Penguin Party: Steam On Linux?

By Alec Meer on April 22nd, 2010 at 1:38 pm.

Well, that took ten minutes I didn't have spare

So think codey types snooping around in the current closed beta of Steam for Macs. They’ve found explicit mention of Linux in the launcher, and claim there’s no reason for that to be in there if this was purely a Mac thing. Certain, hoofing the Source engine over to OpenGL for Macs makes it platform non-partisan, so there’s nothing other than business decisions really limiting Valve from supporting Linux. While there has been previous evidence to suggest Valve have been sniffing around the penguin platform (including a call for a Linux software engineer a few years back), it’s merely wild rumours and speculation until the house of Seattle thumps down a mighty hand and proffers answers. There’s a really good chance this is smoke on the Unix-water, but it would most certainly be lovely to easily play Team Fortress 2 or L4D on any personal computer.

Who here’s using Linux, then? How’s the gaming?

, , .

1. jimmy says:

I’m using Linux.

And the gaming is painfully limited. But acceptable if you’re not picky. I want this. Everybody does.

• Arthur Barnhouse says:

God yes. I have a PC, a Mac, and a Linux netbook and it would be wonderful to be able to have some cross platform options available. Obviously the early games will be big brand, but two years down the road, having a Torchlight or something similar be cross platform and on steam is really a great image.

Also, they’re porting Source to be platform agnostic, but is there a possibility they’ll support some older games using WINE? It could really open up a lot of title availabilities to them on day 1.

• Joachim says:

I want this. Bad. I’d even shell out money for, and run a specific Steam distro just to be extra-compatible and not have to run Windows.

2. pafnucy says:

Gaming, heh.

3. eoin says:

Linux gaming?

# # # tumbleweed # # #

While games on Linux are certainly possible it’s such a vanishingly small % of the overall P.C. population that it’s only really possible if the cost to Valve is minimal. Which is may well be seeing as they’re porting to Mac now, which runs on a Unix variant (don’t ask me what).

Loki games were running for a while on the business model of porting games to Linux but they’re long gone. I haven’t used Linux regularly for a number of years though any time I have it’s a much much nicer platform, I’m limited by lock in to certain apps (just like everyone else).

• Mike Arthur says:

OSX is certified Unix. The kernel (Darwin) is partly based on BSD code (among other things). It tends towards using a BSD userspace/tools rather than GNU ones.

Linux is not Unix but is Unix-like. They are both POSIX compatible (which are the Unix APIs normally used for development).

4. robrob says:

Finally, the year of Linux on the desktop!

5. correnos says:

The gaming’s about the same as on a mac currently, which is to say unimpressive. It’ll be nice not to have to boot into windows for my Portal.
    Maybe this’ll give graphics card companies reason to make decent drivers now (hey, we can all dream, right?)

6. Alexej says:

played some quake 3 years ago, also nexuiz (same as q3 but free). Usually everything that is q3 derived will run. That’s all.

I’ve heard of people running steam and WoW with Wine, but it’s not the same thing.

• MD says:

This’ll seem like quibbling, but Nexuiz is actaully based on DarkPlaces, a Quake 1 engine mod. (Also it’s only ‘the same as q3′ to the extent that, say, street racing game x is the same as street racing game y.)

• MD says:

Man, I need to stop typing ‘actaully’. It’s probably my most frequent typo, but it always comes from the fingers rather than the brain. (Well, I guess I should blame the motor-control part of the brain. But not the language part.) I can’t work out why — it’s right-index-finger versus left-ring-finger, and lefty somehow keeps pushing in.

7. Michael says:

Gaming is the one thing keeping me on windows (I can run a VM for desktop applications eg iTunes). I’ve done the WINE thing and it’s just been one debugging nightmare after another. I’m ready for native Linux binaries (again, I miss you Loki). I would re-buy my entire game library to get Linux support, and believe me, that’s not an inconsequential amount.

8. Tei says:

Will be a “new thing” if Valve support Linux on Steam. But the market on Linux would be really limited, and maybe a burden.. but you never know. If Steam is remade to work in OS/X, having it to run in Linux seems feasible, still a long path.
    What type of games would have a linux version? some FPS’s, lots of indie titles (lots of indie games already have a version for Mac and Linux). It may make sense for indie titles, like… the only work there would be to repackage these games exactly how Steam expect then to work.

I abandoned the use of ubuntu has a gaming machine because almost all “demos” and games on the brick and mortar shop, are made for windows, and making then run on Linux is a pain. There are lots of games for Linux, just not the games you may want to run. Having lots of games that are easy to install, would be really nice. And may be amazing good for the most casual linux users.

It could be that Steam is positioning itself has the “Indie shop”, and selling to Mac and Linux make commercial sense for indies. We don’t know if also make commercial sense for Steam.

• Mike Arthur says:

“If Steam is remade to work in OS/X, having it to run in Linux seems feasible, still a long path.”

Any basis for this? If they’re using any cross-platform GUI libraries for this (e.g. Webkit or Qt) then it’s actually not really much harder to port to Linux once you’ve ported to OSX. The harder part is deployment but it’s really not a lot of work.

9. toni says:

i use ubuntu on an old pentium laptop, got myself crossover for free during a promotion. It has a one-click installation wizard for steam and popular steamgames. I can play Half-life, dystopia (mod), TF2 on it without crashes or problems. It just takes a little longer to start and I have to reduce quality settings but that’s more because my laptop sucks than WINE having any problems.
    if you don’t wanna shelf out the money for Crossover or similar programs there are enough easy guides on the net to do it yourself. but as a linux user you are used to READ THE MANUAL instead of having some auto-install programs fuck up your installation.

10. LewieP says:

id support linux pretty well don’t they?

• Collic says:

Yep, they have in the past. Theyve always been big proponents of Opengl. Now valve are releasing Opengl games too the task of getting them running under linux is largely done. Even if they don’t do it themselves you can be sure nix users will figure out a way to get the mac ports running under linux.

11. Theory says:

Steam has been on Linux since day one for dedicated servers. It makes this kind of thing completely meaningless: it could be that the GUI client is being ported, or it could just be DS stuff. If anyone has an install of HLDS for Linux, can they do a comparison for us?

(The last time this site got all excited over Steam on Linux, their evidence was the Linux dedicated server files that came with Left 4 Dead.)

12. Mike Arthur says:

Yeh, you’re fairly spot-on here Alec. If the new Steam client has been written cross-platform from the ground up then there’s little reason it can’t move to Linux. Certainly, most OpenGL games use SDL on Mac which means there’s very little extra work on porting to Linux from here. As the GUI code is already non-native looking on Windows already (I’m guessing it’s based around Webkit quite heavily now) you don’t have Look And Feel issues on Mac or Linux.

This is certainly possible, if Valve want to. It makes sense, what with the rise of Linux netbooks.

To qualify my opinions, I do cross-platform porting/development for a living. Valve look like they are doing the cross-platform “proper” route for this (e.g. for the GUI, develop for both/all three major platforms at once). The last company I worked at, I did the original Mac/Linux porting and we saw Linux marketshare to rival that of Macs.

Interesting stuff!

13. BonusWavePilot says:

Yeah, ‘nother Linux user here. The gaming is… well, not great to be honest. Mostly I either emulate it, or play things on my Windows scratchpad gaming partition. (OK, so that’s not using Linux exactly… got to say I recommend it as a way to use Windows though… Buggered up? Got a virus? Delete it and start again… preferably from a known image rather than going through the whole installation rigmarole.)

That said, we do have Battle for Wesnoth, World of Goo, Freeciv, Cave Story, the Introversion titles, Nethack, Frets on Fire, a crapload of emulators for various old timey systems etc. – its not *quite* as bad as ‘another tetris clone’ or ‘a shit puzzle game with graphics stolen from someone’s slightly less shit puzzle game’. Bit light on the recent big name titles as a general rule. WINE for emulation, particularly if you sign up to the Cedega service, does a pretty good job for a lot of stuff. Not tried it on anything too steamy, but have seen reports of such things working.

14. Billy says:

It’s a really really really awful idea to base rumours off company job vacancies, there’s literally dozens of reasons why Valve would need linux software engineers, from internal distributed build engineering to networking to dedicated server applications. They could even have a job posting saying they needed a guy specifically to port steam to linux and it could just be for a feasibility study.

It’s also worth noting that mac and linux code will be relatively similar and code used from various tests could be refactored into a mac project, even if it references linux by name. That said if it is true then great, I personally don’t use linux a whole lot but i’m sure it would make a lot of people happy.

15. KillahMate says:

I use it from time to time. Gaming’s… complicated.

The Great Equalizer, Flash, works more-or-less OK, so Web games are fine, and Wine emulation is up to snuff when it comes to most smaller games. Not to mention smaller games tend more and more to have native Linux ports (thank Chtulhu for cross-platform game libraries). But it’s still not nearly a given, and AAA titles generally take a few years to start reliably working with emulation. So, for example, C&C 3 works just fine, while Fallout 3 is tolerable. It’s partly a matter of how advanced the game is; Crysis still has problems.

You’ll note that was about emulation. Native AAA titles are a joke. id Software games and others using their engines tend to work natively and fine, everyone else… less so. Yearly major game releases can be counted on one hand, and not too many fingers at that.

To compensate slightly, there’s quite a strong Linux indie gaming scene, but it’s regrettably mostly focused on open source clones of classic games. Also it can be a bit insulated. There aren’t really any flagship titles (in the sense that they’re known outside the community), though the multiplayer FPS scene has advanced a lot in the last few years, and may yet surprise us.

Make no mistake, Steam (especially if followed by all the source games, like on the Mac) would be a seismic event.

16. Doeke says:

I play TF2, and use Ubuntu. Now I am forced to reboot to Win7 every time I want to play games. Steam and TF2 for linux would make me very happy.

17. Mike Arthur says:

I spoke to the founder of http://www.tuxgames.com/ at a open-source conference in London. He said that he’s yet to actually make any profit and is basically just bankrolling it himself.

I’m an OSX user now but did the Linux gaming thing for years. Used Cedega and Wine for a while, neither were good enough. Played only native games for a while, there weren’t enough.

I’m a KDE developer so I know a lot of Linux folks. Those who game all tend to either have a console or just keep a Windows partition around. I do the latter.

mrpier says:

I think most of Valves catalog is already playable on Linux through Wine (and other games as well). The problem has been that not all of the features of a game or the game itself would work on Linux unless through considerable tweaking.

19. Ragnar says:

Games I have played (with native clients) lots include:

* BD4 (a boulder dash clone)
    * Neverwinter Nights
    * Alpha Centauri
    * Freeciv
    * Ancient Domains of Mystery

Plus emulator-stuff and probably more that I have forgotten now. More gaming in Windows though, since most games are Windows-only.

20. Niels Walta says:

Using Ubuntu on my home machine I have to admit to still booting into Windows whenever I want to get any gaming on. Even for things that run brilliantly on Linux, such as World of Goo or ET:QW, I’ll switch, though this mostly has more to do with driver issues rather than the games themselves. A quick round of UT2k4 however pops up occasionally without a reboot.

Bringing the Steam platform and (possibly) the Source-engine to Linux would be welcomed and a major step for gaming on the OS, but hardly anything earth-shattering when it comes to sales-potential. From a business standpoint however it is still interesting as Valve has the resources and technology to relatively easily step in and thus define what gaming will look like on such distributions as Ubuntu. Thus becoming even more synonymous with “PC gaming”: Valve, the go-to distributor one thinks of whenever someone mentions gaming on the PC.

21. bookwormat says:

Who here’s using Linux, then? How’s the gaming?

I’ve been using it as my primary operating system for the last decade, and of course many games I want to play require a Windows partition or a dedicated machine running Windows. Linux Distributions other than Android are not a very interesting market for commercial games obvioulsy.

But there are still a lot of great games running on my Ubuntu and Android PCs. All the web and flash stuff obviously, and many of the indie titles run with WINE ( including Frozen Synapse, juhu! ).
    And then there are the free community projects like XMoto or Wesnoth, which are also a lot of fun.

And don’t forget Android (which is very different from conventional Linux distributions, but still running on Linux). Android is still very fresh, but there are a lot of games already, A few of them are even fun.

22. Ali Pang says:

I’m on linux. I play StarCraft. :p

Lars Westergren says:

“Who here’s using Linux, then?”

Me, as often as I can, for my daily work and surfing.

“How’s the gaming?”
    …. wretched. Unless you count online games with Flash. Ok, some titles work fine via Wine/Crossover Office, but I just can’t be bothered these days.

I just keep a Windows partion to boot into when I want to play games.

Unfortunately I think this state is likely to continue. When it comes to cutting edge competition, graphics hardware companies and game companies are unwilling to risk their crown jewels by releasing crucial infrastructure as open source. And considering how eager the Linux community in general are to reverse engineer stuff (and skilled at it), I can understand companies hesitating to even release proprietary binaries for the platform.

24. dwl says:

With all the tablets and slates and pads and net-books around these days I would be surprised if Steam doesn’t pop up on Mac’s and Linux. There is an obvious market for casual gaming and its clear those types are in abundance in the store. AAA titles? Probably not until ATI and Nvidia see value in it.

25. Goose says:

Personally, I’m still on Windows, but would love to switch to Linux. The only things keeping me on Windows is a lack of games and a hatred of constant rebooting. If this finally pushes game development on Linux past the preliminary stages its been in for the last decade, then I’ll finally be able to switch and tell Microsoft to eat a bag of hell.

This also assumes I’ll find a way to make Sims 3 playable under Linux, because my wife would kill me if that no longer became an option.

26. clippa says:

What if Valve were making their own linux-based gaming-geared operating system? Imagine that :D

• KillahMate says:

Well, that would make all kinds of no sense.

• Batolemaeus says:

Actually, it would make sense, kinda. It’s basically a locked distribution channel like your run of the mill console. Basically, they could employ drm at a system level.

While i thing that turning a pc into what it effectively a console would be highly perverse, i’m pretty sure someone thought about it already..

27. Rockeye says:

I run Linux on my netbook, and do play games on it. The ones I’ve played most have been Uplink, Battle for Wesnoth, gnu backgammon, various emulator games (snes mainly). I did manage to get Solium Infernum working through Wine as well.

I have tried playing my Steam games through Wine, but haven’t really had the stability/performance I’d like when I’ve tried. I’d definitely use a Linux-native Steam.

28. Batolemaeus says:

I have quite a few linux boxes, but not for gaming.

It’s basically like this:
    Gaming happens on my server2k8 box that i also tinker around with.
    My servers all run on debian.
    My test box runs debian, ubuntu and gentoo. I’ve played on it, but honestly, windows is the better choice.

However, should valve actually release for linux, i think my time on windows will significantly decrease. L4d2, tf2, and cs are games that don’t run well in wine on my box, but if they run natively..mmh..me like.

29. kikito says:

Writing from a linux system now. Willing to reformat my windows partition and kiss windows goodbye if this ends up happening.

30. Quintesse says:

Indeed the state of gaming on Linux sucks. I’m waiting for the day that virtual machines have full hw accellerated 3D support so I don’t have to reboot all the time (because I think that 3D support in VMs is much more likely to happen than native triple A games on Linux)

• LionsPhil says:

@Quintesse: VirtualBox. Free, open source VM with 3D accelleration for supported guest OSes, which include Linux, Windows NT family (i.e. not 9x), and Solaris. OpenGL only with beta Direct3D “drivers”. (They seem to actually do it by overwriting D3D system files with bits of WINE. Ugh.)

Running Linux under a VM at least *mostly* avoids the hell of making X11 and audio work right. Although thanks to the great PulseAudio trainwreck one of my Linux VMs always boots up muted.

Gaming under a Windows VM…enh. TBH I’ve found the virtual 3D drivers troublesome, and why run the OS with the better hardware support (and, frankly, stability) under the virtual hardware?

31. user@example.com says:

smooooooke on the Unix-water
    and Linux on the desktop

32. kororas says:

Id drop windows like a sack of spuds if most games could be played on it with no loss of quality or performance. Heres to a (potential) step in the right direction! Hurrah!

33. DavidK says:

Linux user here. The gaming scene isn’t as dire as most make it out to be. There aren’t many recent games that run natively, but there are some titles with decent support (Eve Online and Quake Live come to mind), others might work with WINE (Valve’s stuff).

Indie games tend to fare better (e.g. Dwarf Fortress, Sleep is Death, Penumbra and Dominions 3 are native) and WINE seems to play well with most indie titles I throw at it (e.g. Solium Infernum, Frozen Synapse, Minecraft, some of Cliffski’s stuff and anything from Introversion, to name a few).

And remember that Dosbox, ScummVM and other emulators are all supported, which widens the gaming catalogue by an order of magnitude. Ditto for Flash/HTML5 games.

My point is, although it’s nothing like Windows, there’s more to it than just Freeciv and Nethack.

34. elFarto says:

Koules forever!!!

35. Phil says:

Linux user, but another one who eventually cracked & installed windows solely for gaming. I wanted to play TF2…(HL2EpX worked fine under Wine, but TF2 was too much for it at the time. I believe it works now…)

Linux gaming is for the dedicated at the moment & it’ll probably remain that way until (say) Valve & the Ubuntu people get together to deliver a kick-ass gaming platform & set of dev libraries for Linux.

Wisq says:

My main problem is that whenever a dual- or tri-platform 3D accelerated game comes out, I’m always happy at the notion of Linux support, but I never actually use it.

Having a Windows machine for gaming alongside my 24/7 home Linux desktop/server has been a basic reality for so long. All the expensive hardware goes in there — even running Dwarf Fortress or DOSbox games benefit from the better CPU.

All that gaming hardware also runs a lot hotter than my quiet, passively-cooled server stuff, so it wouldn’t even translate well to my Linux server if I got better stuff and tried to do the hardware hand-me-down. And even dual-booting the gaming machine would be such a pain that I might as well not bother, unless some application really demands Linux.

So, if this is real, then it might be a while before I use it. A small island of Linux in a Windows gaming world isn’t the most useful thing just yet — but at least it’s a big step in the right direction, and I applaud them.

37. pimterry says:

Linux gamer — but most of my gaming is on Windows (just moved from XP -> 7), because it’s a right hassle otherwise. You can get a few of the big name games (the major developer being ID, so Quake, UT, Doom etc), and Wine can now run most stuff that’s not too new or taxing (so Frozen Synapse is fine, eve online/wow is fine, but Bad Company 2 is not).

I would be very much into a linux version of steam + valve’s games.

38. Andrew Oakley says:

I use Ubuntu Linux and run Torchlight under Steam using WINE.

It Just Works.

WINE is a compatibility layer between Linux and various MS-Windows libraries such as DirectX. WINE is not an emulator. You just type “wine programname.exe” and, for the most part, it runs. For really intense FPS/RPG stuff, it won’t cut it, but for casual games, arcade games, anything designed for a netbook, It Just Works.

It’s faster than an emulator but not as quick as running it directly on MS-Windows. I tried running Torchlight under Steam via WINE on my Linux netbook, and despite using netbook mode and low res textures, it ran at something like 8fps. Runs just fine on my Celeron 3300 Linux desktop, though.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a MS-Windows machine for playing proper grown-up FPSes like Crysis, Far Cry 2, Oblivion etc. But I don’t have my Windows machine booted up all the time. My Linux desktop also acts as a server, stays on 24/7 and WINE lets me jump on casual games just fine.

It’s also extremely nice to be able to run Steam on both platforms and to choose whether to play a game on MS-Windows or Linux without having to pay for a second copy of the game.

39. Rohit says:

Installed Jolicloud on my netbook, and I can play Quake 3 and DOOM.

I’m happy for now.

40. colinmarc says:

Linux? Gaming? hehe.

I use linux every day, and even when it comes to official ports like Alpha Centauri or Railroad Tycoon, they are a) ridiculously hard to find and b) don’t work half the time.

I will say that dork fortress works perfectly on linux! (except the new version hasn’t been ported over yet, boo)

For most of my gaming, I dualboot win7.

41. Dolphan says:

As I’m sure others have said above – WINE is excellent these days. I used ubuntu for quite a while and never had any problem running games, other than (oddly) Bookworm Adventures 2, which had a few resolution issues.

42. jackflash says:

I love the ‘nix, but stopped using it solely due to the lack of gaming. If gaming finally takes off on the platform, I will happily ditch Windows 7 to go back to OpenSUSE or ‘buntu.

43. durr says:

Don’t know how related this is, but remember there already IS Linux support for dedicated servers, which I think includes a barebones version of Steam. Before we have script lines confirming PLAYING games on Linux being supported, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

The OpenGL port for MaxOSX is a huge step towards, Linux, though. I guess the only think truly holding them back is that they would need to “officially” support Linux if they ever released a Steam client for it, which includes having a team dedicated to it with all the additional time and money needed spent on maybe 0.5% of the mainstream gaming community. It would probably be easy to just throw out SOME quick Linux port, but that’s not really an option for a big, commercial software like Steam.

Sagan says:

My Laptop is running Linux. (Ubuntu) You can get most games to work nowadays using Wine. Even though sometimes you just have to be lucky. Here are some statistics about how people are reporting which applications work and which don’t. And you get some interesting behaviour in there. The Sims 3 for example appears three times in the statistics. One guy reporting it as working rather well, (Gold) then another guy says it doesn’t work at all, (Garbage) and then a third says it works perfectly. (Platin)
    My personal experience for that game: It didn’t work right when it came out, but there was a patch out within a couple of days. If you know how to apply a patch to the source code and compile the program, you could play it from that point forward. A month later the patch was included in the main version of Wine, so everyone could play the game. (all the reporting that I mentioned above happened AFTER that) After that I never had any problems with The Sims 3. Well, OK, that’s not perfectly true. I had to use a no-CD-crack because the DRM wouldn’t work, and the launcher didn’t work properly, so I couldn’t log in and download the second city. But actually playing the game was flawless.

I would say roughly half of the Windows games out there work right out of the box. A lot of others you can get working with some effort. The great thing is, that it is improving constantly, and if something is fixed for one application, then it is also fixed for all future applications. It doesn’t always move ahead in a straight line, for example for the last couple of months, sound doesn’t work in a lot of applications unless you change a setting, but it is noticeable how more and more new games just work.

I fully expect, that soon we will start using Wine to play Windows games that don’t work in Windows 7 any more.

But then on the other hand, I haven’t switched to Linux on my main desktop PC yet. Because sometimes you just want to know that stuff will work. I don’t play all that much on my laptop anyway, so I can deal with having problems occasionally there.

• jon_hill987 says:

I have not come across anything that won’t work in Windows 7 unless it also won’t work in XP. I tried Wine for a couple of these (set it to 98 settings) and it wouldn’t run them either.

45. Karel says:

I use windows only. I have a lot of games, and don’t want to reboot everytime I want to do a different thing.
    But I hope that, one day, we will give up windows for other OSes, so i cracked my version of win 7 .

46. Ben says:

Gaming on Linux, or a lack thereof, is what has me returning from Ubuntu to Windows time and time again. While I can play some of my favourite classics such as Diablo II comfortably under wine, most games are pretty badly handled. My first thought when I heard of the news that Valve games were being ported to OSX and presumably utilizing OpenGL was that I may finally be able to play some more popular games on Ubuntu, which is a great OS and keeps on improving with every release.

47. Don says:

Well gaming on Ubuntu I mostly limit to a bit of Dwarf Fortress. As I got a cheap copy of W7 and booting from one to the other doesn’t take long I don’t really miss games on Linux and it’s kind of good discipline, I only play games when I’ve finished doing the other stuff. And I only boot W7 to play games, really not missing Microsoft when it comes to my working OS.

As to Steam on Linux well it would be a start and maybe Valve will port some of their own games over to see how it goes. But the Linux share is really too small to make it worthwhile unless there’s something to make it more attractive.

So perhaps Valve are playing a long game. Fairly soon every gamer’s machine will easily be able to run a virtual OS without a major hit on performance. If Valve created a Linux image to do that job for a useful subset of the PCs/Macs out there (which they already know lots about via their hardware survey) they could offer developers the equivalent of the console platforms. That is one where the hardware is a known quantity and the OS and drivers are always patched up to date. And perhaps do something to combat piracy at the same time.

48. Sarlix says:

Linux user. Only played natives, flash, and emulated games. Would love to see steam on linux though, especially since ATI have upped their driver support it. Good news I say. :)

James G says:

Dabbled in Linux on an off over the past ten years or so. The general userfriendliness has improved dramatically in that time, but I find myself using Windows most of the time. Games are one reason, but also just general software/hardware compatability (although the latter is hugely better now than when I first started). Also, as someone with only rudimentary coding skill, the benefits of an open system don’t have a direct impact on me, even if it does appeal idealistically.

But ultimately any increased support for Linux is a good thing for everyone except Microsoft. Even if I stick with the proprietary ship Windows for the time being, a good bit of competition should keep things fresh.

50. Kornflakes says: