Getting Short: Blood Bowl Halflings

By Kieron Gillen on May 3rd, 2010 at 9:00 pm.

Walk away.

I suspect this isn’t exactly worth a post, but it amused me. The previously announced before-Christmas Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition has just revealed the first images of their Halfling team. And they amused me, because they just scream doomed, and recalled me of a teenage Blood Bowl game I played against my brother with a pure team of halflings versus a pure team of Ogres, which grew so hysterical I let him move the Ogres off the pitch and into my dug-out to clear up. This sort of game is hobbit deforming. Does that work? Close enough.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DMJ says:

Gah, Halflings. I hated those little guys in the tabletop version. They only look jolly and harmless.

My Undead team wiped the floor with the opposing team physically, causing an astonishing (and statistically unlikely) four kills in one match and the Halflings still won because they went on crazy suicidal dodging sprees (Stunty) and went sailing through the air as Treeman-propelled ballistic missiles (The Right Stuff).

They also had an unending stream of identikit disposable replacement players in the dugouts. When the takings at the end of the game were calculated my opponent had enough income to replace his losses and a couple of the survivors levelled up, making them even meaner in subsequent matches – there’s little as terrifying to your heavy hitters as a Dauntless Halfling.

To add insult to injury, their Treeman also pounded my Vampire into the astrogranite like some sort of novelty fence-post, causing an injury which dogged him for the rest of his career.

No, I don’t like Halflings. Unless they’re in some sort of stew.

• user@example.com says:

They’re Warhammer halflings – they’ve weaponised stew.

• Ian says:

I’ve had similar games against Skaven. Ripping them clean in two and still losing by two or three touchdowns.

They look hilarious, though.

• Griddle Octopus says:

Yeah, Halflings become suddenly lethal if they get a bonus agility point, block or Dauntless – or, like Puggy Baconbreath, Dodge, Block, agility *and* Nerves of steel. And more than one treeman in a team is just ludicrous.

• Choca says:

I used to find them more entertaining than the goblins as a “joke” team, but the fact that goblin teams referee bribes only cost 50% of the normal price in the new rules might make secret weapons more effective and therefore more fun.

• MadMatty says:

haha yeah Treemen for the win- the little uns get grinded at an alarming rate lol

2. KBKarma says:

That joke… it’s familiar.

And about every 100th strip thereafter.

I’m going to be rather happy to get this when my new gaming rig is up and running.

On a side note, I played my first game of Bloodbowl with a Snotling team (with two Ogres) versus an Orc team, as I recall.

We tied, but my Ogres ate half my team. So, a pyrrhic tie.

• jokermatt999 says:

Glad to see I’m not the only one who immediately thought of Irregular Webcomic here.

3. Vinraith says:

Please oh please let them put some work into the single player AI. There’ve been some fantastic SP mods for the original game, but I don’t want to have to count on those folks to fix the SP in this version as well.

Other than that concern, though, it’s looking great. Smushing halflings is always a pleasure.

• Optimaximal says:

Apparantly, it features a Career mode.

• Vinraith says:

@Optimaximal

The original game features a career mode as well, that doesn’t mean the un-modded AI is any smarter than a drunken slug. stw402’s various SP mods for the original game did wonders for upping the challenge (though their actual impact on the AI itself was somewhat limited because of the way those files are structured). I’ve no doubt someone will “fix” the SP in the new version as well, but it’d be great if they didn’t have to do so.

• Obdicut says:

DIdn’t you call the single player AI “Adequate if not exceptional” and say you were really happy with the game?

• Vinraith says:

@Obdicut

When you’re just starting out it is adequate, yes. Once you’ve played for awhile it’s really not anymore. Like I said, single player modding does wonders for the game, and I AM very happy with it despite its flaws, but I’d really like to see this new addition require fewer user fixes to get a strong SP experience.

• Vinraith says:

@Obdicut

And I just noticed the misquote, I said “Adequate but not exceptional.” Even when I was just starting out it was plainly obvious that it was nowhere close to exceptional.

• Obdicut says:

It’s rather silly to call something adequate at one point and dumber than a drunken slug at another point. At the very best interpretation, it’s a rather blasé approach to hyperbole.

4. Amqz says:

I didn’t get that ”hobbit deforming” pun…

5. Mac says:

Is this a free addon?

Original game is very cheap now – tempted to buy …

• Vinraith says:

@Mac

It’s an expandalone. Cyanide is reasonably generous, but they’re not going to give you 11 new teams, a bunch of new modes, and a bunch of new features for nothing. :)

• Mac says:

Thanks for the reply – i’ll hang on then and see if the expandalone addresses any of teh issues that apparently hindered the original.

• Malibu Stacey says:

If by reasonably generous you mean “allowed people to pay upwards of £30 to beta test their game which at the last patch was still horribly flawed” then sure.

6. manveruppd says:

Is that gonna be the only addition to the game? Seems like they’re short-changing us… :p

I know, I know, I’ll get my coat! :)

7. Bret says:

Mr. Gillen, I am disappointed.

I’ve come to expect total despair from your your puns and mass suicidal tendencies.

This one just caused mild discomfort. For shame, sir.

8. Chris D says:

The way I keep the single player interesting is not to ask “Can I win?” but “How much can I win by”. Of course “Can I slay the entire opposing team?” is also a good one.

• Malibu Stacey says:

That’s only because the AI utter mince. I’ve slayed almost entire Chaos teams with Skaven because the AI is complete & utter failure incarnate. It’s not actually any fun but then neither is the multiplayer outside of tournaments amongst friends/communities due to the massive issues with their horribly flawed implementation of a great game design.

9. Choca says:

Treeman-propelled ballistic missiles as you call them might become even more dangerous now that Treemen no longer have the Loner skill in LRB6.