The Best Defence Is The Best Defence

By Kieron Gillen on April 30th, 2010 at 10:09 am.

Not enough gun.

Dan Kelly alerts us to the (apparently) now fixed bug which slipped in with the last TF2 update, which allowed you to build as many sentries and dispensers as they choose. “There’s something very cool about watching 40 sentries simultainiously bleep and take down a heavy,” he notes. You can follow the chaos on the TF2 forum, with lots of people doing their own ludicrous, glorious, game-ruining gun spam. And some footage with Spose’s NSFW I’m Awesome as a soundtrack follows…

So turn down the speakers if you’re in the usual office, eh?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. GT3000 says:

[-Takes off glasses.-] Mother of god…

2. Squirrelfanatic says:

You somehow managed to overlook the glorious 119th update (shhh, in truth it’s the 100th) of TF2:

3. Monchberter says:

The banhammer on my own server has been working overtime the last 24 hours

4. poop says:

this still works if you use negative numbers in the console lol

5. oceanclub says:

Oh man, I’ve got to play me some of that before they patch.

P.

6. Spandex says:

We thought 1 guy was hacking at first, then everybody did it. The last part of goldrush, 70-80 sentries. The bleeping got too much …

7. jockey says:

and i missed it!

8. JuJuCam says:

I remember Natural Selection rounds that went like this…

9. Tei says:

I only hate one thing from gaming:

Gamers.

Why o why overpowered things need to be nerfed? We all love the awesome? Why everything must be fair? More important.. Why everything must be a sport?

10. Tei says:

Turret Defense games > All

11. Schaulustiger says:

It’s not a proper TF2 update if there isn’t at least one major bug in it.

12. DarthNinja says:

They didn’t fix it at all, all they fixed was spies building dispensers.
    There is a SourceMod plugin that fixes it though thank heavens.

13. Network Crayon says:

I love that the engie’s wrench taps in time with the music on the video.

I also love to think what the scout that gets blasted was thinking when he came down the corridor.

14. omgitsnewyork says:

Thanks to Kieron Gillen and the entire RPS.com staff for using my video to spotlight this glitch :D

I was shocked to see this in the Steam news section and then to see MY video was being used. You guys are awesome. :D

15. Digital sinner says:

Just use negative in your script. eg. 0 -1,0 -2,0-3 and so forth!

16. Skiddings says:

So did this hack work? fucking about in the console?

17. Phil says:

Console build command. All the extra buildings were called “map” for some reason.

18. MadTinkerer says:

Have not tried this on an internet server because I don’t want to be banned right now, but I’ve confirmed it still works if you make your own local server.

“So did this hack work? fucking about in the console?”

The “build” command needs two variables: the first variable is the building type. the second variable is which iteration you want to build. Positive numbers no longer work, but they forgot to exclude negative numbers. For example: build 0 -100 builds a sentry with the number -100. If you input the same command in while number -100 still exists it won’t work. So type in another value for the second number and you’ll build another one. It’s still limited by metal, so it’s best to build two or more dispensers (upgrade both to level 3 for INSTANT METAL) before going nuts with the sentries.

Sentry: 0
    Dispenser: 2
    Teleporter entrance: 1
    (I think) teleporter exit: 3

Please do not abuse this information on the public servers. Use your local LAN, private server or just a personal server on your laptop. Unless you don’t mind being banned everywhere you use it.

Incidentally, I’ve never figured out how to do it without messing around in Hammer, but theoretically there is a way to do something similar with portals in Portal.

19. TjR says:

300 sentries… 1 spy… 60 seconds… GO!

20. Arthur Barnhouse says:

What part of this would be fun? I mean, it’s funny, and was kinda cool to have in a server for a few days, but being able to build hundreds of buildings breaks the game. All CTB maps would end in a stalemate, and all CP maps would end in a red victory.

21. Corporate Dog says:

Ha! Spose has made his way over to the UK? Crazy.

I represent the 207, myself.

22. Urre says:

It’s odd how the music is considered NSFW. My workplace must be complete anarchy, considering everyone listens to what they want, all the time :P

23. will says:

Oddly enough the millions of sentries wasn’t as effective as I would have imagined. Playing on gold rush our engineers on red just PACKED the sentries into the tunnels and it just became heaven for the blue demo men.

24. Malibu Stacey says:

FYI RPS hivemind, people modifying their game then running a script is not the same as a bug. It takes advantage of a “bug” hence it’s an exploit but it’s not the same thing. You can’t do this with a default unmodified TF2 client, you have to modify a certain file to even be able to do it.

25. Ronald says:

Wow thats great.

26. Finn says:

Gaming with this bug has actually been so much fun it makes me wish they’d just leave it in as a server option. It’s wacky as hell and fits TF2 perfectly! Blowing up 20 sentries with one right click is amazing.

Yes, it makes Engineers super powerful, but it’s not like having a whole team of engineers is the optimal setup or anything. There are plenty of other maps that similarly unbalance the classes.

In general, I miss the awesome customizable Unreal servers from Unreal 2k4. Whatever scripting language they used let each server customize the hell out of the game, add vehicles, modes, etc. There were turret mods for Unreal that basically added engineers into the game. But the turrets were way more customizable with branching upgrade paths. If you managed to keep one alive for 20 minutes and constantly upgraded it, they other team would have attack all at once to take it down. I really that customization in the Valve multilayer games. It was like custom map modes in Warcraft 3 — way more fun than vanilla Warcraft.

27. Proxy says:

5 minute ago, a recent update fixed the exploit. it was fun until the patch was released.

28. Sam Crisp says:

Someone should make a proper TF2 tower defense game.

29. dethtoll says:

Last time I played TF2, this stuff was possible on individual servers running donor “perks” that let you do all kinds of crazy shit. This wouldn’t be so bad except every server let every single slack-jawed hamsterdick “test” the perks beforehand, so you’d end up with engineers setting up 5 sentries on inaccessible roofs while spies lept around in perma-cloak like the freaking Predator to swoop down and facestab anyone unlucky enough to pass nearby.

It’s one of the main reasons I quit TF2. Glad to see I don’t have to pay attention to the urge to reinstall.

Comment on this story