Back In Black: Call of Duty: Black Ops

By Kieron Gillen on May 1st, 2010 at 9:04 am.

I'd totally have an AC/DC soundtrack.

As reported earlier-yesterday, later-yesterday lead to the unveiling of Call of Duty: Black Ops on gametrailers. Very fast flashing imagery, so be warned strobe-fearers and be excited obsessive-panel-pausers. Also, the release date is on the site. 9th of November, this year. So – er – the trailer, yes? It follows.

The “waking him up” stuff seems… well, a bit interesting. Reminds me of the Unknown Soldier riff over at DC Comics, especially Garth Ennis’ take. Anyway – thoughts?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Antlia says:

9/11? They really didn’t have a better release date?

• honolululu says:

That’s our wacky month/day/year thing. November 9th is the day.

• Wordy says:

How is that more relevant than releasing it on the anniversary of any number of other tragic events that have occurred throughout human history, but which people have probably forgotten about by now? People are obsessed with dates these days.

• battles_atlas says:

On 11/9 I got lost for three hours in Chessington World of Adventure

• Rich says:

It could have been 11/11. That would be fairly disrespectful.
      Releasing a WW2 game on D-Day, VE-Day, VJ-Day would also be in less than good taste.

• Alexander Norris says:

Rich: why, because a game can’t possibly be a reverential homage to the sacrifice that WWII veterans made?

Since when has every other media had a monopoly on being respectful?

I’ve never seen a trashy or exploitative WWII game. They’re usually very, very respectful about how they treat the War and the veterans.

• RedFred says:

Do you think people in Rwanda complain when things are released on April 6?

• Thiefsie says:

oh battles_atlas… that makes me smile.

I used to live in London a long long time ago as a kid (around 1991 – I’m Aussie) and fondly recall Chessington World of Adventure as a cool place to go. Used to love that inverted roller coaster… the Vampire one??!

ahha thanks for the total recall moment haha

2. Spyglass says:

Looks abit like Assassin’s Creed but Call of duty style.

• Tzarkahn says:

You carry the genetic memory of all Assassins BlackOps in your family and using the Animus remembering chair, you are able to replay all these assassinations missions.

• Man Raised By Puffins says:

But, in a Velvet Assassin-style twist, you have a reserve of Morphine Time™ enabling you to slow down time and view the world through a purple haze. Similarly to Velvet Assassin you’ll be simultaneously stripped of your clothes but, in a reflection of the PC’s hardman ‘commando’ nature, you’ll be tackling these encounters completely au naturel.

• Rich says:

Isn’t the person who’s eyes you’re looking through being tortured?

3. HermitUK says:

Looks to me like you’re being tortured – wondering if all the globe jumping in the missions will be justified as them all being flashbacks and/or you telling your captors about them.

4. Bobsy says:

Black Ops? That’s a bit racist.

5. /V/endetta says:

This game is going to be a total sausage fest!

I love it :D

6. Magic H8 Ball says:

That trailer is as worthless as the MW2 one.

• Petethegoat says:

I don’t know. It certainly perked my interest, despite the appallingly bad name.

• Rich says:

As a first trailer it’s better than MW2. The teaser just sounded like a load of people getting changed in a lift. At least this one has bombastic action shots.

7. Arca says:

To be honest, who isn’t going to buy this game?
    Let’s just hope they add dedicated servers and fix up all the broken parts before releasing it, unlike MW2.

• squirrel says:

1 Year after a new multiplayer game launched to replace MW2, not a bad timing for gamers huh. I hope Activision price Black Ops right this time.

I dont have MW2 so I dont know what would be wrong with absence of dedicated server support. Dedicated server support however does not guarantee acceptable connectivity for multiplayer game, especially for shooter games which normally require good connectivity. Bad Company 2 has dedicated server support but connectivity is rather unstable, especially after each major update. In the city I live I heard that MW2′s connectivity was far better than Bad Company 2. Of course, EA does not maintain a server in our city back then. Since we are using more and more powerful computers at home, maybe letting household PC to do some server works is not a bad idea. I think it really depends on how the softwares are programmed.

• poop says:

I have never bought a call of duty game and I really dont plan on breaking my streak

• rocketman71 says:

Me. After the assfucking that Kotick, Zampella and West gave PC gamers with MW2, I’m not buying from Activision anymore.

Besides, they think Call of Duty is like FIFA. Enough CoDs already.

8. squirrel says:

I think I saw Charlies in the trailer (you know who Charlies are, right?).

9. Heliosicle says:

I seems like theyre trying to big this up as the next MW, pure speculation but maybe because they’re afraid of losing the MW name?

• squirrel says:

From this trailer I rather believe that Activision wants to beat EA’s upcoming Medal of Honor. That kind of background, the outlook……Men this is going to be exciting and I want both games!!

10. Sajmn says:

To save everyone the effort of having to pause every 5 milliseconds to actually see something: http://forums.gametrailers.com/thread/cod-black-ops—persecond-trai/1059484?page=1

11. innokenti says:

Did anybody point out to them that while 11.10.09 MAY have been a semi-witty little thing that at least looked a little neat, at least in America’s bizzare dating convention, 11.09.10 MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL. IT ISN’T FUNNY. IT ISN’T WITTY.

Just mention 9th November as the release date somewhere and be done with it. *sigh*

12. Magic H8 Ball says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    Isn’t the person who’s eyes you’re looking through being tortured?

That was my impression as well.

13. Rosti says:

Back In Black: Call of Duty: Black Ops is totally a PC game waiting to happen. I can tell from the colons.

14. Theory says:

Also announcing the Wii spinoff, Call of Duty: Big Black One.

15. Samuel Bigos says:

I won’t be buying it.

16. Jimbo says:

So basically Demolition Man? Alright, I’m interested.

I spy: lots of Vietnam (no doubt explaining the confusion), lots of Steryr AUGs, some guy with a bandana climbing into what looks like a Cobra gunship, an SR-71 spyplane.

17. int says:

I thought I saw blood clouds and giblets, I’m in!

Modern Warfares were lackluster in that department.

18. Solario says:

I saw a space suit! Nothing else in that trailer could hold as much interest for me as the old school space suit.

19. dethgar says:

Why can’t we call them white ops? Too soon?

20. Bobsy says:

Black and White Minstrel Ops. Yay!

21. Kelduum Revaan says:

Is it just me, or does the voice in the trailer sound like KITT from Knight Rider (William Daniels)?

22. Frosty says:

Is it just me, or was that trailer just shit?

23. Thants says:

The next game after this is going to be a crossover. “Call of Duty 8: Modern Warfare 3: Black Ops 2″

24. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I think I might give this one a miss looks interesting, but my wallet is hurting, and I’ll ONLY buy it if it has an uber Wot I Think.

I am finding that when I get bored of all my games, I replay the old ones with 2D trying to be 3D sprites, instead of all the flashness of the new ones, the old ones were just fun!

RA2 I’m coming back baby! >.<

25. Gaming Laptops says:

Call of Duty games are always great. I have enjoyed them all so far so can’t see any reason why I wouldn’t like this one as well. Will definitely purchase this one, or put it on my Christmas list…LOL

26. RedFred says:

Guess I’ll go back to waiting for a good game to be released based on Vietnam.

Seal Team is too damn old! REMAKE!

27. JayeRandom says:

Sounds like the protagonist’s handler is G-Man from Half-Life…

28. BlackOps4Free says:

This game is gonna be 10x better than MW2!

29. Free NX says:

This game was very good, no matter what others said.

Hey DarkSaber :P