Yes, Happening: Mechwarrior 4 Free

By Jim Rossignol on April 22nd, 2010 at 6:31 pm.

That’s a refurbished Mechwarrior 4 for free, you understand. The chaps over at MekTek have been working on this for a while, and it seems that they’ve finally done it:

If you’ve been following the drama surrounding the free release of Mechwarrior4, than you would be aware that the initial announcement, made last summer, was a bit premature. After nearly a year since the announcement came, MekTek Studios is pleased to announce, that Microsoft Legal has given the all clear for the free release of Mechwarrior4. This hallmark movement by Microsoft Games couldn’t come at a better time, as the Mechwarrior community is attempting a rebirth, amidst announcement of a Mechwarrior Reboot. Thank you Microsoft.

Thanks, Microsoft. No release date yet, but hopefully it’ll be soon. (A new commercial Mechwarrior game, you might recall, has already been announced.)

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. AcidWeb says:

“We’ll get it out as .0019 update on MTX by this weekend (testers have a bunch of issues to verify and that the build is good).”

“Keep in mind, the patch .0019 which will be available on MTX when it is ready, is not out yet. This unlocks the game. So, if you are downloading it and don’t have CD, be patient,
    when it is ready (we are shooting for this weekend), it will be a simple update and you will be ready to roll. So the stuff you are downloading now is required anyway, so
    just hang in there. The patch is ready and will undergo a few days of testing to make sure a bunch known issues are ironed out.”

Lambchops says:

Ooh, good news. i’ve never actually got round to trying a mechwarrior game, despite the fact they very much look like something I’d enjoy. Plus I’d assume it will give me an oppurtunity to dust off my old joystick (even if having done so I’ll have to resist playing Freespace 2 instead!).

Looking forward to some big stompy robot action.

• Dominic White says:

If you have Crysis, you NEED to play Mechwarrior: Living Legends. Multiplayer only, but arguably the best Mechwarrior game released so far. Not bad for a fan-game, eh?

• Warskull says:

I wasn’t that impressed with MW:LL. The modeling and mapping was excellent, but actual game play wasn’t very good. Feels like they need to implement real objectives and balance the game so mechs are less of a liability.

• Dominic White says:

Less of a liability? Y’wha? Lemme guess, you’re one of those guys who ran out to the frontlines by yourself in an assault mech, and got brought down by one or two power-armored enemies, right?

Solution to this: Stick with your team. Always. A single cheapass AC/5 tank can provide anti-air and anti-infantry support for a whole squad, and with surprising range.

• cdm says:

Yes, MWLL really is a combined arms Battletech game more than solely just a mech game.

DarkNoghri says:

My issue with this? I bought Crysis and realized it was heavily CPU limited for me. So I upgraded my CPU. As far as I can tell, I got NO performance boost. Which probably means no boost in MW:LL.

Maybe I need to reinstall or something….

• cdm says:

Crysis performance is far more about GPU than CPU

DarkNoghri says:

And I’m running a ATI 4850 which should be fine at most decent resolutions at lowish settings. I tried different resolutions up and down the spectrum, and performance didn’t really change. Thus, CPU limitations.

3. Dominic White says:

Just pointing out that this isn’t the Mechwarrior 4 you knew. The Mektek team have done a LOT to the game. Tons of new mechs, weapons, features, etc.

So hurrah for them, and good for the rest of us. It’ll keep me busy until the Living Legends team release the next big version of MW:LL.

• Veret says:

This may be an irrelevant question in light of that overhaul, but which MW4 are they releasing? I remember playing Vengeance and Mercenaries, and I think there may have been another version released in there as well.

• Dominic White says:

All-in-one pack of everything, as far as I can gather, including the MW4 expansion Black Knight. All upgraded, too.

• Veret says:

Being a heterosexual male, this is the first–and, I expect, last–time I will ever say this: Squee!

• Vinraith says:

@Dominic

I can only second Veret’s “Squee!” on this one, it sounds truly spectacular.

4. Hunam says:

Yay for Microsoft \o/

5. Choca says:

I used to be a big fan of Mechwarrior games back when I was young and humble. The prospect of giant robots killing each other doesn’t really seem to interest me that much anymore, ’tis sad.

• Dominic White says:

I’m afraid your inner child may have died. My condolences.

The day I find no joy in giant robots blowing stuff up is the day I take a short walk out of my fifth floor window.

• Mr_Day says:

For me it was Mechwarrior 2 that got me into large, stompy robots. Up until then the prospect had always seemed a bit dumb.

In the end I became a large fan of both the Mechwarrior and Earthsiege/Starsiege games. My only problem is that I loved Mech2 Mercenaries so much – when they made Mech 4 Mercenaries, I was hugely excited up until the point I played it. For me, it was too much story, not enough being a mercenary. But ah well, eh?

Fun fact. I got so into big stompy robots, I have Steel Battalion. You may call me a sad git –

– now.

• Shivoa says:

Who doesn’t have Steel Battalion? It may have seemed a bit excessive to buy an expensive controller for a single game that wasn’t from Sega back in the day, but we live in an enlightened world of plastic guitars everywhere now. Who doesn’t want a 40 button, many axis controller for all their Mech/Flight/Space sim needs in classic PC gaming (given suitable time to find all the old drivers to make it work).

• PatrickSwayze says:

You sir, will never be a MechWarrior of Clan Jade Falcon.

• Springy says:

When I have enough cash to throw away (or am sufficiently drunk) I will buy Steel Battalion. A friend once let me play his copy once, and the procedure for just starting up the mech was enough to make me squeal.

6. Choca says:

“I’m afraid your inner child may have died. My condolences.”

Never liked that little punk anyway.

7. Jacques says:

I’m going to have to go buy a joystick now.

8. nutterguy says:

Couldn’t agree more with Dominic White.
    “If you have Crysis, you NEED to play Mechwarrior: Living Legends.”

9. Vinraith says:

I was starting to despair that this would ever happen, so I’m thrilled to hear about progress.

As to Mechwarrior Living Legends, I’m sure it’s awesome but I really wish it had single player.

10. Malagate says:

Ohh, very nice.

Thanks Microsoft.

Thicrosoft.

• MD says:

I’ve been wondering about this for a while — what’s the deal with the ‘Thanks . ‘Th.’ thing? I’ve seen it in a few different places, and each sighting raises my curiosity level, but it’s pretty much ungoogleable. Is there a known source, and/or any hidden meaning?

• MD says:

I forgot that inequality signs, and everything inside them, get stripped by this comment software. But you can see what I mean, I think.

• MWoody says:

They’re most likely done in reference to the 2002-2005 British comedy show “Look Around You,” which parodied 70s educational films in its first season/series and pop-science programs like “Tomorrow’s World” in its second.

It was a running joke on the program for the narrator to combine two words, usually with one being “thanks,” into a portmanteau. For example, “Thanks, ants. Thants” or, “Thanks, Tchaikovsky. Thaikovsky.”

I’m unclear if the show was itself parodying another source or if they originated the joke, but I think it likely that anyone doing that bit today is doing so in reference to Look Around You.

• MD says:

Thanks very much. (I was all set for a ‘Thoody’, but couln’t quite bring myself.) One more small but significant source of confusion vanquished!

11. Heliocentric says:

Puma/black adder erppc in one arm, lbx20 in the other.

Kills assault mechs up close in the face, snipes light/medium mechs at hundreds of meters, small enough to hide behind tiny pieces of cover. Only 30 ton, sorted.

12. cdm says:

Honestly, forget the joysticks lads; mechwarriors use keyboard and mouse if they want to survive.

And as mentioned above, MWLL is excellent.

• Springy says:

Cyndi Lauper made a good point when she said that mechwarriors just want to have fun. So I use a joystick, because it’s oodles of fun.

• cdm says:

If clumsy inaccuracy is your idea of fun, so be it.

• Springy says:

You have no romance in your soul. :(

13. Frosty says:

I’m a going to be able to drive round in Stompy Robots! Then I’m going to design some for a degree! YAY STOMPY!

14. Alexander Norris says:

This fills me with more joy than the announcement of a proper new X-Com ever could have (had it actually happened).

15. Simonkey75 says:

Can we just correct this to “If you have Crysis, and it doesn’t crash all the time for no apparent reason on your brand new, state-of-the-art Gaming PC … grrrrr … then you get the chance to play Mechwarrior Living Legends”

16. Pode says:

I’m a strategy gamer. Mount and Blade and Mechwarrior are the only two things requiring any degree of reflexes that have ever appealed to me. I don’t even know what Crysis is. Is MWLL worth buying Crysis for?

• Dominic White says:

Crysis is worth buying Crysis for. MW:LL is worth buying Crysis twice for.

17. Boris says:

Wow… installing this and getting it running seems to require some serious stubbornicity. Less so than digging up the discs however.

18. Chris says:

I quit paying attention to the Mechwarrior franchise when they took away my plethora of options for rigging up my mech the way I want to. This coincidentally falls along the same time frame of when Microsoft stamped it’s big ugly name across the box.

I miss jamming a massive laser array into my mech, mapping them all to my primary fire button, and surfing the edge of overheating my mech with every shot. I miss being able to put weapons in my mech where I want, rather than being constrained to putting primary weapons in my arms, where they will be certain to be shot off 30 seconds into combat. I miss balancing heat sinks with weapons. I miss stripping off all my weapons and armor, and juicing my engine up to bleeding eye fast, diverting all spare energy to the rear shields and serpentining through a scouting mission.

Do any of the new iterations of Mechwarrior bring this back? If not…

Thanks Microsoft!