Raptor Safari’s Bubble Blursts

By Alec Meer on April 30th, 2010 at 12:10 am.

I am sadface, king of sorrow. Dino-biffing remake/sequel Off-Road Velociraptor Safari HD has been more-or-less cancelled. Boo! High concept heroes Flashbang seem to have had a hard time of things lately. Double-boo! They’re not sure whether or not their future holds more absurd delights such as Minotaur Chinashop and Time Donkey. Boo-to-infinity! Best of luck to the good ship Flashbang/Blurst, whatever they do next. You have entertained us fantastically, gentlefolk, and we look forward to you doing it again soon.

Footage of what ORVSHD could have been like is below…

That said, in the fascinating/depressing/revealing backstory of what’s happened, Flashbang Founder Matthew Wegner reveals it was undergoing something of a redesign before the axe fell – as shown by the intriguingly cartographic concept pic above.

Sniff. If you pre-ordered, you will at least be recompensed or reimbursed – details on the Blurst site. And Flashbang do leave us with a good chunk of optimism…

To be clear, we’re actually in a positive state of mind about this. We aren’t depressed! It feels like a relief to spend time on awesome prototypes and ideas again.

(Thanks to Oak for the tip. Thoak.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Mr_Day says:

Sadface, King of sorrow, meet Killjoy, Lord of Arseholes.

He says he wants to kick you in the shins. Harsh.

It’s a shame that Off Road Velociraptor Safari is deaded, as I think I would have enjoyed the concept. Pokémon Snap with a mace, almost.

2. Meatloaf says:

Boo^n, where n is the number of Good Times to be had by folk playing that lovely game. Good to know they’re feeling up about it, but nonetheless, I was looking forward to the Fancy New Stuff port. Ah well. If they’re working on more nonsense-that-can-be-played, then full speed ahead.

3. FernandoDante says:

I… never really liked their games. The gameplay was just too frustrating to handle.

4. Doug F says:

I’m afraid you’ve just given yourself away, replicant.

5. Aubrey says:

That’s sad news, but as the post says, these guys are bound for godness. I can’t wait to see what they come up with next.

6. Mario Figueiredo says:

Yes. I feel all warm inside when developers plan, announce, develop, accept pre-orders and cancel projects. These guys are awesome. They are bound for great things.

• RobF says:

I could understand the cynicism if they weren’t offering to reimburse folks or shift their orders over to something else. That I could understand easily.

Killing off something that clearly isn’t working for them on whatever level and then doing the right thing? Sorry, you’ve lost me there.

Sometimes things just don’t work out, man and they’ve chosen the right if slightly grim option. Better to kill it now than watch everything slide under continuing with something that either your heart isn’t in or just isn’t plain working for whatever reason, be it financial worries, worries of how to make the game enjoyable or just the sheer amount of work that doing a HD game takes.

Sad but understandable news, really. The dev beta they stuck up was pretty solid stuff and I’ll happily admit I just enjoyed tootling around in it even with not very much to do. It was a massive undertaking and not one I’d have gone in to but full admiration for trying.

Best of luck for the future, Flashbang folks.

• Hodge says:

Better to cancel something that isn’t working than to make people pay for something you know is rubbish.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

There is nothing in their explanation that doesn’t look like the typical “I’m so excited at this project; I’m developing this project; This project is not fun anymore; I’m so excited at this other project I’m thinking now”.

This really looks like the amateurish stuff one expects of garage newbies that, once finding their first hurdles, start loosing interest because — and this is the revealing bit — they actually didn’t thought their project over before starting developing it.

And there relies my criticism.

• RobF says:

Thing is, writing games isn’t like writing most other forms of software. There’s points you reach where even with the best will in the world and all the best planning, you can reach a point where you find out what you’ve got isn’t up to scratch because you can prototype to heck but until it’s all together and you’re down that road, you just don’t know.

If you find out early, then you’re lucky and you can kill it before anyone knows about it. Sometimes it happens quite far down the road.

It’s got nothing to do with amateur/professional or anything like that. It’s the nature of the beast. It’s something that happens to big and small game developers, difference being big developers can often afford to either scale back and release something jibbed , keep throwing money at it till something sticks and everyone is living under their desk with exhaustion or as happens a little bit too often, can the project and take the studio down with it.

None of these are really sensible options for an indie to take. I’d argue that they’re not sensible options for larger studio’s either but them’s the breaks.

But y’know, we’re not talking a bunch of amateur fly by night garage coders here, we’re talking about a group of incredibly talented people with a good track record of fine games – one of which is the SD version of the game in question.

It’s a shame that you feel you have to see the worst in people really when it’s something that happens to lots of developers and to be honest, if more people took the move of killing something off because it’s not working, there’d be a lot less shit games out there. Sadly, a lot of devs would plough on regardless, take the money and put out something lacklustre just because they can or they feel they need to.

7. Matzerath says:

Gigantic bummer. It seemed like such a great idea to make a full-fledged ‘Safari’.

8. MatthewFBS says:

If only we had a publisher or some other obligation to finish the game below everyone’s expectations, so you could give us shit for releasing such a mediocre game in a year instead of giving us shit today for never finishing it.

(Assuming my sarcasm meter is still functioning. It’s a little wonky).

9. DMJ says:

The rapid-fire development of games led to some creative games (gamelets?). I was looking forward to seeing what they could do with some proper development time and focus :(

10. one f jef says:

Good!

That’s what they get for making it a requirement to have a facebook account to play their game. Those kind of gimmicky partnerships should end up in hell.

Looks like for once one finally did.

11. Lucas says:

Wow, this is terrible news. I was really looking forward to buying it. I also never played the original because I didn’t want to overplay it and thereby spoil the full game.

It’s a shame that they got so hung up over the “HD” content idea. That’s not at all what I care about (and the HD title rubbed me the wrong way from day 1). It was just so promising for it to be a bigger and better playing title than brief online version looked to be.

I think all we really want is a new generation of proper Carmageddon style vehicular chaos.

R.I.P. raptors, and good luck to Flashbang Studios with whatever they pursue.

12. Garg says:

Poor old Blurst. I remember thinking that their a game every 2 months was doomed to fail, simply because their games were /too/ good (yeah…odd I know). Basically the games were incredibly polished and good looking for something that I think the majority of players played for probably no more than half an hour.

Since the only way Blurst was to be successful was to have games that pulled people back again and again (hence more site throughput and more ad revenue/purchases) I think they misjudged it. Looking at something like desktop tower defence, it’s nowhere nearly as good looking or well implemented as the Blurst games, but it keeps people playing.

Not really sure what I’m suggesting, maybe Blurst having an even faster turn around of games, with a bit more of a rough and ready edge but getting a new surge of visitors in every time.

Hope they get a good ending out of this.

13. Muzman says:

Wow. Damn shame that. OVS must have been their biggest ‘hit’ right? (It’s the only one I played regularly) Seemed perfect for leveraging all over the place. Maybe they went too big too soon with it. Make a nicer looking version for XBLA, iPhone?
    Likely showing my ignorance there, but that seemed like the sort of thing that work well for it and them is all I’m saying.

14. BooleanBob says:

Surely that should be reimblurst?

Sorry.

15. manveruppd says:

Shame it got canned… all it needed was some hoverboards for the raptors and it would have been the perfect game! :)

16. Memphis-Ahn says:

Does this mean they will sell Jetpack Brontosaurus and Paper Moon?
    I really like Blurst games, but I don’t enjoy the games they sell as much as the games they don’t (Except Blush).
    Minotaur Chinashop is awesome by the way.

Comment on this story