IceFroggy Went A-Teasin’ And He Did Say…

By Alec Meer on May 1st, 2010 at 11:43 am.

…the game he’s making with Valve software will be revealed soon, uh-huh.

Q: When will we hear more about you and Valve? Some people say it will take 2-3 years, can you give us any clues?

A: It certainly won’t take that long. There are a lot of very talented people here at Valve that are working hard on it every day to ensure high quality in a timely manner. We’ll be making an announcement soon actually, and based on the feedback I’ve been getting since the last mention, I’m sure you all will be as excited as I am.

DOTA mainman + Valve = magic, presumably strategy-based mystery. (Thanks to Loctasy).

, .

1. Robart says:

woohoo

2. Magic H8 Ball says:

Or you could just play DOTA?

I mean there were three games which tried to be stand-alone DOTAs and they all pretty much failed.

• Stupoider says:

How do you know if it’s going to be a DotA clone when it could be something completely different?

• Samuel Bigos says:

Really? Heroes Of Newerth succeeded.

• Koozer says:

I liked Demigod and League of Legends…

• plasticsaint says:

replied without replying apparently. here is my clever comment in the correct place:

League of Legends is doing really well.

• Pamplemousse says:

Everybody likes league of legends!

Especially if you play Jax

• pakoito says:

Everybody likes LOL specially if you intend to play just for the LoLs. If you want something serious and competitive-y you go HoN.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

None of them failed.

• Lilliput King says:

LoL has over a million players or something silly hasn’t it? Pretty successful.

I’ve played ‘em all, now. Really like the genre, for some reason, so looking forward to what Valve comes up with.

• RedFred says:

Why are they all fucking acronyms?

3. Squirrelfanatic says:

Earthshaker stunning ma’ sentry!

4. 12kill4 says:

My bet is that he is designing the new MP mode for HL2: episode 3. I’m thinking some kind of base centric game, combining the type of gameplay in the last level of Episode 2 (so multiplayer with additional ai controlled units) with a more complex combat model, and possibly a leveling structure. So in other words Dota in the Half-Life universe, with a first-person presentation.

5. SirKicksalot says:

Inb4 it’s actually The Crossing.

6. vee41 says:

HoN is doing pretty good actually.

7. plasticsaint says:

League of Legends is also doing really well…

8. Schaulustiger says:

I don’t think Valve would’ve hired him for Yet Another DotA Clone, so I remain very interested in this project.

9. Sagan says:

DotA has 7-11 million players? How is that even possible? Did Warcraft 3 sell that much? I happen to know for a fact that most Warcraft 3 players don’t play DotA. I think I read somewhere that most Warcraft 3 players didn’t even play multiplayer. So if this is a fragment of a fragment of Warcraft 3 players, and that is supposed to be 7-11 million, then Warcraft 3 must have sold way more than even Modern Warfare 2 did.

edit: I have done some thinking. Since he says that half of that are Chinese players, and another large chunk is probably South Korean, and from what little I know of how games work in those countries, namely that most players don’t buy their games over there but rather play in public internet cafés, that would explain a lot of players that play with few copies sold. Still the number is really impressive, since it’s larger than Counter Strike.

• pakoito says:

You forgot pirates on Garena. Hell, HoN has 60k+ people online at EVERY time and it’s just been a month of open beta and almost a year of closed…

I hope it’s not another DOTA clone, HoN is doing a great job and I’d hate the icefrog fanboys would tear it down.

10. Jayt says:

I really hope this isn’t just a dota clone

• pakoito says:

Same here, HoN is already filling the gap of updating the engine, netcode, moddable UI, built-in MM, ch’ship and ladder needed to play the game.

11. Vandelay says:

Really hope this isn’t just a DOTA game, due to the completely selfish reason of me having no interest in that genre. I would be very interested in a more traditional strategy game from Valve though.

12. Mad Doc MacRae says:

It’s obviously the Engineer update. Think about it, the Engineer is the most strategic class to play (when it’s not being spammed/exploited) so it makes sense they brought in outside help to deliver the very best in strategy to TF2.

13. mastersmith98 says:

Another game announcement before Episode 3… *sigh*

• Vandelay says:

It really is getting to the point where Episode 3 will never live up to the expectations that are now placed on it after all these years of waiting.

I kind of hope that Episode 3 will actually be Half Life 3. I can’t really think of any other way they could make the wait worth while now. Add to the fact that Episode 2 went from being my most anticipated game from the Orange Box to being the one I was most unimpressed by in the pack then I can’t really see Episode 3 being anything but a disappointment (Episode 2 was great, but it certainly felt the most dated.)

• mastersmith98 says:

While I enjoyed Ep2 a lot, I have to agree with you. In a lot of ways the game feels like a step back from HL2 which did such a great job of setting up this atmosphere for a post apocalyptic earth and establishing this cast of characters. Both Ep1 and Ep2 pretty much throw that away from the get go and make you run through series of corridors seeing some canned, scripted events. This was present in HL2, but I felt like, at least in the early levels, that Valve did such a great job creating the illusion of multiple pathways and openess that you never noticed the single hallway you traveled down.

To Their credit, Ep1 and Ep2 have much more entertaining combat encounters than HL2 and the addition of Alyx as a companion is still a pretty novel concept, all of the additions in the episodes seem to be going in the opposite direction from the foundation HL2 laid down, and not in a good way.

Here’s to hoping the close to 3 year dev time on Ep3 makes up for all that.

• Malibu Stacey says:

VALVe already said many times that the HL2 Episodes are “HL3″.

• DJ Phantoon says:

Really? Half-Life 2 surpassed expectations and it had 6 years, not just two.

14. Shalrath says:

I am actually kinda shocked at how many of you think Valve would release a DoTA clone.

Seriously guys? Valve made half-life, does that mean TF2 was exactly like halflife?

• Lilliput King says:

Is it fair to keep referring to every game in this genre as a DOTA clone? It’s not like they all play the same.

What they do have is similar ‘rules’ that define gameplay, but then, so does every shooter.

• Nick says:

No.. but Team Fortress was a mod, they hired the guy who created it. They made TF2.

Narbtacular drop was an indie game project thing, they hired the people who made it and made Portal.

• Xocrates says:

@Lilliput King: People call them DOTA clones for the same reason most early FPS’s were called Doom clones. The “genre” isn’t well defined/popular enough for most people to have a name for it.

Currently they’re referred as MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena), which quite frankly is hugely generic is sounds a bit silly.

• The Dark One says:

Nick said:

A more nuanced version:
      Team Fortress was a mod, Valve hired the guy[s] who created it, who went on to work on Half-Life 2: Episode One and Steam. Then Team Fortress 2.

15. Cyrenic says:

I’ve been enamored with DotA clones since I tried Demigod last year, and have played quite a bit of HoN and LoL since. I think valve will take the DotA genre to the next level with whatever they come up with, at least in terms of accessibility and fun factor (if not depth).

I’m willing to bet this is going to be something very DotA-like, since IceFrog has said DotA fans in particular would be interested in this project.

16. Army_of_None says:

If only people remembered that DoTA was a clone of the Aeon of Strife maps…

17. half says:

How the hell does over a million players on LoL and 120,000 PREORDERS for HoN count as “fail”

Not in mainstream eye=/=fail.

18. half says:

Calling them “Dota clones” is freaking retarded. Its like calling every shooter a counterstrike clone or a halo clone, and calling every RTS a Dune 2 clone.

• Cyrenic says:

Then what do you call them, then? MOBA isn’t any better.

• bookwormat says:

There only thing that makes no sense is the word “clone”. Personally I say “DotA-style”, or simply “a DotA”..

• Lilliput King says:

“or simply “a DotA”..”

I like that. It has the added benefit of confusing people who don’t know too much about games.

19. Vinraith says:

How about “small map multiplayer action RPG” or SMMARPG. That’s catchy.

20. Freudian Trip says:

CARPG just sounds like an RPG for cars.

21. Vague-rant says:

My other CARPG is a bus.

22. Wheatspin says:

Wow you’re seriously dumb. DotA has so many limits on it simply by the fact that it’s a mod of WC3, an RTS game. Without the limitations of the WC3 map editor, you can do just about anything. Have you even ever PLAYED LoL, HoN, or Demigod? They’re all still going strong.

23. DMJ says:

The hurtful remarks about Demigod make Oak cry. Rook doesn’t seem to mind, but then, it’s so hard to tell when you’re talking about a two-hundred-tonne fortress-man.