Deus Sex: DX10 Denton’s Three-Way Adventure

By Alec Meer on April 29th, 2010 at 5:30 pm.

Via the great Harvey Smith’s twittersome feedington, I bring news of an excellent graphical upgrade to the electric videogame for personal computer systems known as Deus Ex. It has made me want to purchase three monitors. Please stop me from doing this. Please.

This is the famous and oft-quoted introduction to DX. Mr Overactor, meet Mr Underactor:

This is it in DirectX 10, thanks to the newly-released DX10 renderer for the original Unreal engine, and the less new but still splendid New Vision texture pack:

And this is it in DX10 on three monitors, thanks to ATI’s eyefinity tri-screen thinger. You should really watch it in HD, but I’ll embed away for the lazies anyway.

Look at the width on that! I want it I want it I want it. Details on how to set it all up are right over here.

Better than kings. Mods.

, , , .

1. Garg says:

Get the hell out of here Denton.

2. robrob says:

Weird, I was just installing Deus Ex when this post appeared.

3. Tim Ward says:

It looks the same.

• Psychopomp says:

That’s what I was thinking…

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

what a shame

• ilurker says:

If you check the DX10 render’s page there’s some comparison screenshots. Some places it’s subtle, but a few it really jumps out.

Vandelay says:

It doesn’t look the same, but the difference isn’t as exciting as I was expecting when I read the post title. Just a sharper image and a larger number of colours used.

If they made better AI and improved weapon handling, then I would be more interested.

• rxtx says:

I think its the textures letting it down

4. tanni says:

The globe in the intro looks like a butt.

5. Orange Required says:

Old men… are the future.

6. Vague-rant says:

Still awaiting Deus ex HDTP… 2 years later. I wonder how close that is to release.

I approve of the pun, even if it’s not very punny.

(I shall stop now)

7. Magic H8 Ball says:

…brb, reinstalling

8. Jeeva says:

I guess it’s my turn to make this post:
    I was just watching the Eyefinity video, and then saw the other ones in the related column and watched them and now you are recommending I watch them!

What is this black magic!?

=)

9. Bob says:

“Look at the width on that! I want it I want it I want it.”

That’s what she said ;-D

10. faelnor says:

Desperate. Your turn.

11. Zwebbie says:

I think that texture pack does more harm than good. More detail =/= prettier and putting strong noise filters on everything is just distracting.

12. Lol says:

Desperate.
    Desperate.
    Desperate.
    Desperate.

Old men, running the world.

Chaz says:

The problem with these 3 screen setups of course, is that the picture is broken up by the borders of your screen, and thus it will never look as good as it does in that video clip.

14. Tei says:

3 monitors? pfff… only 3 monitors?

Obligator.

“Would someone tell me how this happened? We were the fucking vanguard of shaving in this country. The Gillette Mach3 was the razor to own. Then the other guy came out with a three-blade razor. Were we scared? Hell, no. Because we hit back with a little thing called the Mach3Turbo. That’s three blades and an aloe strip. For moisture. But you know what happened next? Shut up, I’m telling you what happened—the bastards went to four blades. Now we’re standing around with our cocks in our hands, selling three blades and a strip. Moisture or no, suddenly we’re the chumps. Well, fuck it. We’re going to five blades.”

15. Josh says:

The ultra wide makes it feel like you’re getting a behind the scenes shot. Outside the frame there’s nothing else going on and it makes the sets feel empty.

• Indraco says:

Yeah, I had to laugh when a scene of a packed meeting was suddenly turned into a small group of people packed strangely close together in a big room.

16. TotalBiscuit says:

and his three daughters

17. geldonyetich says:

You can’t do much for a game whose content was developed for the hardware of last decade.

• Tei says:

Thats what the corporations want YOU to think. But If I replace your brain by a positronic one, and I inyect you with nanomachines that will continiusly improve your body. Theres not limits whatsoever. Then the problem is.. Are you, still you?

The game started years ago. You think you are you, but in a 5 years period all your cells are replaced by new cells. You are not you.

• Vitamin Powered says:

It is possible though to put a certain level of future proofing into a game.

If the textures, art etc. are proceduraly modelled, for instance, upscaling to a higher resolution should be a breeze. Though many wouldn’t see an investment justification, modifying the underlying engine is also a possibility.

We are starting to see games released that do take into account forward technological progress; Crysis and the PC version of GTAIV spring immediately to mind. The problem of course is that they’re derided for this capability, as if it offends us that we can’t play the game on maximum settings.

I remember back in 1998 (I think…) when Unreal came out, with graphics that many machines a year or two on still had trouble with. Though, of course, 10 years on it wasn’t faring too well it’s true.

18. brkl says:

Lord I love that intro music. My heart starts beating faster every time I hear it.

19. Inigo says:

MY father used to say “slaughter… slaughter… slaughter…”
    He’s dead now.
    I like that.

20. drygear says:

With the three monitor setup it’s like Deus Ex: The Sergio Leone edition. Or at least it would be if everything was actually framed to use the widescreen. But it’s really not. Save your money, Alec.

21. Colej_uk says:

1. That’s terror.

22. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:

I am pretty sure some of Deus Ex levels are bigger than the ones in Call of Duty.

• ascagnel says:

I just finished replaying CoD2. Some of the levels in the British & American campaigns are pretty massive.

23. Optimaximal says:

Unfortunately, this is one of the reasons DX10 never really took off… It was mostly back-end tidying for performance but not noticeable difference on the surface.

So every publisher under the sun decided to cram hideously excessive and unoptimised effects on to justify it and dragged the frame rate back down to the gutter.

:sigh:

• Starky says:

Seconded – the whole point was to make games more stable, run better and have actual solid hardware standards backing it up.
      But no the industry just has to have it’s shinies.

I honestly though blame gamers as much as studios, all you ever heard when DX10 was coming around is “What graphical difference does it make?” “I can’t see any difference in graphics, DX10 sucks” and all that spouting. Gamers demanding that DX10 must have those shiny graphical features or it was pointless…

Though ATI and Nvidia makers taking 6 months+ to finally get their fingers out of their asses with their drivers didn’t help.
      But again, ATI and Nvidia suffer from the feature bolt on; more shinies for the stupid people disease too – there are still bugs in the drivers of both manufacturers that have been there for months – years in some cases. While each driver update gets a new (usually useless) feature bolted on.

It’s only now that the performance benefits of DX10+ is starting to show itself, of course they don’t mean much with the new fad of GPU intensive features.

Just look at Just Cause, there are about 5-6 options in that game that each eat about 5-6fps on a decent gaming rig (quad core, latest gen 1GB+ graphics) and add virtually no graphical difference – things you only notice if you actually compare screens side by side very closely.
      Yet when you turn them off, that marvel of an engine proves just how sweet a DX10 game can be performance, looking amazing and running really, really well.

• James T says:

There was also the small matter of it not coming out on XP.

mrpier says:

…or better than kings, gods!

Gotta love that delivery.

Stense says:

Thrice Ex. Interesting to see it embiggened so, but was it just me or did it seem to have the POV a bit off?

26. teo says:

Get PILLS against my orders!

27. Ushao says:

Welcome to the coalition, JC. I might as well start using coke.

28. Dreamhacker says:

Man, that video really highlighted how utterly shit and whimsical the story of DX2 was…

29. Anthony says:

Jesus that first cinematic was terrible. I’ve thought that from the first time I played this otherwise awesome, awesome game.

And not just because of the voices. It more or less points out exactly who the bad guys are and that Ambrosia is a tool for manipulation. Any interaction in the first bit of the game (until you join with the NSF) is coloured by the experience – and JC didn’t actually see it, which kills any concept of conspiracy.

I would have been happier if they’d just dropped you at Liberty Island and forgone the exposition beforehand.

30. Alexander Norris says:

I take it this is why Jonas was complaining about the Recut earlier. :P

It doesn’t even have the two greatest/most shit lines in Deus Ex, ever, which are “What a shame.” and “A BOMB!!”

31. Rond says:

I spill my drink!

32. sbs says:

Electronic Old Men

33. sana says:

“Newly” released???

34. Rich says:

I wanted orange!

35. lol says:

Every-time you mention Deus Ex, someone re-installs it.

36. Katsumoto says:

My dad used to say “slaughter… slaughter… slaughter… slaughter… I like that”

37. malkav11 says:

Watch the recut with Youtube closed captioning on.

38. sadf says:

Don’t forget about HDTP mod — that helps quite a bit too. Both HDTP and New Vision are still in development.

39. Fenchurch says:

I must admit I have been somewhat disappointed with.

UNATCO?

40. Fitz says:

You have no chance to survive, make your time!!!

41. geldonyetich says:

From this comment thread, you’d think people are more interested in the Deus Ex Malkavian Mod than the game itself.

42. Grandstone says:

@Anthony

I think I skipped the cinematic when I first played, which made a total mindfuck out of the big reveal when you escape from the Majestic prison.

Of course, Navarre and Gunther threw me in there, so it shouldn’t have been quite so surprising, but still …

Even then, it’s abundantly clear whom you can and cannot trust, and I wish DX had been even a little more ambiguous throughout.

43. jsutcliffe says:

Because I am a loser, I threw away my Deus Ex disc last week while cleaning out desk crap because I figured I’d never bother playing it again.

I want to play it again.

• Cynic says:

WHAT THE HELL, JC?

• sebmojo says:

It’s $5 on Steam, which is effectively free.

• MD says:

1. What a shame.
      2. I lost my disc a while back, and I’ve done so much desperate searching that I’m very cross with you right now for wasting one.
      3. If $5 is ‘effectively free’ then you have TOO MUCH MONEY and really should be sponsoring a child or something. (Another one, if you already are.)

• Gwyn says:

If $5 is too much money, then you should consider getting a job. ;)

• MD says:

‘Not free’ != ‘too much’. (>^.^)>

More importantly though, does anyone here know whether the Steam version has been altered in any way that affects mod compatibility?

44. Marshall says:

This is weird. I JUST finished replaying DX. Took a lot longer than I remembered, but then again, when it came out, I didn’t have a job to split my time with.

Incredible game, of course, but I did notice myself giving the AI, among other things, a huge free pass out of nostalgia. I’m hoping beyond hope that the new game shows even a glimmer of the brilliance of the first.

45. Lukasz says:

only for windows 7?

46. Snall says:

Weapon handling? The weapons were if anything TOO easy to use…

47. dartt says:

UNATCO?

48. karry says:

“Look at the width on that! I want it I want it I want it.”

Uh, why ? Widescreen is one of the most useless modern fads.

49. The Dark One says:

Widescreen works if the game is built for it. As you can see in that comparison video, things placed too close to the camera get horribly deformed as they move to the edge of the frame and the extra space just increases the staged feel of the cinematic.

That doesn’t mean that it’s not helpful when a game is made with it in mind.

• Thants says:

It may have been a mistake to use a cinematic as the example. The actual game-play is based around being able to look anywhere, so it shouldn’t have the same problem. And Deus Ex has hardly any cinematics anyway.