The Dukeboxes of Hazard: Beat Hazard Demo

By Kieron Gillen on April 22nd, 2010 at 11:07 am.

They should work out a way for this music games to link into Spotify, clearly.

This was impressively bad timing by me. Last night, I posted about Beat Hazard, noting there’s no demo yet. Within hours, its demo was out. Oh noes! So – er – the demo is out. More details in the other post, about the game whose demo is now out. Oh – you can also buy the game on Gamersgate or Direct2Drive. Or the Dev.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Colthor says:

The Direct2Drive link is the GG link again, should be (for UK):

(Advantage: DRM free. Disadvantage: More expensive.)

• XM says:

Also to note only the Steam version has Steamworks all the other versions will not.

• Kieron Gillen says:

Colthor: Thanks! Fixed.

KG

• Vinraith says:

Indeed. Strangely the Gamersgate version lists itself as having SecuROM, but the D2D version is DRM free. The direct-from-developer option doesn’t say anything about DRM at all, so I don’t know what it has, but if it’s DRM free that’s always the best option.

2. XM says:

Now’s your chance to try it before you buy it.

Just a quick note if you find the intensity too much select easy and this will be just about right and gives a challenge still. The dev will find a way to help with intensity some may find when playing.

3. Shrewsbury says:

Disadvantage: Lack of achievements, leaderboards, and Steam Cloud syncing.

• Shrewsbury says:

Oh bugger, that was supposed to be a reply to the first comment.

4. Shadowcat says:

You can also buy the game directly from the developer! Make sure you add that to the original post.

5. abhishek says:

Now I know why some games come with the warning that they may cause epileptic seizures. This whole game is an epileptic seizure.

• trjp says:

I think I may be addicted to that face-melting madness – I keep going back to it for no better reason than I miss the craziness of it :)

Can you be addicted to flashy lights? :) :)

6. RobF says:

Thank the lord for the demo, that saved me £6.

Painful mainly. Saps the fun out of listening to music with the volume as power up mechanic and the game is really deathly dull “my first arena shooter” enemies combined with deathly dull multi-hit boss stuff. ALL WHILST FLASHING A LIGHT IN MY FACE.

An ugly light at that.

Bah.

• trjp says:

This game is clearly NOT FOR YOU

I feel a bit sorry for you really but hey ho, life goes on.

• RobF says:

Oh no need to feel sorry for me, I just don’t have time for anything where the title screen is a more exciting experience than the game.

I’ll live, y’know. Back to the Minter for me where at least there’s a game to match the visual chaos.

• Vinraith says:

The volume thing really is offputting. Half the joy of a game like this, to my mind, is “enhancing” my music listening experience. Including a mechanic that actively detracts from the listening experience is outright counterproductive.

• trjp says:

On the volume thing – here’s a really really simple thing…

Turn up your speakers/headphone a couple of notches – that way the game starts at your normal volume and just gets louder and louder as you get better and better.

Wasn’t hard – was it?

• Jaz says:

Vinraith: That’s why I can’t stand Guitar Hero.

7. TotalBiscuit says:

This game is fantastic for those of us who enjoy burning awesome looking visual effects into our retinas while listening to music.

(I enjoy these things)

8. Chizu says:

I’ve been playing this a fair bit since release, got the 5hour gameplay achievement a little while.
    Great fun, and melts your eyeballs at the same time :D

Did a few vids cause I was bored.
    probably the most brain melty.

9. FunkyLlama says:

I would like to know why it’s regularly spawning a boss the size of Russia during barely-audible passages.

• trjp says:

Bosses spawn as the result of a combination of changes in the music and clearing certain triggers (most likely waves of monsters).

Some songs do spring them in unfortunate places – however this is where the art of not firing (which racks-up your multiplier) and evasive action (until your weapons power-up again) comes in.

There are some songs which are just very very very hard tho – but of the 50-odd I’ve played, only 2 are too hard to complete/not really much fun trying.

10. heavyness says:

It has also been in Xbox’s Indie Channel for sometime now…

And yes, you can use your own music in this version too.

11. Eagle says:

Awesome, just awesome game… Definitely a recommendation, it’s cheap and worth the hours of headache and trauma you will get after you played a few songs.