No Man Is An Island. That’s Cyclops: Isolated

By Kieron Gillen on April 26th, 2010 at 12:27 pm.

STRESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

Oh! Roburky’s gone and done a game, as part of the 205 (Count ‘em!) in Luddum Dare 17. It’s called Isolated, and you play a very nervous Cyclops trying to enter the social world. You interact by (abstractly) asking questions, making statements, and expressing your opinion on the other person. Continue until you’ve pissed everyone off and you have to return to your island, reduced to a nervous, exhausted wreck by the stress of the thing. In other words, a Being John Walker Sim. You can play online or download versions of it. And now, time for some Joy Division.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Auspex says:

I genuinely laughed out loud at this post!

Poor old John Walker…

2. Ian says:

I have no idea what’s going on in that game.

3. SpinalJack says:

The game is genius XD
    The trick is to find a lone Cyclops and agree to all his statements and then leg it back to the island as soon as things look a bit iffy. I managed to turn 3 people green towards me before everything went south. XD

4. Robert says:

Hmm, the game did not click with me. Awesome idea though.

5. Sagan says:

After a while I figured out how not to die. But then I didn’t know what to do.

Also if I had made this game, I would have made it such, that you can’t use the options as often as you want. So after a while you just stand in front of the other person and have no idea what to talk about.

• Dinger says:

Wow Sagan. That’s a pretty profound review. You could also use exact same words to describe a long-term relationship.

6. Mr_Day says:

I am clearly terrible at this, both trying out my own combinations or simply copying the ones other cyclops made left me fading away with everyone red. Kind of frustrating.

Still, if simply copying other people’s statements had worked, it means you gain acceptance by conformity. Is that what it was going for?

• Mr_Day says:

Oh god. It almost means you are judging your own value based on what everyone thinks of you. If that is true, I am fucked, and this game is simply a retelling of my life to date.

• Wulf says:

That’s exactly what I get from it. I yap about what I want to yap about, and I often have opinions that large groups of people will disagree with (Dragon Age is dull and uninspiring!), so I’ll never be a massively popular person. There is a balance though between being able to accept yourself as a person, being able to just say sod it and walk away if the crowd can’t deal with an opinion, and being compatible enough to meet one’s own quotas of socialising.

It’s a hard balance to strike, and sometimes there are large cliques that won’t accept you unless you buy into their opinions. That’s the price of the group: if you want in you sell yourself, assimilated into the whole, and therefore lessening your sense of individuality and one’s unique dreams in the bargain, out of it you get people to socialise with. You’ll get people who’ll sell their dreams and betray their sense of self to be part of a group because they’re needy and codependent, they’ll you’ll get curmudgeons like me who’ll happily piss large swathes of people off because of the simple understanding that not everyone can be completely compatible.

For that reason and many more, this game is actually quite, quite clever. I play it in the way where I make a few friends out of the cyclops that can accept my individuality, but I stay away from the large groups that would assimilate my sense of self and cast the bits they don’t like to the winds.

7. nine says:

Sorry, but the core game mechanic is boring as shit! I didn’t hang around to see if there was a point.

8. Dreamhacker says:

I am fucking Ibiza…

9. The Walker says:

This game made me sad. :(

10. gribbit says:

Can’t be certain, but it feels like each little critter has its own micro-personality. Some like to talk, some like to listen and ask questions. Almost none like getting a question after asking a question. Most seem most receptive to compliments after making consecutive statements. Few like a compliment off the bat. If that’s really the case, memorizing which little gray box is a “talker” and which is a “listener” is simply a nuisance.

Comment on this story