UK Truck Simulator Demo!

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2010 at 10:18 pm.

Truck simulator! My prayers were somehow answered by the divine forces of actually bothering to look something up after I asked what was basically a rhetorical question… but, yes: UK Truck Simulator has a demo. It’s new! Sadly only a one hour trial, but you should be able to trundle happily around a miniaturised version of Britain for the entire hour. (Pictured: Dover Castle, a Medieval edifice which delivered a strange anecdote about Mel Gibson into my youth. I’ll tell you about it sometime.)

So yes, where’s my MMO that’s basically Eve but with maybe jetpack ninjas versus the titans from Warhammer 40k and some really good emergent strategic stuff, eh? (/Googles)

, .

1. Sjors says:

I actually had a lot of fun with the German Truck Simulator, will give this a try for sure.

2. We Fly Spitfires says:

“So yes, where’s my MMO that’s basically Eve but with maybe jetpack ninjas versus the titans from Warhammer 40k and some really good emergent strategic stuff, eh?”

OMG, that sounds freaking awesome!

3. Phoshi says:

How comprehensive is this? Can I emulate my weekly trip to the shops… but in a truck?

4. a says:

I can see the appeal to flight sims, tank sims, etc., but this? Couldn’t you just rent a moving van and drive around if you really wanted to?

James G says:

A van perhaps, but not a truck, you need to have an HGV license to drive vehicles over a certain weight.

• Bhazor says:

It is kind of strange that its much easier to get a flying lesson than it is to try driving a train or truck. So in that regard flying sim enthusiasts are the stupid ones.

5. aukondk says:

I was quite disappointed by UKTS. One: my home town of Bristol isn’t there and two: I’ve been living in eastern europe for the better part of the year and driving on the left side of the road hurts my head :p

• HidesHisEyes says:

No bristol AT ALL?

And to think I was about to download.

6. Robomutt says:

The trial of German Truck Driver lasted an hour, but the clock kept ticking while the game as paused. Never got to Dortmund :( Picked up a hitchhiker though. :)

7. Robomutt says:

Sorry, I was being funny and I realise I’ve implied you can pick up hitchhikers in the actual game. No idea if you can. Doubt it. That’d be way cool. They’d almost certainly then fine you if you did it though.

• Divebomb says:

rig’n'roll’s got hitchhikers. stupid stupid hitchhikers

8. Novotny says:

I am so downloading this

9. Zerimski says:

I’m not entirely sure the sim is accurate. I have no idea where the road in the screenshot could be.

10. Jimbo says:

Can you simulate what happens when you drive a truck the wrong way down a motorway? Can you do anything cool at all? (eg. crash, set on fire, deliver munitions, re-enact Convoy, etc.)

11. Novotny says:

Bah! won’t work. Failed to load some sort of module. Evening = ruined. Hate the world.

12. leo says:

I did one mission of the game, it was kind of relaxing, kind of boring.

Also, I forgot British people drive on the other side of the road.

13. Ed says:

Is this really the extent of the map? Shame.

They could have pulled real satnav route data and filled in the gaps with procedural content… Still, I quite enjoyed the hour I got out of euro truck simulator, so I’ll give this a bash, if only so that I can crash into the SECC. Or something.

• Ed says:

Damn, not logged in. Yes, it really is the extent of the map. It’s quite relaxing, but it’s somewhat like those deliver-the-car missions in Test Drive Unlimited where you have to be a patient and good driver, and only floor it when the road is clear… except when you floor it in this, nothing happens.

The game engine is pretty and the handling mechanics are solid, but the extreme space dilation means that there isn’t much interesting terrain or any back roads to discover. (I drove from Sheffield to Aberdeen via Glasgow and the northernmost road in the game) I certainly applaud the developers for the obvious effort and devotion they’ve bestowed on it, but I suspect it’s a little too niche (and spatially distorted) for me.

14. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

I love trucking time!

15. Alex McLarty says:

Where are the grey skies and torrents of rain? Britain! It’s more like Gibraltar!

16. Soylent Robot says:

oh boy i love crashing trucks

17. BearFoo says:

I love the music on the trailer for it. Makes you feel that at some point in the game, all of a sudden some kind of big conspiracy drama will happen and you’ll be driving with your life on the line.

18. Pew says:

I will get this if there is a Clarkson achievement for picking up and killing 10 prostitutes while on the road.

19. dethgar says:

I want, nay, demand to hear this Mel Gibson anecdote Mr. Rossignol!

20. PaT2090 says:

Anyone want to race? See how far we can get in an hour and screenshot the results?

21. tyler smith says:

hello played Euro truck simulator and that is good so fort I might try this