Bioshock 2 Metro Pack Priced

By Jim Rossignol on April 27th, 2010 at 10:25 pm.

Cult Of Rapture has some details on the forthcoming extras:

The Rapture Metro Pack is coming soon for Xbox 360, PS3, and Games for Windows Live for 800 MS Point or $9.99. The pack includes six brand new maps including areas rebuilt from the single-player game for MP modes. We also have three new achievements and trophies and have added the Rebirth Feature for players who have reached Rank 50 – using Rebirth, you can rank your character down to Rank 1 and receive a special mask.

Still no release date, however. (I have to admit I blasted through the single player, but didn’t bother to touch the multiplayer. Is it worth taking a look at?)

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Heliosicle says:

And I guess this is on the disk too?

I still really want to play this, but I’ve bought too many games…

2. Elstumpo says:

IMO the multiplayer sucks pretty bad. It feels stuck on, so I wouldn’t bother.

3. Legionary says:

This sort of stuff just reinforces the perception that multiplayer on consoles these days is just a way to make a cheap few quid through selling a few maps.

Perhaps not coincidentally, that blurb sounds a lot like they’re trying to appeal to the MW2 crowd: is “prestiging” really something we ought to accept, or just another way to force us to play the same old content over again?

• Heliosicle says:

but…special mask?

• The_B says:

Got to say it’s noteworthy that to get to level 50 in the first place, you have to get the first lot of DLC. So in fact, only those that have bought ALL the DLC so far will have access to that feature.

• qrter says:

It’ll all be worth it – I mean, a special mask!!

4. Mac says:

Always a good idea to split a small MP community …

• diebroken says:

Definitely a bad move. Another game that suffered for it was BF2…

• Heliocentric says:

Splitting one of the biggest communities at the time (battlefield 2) wouldn’t hurt as much as splitting a community with like 15 active players.

• blah says:

LOL – I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, perhaps both. I can’t wait till I get my shiny new Black Armor in NS2 (not a game-breaker…) :D

5. DodgyDave says:

Multiplayer isnt worth playing in its current state (theres supposed to be a bigass update coming). 30 fps locked frame rate and a sorta “jumpyness” about it all. There is a fun game underneath it all it just needs alot more polish.

6. rocketman71 says:

They can shove their paid disk-unlocked DLC for their GfWL, no LAN, no multiplayer really needed game up there, thanks.

7. The_B says:

The Multiplayer isn’t bad concept wise, but at many times it’s horribly laggy to play as it uses the GFWL matchmaking service – no dedicated servers. And rather stupidly many of the plasmids used in multiplayer, along with the weapons, rely on a stable connection to work. So currently it’s more a exercise in frustration and hard to truly recommend.

• The_B says:

(And by laggy because of no dedicated servers, I mean worse than MW2. At least with that you can always find people to play with, given it’s the most popular game on Steam. I’ve found it fairly difficult to get games on Bioshock 2 as quite often, no one seems to be playing it, and those that are must be on the other side of the world)

HermitUK says:

The lag was the real killer for me. Though it’s also annoying that the entire thing seems to be built on the Bioshock 1 engine instead of the second one – stuff like Mouse Acceleration was fixed in the BS2 single player but is still horrible in the MP.

Reminds me of Red Faction Guerilla as well. The MP on that was fun, but you were stuck with GFWL matchmaking and a tiny player base, and it simply died a death. Dedis make it a lot easier to support a small player base.

• Mr_Day says:

I’ve been wanting to try the Bioshock 2 multiplayer, but I had heard about the problems it had and decided to steer clear until they fixed it.
      It is quite worrying just how long the game has been out, and people still seem to be complaining about it.

8. Tim says:

Judging from the blurb, it sounds like this was cobbled together using a tiny amount of resources. Some of the maps being modified single player levels, a mask, and achievements. yay.

9. elguapo says:

LOL $10?!

So they want to charge you $10, a fifth of the original price of the full game, for some shiny “new” trinkets?

As long as people keep gobbling up this filth the industry RATS who decide to do this shit will continue to nickle and dime us while laughing all the way to the bank..

• Rich says:

Case in point: MW2’s ‘Stimulus package’ consisted of only 5 maps, two of which were just regurgitations of maps from CoD4, and cost $15.
      It was downloaded 2.5 million times in its first week.

Over $37million for almost no work. They just have to shovel out this slop and the morons will gobble it up. To an industry bastard it just makes good business sense.

10. Kryopsis says:

It’s rather ironic to see this article right above the announcement of the second free content update for Shattered Horizon. Incidentally, these days $10 can buy you several (!) games on Steam or Direct2Drive.

• Jad says:

Literally in the past week I have purchased Men of War for $2.50 from D2D, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom for $4.99 and GTA III for $2.49 from Steam, and Freespace 2 for $4.19 from GOG. How many hours of gaming did I just get for less than the price of one COD:MW2 map pack?

Now, of course, if I actually had enough time to play this bounty of gaming riches…

11. Tom says:

bioshock 2 wasa bit disapointing i thought
    the whole thing felt like it had been doneon a budget
    after B1 I’d have thought there’d be money seaping out of every pore

12. Bob says:

Paying for maps makes me sad :-(

• Rich says:

Remember when the odd map got thrown in with patches? Those were the days.
      At least Valve still keeps the faith (L4D notwithstanding).

13. GT3000 says:

I for one welcome our new corporate overlords. Seriously. They’re not that bad. If you don’t like paying for DLC, then don’t.

• jon_hill987 says:

The problem is that if you don’t pay then you can no longer play the multi-player of the game you have already bought without getting kicked when it changes to a map you don’t have, they might as well be charging a subscription to the multi-player part of the game.

• Heliocentric says:

Or the first dlc which means you are lower level with access to less and less powerful skills.

Imagine cod4mw2 bringing out dlc which means you can use 10 grenades but lose you main gun if you want, among other bullhockey skills. Sounds terrible right? Sounds like money to actard ceo’s. Difference is, 2K are doing it, actard have shown enough sense not to, wierd world we live in.

14. SirSpankalot says:

The MP is really bad… The design and ideas are just … “gray” but it’s the lag and extremely bad matchmaking that kills it.

15. Ashley says:

The multiplayer gameplay is actually really fun. It’s different to what is out there at the moment. It’s a shame it never really got the attention it deserved.

It is rather jumpy, player models seem to jump around the screen at times and the ragdoll physics are messy. People moan about lag but I never have any problems in killing people, there is just sometimes a big delay between me killing them and their character actually dying on screen.

Still, I wish more people would try it and not just write it off without playing as I bet most people did. Before it even came out people were saying “Im not interested in the multiplayer”. The gameplay is much deeper than games like MW2.

It’s got a really good atmosphere, kind of freakish. The maps are very well done too.

• jon_hill987 says:

It is a UE3 game, there should be no problem with the netcode. They broke it by writing their own system rather than using the UE3 dedicated servers which just work.

oceanclub says:

As mentioned, Bioshock 2 multiplayer could have been brilliant fun if it had been polished. Even in its current state, I spent a few happy hours playing it. But it’s too laggy and jumpy, looks shit (“plain textures + bloom” seems to have been the design memo) and has a weird zoomed-in FOV.

P.