Guild Wars 2 Interview Part 2: A Major Event

By Kieron Gillen on April 29th, 2010 at 6:00 pm.

Yesterday, we talked to Eric Flannum about the combat and character systems. Today, we move onto its focus on its dynamic world and its personalised stories. And it’s in these areas that, at least for me, that Guild Wars 2 is most exciting…

RPS: Fantasy games were thick on the floor when Guild Wars came out. It’s only got more obvious ever since – what do you hope about Guild Wars will appeal to people who are a little burned out on the concept?

Eric Flannum: First off, the main things which attracted people to Guild Wars 1 originally was a lack of monthly fee. The fact that people used to dismiss GW1 as “not really an MMO”, but pretty much nobody can say that now. We’ve got all the features which a standard MMO would have. In addition to that, the look of the game – I think – is something you can’t find anywhere else. Our artists have done a great job in creating a world which isn’t trying to be photorealistic, but is very painterly and has a lot of style and will take you to some places you’ve never seen before in games. That sort of fantastic element. Our artists have turned it up a notch.

RPS: I actually still have the Guild Wars 2 concept art book within reach of where I’m sitting. What about the game elements?

Eric Flannum: In so far as the way the game plays, our event system combined with our personalised stories are a huge deal for us. Guild Wars 2 offers an experience that I don’t think you can get in any other MMO out there – at least, I’ve never had this experience in any other MMO. The way the event system works, and because we have dynamic content scaling and all that, it allows you to play the game solo – like a lot of western players like to do – but… why play a multiplayer game if you’re going to play solely by yourself? At the same time, we understand that a lot of people sometimes don’t feel like grouping with a lot of people and talking to them. The thing you can do in GW2 – and the event system is a large part of that – is you can go out and play the game, and not group – or even really talk – to someone, and still get the feeling you’re playing the game with a bunch of other people.

You’re doing teamwork. It feels like it’s a co-op game more than anything else. We’ve taken a lot of pains to make sure that when you’re out in the world, your first thought isn’t “Oh no – I’ve got to compete with those players for spawns” or “I’ve got to compete with these players for this quest I’ve got to do”. It’s “Hey – cool! More players! We can help each other”. In our system, all players are given common, shared goals instead of having their own goals. So, it’s really a different experience. It’s kind of like when you play a good co-op shooter, and you go in, and you’re possibly not even on voice-comms with the guys you’re playing with… but you feel as if you’re co-ordinating with them. Most MMOs don’t really have that at all, and almost none of them have it in PVE gameplay. And GW2 really has that, and it encourages the real MP nature of an MMO more than most MMOs do.

RPS: Could you make an actual example of what you mean by that?

Eric Flannum: We were playing in the human starter area. There’s an event where bandits are attacking these large pipes that bring water into the town. If players fail the previous event, the pipes get destroyed – and now workers are coming in to attempt to repair them… and the Bandits will attack the workers. I kind of wandered up to this area by myself, without any preconception of what was up there… and I noticed the waterpipes were all busted and broken, and there’s some peasants working and then there’s a couple of players defending. I join in and help them do this. I didn’t have to take a quest – I explored, found this situation which required some heroic intervention and went up there. Because we have dynamic scaling in the event, what happened was that there were 3-4 of us defending, so the bandits would come in waves of 4-5 per attack. Eventually, as this thing went on – because you can see these burning waterpipes from quite far away on the map – other players started getting attracted, and coming over. And then there’s a dozen players, and the game’s now spawning attacks of 20 bandits at a time. It’s getting super-huge and epic. All of this came really naturally from me exploring in the world, and eventually I’m co-ordinating with some other players which are putting down area effect spells which are healing everyone, and I’m crippling guys who are coming in to try and attack the worker … without being in a group or talking. It all happens naturally.

RPS: That strikes me at the key difference between this and people like Warhammer who dabbled in Public Quests – the fact that they’re responsive to the number of players there. If it works, it shouldn’t matter how busy the area of the world is, yes?

Eric Flannum: The Dynamic content scaling is huge for us. It was one of the things we anticipated we needed, because at different times of your game, your population is going to wax and wane, so you’re going to get times when there’s just one person in your area and they have to be able to do things, but you’re also going to get a time when a guild gets together and you’ll have 10-20 people in an area. You have to keep things interesting, for all these different groups of people.

RPS: What about the personalised stories? What do they add?

Eric Flannum: We wanted to really give you a sense of who your character is. Basically, character creation has a portion of it where you can define your character’s background. What your hopes are, what your fears are, who you are as a person – the sort of thing you may see in other single player fantasy RPGs. When you start a character you’re not just an aimless warrior who’s part of some race, who maybe knows a bit of your racial backstory. Normally, you don’t really know who you are as a character, and we try to bring that in. Since we know the background that you’ve set for yourself, we change the story in response to that. So you and I may start as human warriors… but I may have said mine is born on the street and yours may be a noble. Our stories are going to start out very different. And more than just starting out – we carry that through to the whole story. You also make choices during the story which impact on what content you’re going to see and the fate of certain NPCs and all that kind of thing. We really try to personalise the story for everybody who plays it.

RPS: In terms of a lot of that world-responding-to-character and dynamic world stuff… well, Conan wasn’t able to sustain quests that put the player into dynamic, personally-involving situations past its extended tutorial. It ceased to be fresh, really. How are you going to avoid that?

Eric Flannum: One of the things is that… so other games who’ve tried to do that kind of thing haven’t taken it all the way through the game. There’s a couple of things we do to keep players from burning out. There are 1500-1600 events – I haven’t counted, but that range of number. Other Games get into this rhythm where you have to “kill 10 of these” then you know it’s going to be a “Kill 30 of them”… but our event system has a lot of different things which you can do. I mentioned earlier about the bandits attacking the water-pipe? In that same area, there’s also these big bird herd animals – there’s some really silly events like gathering apples for a local farmer. There’s a farmer whose crops are being eaten by rabbits, who you chase and try to corral. And then you’ve got big epic centaurs attacking the local fort. The thing which keeps it fresh is that you never quite know what state the map is going to be in. Before when I mentioned it, the bandits had knocked out the water-pipes and currently the bandits were attacking the workers. It’s possible that when I walked up that the pipes would be under-attack from the bandits. Or it could be that the pipes were fine and there were no bandits, and the NPCs were all at ease… so I’ll wander through there and go to another area. No matter where you’re going – even if you’ve been to an area – you may never know what’s around the next corner. You may find something really unexpected.

RPS: How unexpected?

Eric Flannum: Some events are triggered by players, and are almost Easter-eggy. There’s one where if players kill the deer in the forest then one of the predators who are used to feeding on the deer will come out and attack one of the villages. That’s not going to happen unless players are active in the area. Just by the actions, or the times of day, whether it’s day, whether it’s night, whether players were defeated at certain events… there’s lots of things which can happen in an area. Our game is really pretty dense with content. That’s the key. Things constantly changing. A world that feels like it’s alive. You never know what’s around the next corner. That way we can help the game not static, not fall into the particular rhythm.

RPS: Are you mainly trying to appeal to MMO players, or new players or…

Eric Flannum: We’re trying to appeal to all the players, really. In addition to us pushing the social nature, at the same time we talked about personal storylines. Our goal with that is to sort of give them the sense they’re playing a really good traditional RPG. We want to appeal to anyone who’ll play a PvE game, anyone who’ll play a fantasy game, anyone who’ll play something with RPG elements. We want to appeal to a lot of different play styles.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

We’ll be bringing you more news on Guild Wars 2 as its development continues, I suspect.

, , , .

1. Choca says:

I really hate the fact that I’m getting excited about this game.

• Aganazer says:

I feel terrible about this as well. I was just working up a good hate for all MMOG’s and then I started reading these interviews.

• Mungrul says:

I swore blind that the original had burnt me out on MMOs forever; I put well over 3,500 hours into it.
      But some of the things they’re saying about GW2 are the things I’ve always wanted in an MMO, and I saw the germination of such ideas in the first game.
      And now I just know I’m going to end up with more Arenanet Collector’s Editions. Dagnabbit.

2. Tei says:

You mean this game has eyecandy AND braincandy. Great!..
    This going to be epic :-)

3. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Warhammer Online’s public quests seem ridiculously primitive compared to this.

• Pani says:

They were definitely a stepping stone (albeit an important one) for a needed system such as this.

I arrived in the world of warhammer online about 6 months too late (due to the birth of my first child) and as much as I was looking forward to the PQs, I was extremely disappointed. If GW2 can pull it off, you may find me in my first MMO since warhammer.

4. Severian says:

Yes, I really feel as if I am part of the target audience here. I love the idea of an MMO where I can just jump in to play (without coordinating some complex social event with “friends”), randomly encounter another couple players, help them out with some quests, and then maybe move on to do stuff on my own. Also: no monthly fees – the reason why I bought and played the first one.

5. Bob says:

I’m starting to look forward to this now, all sounds good so far!

Is there going to be weather in this one? Or just the odd bit like in gw1 which felt really rubbish

• Taverius says:

There was also the odd area in GW1 – especially the original – where the art department let down and the scenery got very dull.

Anyway, I can honestly say I’m excited by this.

I hope the endgame doesn’t get boring on me like GW1 did … most of that was down to finding the required number of good players for the endgame quests, though, so the scaling should solve most of that.

I also really, really hope they still have those out-of-the-way outposts on the map you wont be brought to by quests and have to find by exploring. I loved to find a high spot and watch the world go by.

• Wulf says:

I don’t know whether it helps or not, but I’ve been following pretty much every interview and bit of information released, and I remember reading in one interview that they’d updated their engine a lot for this game, and that one of the things they were proud of were things like how the day/night cycles worked and the varied sorts of weather an area can have.

6. Sobric says:

Obligatory fuck yes

KG, I like that you pushed him a bit more for answers. I’m still not completely sold on the system (I feel, for example, that if you have too many people fighting to bandits, then the increased spawn on bandits may make it too hard – but then that’s a question of number crunching rather than content).

I should say, however, that I’m very glad they are thinking along these lines. Could GW2 be the first in a hypothetical wave of “2nd Generation” MMOs?

7. postx says:

I don’t like mmos but I might try this.
    It feels natural, how I get involved in quests, events… instead hundreads of ppl running towards an npc like it’s a home delivery servic mmo. One thing I really want to applaud them is the approach to the traditional good RPG.

8. Lobotomist says:

This sounds simply amazing. Such change is so welcomed in stale MMO genre.
    I can wait to play this game.

9. undead dolphin hacker says:

Someone needs to make an MMORPG where you don’t have to actually group in order to group with players.

GW2 sounds like it’s doing this (I think?) with the fact that if you participate 100% in any fight, you’ll get 100% of the fight’s XP value (and so will anyone else who was there for 100%).

10. Magic H8 Ball says:

The artwork is excellent, but in-game it’s Generic Fantasy 101, complete with ridiculous bloom.

• Wulf says:

Hmmm… did you see the Races of Tyria video? It really only seems to be all generic fantasy for the human starting area, because humans are very generic and they’re not exactly designed to be a very challenging race on any level.

However, the Charr have a vastly different look which is all dark and industrial, and not like anything I’ve ever seen in an MMO, the Asurans have floating pyramids, and that intrigues me. So I’d venture to say that it’s not all generic fantasy, the Charr seem to defy that just by existing.

Well, that’s just my opinion, anyway, which might not be worth much in the grand scheme of things. And I doubt I’d convince you otherwise, but considering the Charr and the Asura, it is a bit unfair.

11. The Great Wayne says:

This definitely looks much more interesting than that other incoming mmo, y’know the one with lightsabers in it… :P

Seriously though, ANet have so far proved to be a very good studio. I’m pretty confident they’ll do something worth playing with GW2.

12. Xurathar says:

I’ve played Guild wars for 2 or 3 years, before leaving it and entering WoW(like almost everyone at that time did, at least in my guild).

I only have to say something: I WANT TO PLAY THIS, and… Diablo 3. :).

P.S: Starcraft 2 gets in the wishlist, but it’s earlier in it.

13. Namos says:

Sounds promising, but I can’t help wonder how well this’ll work in later stages of the game’s life. Are players going to feel all heroic and go help the poor pipes when they know it gives them measly rewards?
    Mind you, the no subscription fee business gives GW2 a much bigger advantage MMOs in this regard, given how it’ll attract players.

• kout says:

Well, he did say that quest was in human start area, so probably not.

14. Andrige says:

I don’t have time to play any MMO right now and the subscription fee from WoW is really preventing me from even wanting to play it again (among many other things). Guild Wars 2 however sounds just like the game I want to play. The equal footing in battlegrounds, more focus on story (if this really carries through) and variety; this is the kind of stuff I want at least.

15. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I’m trying not to get excited by this.. and I’m not, not yet. But it sounds promising.

For the moment, however, I remain sceptic. All too often the stories developers tell of what their game is going to be are like so many castles in the sky.

• Mr Labbes says:

It’s sad that I keep thinking of Mr. Molyneux when reading that.

16. InVinoVeritas says:

A GW2 article with 16 posts and none from Wulf? Maybe someone should go check on him and make sure he’s ok…

17. ossi says:

They just have to balance that participance properly so can’t like hit once or twice and get the experience. And also healers could get tricky. How much you need to heal someone to get the exp or if they seem to block, dodge etc. making them keep all their health can you still heal them just in case to get exp. Or do you actually have to try to kill the enemy with your not so good attack skills? Hopefully the skills you get from equip are decent enough for healers aswell.

Actually this equipped items giving skills might make me actually want to play healer. Need to make dmg? Equip smiting rod or staff. Want to actually heal someone? Use healing staff. Want something in the middle? Use smithing rod and healing off-hand. Seems better than the original system as you could change your build without getting back to town. This would actually make you useful in different situations and events that game will have. Different gear for solo and different for moments where there is a lot of people.

Also I’d actually would like to see more options that just plain goody good. Why not let me kill the workers fixing the pipes and give me possibility to do some more dirty work for the bandit boss. This would probably need some sort of pvp area though. It wouldn’t even need to be open pvp. The pvp could come from those events and by choosing a side to help.

Hmm.. Went little off the topic from the original post but my mind keeps flowing.. :)

• ossi says:

supposed to be reply for undead dolphin hacker about the participance.

• Wulf says:

That’s a very interesting post, ossi!

I think that the goody-good will mostly be confined to the Human and the Sylvari, the Norn will have their own sort of hardy “good” which will be a little out-of-the-left-field, so to speak, and I imagine that by comparison both the Charr and the Asura will be very questionable (as a contrast).

That’s what I think, based on my knowledge of the lore, but I could be wrong.

18. Bluebreaker says:

hope it gets out soon, I cannot handle so much hype. xD

19. Serenegoose says:

That interview. It was like the guy reached into the MMO segment of my brain, and tazered it, and now I’m incomprehensible and froth is spilling from my fingers with glee.

So naturally, I post comments on RPS.

20. Ansem says:

Agreed. I really want this to be good, and it sounds good, but I’m worried about getting caught up in the hype train. Fingers crossed it’s as great as it sounds though.

21. Dark Star says:

If all this is true, then this is gonna be the best game ever made, this wait is killing me ><

22. WiPa says:

I got pretty excited while reading that. That doesn’t usually happen to me.

I like the idea of the Mount and Blade-esque starting questions, as that was one of the features i liked most from that particular game.

23. kout says:

I do have to wonder… how often will events like that will occur? It kind of loses the charm once you’ve repelled the bandits thirty nine times.

• Wulf says:

Hm, point. I would posit though that the idea is that you won’t be in one area for long enough to get bored of the content. They’re packing in content so you’ll be moving from area to area before you can get bored, and there’ll be no grinding to keep you in any one location. That’s how it was in Guild Wars 1 with the missions, too.

So… it might only be a problem if grinding were present, yeah? But from everything they’ve said they still have their anti-grind philosophy.

24. Wulf says:

I’m so happy about everything I’ve read in these interviews. I think I even saw a description of ecology there, a hunter-prey relationship between animals with ramifications for over-culling. If that’s a common thing, then… ecology, hooray! \:D/

I had heard whisperings of ecology in Guild Wars 2 before though (as I mentioned elsewhere) but I wasn’t sure whether to believe them. I guess my sources were right. I’m overjoyed at that.

So, I can take my raggedy Charr to a nearby bar, engage in a brawl, go on a bit of an adventure, watch animals behaving as they should, fluidly engage in some fun questing, and… well, that sounds like a living world to me. That’s a first for an MMORPG, isn’t it? In fact, the very first.

If anyone was going to not only revitalise, but completely rethink and overhaul the MMORPG, retrofitting it with risky wonders that most would fear to try, it had to be ArenaNet. More than anyone, it had to be them.

Good game, ANet. Keep it up.

• Choca says:

Actually the whole “animals behaving as they should” part has been done by the short-lived-then-brought-back-from-the-dead-only-to-be-shot-in-the-back-of-the-head-then-put-on-life-support Ryzom.

25. Serenegoose says:

Animal ecology = fine. Day/night, and weather, and I’m sold. I love the ideas of snowstorms, and rain, and fog. when I played GTA, I’d pretty much always play it during the night cycles of the game, just for the atmosphere, and then with the dim ambience of rain in my ears. Stalkers day/night added so much tension as the sun sets. Weather and day/night just really makes a game for me, in terms of immersion. My biggest graphical problem with warcraft was even that the nights weren’t ‘night’ enough for me.

I can’t be the only person who feels this?

• Mr Labbes says:

No, you are most certainly not alone. God knows that Oblivion and Morrowind did an excellent job with night and day cycles. Especially Oblivion, when guards were roaming the roads with lit torches, protecting you from harm. Awesome.

• Wulf says:

I totally agree.

I’m hoping that Guild Wars 2 will have dark nights in some areas, too. It’s always fun wandering in the dark, and never knowing what might leap out at you.

26. RawTheory says:

This is the only MMO I’ve ever considered supporting….

27. Vinraith says:

The dynamic world stuff sounds great on paper, though I suspect it will implode spectacularly when exposed to the inevitable player base full of jackasses and morons. I expect I’ll buy the game anyway, I got too much enjoyment out of GW1 and its attendant add-ons not to, but I also suspect I’ll be cursing the lack of heroes (Guild Wars’ customizable NPC party members, for those not in the know) and instancing the entire time.

• Wulf says:

Yeah, people being arseholes is the only thing that bothers me, too. Though I’m hoping the narrative, the large amounts of lore, and the rather serious tone of the game will turn some of those people off. A faint hope, yes… one of my previous favourite MMOs, Champions Online, was eventually flooded by griefers who’d do anything they could to make the lives of players miserable. Thankfully, one of the good things I can say about Cryptic is that their anti-griefer responses were as swift as possible, deadly, and definite, which sent a message to those who’d think about doing it. However, that was an exception rather than the rule, and the only thing that worries me about GW2 is that they won’t treat griefers with such importance.

Hey, Kieron, if you do another interview… could you ask about that?

As for the heroes, they’re sort of keeping that. There’s a companion system in GW2. Basically, you’ll have the ability to opt in or out of it. What happens is that if you opt for a companion, your power gets spread across yourself and your companion, whereas if you opt for no companion you get buffed up a bit in order to compensate for that. I’ll be opting for a companion because I think it’s a wonderful idea. It’s also my understanding that the companion character will be customisable in a very similar way to how the player is customised. So the same idea is there, it’s just a smaller party, two instead of six or eight.

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

Yeah, I know about the companion, but it’s not really the same thing. Personally, I really enjoyed the idea of crafting four character skill and attribute sets that were as complimentary as possible and, later, in the game, customized to a given situation. It added a layer of strategy that I’ve never seen before in an action RPG, and kept me hooked on the game for much longer than I would have continued playing if I was only allowed a character (or two). That GW2 is doing away with the party designing/building/management aspect of the game is my greatest disappointment about the direction they’re taking GW2 in. As I said, there’s almost no way I won’t buy GW2, GW1 was simply too much fun for too long for me to overlook a sequel, but I find it hard to believe they’ll add anything to the game that will make up for that loss.

• Wulf says:

Fair point, Vin.

Though you might be interested in what they’re doing with character combos. it’s in one of the links of the news thread I created. Basically, tactics will happen with groups of players. For example, if an Elementalist casts Wall of Fire, and then a Warrior uses Cyclone Axe, the Warrior skill will actually fan the flames and extend the damage. Apparently there are hundreds of combos of the sort. So the strategy will be in what the players choose to cast and their timing. A good combo could make all the difference.

• Vinraith says:

@Wulf

That’s a neat idea, would have been spectacular with heroes actually. When limited to other players, though, it’s just going to result in a lot of “why aren’t you carrying the skills that compliment my skills you retard n00b!!!111″ more often than not, I suspect. Then again it’s not really like PUGs can get any more unpleasant than they already are, it’s just that in GW1 I never had to play with those people.

28. bill says:

THis dynamic world seems a little like the one I imagined MMOs would have, and was suggesting about 5-10 years ago when hanging out on the first Warhammer MMO message boards (before it got canned).

I always figured they could split the world into zones and have stats for each zone. So killing all the wolves in one zone would stop them spawning there, but increase the chance of them spawning elsewhere.
    Then they could spawn random “blips” and have them roam the world (space hulk style), only being resolved into creatures/parties when they come within range of players.
    Then they could have these blips interact. So if a random orc blip happens to pass close to a random wolf blip then they join into a wolf rider blip. And if several blips join together then they form into either a rampaging warband that heads for the nearest city, or an enemy fort blip with it’s composition determined based on the random elements.
    Players might discover this fort blip, when it’d be resolved. Or they might not so it’d grow over time into an enemy fortress.

You know, I still feel like MMOs have yet to capture the promise they had when they first started to appear. Most MMOs these days play like MMOs, but they don’t play like what I imagined MMOs would play like at all. sigh.

29. The Hammer says:

I wonder how many people will be like me when this comes out, and use it as their Other MMO.

It sounds fantastic, although it’s one of those things that, to my eyes, looks too good to be true – or if it is true, implemented in a satisfying way that doesn’t quickly lose its novelty.

A more niche concern certainly, but I wonder how RP will be supported in this game. In the original GW, the way the chat channels worked meant that there was very, very little scope for it.

“So you and I may start as human warriors… but I may have said mine is born on the street and yours may be a noble. Our stories are going to start out very different.”

See, while this is exciting (One of the best aspects of Dragon Age was that you genuinely felt like you were partly judged on race and background, and if that carries through here it’ll be brilliant), there’s no word on whether the players themselves will be encouraged to react to each other differently.

Obviously, most of the onus for that kind of thing is on the players themselves, but I do wonder if ArenaNet is considering RPers in the development of GW2.

Regardless, this is a definite purchase for me.

• Wulf says:

I’d say the onus is primarily on the player. Aside from providing social locations (which they are) and an IC/OOC flag, what else can they do?

What I’m getting at here is that all roleplay is instituted by a group of willing performers. There’s no real way to enforce or even aid any kind of roleplaying, it has to be a mutually agreed past-time. I’ve had one or two people sit down for a tabletop game and who’ve refused to roleplay properly, my only two choices in reality are to try and cleverly work around it or tell them to go away.

In Champions Online, there’s a thriving roleplaying community but this was entirely put together by the player-base. There isn’t even an indicator of IC/OOC. There’s just one social location which roleplayers picked to gather in and roleplay. I imagine the same will be true for Guild Wars 2. But really, there’s not much that anyone can do about roleplay. Whether it happens or not is entirely up to the player.

If two particularly well armed warriors meet, they won’t automagically know the background of the other person, and thus they’ll have to talk about it, and where they go from there is up to the players, just as it was with Champions Online and covering the origin of their character.

30. ERICtheESKIMO says:

I think all the races will be the goody-good in their own way. For example, a Charr player might not be as compelled to help the human pipe workers, but they would definitely save Charr pipe workers in the Charr homeland.

The only problem I see with giving a choice as to whether you can be good or not (i.e. being able to kill/save the workers) would be the PvP aspect of forcing people to choose sides. Not only would this (possibly) disrupt the “social” aspect of gaming (that is, joining together for a common cause), but it would also open up the oppurtunity for higher level players to travel to lower-level areas to dominate one side (and ruining a new player’s first experinece in GW2). For these reasons, I highly doubt they will give a choice as to being good or evil in GW2. :)

31. San Darkwood says:

Fantastic interview, it is great to have more info about the dynamic content scaling and the world quests. I am wondering however, if a tree falls in a forest, and no-one is there to hear it, does it make a noise?

In other words, will these events happen if there is no-one there to join in? will you eventually find a small settlement that has been burnt to the ground, because no-one was around to stop the bandit party from destroying it?

32. Joseph says:

Did they have an Oceanic server for GW1? Or was it acceptable playing from Aus?

Wichtel says:

I played with some Aussies on a European server and i never noticed them having problems.

• San Darkwood says:

yeah, the global position of the server tends not to have much of an effect on speed. The only things effecting speed is the amount of people on that server, and the speed of your connection

34. Chris says:

What you are referring to has been talked about in interviews elsewhere, but for the life of me I can remember where they were.

They spoke about a human keep being besieged by centaurs, where a player would normally be asked to assist in defending it. But the player might get there after the event has triggered and find the keep in the centaurs possession, and instead trigger the next event in the chain, which would be helping a nearby garrison in reclaiming the keep from the centaurs. Alternatively the centaurs may not have won the initial raid, and the players would just come across a keep surrounded by dead centaurs. Or perhaps, the event may not have triggered at all, and the player would notice a thing.

I can’t remember how much my shoddy memory is adding or taking away from that, but I swear I’m not making *most* of it up :)

• San Darkwood says:

so I suppose if there are no players to help with the event and the centaurs win, there will always be something to do when you eventually find it.

(if you remember where the interview is, please post it)

35. Chris says:

doh, above post was in reply to san darkwood

36. Zel says:

Sounds like a great system. :)

However how about when you get the morons that just run up to the event and then don’t participate? More enemies would spawn and the people fighting wouldn’t be able to cope because not everyone is actually helping out.

• San Darkwood says:

Eric, in the recent Q&A on the Arenanet blog stated that the system is “designed to give no credit or lower credit to players who were AFK during an event or just did a fly-by, using only a few skills and moved on.”
      I imagine that the dynamic scaling will be based on who is actively part of the event, and will not include leechers.

37. Koryu says:

I read, that they left it out of the game intentionally to give the players choices that would be considered as “not heroic”, because they want the character to feel like a hero, not like a villian.

Anyone in for Guild Wars 2: Villians Expansion?

38. Subhater says:

I bought the first game, didn’t play it too much.. the combat was boring and the instancing made it seem shallow.

This one looks to rectify that – I’m gonna buy it anyway, just out of principle to support developers who refuse to implement sub fees.

39. DontKnow DontCare says:

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS TO ME?

sorry… they just keep getting more hyped up about the game…
    In the end, im going to end up getting the game probably a year from now
    Imagine that. Waiting for a whole year in which they keep releasing more interviews
    and more classes getting you more and more excited.

I mean, the event system sounds like a great idea. 1500-1600 events so far plus normal
    quests and the storyline itself.

You will also have a whole world to explore, personal story customization,
    Full scale World vs. World pvp plus regular pvp, different animations for each skill, a whole lot of armors weapons, items, available to you. Plus picking up objects and hitting monsters with them and a whole lot more. Finally we come down to my favorite factor of this game: NO SUBSRIPTION FEE.

If everything on paper translates well in the actual game then i won’t be surprised the amount of sells this s*** will be getting. Sorry for the long post btw. Had to get it all out.

40. unknown says:

Well there aren’t going to be healers like priestes and so i read. But all players will have a healingspells.

41. Avascar says:

There will be healings,though.

Each race and class gets a healing skill automatically.

Though,i dont like the fact/opinion/thing where Charr’s start as level 47!

Wtf why Charrds start as level 47 and all the rest of the races start as level 1 thats not fair the Charr’s get to place less so wtf.

If im wrong,then w00t!!! AWESOME!