R.U.S.E. Postponed ‘Til September

By Jim Rossignol on April 23rd, 2010 at 4:58 pm.

So it seems that issues were indeed raised by RUSE’s length multiplayer beta, as Ubisoft are postponing the RTS-that-wants-to-be-a-boardgame until September. The announcement appears to have been made over on the game’s Facebook page, but we expect official confirmation soon.

You can read some of my impressions on the game over at Eurogamer.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Mario Figueiredo says:

Not a terribly lengthy delay. It’s just 5 months from now.

Not that I care. I have long decided to boycott all UbiSoft games, regardless of how much they may interest me. And RUSE is really shaping into quite an interesting game. But in any case, September is not overly dramatic for players who did their pre-orders or are otherwise eagerly awaiting the game. Or is it?

• williambraski says:

Agree. I was interested in this a few months ago, but not now, thanks to their DRM.

Even if this game didn’t ship with that ridiculous system, I still plan to stay away. Ubisoft is dead to me.

• Don says:

Yeah, put me in the don’t care camp as well. Until their DRM nightmare RUSE would have been on my list of possible purchases but now, not so much. OTOH perhaps the delay will be of benefit, by the time it’s ready maybe Ubisoft’s DRM will have been found to be a sales killer and/or thoroughly cracked and will have dropped out of the picture. One can but hope.

2. Goomich says:

Mafia 2 – August 27, Elemental – August 31, CiV – September 1.
    Easiest boycott ever.

• Wilson says:

@Goomich – You scared me for a second there. I totally misunderstood your post, and thought you were listing UbiSoft games that you weren’t looking forward to that would be easy not to buy. Phew…

• Vinraith says:

@Goomich

Wow, I had no idea that late summer was going to be the turn based strategy apocalypse. 2010′s going to be a good year…

3. jon_hill987 says:

Maybe they are persponing it because of the reaction to the DRM. They might be thinking about removing it from R.U.S.E.

• user@example.com says:

Or they’re just worried that if it hasn’t been cracked, it will have been demolished by then. The only solution is to make it even more secure! Also, to format any drives it can access if it detects the file extension .nfo

• Demon Beaver says:

They probably want to upgrade their DRM to new heights of idiocy after the last one proved playable yesterday

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

I think Demon Beaver is right., you will have to request a new cd every week, through snailmail. I mean, a floppy disc.

4. DMJ says:

This announcement is… a ruse.

I’ll go now.

• DJ Phantoon says:

the sock ruse was a……………

DISTACTION

i HAVE the car

(It is very unlikely anyone will get this reference)

5. Mad Doc MacRae says:

I was excited about this until the DRM (and Goomich points out, there are some other games coming out around then, though I’m really only interested in Elemental of his list).

6. bookwormat says:

I would subscribe to a good ubisoft game, but with all the good strategy games coming out this year, and all the good strategy games I already bought/subscribed, I’m not really interested in RUSE so far.

I’m also quite sure Ubisoft is going to ask me for a ridiculously high amount of money should I subscribe at release.

7. somnolentsurfer says:

That’s five more months for them to rethink their stupid DRM before I have worry about how committed I am to the the boycott. I can live with that.

8. Dominic White says:

The delay ruse was a………… DISTACTION.

I have the car.

9. Oak says:

My backlog is so big I now look forward to delays.

10. Turin Turambar says:

So…. they moved the release date to coincide with Starcraft 2, Civ V and Elemental, the biggest three strategy games of the year. Great thinking!

11. Mahel042 says:

Stop posting UBISOFT stuff or break off the boycott.

12. Mac says:

Time enough to patch out the DRM?

• Mario Figueiredo says:

You mean, make it better? Like, always online plus you can only save online and all scripted game content is on the content servers?

13. PleasingFungus says:

I really enjoyed the multiplayer beta a great deal. (Put about ten hours into it, according to Steam’s stats – very respectable!) It’s just such a pity that it’s a Ubisoft game, what with their current regime.

…well. Five months time is enough for many things to change. I’ll keep an ear cocked for improvement.

• Warskull says:

With Ubisoft’s DRM, the poor marketing, and releasing near other, bigger games, RUSE will likely be DOA. Sucks for the developer, they actually did a decent job. Maybe they can escape Ubisoft in the future.

14. subedii says:

Pretty much my thoughts. I was interested until it was evident that Ubi’s new scheme was involved. At that point I didn’t even bother with the beta since I knew I probably wasn’t getting it. These days my RTS gaming is happily satisfied by DoW2 (and Chaos Rising), and Supreme Commander 2. And Starcraft 2 is on the way. I don’t really feel any pressing desire to buy this too and support Ubisoft’s shenanigans.

But hey if you want to compete against Starcraft 2, it’s your call. Should the game fail to sell, I’m sure there’s a suitable and readily available excuse you could adopt as to why it did worse than expected.

15. Bowlby says:

Not interested until they change their DRM “solution”. (Although, if I were to buy R.U.S.E. it would certainly not be on the PC. Ubisoft are the worst when it comes to the PC port/version of their games.)

16. bill says:

I thought we weren’t talking about games by these guys??

17. Arathain says:

This is a bit of a puzzle. From my time in the recent beta the game seemed slick, balanced and fun. Almost entirely bug-free, too. I would guess the delay would be due to issues with the single-player content.

Chalk me up as another who wouldn’t have bought it anyway, blah blah DRM blah.

18. SmokingKipper says:

I am suprised of this DRM, they did not just make it a browser game; could they not have done the same with Settlers?

Making it a browser based game, lets Ubisoft do all their cloud based saving gibbons, and by proxy, you need to be online to play. I would have bet this would have sat far better with the public as well.

What do you think?

• SmokingKipper says:

Sorry for my terrible spelling etc, getting used to this netbook, with TINY keys and all types of crazy.