Fallout Online Lawsuits Ended?

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2010 at 6:09 pm.

Duck And Cover reports that Bethesda have dropped their lawsuit against Interplay. (Interplay were suing Bethesda back for something or other, so we can assume that is over too.) Anyway, the long and the short is that Interplay are now able to press ahead with their Fallout MMO, assuming this is true… There’s still a long way to go before “Project V13″ (pictured) becomes a playable Fallout Online, of course, but it’s looking hopeful.

Hard to say whether this is actually good news, of course, not least when Fallen Earth is making already making so much headway on its own ruined future-earth MMO. We’ve got an interview coming up with them, come to think of it. And some other interesting apocalyptic fact-treats in the pipeline. Stay tuned, I’ll go fill my wheelbarrow up with words, straight from the coalface of news.

, , , , .

1. dethgar says:

I call for an RPS Fallen Earth guild/clan/whatever. I bought the game at launch but could never find a group of people to play with, on top of the bugs, so I didn’t bother playing any more.

• DrGonzo says:

Is Fallen Earth getting better? I tried the beta and it seemed full of potential, but not that good. I think they sent me a 10 day free trial so I may try it again if someone recommends it.

• Robert says:

I think I will give Fallen Earth a go when there is a RPS write up, we should be able to rally some RPS’ers and get going ingame for the trial.

• dethgar says:

I’m not sure, I haven’t played it since the 10 day free return event. If the bugs are ironed out and the balancing is coming along I’d totally expect it to be a good MMO. FE is the last great hope for an MMO experience like the original SWG. That and I’m so sick of mindless gear grinds, like WoW. I just can’t get into a game that is determined by time rather than skill. There is a large bit of grind in FE, I know, but from what I know a large amount of it is character building. Except if you’re a crafter, then you get to grind/gather forever and ever.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I played it for a while… last month? Did a Eurogamer review. It’s looking good, but I think PvP expansion coming up in the summer could be best time for us to orchestrate RPS assault on it.

• CMaster says:

@Jim
      Thing is though, unless the game has changed drastically in pace since beta, if you wanted to take part as a clan in PvP in say July, starting now to get the leveling, materials gatehring and tradeskilling necessary going would be a good idea.

2. DJ Phantoon says:

Interesting because I keep forgetting Interplay exists as a company.

Thought for sure they died a long time ago.

• Choca says:

Interplay has been redefining corporate agony for quite some time indeed.

3. Lobotomist says:

As I hear Masthead Studios, the team doing another postapoc MMO “Earthrise” is contracted by Interplay to do Fallout MMO…

Make what you want out of it.

I used to be huge MMO follower. But the genre is heading towards self destruction so fast nobody would ever believe.

• Choca says:

Actually I think self-destruction is heading towards MMOs extremely fast, because MMOs are going nowhere these days.

• Lobotomist says:

Thats what i am saying. MMOs as we knew them – being virtual worlds are thing of the past. Even though they existed when technology for them was thing of the future. Now days that we have the technology to make them – nobody wants to do it. Instead MMOs are heading towards online theme parks.

If you need the comparison. Its the same thing that happened to Rap music. That went from hard core street expression to most exploited pop spectacle of no value whatsoever

• Choca says:

@Lobotomist : “Thats what i am saying. MMOs as we knew them – being virtual worlds are thing of the past.”

Exactly. And that makes me sad.

• anomie says:

@Lobotomist
      Not a good analogy. the “rap music” you’re referring to is simply what gets played on the radio/tv. it’s more “hip pop” than anything. good rap still exists, is still created today, and forever will exist. perhaps if you are interested, look up Nujabes, Deltron 3030, or Dälek, just to name a few.

• Lobotomist says:

Like every analogy – its not a good one. But just as the bands you mention are good but obscure , while major of production is greed driven hyper production of crap. So is today MMO industry.
      There are some good ideas , some indy companies. But mainstream is so far from what was originally thought MMO ( or should i say virtual worlds ) that its basically not even the same genre anymore.

• GetOutOfHereStalker says:

rap is an apt analogy because just like mmo’s its something people on the internet hate for no real reason.

• Thants says:

Completely off topic: Deltron 3030 is great. I just saw Del live last week and he did the song Virus from it.

4. Frankle says:

The only reason they would have dropped the lawsuit is if they knew they wouldn’t win. From what I have read in the past they were just being complete A holes. Giving Interplay stupid time restrictions for the game to be finished and many more. I just wish Bethesda would not spend the money they used to buy the best lawyers to spin bull and instead make games that were actually finished and didn’t need a thousand mods to be worth playing after an hour.

• blah says:

For a moment then I thought you meant “I just wish Bethesda would not spend the money they used to buy the best (?) PR to spin bull…”. But once again Beth’s doing it again – just remember what happens in Vegas, stays…

5. Vinraith says:

Good. MMO’s don’t matter to me, and I’d rather Bethesda spent their time on Fallout 4 and TES 5 than making and managing one. The “new Interplay” is useless anyway, so let them pursue a useless project.

• damien says:

i’m glad all that’s settled, then.

(blanket pronouncements sound so much better on the internet than they do in person. i wonder why?)

• Vinraith says:

@damien
      Happy to help. :) I think the biggest difference between internet conversation and real-world conversation is that in the former, people tend to take anything you say in the worst way possible (say, as a blanket pronouncement) and in real life people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and take that same statement as what it is: one opinion.

• Alexander Norris says:

Personally, I’d rather Bethesda didn’t spend their time on Fallout 4 or TES5 because Fallout 3 and Oblivion were both thoroughly mediocre and Bethesda has one of the worst business ethics I’ve seen in game devs/publishers.

But hey, you like Bethesda games, I like multiplayer games. To each his eccentricities, Vinraith. ;)

• Vinraith says:

@Alexander Norris

I agree that Oblivion was subpar (though something can be made of it with modding) but I’m rather hoping TES V would follow in the footsteps of the brilliant Morrowind instead. As to Fallout 3, I can’t agree, but as you said to each his own. I thought it was quite good vanilla, and with Wanderer’s Edition and some other enhancements it becomes one of the best RPG’s I’ve ever played.

• Baboonanza says:

Whilst there are big issues with all of Bethesda’s games, to call them mediocre is a little unfair. Very few devs even try what they do and all other examples you can point to have their own deep flaws. Having said that Oblivion was a failure for me, there are some very well known problems (levelling, monster scaling) but the root of the problem was the setting being dull as dishwater.

OTOH, mechanistically Oblivion fixed many of the broken things from Morrowind and Fallout 3 fixed many of the broken things from Oblivion. So I have hope for TES5 & Fallout 4 because they have a history of learning from their mistakes, and if Bethesda ever get it just right they could make the best RPG ever. And fix the crappy animation this time please!

6. Serenegoose says:

“Stay tuned, I’ll go fill my wheelbarrow up with words, straight from the coalface of news.”

Has someone been watching “The Day today” perchance?

7. RakeShark says:

As much of a Fallout fan I am, and don’t mind the current FPS iterations coming from BethSoft/Obsidian as much as more hardline fans do, I can’t say I’m terribly hot on the idea of a Fallout MMO. It’s not exactly a property that lends itself to mainstream MMO tendencies with the intent of being successful and making “stupid amounts of money”. Certainly these days Fallout can and will attract a larger audience (mainly thanks to the efforts of BethSoft) but then again a franchise alone does not make the game.

This might be my own preference, but the idea of a meandering openly social Fallout setting is a perversion of the Fallout concept. That is, Fallout is in my mind meant to be a ruthless, unforgiving, and uncompromising place where everyone is either trying to screw you over on a deal, or murderize your face in a myriad of lead, buckshot, and explosives. Everything and anything in Fallout is more or less hostile to you unless you have something they want. To be honest, it’s not something that I think a traditional MMO can deliver without major compromises an perversions to the concept.

That is, unless, they decide to follow the Eve Online school of MMOs, and instead encourage and foster player animosity toward one another. Enabling players to kill and screw over each other in clever and ruthless ways would be more in tune with the spirit of Fallout. Should that be the case, Chris Taylor may yet deliver a great Fallout game. Until then, consider me both skeptical and a non-investor towards the Fallout MMO.

8. Spoon says:

Apparently, Bethesda has not closed the book on legal action with Interplay, and that dropping the current lawsuit was a “minor procedural thing”.

9. Frankle says:

I can’t understand why they just don’t let Interplay get on with it. it won’t hurt Bethesda in the slightest.
    I probably won’t buy it for the same reason I don’t try other mmo’s. If I purchase a game i shouldn’t have to keep paying out each month. Thats not owning the game Thats renting it.
    And don’t get me started on that big pile of doo doo that is WOW or i like to call it “WOW that game……. (input generic swear word here)”.
    Anyway back on topic.
    The one advantage Obsidian have is that they have employed people that mod games on the Oblivion engine. So at least they will have someone who knows how to use the engine unlike Bethesda.
    as you will have guessed by now I don’t particularly like Bethesda.
    end of Rant………..For now.