Edgy: Eyes-On With Brink

By Alec Meer on May 4th, 2010 at 7:18 pm.

As Jim prophesied, so it has come to pass. Yes, I come here to link to a preview of Brink I wrote for another website. To whit, IGN UK, and specifically here. If, hypothetically speaking, I had written the piece in an incredible hurry because I’d stupidly but hypothetically forgotten what day the embargo lifted on, you might hypothetically be able to tell. Hmm. Here’s a non-hypothetical quote:

“Brink’s aim is to tear down the church and state separation of single and multiplayer, so you’re using the same disciplines, chasing the same goals and enjoying the same rewards however you play. This is, of course, the theory: other games are sniffing around the same idea, with Left 4 Dead arguably at the head of this young pack. With Brink though, there’s a real sense of no compromise. This is not two separate modes which happen to be linked by persistent unlocks and experience points: it’s one sprawling action game which you choose to play in your preferred fashion.”

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. msarge says:

This game looks like its could be awesome, although I have a feeling it will play better on a console.

Also, I think all the characters look like they came from TimeSplitters.

• Sobric says:

Agreed. If it works fluently on PC, however, it certainly brims with potential.

I also hope that there is a least “some” scope for advanced movement, and that it’s not all automatic.

• Senethro says:

Its not all automatic, it can be done manually if you prefer a finer degree of control.

2. Miker says:

Though I haven’t been playing many multiplayer manshoots lately, Brink looks rather wonderful. Between the current bloated state of TF2 and the current broken state of Bad Company 2, I think Brink is gonna eat up a lot of my hours.

3. Lack_26 says:

I’ll certainly be buy this, after all I have a ginormo brink poster in my room. Anyway, I really like the art style, it’s always good to see games with more abstract humans.

I’ll almost certainly be playing an agile build, I just love climbing in games.

4. Peter Radiator Full Pig says:

XBOX360 preview? I think i feel a little ill…

• westyfield says:

Ex-box? What madness is this?

• Radiant says:

I’d actually prefer to play this on the xbox.
      That way at least everyone is on the same level graphical playing field [hd aside] same with the small amounts of cod multiplayer I played.

• Thants says:

I dunno. You still have people on small SD TVs against people with big HD TVs.

And I still don’t understand how people can stand playing FPS games with a control-pad. I mean, I enjoyed Golden Eye as much as anyone, but come on! In summary, get off my lawn.

5. Jesse says:

I, like many others, love the art style, and I’d be excited to see increased mobility in all FPSes. But I guess I need to see more gameplay, or something, because I don’t feel this aura of groundbreakingness so many people seem to feel. Previously I’ve heard about dynamically-generated submissions appearing during gameplay, and that sounds promising, but this preview doesn’t mention that. Drop-in, drop-out multiplayer for what seems to me to be a game clearly designed for multiplayer – is that so special? The great majority of the players will be in it for the multiplayer, right? And beyond that we’ve got a class-based, team based shooter with some Mirror’s Edge mixed into it.

And as far as the parkour influence goes, I’m waiting for a hands-on preview that tells us how much difference the SMART system makes. Will there be exciting 3D chases a la the beginning of Casino Royale? Or will this just be a different way to find sniper spots on the upper levels and corners of the map?

I want this game to be great, don’t misunderstand. But I don’t see the grounds for great excitement yet. Forget about the art style. The class system could be good, and the SMART system could be good, but the proof is entirely in the pudding, not in the previews. Is it gonna work, or is it gonna not work? Is it fun to shoot people and die, or not? Clever ideas are worthless until they’re well-implemented.

6. Alexander Norris says:

I’m not sure the Church and state separation is a good metaphor to make when talking about tearing down separations. The single-/multiplayer separation is arguably not good. There is nothing remotely good about state religion.

7. DMJ says:

Excitement level: Cautiously optimistic.

8. Rath says:

Can you use the word ‘Edgy’ in a videogame article, or has all that Langdell bollocks been resolved?

9. monkeybreadman says:

On the boat to excited island

10. bill says:

Portal meets mirror’s edge meets fallout?????!!!

!!!!

11. 3Suns says:

Alec, funny, I just told someone today that the IGN article was uncharacteristically well-written. I don’t mean to give you a complisult if you happen to write over there often. I stopped reading that site a long time ago, so I wouldn’t know if the quality of writing has been up for a while now or not.

Anyway, great article, great looking game. As you wrote, I think we are going to be able to play in our preferred fashion. Since I can’t shoot to save my life (literally), I need games that let me throw out heath packs, or place anti-tank mines etc. to get my points. ;)

Comment on this story