20. Quirk says:

Local co-op is a blast, and offers a dynamic online co-op lacks.

FrozenByte, more than any other PC developer, seems to appreciate this. Not only do they allow co-op, but they allow multiple keyboards and mice by way of controls. This is a little bit of a huddle for 2 and impractical for 3, but the mixture of full keyboard and mouse control and having a friend at your shoulder you can shout at and laugh with is incredibly appealing.

Trine is fantastic, and at this price demands a punt if you haven’t tried it already.

21. Hodge says:

I loved it at first but it suffered from a severe lack of ideas as the game progressed. It basically plays all its cards on the first few levels and after that it’s just the same schtick over different backgrounds… which for me became grating really quickly.

And yes, that final level was absolute, total rubbish. Meaning I’ll probably never summon the gumption to actually finish it and unlock this extra stuff. Grumble.

22. Carra says:

Bought and played this during the christmas deal. Very fun game while it lasts.

For $5? Go buy!

23. Gritz says:

Trine is a game that cries out for Castlevania/Metroid (Metroidvania, if you will) style seamlessness and exploration.

Comment on this story