Eurogamer Retro: Another World

By John Walker on April 26th, 2010 at 7:40 am.

I want one of those beasts as a pet.

Replaying Another World for Eurogamer, in the form of its 15th Anniversary Edition, I found myself asking questions. Mostly of myself. Do I like trial and error gaming? The question was tricky, because I generally don’t, but I was enjoying Another World a great deal. Apart from when I reached the point where it became all error, and quite a trial. Were you to read it, you’d encounter passages like:

When developers at Valve make a game, from the moment a single room has been crafted in their Hammer editor, they playtest it. Outsiders come in once a week, with no previous experience of the game, and play with whatever’s been created. The developers must watch without comment, and observe how the player encounters the game. This is not how Another World was developed. Released in 1991, Another World was the one-man project from Eric Chahi, a visually striking 2D platform game about a man transported to an alien world after a disaster with his particle acceleration experiment.

It’s here.

, , .

1. Premium User Badge dartt says:

It’s true, that quote is in the article.

2. Spacewalk says:

And that’s all she rote.

3. Vinraith says:

It’s creating a single-player standard where it just isn’t okay to die. The player is having fun when he’s succeeding, winning, overcoming. He isn’t having fun when he’s being killed by the same boss creature a dozen times in a row. And when a game lasts six to 12 hours, you want to be progressing, seeing what comes next.

I don’t enjoy excessive trial-and-error gameplay, but at the same time if I never die it’s an indication to me that the game is too easy. My ideal level of challenge, I suppose, is a game that at least occasionally kills me and requires me to re-evaluate a given encounter. HL2 did a perfectly fine job of that on medium the first time, for me, and on second play-through I cranked it up to hard. There’s such a thing as too much of this, and I would say if I haven’t figured out a good tactic by my third or fourth death I’m not going to. Anything beyond that tends to serve purely as frustration, rather than reading as “challenge.”

Another World, sadly, sounds like it would cause me to fling my mouse out the window. It’s funny, I remember thinking how incredible the art looked when the original version came out, but I never got around to it. When the re-release turned up on GOG I wishlisted it immediately, but I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t have.

• archonsod says:

Another World got away with it through making the deaths fun. For the most part anyway. When you died, you usually got a cutscene showing the manner of your demise in detail. The end result was that at times even though you could plainly see something would kill you, and the means of avoiding it were readily apparent, you still went ahead and got yourself killed just to see if it triggered one of the little movies you hadn’t seen before.
      It didn’t apply to every death and some points (like the tunnels mentioned in the article) were simply tedious games of trial and error but it occurred enough to make you want to experiment.

• Rich says:

Those bloody tentacle maw things in the tunnels, AH!

Shoot the ceiling one, jump over the floor one, shoot the other cei… no don’t jump yet, I WASN’T MOVING!
      Repeat for the 50th time, sobbing.

Not to mention the fact that the first time I did the tunnel bit, I had taken the wrong path right at the beginning and failed to flood the big tank thing. Wandering around at the bottom of a whole with the creeping feeling that the last half-hour was totally wasted is one of my main memories of that game.

If I had to express my feelings about Another World, I would say that it is definitely not fun to play, but it compels you to go on in order to see what happens next. The way the story is told is so simple; with no dialogue, but the whole thing is so beautifully crafted you really get into it.

• Radiant says:

Keyboard… fling your keyboard.
      You bloody heathen.

:D

4. blah says:

Another World wasn’t completely a one-man project, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the best games of all time. :)

5. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Trial and error still exists in games that are refined to subtly tell you what you should do. Because even though you know where to go or what to do, you still have to find out how to do it without being killed too soon. Especially in multiplayer games. But it feels as if you yourself have failed, not the game.

6. Lobotomist says:

Another World is one of ten best games ever made , in my honest opinion.

To better understand it. You must know that when the game was released there was nothing even remotely like it. It was like if the next game after castle Wolfenstein was Half Life 2.

Funny story is that when i first time loaded Another World on my Amiga 500.
    I watched the intro in mild amusement and than the game started suddenly during the cutscene. And my jaw dropped to the floor.

I called my friend on the phone “Come Now! You must see this!!!”

We sat that night playing the game until the wee hours of morning. And we finished it the same night.
    So strong was the spell the game put on us, that we overcome all the difficulties.

No game ever came to that magic feeling for me again.

• realmenhuntinpacks says:

Word up on that. The difficulty was irrelevant in light of the total rapture this fucker engendered.

7. Sarlix says:

My tool box!

8. Risingson says:

What I admire most about Another World is how narrative it is without a single word. And how beautiful it is with so few colours and polygons. And how cinematic it is when few games of its time were.

The trial-and-error gameplay? Yes, it is sometimes annoying, but there’s something about this Chahi’s masterpiece that makes me play it again every year. There’s also an underlying homoerotic subtext that I like a lot too.

And my favourite version is the 3DO one: yes, it betrays what Chahi intended, but it still is more beautiful than his remake.

9. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Man, I hated the vents…

10. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Another World is one of the best games I’ve ever played.

11. blah says:

Anyone ever played onEscapee? Apparently, it’s completely free: http://onescapee.invictus.hu/

• Rich says:

No, I haven’t played it. I’ve heard it’s shit though.

Yeah.

• blah says:

Oh well. Some of the puzzle screens looked a bit interesting. : | Very long play on utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_e-44NR-cc

• Risingson says:

Let’s mention the similar games:

- Flashback, obviously. Storytelling and some trial-and-error, and just as fascinating.
      - Prince of Persia 1 & 2. Much more difficult, though.
      - Oddworlds
      - Blackthorne. The best game Blizzard has ever made.
      - Cougar Force.
      - Invasion. Much poorer, though.
      - Bermuda Syndrome. Much more difficult.
      - And can we put the first Metroid games and the later Castlevanias here?

• Rich says:

Ah, my apologies. I was just being edgy (ok being a dick), because your post looked like spam; didn’t appear to mention or give any indication of any kind of link between Another World and your linked game. Since it looked like spam, I didn’t click the link. If I had, I would have realised I was talking out of my arse.

In my defence, Pod seems to have made the same mistake.

• diebroken says:

Ahh Bermuda Syndrome, wasn’t that the game with the female side-kick (with the exposed breast)? Though not as ‘bad’ as that Game Over artwork, back in the day… :O

• Helm says:

Cougar Force is more like Mission Impossible, right? Different ‘strand’ of platformer. Haven’t played Invasion. You also could check out that Zorro game that’s a rip-off of Prince of Persia mechanics (DOS), ‘Generations Lost’ for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive… also that flash game starting a cock is vaguely Flashbackesque. I have a great fondness for what I call ‘step’ platformers and I’ve sorta been collecting them.

• Radiant says:

Cougar Force…
      The spiritual successor to Invasion: M.I.L.F.

• Risingson says:

Damn. As usual, I mixed up Cougar Force and Crime Wave, which was the one I tried to mention.

BTW, I see those games as natural evolution of “videoadventures”. You know, Alchemist, Pyjamarama, Knight Lore, all that stuff.

12. Pod says:

Nice try, author of onescape.

What do people think about Flashback? Why does no one love it as much as AW?

• blah says:

LOL – I was just asking if anyome had played it! I can’t seem to d/l it anymore from that site (not sure if I’d like to try another ‘source’, i.e. torrent) :(

Some people love FB even more than AW, and also Fade To Black as well. For me, AW flows better in both gameplay and story progression. I also didn’t like some of the design level design of FB – it felt too much like Prince of Persia. AW is just too damn cinematic! :D

• Tom Camfield says:

@ Pod

Flashback v AW

Flashback uses more buttons and moved away from context sensitive controls to become a more straightforward platformer. We have plenty of Mario platformers against which Flashback doesn’t really come anywhere near. As such, it’s not regarded as a classic.

AW, as a platformer, is easily outclassed by the aforementioned little plumber, but it’s not seen as a straight platformer, so generally avoids the comparison. As a graphic adventure, the trial and error, and instant deaths should mean it’s crushed by Monkey Island or DotT, but again, it’s not commonly seen in that genre either.

AW holds onto it’s classic status because it has found a niche genre, like some early example of an interactive movie, a genre with very few modern counterparts. It should be noted that the central section, which Mr. Walker found distressing, has always been a problem, something remarked upon when the game was originally released. As such, the game should have been surpassed by now, but no one has really tried.

(As for Fade To Black, mentioned by blah, it had a nice story, but the controls were clunky and the character shuffled left and right a little too laboriously.)

• Premium User Badge Hodge says:

For me it’s just a case of Another World coming first. The first time I played it I was astonished by how well the graphics worked. Back then polygons were still almost exclusively reserved for flight sims, and the idea of using them in a platform game seemed bonkers. By the time Flashback came along our expectations had adjusted and it seemed more normal.

Another World also was a bit more freeform with its game design, where you’d diverge from the standard platforming stuff to do other things. The infamous vent screen is an example, but there’s also the bit where you rock the cage, the swimming sections and a couple more. Each bit flowed naturally from the last, and it did a really good job of directing the player. The levels never felt like grids, they always had a ‘natural’ feel to them.

By contrast, Flashback was basically a straight up platformer, with very grid-like levels. Very good grid-like levels, it must be said, but it never had the jaw-dropping sweep that Another World had. Fantastic game in its own right, though.

• Manley Pointer says:

@Camfield: I always thought Flashback had a more interesting setting and atmosphere than most other platformers (except, of course, Another World). Also, I don’t really see why people take it as a given that one button controls > several button controls? I don’t always want to play things that could be controlled with a joystick and one button, Atari-style.

13. HarbourMaster says:

I loved Another World (although I was more in love with Flashback which I encountered first – but AW is clearly stronger on the artistic side, because games are art, yeah).

John seyz: “Maybe we had more patience? Perhaps I, perhaps we, were idiots back then. That might well be it. We certainly had different expectations. ”

There are two differences.

Numero uno. Those of us who knew it back then – we all got older. And you have less time to screw around with try-die games. Whether its job, babies, godhood, whatever. No one wants to waste precious spare time on something that just isn’t fun. Oh come on, show me the next frikkin’ screen already!!

Numero B. Life was slower – we were not buffeted about by the gales of the internet. With info coming at us from all sides, there’s always something new, shiny, better, stronger to experience. It wants your love. You’re encouraged to two-time on your games. Three-time. Four-time. Eventually, you give up at the first sign of trouble and play with the new Flash bauble in your browser. Play, switch, play, switch, play, switch–

This isn’t the gaming mindset I wanted to grow into, but it’s wot i got.

• bill says:

this.

I played a single game for months at a time back then… the internet wasn’t always telling me about the other new shiny things that were coming out every week.

• Clovis says:

As a kid I finished NES Ninja Gaiden. I don’t think I’d get through the second level as an adult. I only had a few games, so I had to play them a lot.

Somehow I don’t have this weird nostalgia thing about Ninja Gaiden though. I consider it a great achievement to have finished it, but I currenlty think the game kinda’ sucked.

14. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Oh, I forgot to mention:

The world isn’t fair. The fact that games these days are ‘fair’ or, perhaps, provide more guidance, handholds and a lower difficulty is okay, but not if you want to make a game (like Another World) where you really are going against the odds. Sometimes you really don’t know what way leads to freedom/safety/victory.

No, the protagonist who does make it is just one of the many versions of him (quantum mechanically?) who is both extremely lucky and skilled.

And sometimes there is fun to be found in the overcoming. And the following/guiding/rooting for a character. Such can be found in Another World.

• Rich says:

“People will accept many things, but not unfairness.” I’m paraphrasing I think, but that was the subject of an article that if not actually published here, was linked to from here some time ago.

You can be the poorest, dung eating slum-dweller, but if everyone else is, you can accept it.
      As soon as some land owner comes in and says “Clear off peasants, I bribed the government for this land, I’m building a factory” i.e. someone comes to take away what little you have, when they don’t really need it, that’s when the masses start getting all moody and violent.

In games this manifests in not minding if you die because you’ve made a mistake; ran headlong into a room of enemies, thrown a grenade badly etc. but getting extremely frustrated when you get killed miles from a checkpoint through no fault of your own, e.g. by friendly fire or a sniper who’s in trees and can’t be seen, but because it’s an NPC can see through anything it can shoot through (damn you Medal of Honour).

15. geldonyetich says:

What with 16 years having passed and the company becoming defunct, I’m beginning to lose hope for a sequel. :P

Hey, it did end with a bit of a cliffhanger, what with the protagonist still trapped in Another World and apparently badly injured. I’m assuming he doesn’t just fly off and live happily ever after with his giant hulking alien companion.

• Risingson says:

Three words: Heart of the Alien. On Mega-CD. Don’t expect such a good design, though.

• Rich says:

Only seen screens from that. The switch to sprites for the characters was definitely a mistake.
      Also, I don’t think it was made by the original team/guy.

• Risingson says:

Then, Heart of Darkness :)

• Crush says:

Chahi disavowed the sequel on the Sega system, in an old French interview a good few years back he basically stated he had very little involvement with the games development, faxing drawings to the team was mostly what he did, along with the feedback he gave being ignored he was very disappointed with the outcome.

His stance was to to treat the sequel as if it doesn’t exist.

Also I think the human player character is indeed dead at the end, not sure if that was part of the interview, was so long ago.

16. Hippo says:

I’ve never understood why people say Flashback is like Another World. It isn’t. Another World is almost like an interactive movie, where things change all the time, while Flashback is just a very clever platform/action/exploration game, like the original Prince of Persia.

OnEscapee and Eric Chahi’s own Heart of Darkness are much closer to Another World than Flashback and any of the other Prince of Persia-clones mentioned.

17. robrob says:

John, a man of your impeccable taste and adventure gaming heritage cannot fail to be a fan of LBA2, are you planning on turning your retro-gaze Twinsunwards?

18. Paul says:

Another World is infinitely better on youtube than any other system. I ‘played’ it for the first time early this year, and as a game it is one of the worst classics I have ever experienced tbh. As a world and narrative, it’s pretty good.

19. Cinnamon says:

The best game of the past 10 years or so I can think of that summoned the spirit of Another World is Ico. Valve don’t seem that relevant to any understanding of this sort of game and what it can be.

20. Risingson says:

What I cannot understand is people saying that Another World is unforgiving. I mean, it is, but compare this game to classic rpgs or arcades from that time: it’s much more forgiving than them.

A bit off topic: yesterday I was looking through a magazine from 1998, and it was a bit depressing to see that they talked about games from 10 years ago without any prejudice.

21. bill says:

“Another World certainly isn’t fair. One screen sums this up perfectly. You’re in a series of tunnels, but you can only see about a metre either side of your character, the rest of the screen enveloped in darkness. You can roll left or right, dropping into blank spaces. Some of them have spikes at the bottom! So the only way to get through the level is to fail until you don’t. ”

I never got past this part. there were blasts of steam too. I’m guessing it’s about half way through?

But I don’t care, this game is awesome, and despite the annoyances of some parts, just the first 3 sequences are so awesome that the game is worth it for them alone. Lovely game. Like lemmings in that it got so much character out of so little. And although the trial and error gameplay annoyed me enough to make me give up, strangely it still didn’t really annoy me.

There have been a few recent games whose difficulty has really annoyed me, maybe because now I know that they SHOULD be testing this stuff. Like that level in Driv3r where you have to handbrake turn out of a tiny parrallel parking space and then go across an intersection of speeding traffic. I played that over 150 times before I could beat that level, many of them failing within 10 seconds of the start. And with a continue/load screen that didn’t make things any more acceptable.

When you encounter that kind of situation these days you can’t help but wonder “did these guys NEVER play their game? Did they never watch ANYONE play their game?? Not once???” and plot ways to send the shattered CD to their office along with some kind of death threat.

Another world never made me want to do that…. lovely game.

• HarbourMaster says:

I suspect if I played AW these days, I might give up on it – some of those jumps and kicks and constant shield energisings were brutal. Thankfully I played it yesteryear, and have a warm feeling remembering the atmosphere and alienness of this other place. It was an experience beyond just a rather difficult game and that’s what carries it.

22. Markoff Chaney says:

The world shouldn’t be fair. You are sucked through a rift in the continuum to Another World, whereupon you have to learn the rulesets of the place you just joined. Part of the charm and joy of this game. I loved the opening sequence, loved how you could get shot, loved how lions would eat you unless they stumbled. Wonderfully enjoyable game as a wee one, and it was just as brutal when I replayed the new purtier edition. I absolutely loved this on my PC growing up.

Fade to Black, on the other hand… Meh Meh at best. Maybe I should revisit it one day, though.

• Markoff Chaney says:

To further clarify my sleep deprived comment, lack of “fairness” in learning what will and won’t kill you is fine in my book. Lack of “fairness” because once I learn how to do something I fail in the execution is also absolutely acceptable. One is based in exploration and discovery, the other in mine own inability to properly press keys. Pixel perfect I Want to Be the Guy type stuff is brutal, but fair. Something you have chance to survive whatsoever, unless it furthers a plot point, not so much.

23. noom says:

Thinking back to my game-playing youth, I can safely say that I just accepted what a game threw at me as part of the challenge; fairness didn’t come into it. An example that springs to mind is a game I had on the ST called Battlemaster. Each level included instant death pits that were invisible until you stepped on them. That’s the kind of game design that would nowadays have shutting a game down in disgust never to play it again. Back then I just accepted it as an obstacle that needed to be overcome.

And considering I used to play that entire (fairly sizable) game without making use of the in-between-level saving ability, I’m left slightly alarmed by my 5-year-old self’s tenacity. Where the hell did that go..?

24. Helm says:

The interesting thing in AW’s unfairness is that through trial-and-error you overcome it and in no other way. This seems to indicate that if you’re teleported off to a distant planet you’re basically fucked in most Quantum Universes but in the one or two where they’ve developed the necessary Quantum Mechanics to be able to peer into the results of actions in the multiverse, you will thrive!

25. Bioptic says:

I’m amazed that no-one else has even mentioned Chahi’s true followup to AW – Heart of Darkness! It was utterly panned at the time, being a really low-res 2D game coming out in 1998, but retains an awful lot of the cinematic aspirattions of Another World. The animation’s still really striking, and whilst it was just as nobbling in the difficulty department (and now longer to boot) it’s still just as worthwhile to play today as AW is.

26. Radiant says:

Another World is brilliant because it achieves what it sets out to do perfectly.
    Whether you like what it is, is a matter of personal choice.

The only thing I could think of to make it /more/ better, to minimise the trial and error would be to show you someone dying horribly by each trap before you do.

But that would lessen the sense of isolation and another world-ness of the game.

So yeah it’s pretty much a perfect game.

27. Radiant says:

Also how was flashback made by completely different people?
    I LOVE that fucking game too.

28. somnolentsurfer says:

My dream: The Longest Journey: 15th Anniversary Edition. Only now.

29. KilgoreTrout XL says:

You have to wiggle the joystick back and forth in order to kick the monster in the balls.

Hope that helps.

30. jackflash says:

It could be frustrating, but it’s still one of my favorite games of all time. Emotionally, I can’t think of another game other than Planescape: Torment that made me feel like I had been through such a great amount within the confines of the gamespace. I really yearned for more during the final scene.

31. Robomutt says:

Gil Megidish has done “pure Javascript implementation. No plugins, no ActiveX, no Flash” of Another World. That’s cool in itself if you’re interested in The Future of Game Programming. Clicky and go here for it.

32. Mario Figueiredo says:

It’s also important to place Another World in its timeline context.

This is a game with graphics immensely beautiful for the time (1991), with cinematic features (almost unheard of back then) and with a character animation that I’ve had only seen in one game that I can remember: prince of persia. It’s possible that I’ve seen that animation in some game or another, but I can’t seem to recall. In any case that’s not the most relevant bit.

Adding to that, what I seem to think is the most relevant think to keep in mind is that many games were back then designed to take our time. Certainly because of technological limitations too, but we gamers were used to it. RPGs (like Eye of the Beholder, for instance) demanded us to draw the map on paper. I cannot even start to think how on earth we could put with that. But we could and these are games we cherish for life. So, a game like Another World came at a time that we were pretty much sort of OK with trial and error, while at the some time do things in the art department that were pretty much unheard of.

I distinctly remember the first echoes of trial and error criticism coming to me from the mainstream media right about the time of “Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis”, one year later. I think these two games (Another World and this) were some of the last of their kind. Then the criticism started. I think games like this were being called pixel-finder or pixel-precision games in a derogative manner. But only for newcomers. All that was passed was still highly regarded.

A game like Another World today would be met by the most absolute scorn (unless it was indie, since indies can pretty much get away with anything, really). Not only that, but trying to play Another World today will have many of us leave to do better things just after a couple of minutes into the game. But back then? Wow… I’d happily draw game maps with a pencil and paper. Heck I would even illustrate them! And Another World would come to consume me for maybe a full month before one day I finally finished it.

• Risingson says:

Now you say “Eye of the Beholder” and “Fate of Atlantis”, which still are very user-friendly (I actually was playing EOB2 this weekend and still holds up pretty good), but think about the other famous RPGs back then, like Dragon Wars, the Bards Tale series, Bloodwych, Dark Heart of Uukrul, the Dungeon Master games, Captive, Amberstar… The Ultimas… Or think about the platformers made after, like, let’s say, all that were in 16-bit consoles. Think about flight simulators and space simulators.

ALL of them asked you for time, paper, and many hours to learn the basics of the game. And Another World is still one of the more forgiving of them all. I mean, have you tried the first Prince of Persia lately? Not the second, which is nearly impossible, but the first.

33. realmenhuntinpacks says:

Do I remember correctly that the character’s name was lester? Where have I got that from if not? This game was probably the crest of a high and beautiful wave for me, never reached again due to growing up and that. Just perfect… I’m so choked up with fond remembrances I can barely type or think. Never have I had such tender feelings towards a grey, squishy skinhead in a singlet.

• CHR says:

No that’s right the name of the character is Lester Chaykin

• realmenhuntinpacks says:

Ah good, seniltiy hasn’t completely claimed me then. More badly-dressed-nerdily-monikered-ginger-scientist protagonists please, world.

• Spacewalk says:

All he needs is a crowbar and spectacles.

34. The Great Wayne says:

Fantastic game, remember playing it back then and having a blast despite the difficulty.

As many have said, while we were used to that kind of challenge when it came out (who remembers playing space ace or dragon’s lair on arcade consoles ? if credits weren’t so cheap at the time I could have sold a kidney to fund my afternoon playing those), there was something to it that wasn’t game killing. Maybe because the game (along with many other ones of this era) was a masterpiece and therefore completely worth the hassle.

Maybe it’s a simple case of nostalgia, but I find myself far more easily bored in today’s “easy” games than I was playing old “hard” games like AW or Ghost’n Goblins, especially in the arcade/action genre. Dunno, it’s less rewarding and less driving, I guess. It’s probably also the reason I’ve been playing EvE for 3 years and I’m currently toying around with dwarf fortress… Yeah, there definitely must be a masochistic pattern here.

35. LionsPhil says:

“The Future of Game Programming”.

No sound.

Can’t even grab the keyboard properly, so pressing up/down scrolls the page.

Yeah, future me harder.

• Robomutt says:

Aaaah, I said “if you’re interested in The Future of Game Programming”. Doing things in pure Javascript as opposed to Unity or Flash fits in with the idea of video in HTML5 and all that stuff. So it’s one of the contenders for the whole browser based casual gaming future with embedded social networking micropayments and achievements facebook plugin future we all face. I’m not saying it’s any good :D

36. d00d3n says:

The unpredictable difficulty spikes is the most appealing aspect of the game as far as I am concerned. When we fail to understand a game in terms of the linear difficulty progression we are familiar with the initial phase of discovering the limits of the game is prolonged. Because this initial phase of discovery is often the most enjoyable time spent in any game, greatness ensues! (a short game like Another World can even be completed within this time frame)

I think many other games have used the same mechanism to great effect. The LBA games come to mind. A modern unorthodox example would be King’s Bounty: The Legend where the weird difficulty spikes definitely makes the game world seem larger and harder to get a grip on. Difficulty spikes was probably a great asset to Borderlands too.

37. Supertonic says:

Operation Stealth was better. Best Delphine game by far.

• Risingson says:

Well, if only it had fairly decent logical puzzles and a bit of context and sense of progression, it would be, yes.

Delphine didn’t know how to do adventures, really.

38. Diogo Ribeiro says:

I’m boycotting RPS and you specifically, John, for not letting me write something about the game first :(

39. syllopsium says:

There’s nothing wrong with trial and error provided it’s fun – and Another World isn’t. It’s ok for the game world to be unfair, but the same does not apply to the actual game.

The game it most closely resembles is not Prince of Persia, but Dragon’s Lair. Harsh words, perhaps, but it always felt like you had more control over your character in PoP.

After the start (which is actually quite fair, all things considered) it rapidly goes downhill. The prison escape sequence requires careful timing (with no external cues), precise placement and is not logically solveable. Additionally the checkpoints are frustratingly far apart.

It certainly set a benchmark in terms of graphics and dramatic presentation, but it fails badly as a game. I got to the part where you see over the alien city, then gave up as it was such a pain in the arse to play. Shmups are fairer than Another World.

40. MadMatty says:

Another World is one of my favourite games ever- its true that it has trial-and-error gameplay, and is quite short (my first playthorugh took me 7 hours i recall).
    The story and the graphic design is just incredible though, and i really felt “being there” while i played it.
    Its quite varied, with almost no sections looking like the others, and the death scenes were cool.