Games Of Love Hate and Hate: Hatetris

By Kieron Gillen on April 27th, 2010 at 1:39 pm.

Hatetris is a splendid title. More games should feature the word 'Hate'. Like Rainbow Hatey Islands or the Secret Of Monkey Island (Everyone is a right shithead there, I hate them so).

Chris W saw this on BoingBoing last week. Hatetris is basically a game of Tetris which deliberately gives you the worst possible piece at any moment. And it really does. I just played now, and consider it a considerable triumph that I managed to get one (count it!) line. Play here. You can watch replays by people who are actually good, which you can get from here, plus the designer notes on it. I’ll be interested to see how well anyone else can do. Well done, creator Sam Hughes. You bast.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. MarkSide says:

nnnaaaAAAGH!

2. stahlwerk says:

Damn You, Shodan!

3. Robin says:

Sam’s fiction is also well worth your time. Fine Structure in particular is fantastic brain-fizzing superhero sci-fi. (Don’t read any of the comments or appendices first though!)

4. eoin says:

the fickle gods of Tetris…

5. Psychopomp says:

This is what I have to say to that: http://i40.tinypic.com/30to13q.jpg

6. Hodge says:

Should be noted that has been done previously by the wonderfully named Bastard Tetris.

From memory my all-time high score is two lines on that one.

7. Ian says:

Good gravy.

8. Auspex says:

I got 2.
    In your face Gillen!

9. MikeP says:

I managed 3.

The tricky thing is shaking that “I won’t put that there, I’ll hold out for a better piece later” mentality. It never happens.

10. Sarlix says:

Man it just gave me the same piece over and over again. I think it hates me. :(

11. Hexedian says:

It is an interesting concept, but most of the times, the worst piece is just an S or a Z, over and over. Always the same piece, which tetris normally does not do. I’d be interested in seeing at least a little random in the pieces that are handed…

• Kieron Gillen says:

Hexedian: Worth reading his designer notes and playing some of the replays to see how it works. If you’re playing “logically” one piece is always the worse. You have to start placing stuff in other ways, and then you see the full variety.

KG

12. Tomo says:

I hate Tetris as it is. That is truly infuriating. Don’t think I’ve played a game that’s induced so much anger in me.

13. merc says:

Managed 5 on my only try so far. Bastard machine!

14. Jesterrr says:

On my first go I scored 1. On my second I got 4. I could try and beat that but I feel that I could save myself a lot of time by just hitting myself in the head with a hammer. Should produce roughly comparable results I expect.

15. Rosti says:

I got a 3, but BOY do you have to unlearn all the Tetris knowledge. On the other hand, I rarely *hate* algorithms, so I’d say the game was a success.

/ragequit

16. Mr Labbes says:

This is a horrible game, although the “Hell Tetris” someone linked above is even worse.

17. Wulf says:

On my first playthrough, I got four lines, I guess that means I’m fairly terrible at this.

I only got four really because I used to like playing a version of Tetris where 75% of the board was seriously screwed up, the blocks dropped fast, and I had to think my way out of that with usually the worst shapes possible. And when things got boring, I’d just mess up the board again myself for entertainment’s sake.

For that reason I expected to do better than four. But oh well, c’est la vie!

18. Mr_Day says:

The Tetris God would be proud.

Sure that was posted here before, but always worth a repost.

19. brog says:

five lines, wooo!
    very tempted to write a program to beat it. pitting evil algorithms against evil algorithms.

20. Spliter says:

It would be better if actually there was any other figure than squigely and reverse squigely.

• brog says:

spliter: if you set things up so that S or Z would be useful to you, you’ll start seeing other blocks. it’s reputedly possible to get all seven block types, though I haven’t seen the T, L or 7 myself.

21. Dave says:

Finally, a game more masochistic than playing a pyro in TF2!

I played this four times. My scores were 3, 0, 0, and 0. Then I ragequit.

22. Patrick B says:

7 lines! woot!

23. mrpier says:

I’m too bad at Tetris to notice any difference…

24. clive dunn says:

Is there a leaderboard? I bet some lunatic has managed to get 999 lines.
    How about a RPS prize for the first reader to get 10?

25. Angurvaki says:

Four!

26. SpinalJack says:

Got 5

27. jon_hill987 says:

It just gives you the same S piece each time. That is not really very clever.

28. duel says:

here you go, here’s a neat way of getting it to spam you straight pieces. –

9DA6 A6AA AAAA 9EAA A9AA AABB AAAA AAAA A80A AAAA AAAA A2AA AAAA A9D6 699A AA76 AAAA AAAA 2AAA AAAA AA8A AAAA AA30 76AA AAA6 999A 676A 76A6 AAAA A76A AAAA B6AA AAAA CEAA AAAA A2AA AA8A AAAA A756 AA76 AAA8 9B56 AAA2 9AAA AAAA AAAA AA99 2A75 9AA4 0000 EAAA AAAA AAAA 302A AAAA AA83 02AA AAA8 0755 9AB6 AA9D 6AA7 55AA DAA0 3AA0 A799 5832 8AAA 9863 2CAA AA28 AAA0 88AA A256 A9AA 22AA 820A 2A82 AA02 8A88 1D75 576A

29. Iain says:

I know this is old and has been linked here before, but it seems appropriate enough for a re-post:

REVERSE SQUIGGLEY!

I’m pretty much convinced this is how Tetris actually works.

30. Wulf says:

I picked up an interesting trick, one that seems to fool Hatetris a bit, and I got 5 lines out of it. I might have gotten more, but I got nervous and made some particularly stupid mistakes.

Here’s the replay, if anyone’s interested!

AAAA AAA0 0AAA AAAA AAA0 8AAC A6A6 AAAA AA8A AAAA AAD9 AAAA AAAA B666 AAAA AAB5 556A AAAA AA90 15AA AAAA AD56 AAAA B000 02AA AABC AAAA A4AA B02D 9AAA AAB0 1D99 AAA9 AAB5 232A AAA9 AA32 2AAA AAAA D555 AAAB 66AA AA8C CAAA AAAD 5555 5AAA AB5A AAAB DA8A AAAA D4C2 AAAA AF00 00AA AAAA BAAA AFD5 9AAA AB5A AAAA 0FF8 FDDD AAA0 2AAA AB32 2AAA AD59 AAB5 AAAA C2AA AAD2 AAAC CD55 5556 AAAD 6AAB 0AAA 00CA AAAA ABF4 502A A759 AA0C 8AAA A

31. Iain says:

D’oh. That will teach me for not reading the comments thread first. :-S

32. Mr.President says:

Read the title as “Hatris”.

Was disappointed.