Mod News: Editron

By Lewis Denby on April 21st, 2010 at 10:08 am.

An uncommonly slow week in mod news this week. Which has been fine, especially over the last few days, during which time I’ve been pretty obsessively playing the Frozen Synapse beta and being teased by Kieron for being rubbish at it. Frozen Synapse has a level editor, which is how I justify talking about it (and the equally awesome Sleep Is Death, which is all about editing stuff) in a column about mods. Frozen Synapse! And, subsequently, some mod news:

- I hear this is still a little shaky in the quality department, but it’s such an odd little idea I’ll link to it anyway: Mount & Blade now has its very own Modern Warfare mod. You can grab it here, and here’s a forum thread [http://mnbmodernwarfare.forumotions.com/calradia-modern-warfare-f1/calradia-modern-warfare-t1.htm] on which you can read all about it.

- And, for its standalone expansion Warband, Battlesize Changer, which allows you to change the size of battles.

- Good old Dystopia is looking swankier than ever with these new visual effects.

- HL2 war mod Empires has a big new version out. Upgraded visual effects, improved gameplay and new features, apparently. Looks good.

- Visage continues to know exactly how to establish a mood.

- Remember Google-Translatomod Butterfly, for Crysis? This is what its interface is going to look like. My goodness. It’s looking smart indeed.

- More Crysis: Mandate of Heaven, a rather lovely looking singleplayer mod, has been released.

More at UserCreated, as and when any mod developers release something interersting. And if I’ve missed something really obvious, do point out the error of my ways – I’ll probably throw it at next week’s piece.

1. Dain says:

Oh terrific. You ignore all the decent M&B mods to report on the half baked one with stolen models. Not just from other modders, but ripped from counterstrike and suchlike.

Yay.

2. jon_hill987 says:

Another week goes by and still no more news on Black Mesa. I know they have lives and that it is one of the most ambitious mods ever but they seemed so close last time they released something….

• Sarlix says:

I was just thinking the same thing, they seem to be operating on ‘Valve time’. You have to give them credit for authenticity. Oh well maybe next week eh Olo :)

• Lewis says:

Since people keep asking, I’ve put in an email to chase for swanky news.

• Sarlix says:

Yay! thanks Lewistron :)

3. Rich says:

They’ve made Mount & Blade look like the original Operation Flashpoint.

Good job HL2 has proper gamma and brightness controls. Visage may be trying to set a mood, but I find it a pretty key point in any game, to be able to determine what’s wall, floor, ceiling, or a hairy great beast trying to chew my face off, without having to but blackout curtains on every window and turn all the lights off. Yeah I’m looking at you Doom 3. You’re not big or clever.

4. Ravenger says:

There’s also a new Tron 2.0 Killer-App mod which adds wide-screen support and a lot of other new stuff.

Tron 2.0 is one of my all-time favourite games, so I’m definitely giving this one a go.

• Dominic White says:

I just had a look there, and it’s actually better than that.

Killer App (which is an improvements-and-tweaks mod, largely focused on multiplayer) has merged with the User Error mod (a singleplayer fan-made expansion), and brought along a bunch of new features and graphical enhancements.

In short, if you own Tron 2.0, there is no reason NOT to install this mod.
      If you don’t own Tron 2.0, for chrissakes buy it now and then install this mod.

• DMJ says:

@Ravenger: Tron 2.0? I just reinstalled Tron 2.0! That game is aging far more gracefully than its “realistic” contemporaries. It will always look exactly like Tron.

• redrain85 says:

KA Mod team member here.

Sorry, but no that’s not correct. A lot of people are getting confused on that. User Error has been, and will remain separate. The idea was to announce that UE was getting an update to work properly in widescreen, if you install the Killer App Mod first. Apologies for the confusion.

The widescreen version of UE (also called UE2) is not ready yet. But it will be released shortly.

• Dominic White says:

Ah, oops. My bad. Still, the truth isn’t far off – User Error 2 is being made Killer App compatible (reccomended, even), so even if it’s not a merge, it’s a joint venture.

Bring on that updated expansion, says I.

5. Sarlix says:

Dystopia sure is looking swish these days, it’s been years since I last played it. Time for a re-download me thinks.. Still no black mesa news I see :(

6. Denton says:

@Jon

There’s plenty of stuff that a lot of people probably haven’t seen on their wiki. Here’s the link to the gallery of new files: http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/index.php/Special:NewFiles

7. And Triage says:

damn you…damn you rps.

i cannot AFFORD this shit. i just pre-ordered FS with the paltry amount of funds i have left to my name. ugh!

on a more serious note: thanks for giving attention to quality indie projects like that. before i was an rps-er type dude, i never would’ve known about such things.

see you on the FS servers…i’m lookin at you, lew…ser. OH WHAT.

8. Dreamhacker says:

3 out of 7 mods were for HL2. The ratio is looking better now.

9. Robomutt says:

Calradia modern warfare link’s not clicky-able…

Cheers for news though :)

10. Wulf says:

Butterfly is looking smashing, and something like that might actually convince me to pick up Crysis… maybe. >.> It’s very tempting.

11. Mac says:

Still ignoring Torch Leech I see …

12. Dain says:

Well since pretty much all released M&B mods are stored in the same place it really isn’t very hard to find them.

Hunt mod is new and very good. 1866 is continually excelent. The Star Wars mod is quite well done and is a laugh. If you want M&B gunplay I reccomend those.

There will likely be mods of worse quality there too, but they do beat the Modern Warfare mod in that they’re not full of stolen and uncredited material, aren’t cancelled, aren’t half-baked and aren’t created by a guy who was banned from the original game community for pirating M&B.

Wulf: Sorry, didn’t realise I was obliged to check and respond to these comments :P