Dead Rising 2 Gets All Serious About Stuff

By John Walker on April 21st, 2010 at 12:04 am.

Boxing gloves! Hooray!

Captivate (Capcom’s festival of gaming gubbins, which I stake the claim for having named – I can prove it with IM records) has revealed a new trailer for Dead Rising 2, which lest you need reminding is confirmed for PC. Unlike the first one. Capcom, we love you best when you release games on PC too. You can watch it with any of your remaining eyes below.

I’m not sure if “A renegade man with a tragic past” is meant to be so leaden. The trailer does seem to be taking itself awfully seriously for a game that’s about hitting thousands of zombies with a lampshade, while wearing a Santa hat.

In case you’re upset by the lack of double-ended chainsaws in that video, here’s the one from February that I think slightly better captures what this is all about:

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. LewieP says:

Marvel VS Capcom is MT Framework too. Likely on PC I reckon.

• Miker says:

DON’T GET MY HOPES UP.

But seriously, though I would love nothing more than MAHVEL BAYBEE on my PC, I don’t think it’s going to happen, especially since Super Street Fighter IV hasn’t even been announced for PC, and that’s a rejigging of a game that’s already on PC. Rumors are that it’s in development, though, but I doubt it’ll reach the light of day.

2. Drexer says:

GENERIC ACTION FLICK #52 – Coming soon…

I mean, how can they resume a fun that is based around bashing undead heads with various instruments, into corny dialog and hot secretary rear shots?

3. Flappybat says:

It was confirmed you can play the entire game in online co-op as well.

4. El Stevo says:

I love that right in the middle of this deadly serious trailer there’s a little clip of Chuck riding a pink child’s bicycle. I laughed.

5. Dominic White says:

The original Dead Rising alternated between deadly serious conspiracy theory plot and surreal slapstick humor as well. It felt perfectly in keeping with Romero-style zombie movie style.

The thing is, even when the plot is at its most dramatic and cliche, you can still have your burly, hairy character dressed up in a nice frock, wearing a horse-head mask from a childs costume set.

• SteveHatesYou says:

Yes. A lot of the humor in Dead Rising 2 comes from the fact that it takes itself so seriously, while presenting such ridiculous scenarios. The developers are well aware of this.

6. LionsPhil says:

I particularly like that they’ve got the animation right for his legs doing little rapid circles to pedal it.

7. BeamSplashX says:

I must say that the first Dead Rising caught me off guard with its serious moments. Even the best ending was decidedly macabre. I wouldn’t mind them compromising with the silliness-played-straight deal they’ve got here.

8. TheApologist says:

This is much funnier than C&C’s forced hamminess.

Will very likely be getting this

• Brumisator says:

Hear hear!

I almost bought an X360 just for dead rising 1 (booo me), now I’m all giddy for the sequel, but still haven’t played the original.

9. ShineDog says:

I really hope they have kept the obnoxious save system and time sensitive missions.

Seriously.

Locked to a single save slot, easy to end up in no win situations with an evil ticking clock? That really ramped up the tension,

• Eight Rooks says:

Haha, yes, I know! I mean there was perhaps one save point where it was at all difficult to get to the next mission on time, and it was practically announced in the pre-release hype (let alone reviews) the entire game was specifically built around replaying the story over and over to the point where it was possible to blitz through earlier stages in minutes once you knew what you were doing, not to mention the fact it was supposed to be, you know, fun doing that, but hey! Don’t let that stop your silly knee-jerk internet rage that the game didn’t cater to your every whim.

Or perhaps your use of the word ‘obnoxious’ was some kind of bizarre sarcasm, in which case okay then.

• Jesse says:

No, seriously. Challenge is one thing, not being able to save when you want is another. Adults need to be able to save at any time. We have things to do.

I know players of the first Dead Rising are split about the saving issue. Let’s have two game modes, one with bathroom saves and one without. Okay? The masochists can have their little “the game makes me its bitch and I love it, he hurts me but he really loves me” fun time, and the rest of us can actually have the option to buy and play this game.

10. Marcin says:

Sweet. Awkward, stilted and horribly embarassing dialogue just like the first game.

I wonder if Chuck has covered wars somewhere in his tragic past?

11. DK says:

Renegade Man with a Tragic Past is a great name for an indie band.

Comment on this story