The RPS Bargain Bucket: Explorathon

By Lewie Procter on May 1st, 2010 at 12:12 pm.

Bargain time, wallets at the ready folks. We’ve got the highest density of games the bargain bucket has had for a while. It’s bursting from the seams. There’s a mega bundle from a big name developer, a collection of another developers recent output, a large game made bigger with multiple expansions, a trilogy, and a whole damn galaxy. For more gaming bargains get yourself over to SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s this week’s deals.

X3: Terran – £9.99/€9.99/$9.99
Also available for a bit more is X3: Gold, which includes “Reunion”, but my research says that Reunion is pretty much redundant if you have Terran. Confirm/Deny? This is game where you pilot a spaceship around the Galaxy. You trade with people, fight with people, and modify your ship.

Guild Wars Trilogy – £14.99/€17.49/$19.99
It’s missing Eye of the North for some reason, but you get the original game, Factions, and Nightfall. Now, I’m not qualified to talk about games that are, or maybe not quite are, MMORPGs. I don’t play ‘em. Take it away Rab.

RPS coverage here, including an interview with Eric Flannum about the sequel.

Civilization IV [Complete] – £4.95/€4.95/$7.56
The whole shebang, this is the complete version of Civ4 Complete, including Warlords, Beyond the Sword and Colonization. I’ve still not got around to playing Colonization yet, but I’ve spent hours and hours and hours playing Civ4. It’s a really good version of Civ, probably the best so far. My biggest single criticism of it is that it isn’t Alpha Centauri 2, but then it can’t help that. I actually didn’t realise quite how old Civ4 was until I checked after they announced Civ5. It came out in 2005, but it doesn’t feel like it’s been that long. Kieron Euroviewed it back at release an entire half decade ago.

Rockstar Collection – £29.99/€42.49/$42.49
This is a bundle of everything that Rockstar have ever done for the PC, with a few exclusions like Manhunt 2, all packaged together nicely for about the price of a new game. If you are planning to get them two episodes wot John think’d about the other day, it’s not really much more to get this package, and you get Rockstar’s back catalogue too. I’ve spoken before about how I don’t really like the GTA games, but whatever way you look at it, this is a great offer. It’s a shame my favourite Rockstar games don’t have PC versions, Table Tennis and The Warriors would be ace too play on the PC. It’s worth noting that if you’d like to play GTA, GTA2 and Wild Metal, they are also available as freeware direct from Rockstar.

Deal of the week
Codemasters Racing Pack – £12.50/€16/$17.50
Check this out. Watch me go. Fuel is a open world racer set in a devastated post apocalyptic wasteland. The game and the races are playing second fiddle to the gameworld. GFWL was a bit of a bitch, but if you like the sound of an interesting looking world to drive around, it’s worth a pop. Grid is track racer, and it is as stylish as hell, everything is *swoosh* *woosh*. It’s really forgiving, at the start at least, you have the sands of time and you don’t even need to win races at first, just finish. Dirt 2 is a rally game. The menu system is all MTV, and I think it’s a little over the top. I found the best way to play it is jump into the rather phenomenal in cockpit view, turn off the HUD and try to splash in in as many puddles as possible. I wasn’t caring about the race, I was just having fun careering around the track, bashing in to other cars and doing jumps. Even turning is plenty of fun. So that’s it, I had worthwhile inputs on three, count ‘em, racing games. These are all available in this pack along with Dirt the first and Toca Race Driver 3, or you can get each of them at a similar discount separately.

Also of note:
Giants, MDK & MDK2 back on sale at GOG.
Trine – £4.25/$6.49
X-Com Complete Bundle – £2.95/€3.39/$4.51

For more cheap games, head over to SavyGamer.co.uk.

This week’s image by John Roberts.

__________________

« | »

1. monkehhh says:

Just a note if you buy FUEL – Valve have run out of keys so you can’t play it until they get some more.

• LewieP says:

Aha, thanks for the heads up on that. Hopefully they’ll find some new keys soon, but at least you’d have a bunch of other new games to keep you entertained in the meantime.

• monkehhh says:

I’ve played the others previously so I only bought FUEL, but Valve were quick to respond and apologetic (though the Steam forums are full of angry internet folk as you’d expect). Anyway, I can use this an excuse to play the other piles of stuff I’ve previously snapped up for cheap :)

• iainl says:

There’s no obvious sign on the page in the browser that’s the case, but I’ll take your word for it before I complete the very large download.

So, how do we tell when they get keys in? I’ve never hit this problem before.

2. Mr Labbes says:

Does someone know whether Dirt and Grid have their DRM removed? I don’t think the Steam store always lists them.

3. sana says:

I have exactly 0 money so this article’s a bit useless to me, but this is a very well done and shiny logo you got there!

4. Schaulustiger says:

Uuuh, I can’t decide which logo I like most: that from last week was great, but this one’s also hilarious. Hooray for creative RPS readers who know their Photoshop!

5. LewieP says:

I’m just seeing this new logo myself, and I really like it.

6. Heliosicle says:

Its probably a better deal just to buy X3 TC, TC has many improvements missing from Reunion.

7. airtekh says:

Love the Portal-esque logo.

8. RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Nice logo

9. Jimbo says:

The logo reminds me of Flight Control on the iPhone.

10. Thermal Ions says:

As usual Direct2Drive craps on Aussies who this week can’t buy Civ IV

• Thermal Ions says:

And Rockstar chips in to by restricting our ability to purchase their collection too. Did we offend someone by existing or something?

• luminosity says:

I think it’s their way of trying to make us want American friends.

• Robert says:

You are not alone. Only half of Europe can buy it. They won’t let me either, I never knew I was in the wrong half..

• bill says:

Same here in Japan. For both.
      Games I really want to buy, but people refuse to sell to me include:
      All civilization games.
      All rockstar games.
      All total war games.

I got some nice guy to gift me Mirror’s Edge a while back, or they wouldn’t have let me have that either.
      angry face.

• Wulf says:

I’ve bought many a gift for people in areas where the gift is unreasonably more expensive (see: Euro) or it’s inaccessible to them. I’ve trusted people perhaps a bit too much, even, but I’ve never had anyone betray me when helping out.

Has anyone considered something like an RPS Data-Smuggling Ring? >.>

What I mean by this is to have a system where someone can pay another person (via PayPal) to gift a game to them on Steam, and they would then gift that game (and if they can’t, return the money). So, for example, someone could pay me £29.99 over PayPal and I could gift them the Rockstar games collection over Steam.

And if someone was a terrible, horrible person (whom RPS should smite, outcast, and never talk to again) and pocketed the money without buying the game, then at the very least a claim coul be put in with PayPal to investigate. You can also put in a comment when you send the money, I believe, so you could say what it’s for, and if the game doesn’t show up in your Steam account then they have some evidence to work with at least.

Though I’m hoping no one here in the RPS community would be enough of a slimeball to warrant that.

But yes, we could start up a forum thread for it and help out those unable to buy these games!

• Wulf says:

I set up a thread for it, if anyone’s interested: http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=2576#post-110879

• RedFred says:

I can understand excluding Australia, but, New Zealand?! COME ON!

:P

• bildo says:

Yeah they aren’t selling it in Korea either. Lame. You’d be hardpressed to find it in a store here too, so no luck at all.

11. MrBRAD! says:

I have X3:TC and hate it. It’s full of bugs and memory leaks. Needed a year more development before release. Even now, it is still bad. Interface (and everything else) is atrociously unintuitive too.

• sinister agent says:

Ah, a pity. I played X2 a lot a year or two ago. Its interface was shockingly terrible, and the game at large a bit (though not badly) buggy. Most of all though, it was mind-alteringly tedious. Despite the obvious possibilities the interesting game world offered, you were so hamstrung at the start that it would take weeks of solid grinding just to earn enough money to be able to do anything fun.

• jsdn says:

X3:R and X3:TC aren’t much improvements over X2, or even the earlier games. Same awful interface, same tedium, same lack of any end-game goal. Graphics are a lot better, but I behoove RPSers to not get sucked in by the flashy trailers, and to research the game a bit to see if you’d really be interested in it. Even learning how to play the game will require quite a bit of research and head scratching. It’s a very niche game that’s not for everyone.

• Bruce Rambo says:

@jsdn:

Falsehood! x2 was unspeakably terrible, and will x3tc still retains some modicum of clunkiness (you can, for example, blow yourself up by trying to fire certain types of missiles in certain ships) and has some minor memory leak issues (I could go 4+ hours at a time before the major v2.0 patch, we’re now on v2.6 – if you have 3+gig of ram you should be able to do the same) the gameplay is vastly, vastly superior. For one, you’re not FORCED to use a joystick any more, and the controls are much tighter and more responsive.

If you’re looking for plot, they’ve thankfully removed any major overarcing storyline like there was in x2. Instead you get up to about 6 major 20+ mission ones, plus a few dozen shorter ones, for various factions. If you’ve played x2 you know why this is a good thing – you’re no longer forced to watch cut scenes voiced on the cheap in eastern europe where floating, inverted eyeballs talk about being cupboards. Yes, it’s a sandbox game, and yes, it requires a lot of mods to streamline the end game, but in what other game can you start out with a tramp freight and end up building a fleet of supercarriers and conquering the galaxy?

Bar a few exceptions (e.g. launching marine boarding parties) the interface is now quite usable and reasonably intuitive – it’s at least on par with Eve, if not better. Again, there are mods that can fix those odd problems.

TL;DR – x3 is an awesome game if you like space sims or scifi at all, just requires a little polishing w/ mods and maybe for you to set yourself an objective (a good one is to build a battlefleet whilst pursuing the player HQ storyline)

• jsdn says:

We could debate that, but I don’t think you can deny my main point, which is that this game requires a lot of research to play and is not for everyone.

12. Rinox says:

/Makes obigatory statement about us mainland Euros getting the shaft again :-(

Rockstar Collection – £29.99/€42.49/$42.49

13. bill says:

What codemasters game would people recommend if you buy just one?

Bearing in mind that I’m on a laptop, and I’m a little worried it won’t keep up. (Just about managed to play bioshock, don’t think it’d do anything harder).

Fuel seems interesting, but i’m worried about my PC’s power, and GFWL, and securom.

So I was considering Dirt (1) or Toca3.
    Both seem to have some variation in them, with toca covering dozens of types of racing (f1 to sports to classic to rally) and with dirt having standard solo rallies, and what seems to be competitive racing too.

Anyone want to throw in a suggestion?

14. MinisterofDOOM says:

I can’t figure out why D2D and Steam don’t offer the Windows-native Collector’s Edition versions of X-Com that were released several years ago to promote Alliance (which was later axed). They don’t like Vista, but from what I understand it wouldn’t be hard to bring them up to date.

15. VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Metro 2033 (PC) is just 12.98 squids from gamestation.co.uk at the moment. I was impatient, so I dropped into the physical gamestation and bought it for 19.99 in there. Both less than the 24.99-29.99 I’ve seen online elsewhere.

• Heliocentric says:

Buying games in shops? How quaint.

• Ricc says:

@VelvetFistIronGlove

Still out of stock, unfortunately. :( Or maybe I missed it since last week.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Oops, I didn’t notice the out of stock label. The game itself is very atmospheric. The combat against mutants feels very weak, since they hardly react to bullets. It’s better against humans, but their AI is a bit dumb. The environments are nicely detailed, and the immersion level is high, with the gas masks. The “Ghosts” level has a brilliant visual concept.

Imagine if Call of Duty were set in a Stalker-like world, and that should give you an idea of the gameplay and the setting.

16. Sarlix says:

/Obligatory Black Mesa Comment

Maybe next week?

17. Lambchops says:

I’ll bit with X-Com – guess it’s time to see what all the fuss is about.

I’m quite tempted by the Codies pack. Although I feel I’m wasting money by getting FUEL as the open world racing thing just doesn’t really appeal to me (I got bored of Burnout Paradise pretty quickly).

Am I correct in saying that the other games are more traditional track based effors? If so then I’ll probably go ahead and buy the pack.

• Blackberries says:

@lambchops
      Yeah, open-world racing just doesn’t appeal to me either. But GRID and ToCA are track-based (I think). Dirt and Dirt 2 are rally. I’m interested mainly in Grid and Dirt 2, but those total the same as the complete pack so I may as well get that, give Fuel and ToCA a chance.

I will probably also get Trine. Guild Wars keeps tempting me but for £2.50 more you can get the Complete pack on Amazon, which does include Eye of the North (cant’ work out why that isn’t on Steam). So if I do cave, I’ll go for that.

• Lambchops says:

Trine is definitely worth getting for the prices it is at at the moment. It’ll probably be one of the first games I get round to actually completing after my exams.

Can’t wait till the 20th of May when i can really get stuck in to my gaming backlog. What else do I have to do when I’m oh so close to being officially out of eductation for the first time since i was 5?!

18. TheApplePie says:

Since my country is not supported by Games for Windows Live I refuse to buy anything that comes bundled with it. Codemasters’ loss, that is.

The real Deal of the weak for me is Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Tales of Monkey Island together for $19.95 from Telltale Games shop. (Yeah, I’m actually that cheap I didnt buy them on the release day, I know…)

19. lewiep says:

@lambchops
    Both grid and dirt 2 (and presumably dirt 1) are track based.

20. Radiant says:

Dirt 2 and Grid are ridiculous amount of fun [cockpit view for the win] yeah Grid is trying very hard to be PGR but it’s still stands on it’s own two feet really well.

21. Tycow says:

X3 Terran Conflict for cheaps is a good deal. They’ve released additional free content since release, with more on the way soon.

For £9.99… thats 6p per hour of fun I’ve had with the game! :D

22. Coal says:

“Codemasters Racing Pack”? That means there will be MicroMachines! Awesome!

*click link*

Oh…

23. Kits says:

Not a bad price for the Guild Wars trilogy, but you can get the “complete collection” version, which also has the latest expansion from Play, Game, Amazon and probably a bunch of other places for £17-18

24. Adam says:

Has anyone else had trouble uninstalling their disc-version of Civ IV?

25. Sulkdodds says:

I’m certainly going to grab Giants, but is it worth getting both MDKs? If not, which one’s preferable? Thanks!

• Will Tomas says:

Both MDKs are good, they’re a little different. 1 is more old fashioned – there’s no up and down looking with the mouse, the controls almost seem to expect keyboard control, the levels are massive and there’s no mid-level saves… but it’s still a great game and is the more cohesive of the two. It all works.

2 is interesting – it has 3 player characters, two of which are fun, one is annoying, the levels are rather shorter and there are many more of them, but I really enjoyed it. It hangs together less well and it is really damanding and occasionally frustrating but it’s a blast, and the more natural of the two to gamers not used to old school gaming as the controls are more natural and it has a proper plot and narrative – which the first basically lacks. It’s also Bioware’s first game.

Both are great, if you want to see what the fuss was about, 1 is the one to get. 2 is definitely worth playing if you don’t mind spending the extra money.

• Sulkdodds says:

Excellent, cheers for the help. I’ll probably try and afford all. (reply to Will Tomas above in case this post gets severed from its minithread)

26. Vinraith says:

X3: TC is also available in the US on GoGamer for that price, if anyone prefers a physical copy. That’s what I ended up getting.

I picked up Dirt on Steam, but I’m curious how intrusive the GfWL integration is for Dirt 2. Is there a tool to remove it?

• Bruce Rambo says:

@Vinraith; X3

As of the latest X3:TC patch you can apparently register the retail game on steam (or so the newsletter claims, haven’t tried it yet myself). The game is also DRM free now. Well, except for the optional steam part I guess.

• Vinraith says:

@Bruce

Now that’s the best of both worlds, right there. A DRM-free physical copy with a Steam digital download backup, thanks for letting me know.

• Tycow says:

Registering your DVD Terran Conflict code with Steam does work. Also, they’ve added Steam Achievements, a new plot line and optimised the game further with latest 2.6 patch.

Egosoft has just released the Bonus Pack for the game too:

Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who plays TC as it adds quite a few useful functions to the game for you. :)

• Vinraith says:

@Tycow

Free Steam backups are good, requiring Steam for certain game play features is not so good. Fortunately, looking at the forum, I see that the 2.6 patch does not require Steam and all you really get from adding it to Steam are achievements (utterly pointless, as always) and some kind of AAR tool that, while neat, is hardly what I’d call necessary. I hope they don’t tie the game too strongly to Steam in the long run, what’s the point of removing the DRM from a game only to turn around and re-DRM it?

Edit: And as soon as I post that Egosoft kindly puts my mind at ease. I should have known better, really. From the site:

The only thing that is not available to users with only a normal installation are the achievements as those are a feature of STEAM.

So no problems there.

• Tycow says:

@Vinraith

Apologies, I should have structured my comment better. :-D

You’re right, 2.6 (and the future patches) does not require you to use/have/install Steam if you have the retail version of the game.

Egosoft gave the option to register your DVD with Steam so that the DVD users didn’t feel left out with the achievements (agreed on the pointlessness of them though) and any features that are reliant on Steam (such as this new Dead is Dead type of game that is coming with 2.7 – it’s not an AAR tool IIRC, it’ll a game type).

I don’t think they’re planning to tie it in completely though. :-)

• Vinraith says:

@Tycow

No apology necessary, I appreciate the information. So what IS the Dead is Dead thing, then? I read the forum post on it and apparently came away with the wrong impression.

• Tycow says:

@Vinraith

I can’t say too much about the Egosofts plans for the Dead is Dead side of things due to NDA etc. but basically it’s a game type that some forum members came up with where the only rules they stick to is that they save the game when exiting, no reloads, and when the player dies, that’s it. Said forum members wrote logs of what they got up to in the game.

The best examples of this is Nuklear-Slug’s DiD game “Wanton use of nukes and the path to galactic conquest!” http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=248619

I’d thoroughly recommend reading it, it’s pretty hilarious. Use the next chapter link at the top of his posts to skip the other forum members posts.

Would also recommend the Bonus pack too :-)

• Vinraith says:

@Tycow

So it’s an iron-man mode, basically. I can see how Steam linking would allow them to enforce that in a way that they otherwise couldn’t, so that makes sense.

And yeah, installing the bonus pack is a given. :)

• Tycow says:

@Vinraith

Iron man! That was the phrase I couldn’t think of. Cheers for that! :-D

27. Vague-rant says:

I’m really interested in buying Gaints (would probably have done so if I hadn’t bought a couple of games this week already). Can anyone from RPS give it a Yay or Nay? I’ve read it has RTS elements, what do those involve?

• Will Tomas says:

Absolute YAY for Giant’s, it’s a thing of ideosyncratic, weird genius. Basically the game has different parts to it as it progresses:
      Space Marine as 3rd person shooter,
      Space Marine as 3rd person shooter doing some base building and holding off waves of enemies
      Weird female witch creature with spells and cool moves
      Play as the Giant stomping and eating everything.

It’s a brilliant, British, very funny game. If you haven’t played it you deserve to.

The RPS elements are only a few levels and relatively minor – as I say above, it basically just involves some base building to hold off waves of enemies with enforced trips out of the base to find workers. It is all from the same 3rd person shooter perspective though.

• Will Tomas says:

When I say Space Marine, it’s worth bearing in mind that they’re British wide boy space marines off to the planet Majorca for a jolly to find sun, sea and birds. Not give the wrong impression.

• Wilson says:

@Vague-rant – Yeah, I’d recommend Giants, especially cheap. It’s something quite different to your average game, if you don’t mind a little quirkiness (in style, not so much gameplay I should point out). The RTS elements are fairly minor Will Tomas said. It’s a lot of fun!

• Vague-rant says:

Bought! Thanks lads.

• Will Tomas says:

You won’t regret it. With Giants I highly – highly – recommend going to GOG’s forum to find the graphics updates, which improve the game massively.

28. TooNu says:

“RBBWNB’s” haha awesome

29. fabamatic says:

Sadly I bought both of them. TC is far far superior than R. And less buggy..

• Dominic White says:

Terran Conflict is basically Reunion, merged officially with the huge fan-made XTended expansion, plus a bunch of control and UI improvements. It also chucks out the boring story in favour of a useful mission chain from each race, which give pretty sizeable rewards and go a long way to getting you into the meat of the game.

It’s not quite a full sequel (hence why it’s not called X4), but it’s a huge iterative update.

30. lewiep says:

Dark Messiah did the drm free retail release that could be registered on steam too. It is the best thing.

• Vinraith says:

@LewieP

Well, I suppose if one wanted to nitpick, DRM-free retail release with free copy on GOG would be the best possible deal, but the world doesn’t work that way and this is still pretty damn good!

31. Mac says:

What about the updated Direct2Drive sale? I know it’s not as good as last week, but it’s still good enough to mention …

32. Daniel Klein says:

For anyone looking to play Civ4: Col, make sure to get the fabulous Age of Discovery II mod. It’s a decent game without the mod, and with the mod it is PRECISELY what Colonization II should have been. If you are, like me, suffering from a bad case of Col nostalgia, AoD2 is pretty much going to be your new heroin.

• Wilson says:

@Daniel Klein – Ooh, thanks for that link. I’ve had a look for Colonization mods before, but didn’t really know if any were much good. Having a recommendation is very helpful. Though I’ve been playing the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civ4, and trying various mod-mods for that, so a Colonization mod is just going to eat all my time… but it’s worth it for Civ/Col.

33. DarkNoghri says:

Of course, I bought Civ 4 in one of D2D’s recent sales (possibly Christmas). And of course, Civ 4 complete is now on sale. I have the main game already, but want the expansions. Which come to something like 50$ separately. :(

• Thermal Ions says:

Will it not let you buy the complete pack if you’ve already got the main game? If not, sounds like time for a 2nd D2D account and buying complete on that – cheaper than paying for the expansions separately.

• DarkNoghri says:

It’s more the principal of the thing. I don’t like buying games twice.

And it’s not like I’ve actually played Civ 4 since I bought it.

34. neems says:

It’s worth noting that Fuel isn’t open world in the sense that Burnout Paradise is, but more in the sense that, say, Australia is. It’s huge. Unspeakably vast. As an actual racing game it’s not that great (although not terrible, I found it fairly enjoyable), but as a ‘Road Trip’ it has no equal. I always felt that they should leverage the game engine for something else – a Mad Max style game or something.

• terry says:

Just don’t think about the fact they could’ve made Road Rash – open world edition :-(

Seriously, there’s mindboggling amounts of potential awesome in FUEL, but almost none of it made it to the game.

35. We Fly Spitfires says:

Dang, nice deal on Civ IV… night need to pick that up :)

36. Carra says:

Grmbl. Why the heck can’t I buy a game (Civ 4) from the D2D eu store?

*This product is only available for purchase in France, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Aland Island.*

What about Belgium? The Netherlands? Luxembourg? “EU” store, pfff.

• malkav11 says:

That pack omits Civ IV: Colonization, which is included in the digital distribution packages labelled as “Civ IV Complete” both on Steam and on Direct2Drive.

• Sarlix says:

Well spotted. They need to rename it to Civilization IV: Not quite complete but almost.

37. orpheusx says:

By the way Lewie, the U.S. price for the Civ4 Complete bundle as of today (May 2nd) is actually $9.95. With tax its $10.57. Also the link you’ve got there now points to the UK site. Still a pretty good deal though so thanks!

38. pinbag says:

Yeah it stinks …

39. Chris says:

Another vote for MDK 1 (haven’t played 2). Yes it’s dated but (1) It’s as funny as hell, and (2) the music is wonderful. I dug my original discs out and played it a year or so ago, and it stood up very well. Weird, imaginative and atmospheric, it’s well worth a go.

- Chris.

40. Chris says:

reply fail: that was @ Sulkdodds

41. Sulkdodds says:

Ta! I’m grabbin’ that shit

42. zipdrive says:

Fucking D2D with their fucking regional restrictions.

you can buy the game in the UK (but only from the UK site), US and canada (only from the US site), quite a few europian countries (only from the EU site) BUT NOT ANYWHERE ELSE.

Why not???? Is someone living in Israel, Greece or Russia not allowed to play?

Comment on this story