Tim Willits Talks Rage

By Jim Rossignol on May 5th, 2010 at 10:04 am.

GameTrailers is watching… The all-see floating tendril of the internet that is the GT cameras found its way in front of Id Software’s lead design chap, Tim Willits, who looks a decade younger without his moustache. He’s talking about Rage: the setting, the protagonist, the weapons, and all the extras that Id hope will make this more than a standard-fare FPS. It’s interspersed with some footage, mostly recycled, but with some weapon action I don’t recall seeing before. Clickwards for more.

Thanks, GameTrailers. We will never forget you.

, .

1. Metal_circus says:

For some reason I’m not that excited about this. I keep hearing about how it’s a big leap forward but I don’t see it, personally.

He was talking about procedural animations somewhere in there and the footage then began to show generic enemies ragdolling all over the floor. Wut?

• Grunt says:

I’d like to posit the theory that after 15 years of running-and-gunning the FPS isn’t becoming just a little stale. I saw very little in the vid that built any excitement for me; in fact I’m struggling to recall what I saw that changed to “very little” from my previous “nothing”.

Also, for an Id game I find that now most of their competitors are graphically on a par with them – Id no longer leading the pack – it’s easier to evaluate one of their games on its merits rather than get lost slavering over the prettiness as I’m sure happened to Doom3.

Finally, Tom was spilling a bit too much developer hyperbole for my liking. It’s an awful language all its own that I’m now incredibly wary of.

I predict a tepid response from the gaming community upon release.

2. terry says:

The more I hear about this the more I think “Borderlands”. Hopefully it’ll be less repetitive/more engaging/more substantial. Pretty engine though.

3. plasticsaint says:

Better Borderlands (TM)

I think the game looks bad ass, but, I’m not sure if I’ll buy it as a purely single player title– I’ve come to expect online co-op… and it sounds like even they don’t know what their multi-player will be like.

• negativedge says:

This looks like a game for the kind of people that would use the term “bad ass” to describe it.

• plasticsaint says:

Is there something ‘incorrect’ about describing cutting edge graphics (finally realistic, and not shiny) as “bad ass”?

• Radiant says:

Yes there is.

Think Transformers 2 or that weird glass eyed Cliffy B interview where he used ‘bad ass’ 21 million times to describe everything.

It’s the equivalent of someone declaring the way they dress as ‘cool’.
      Part self affirmation, part protestation, mostly fuckery.
      Almost always wrong.

• El Stevo says:

Well I think it looks splendid.

• Radiant says:

It does look splendid!
      Coincidently so does my outfit.

4. /V/endetta says:

hype hype hype !!

5. teo says:

Did they drop the Mac version?

• suibhne says:

I don’t believe so. There’s a long and storied history of Mac OS versions being omitted from PR quackery about games, so I’m going to assume that’s the case here. On the other hand, there’s also a long and storied history of announced Mac OS versions later being canceled…so I won’t bet any money on it. ;)

6. Don says:

Colour me encouraged. Also needing a better graphics card before it comes out. Hopefully it being out on the PS3 will mean it isn’t lumbered with GFWL or similar on the PC. Id games always make me feel nostalgic, first PC game I bought was by sending off $10 to the US and getting a 31/2″ floppy in return with the precious final levels of Wolfenstein 3D on it. Internet? Never heard of it.

Id have been a bit hit and miss since then – I’ve mostly bought their games but in some cases played through once then never again as they just didn’t grab me in same way as, say, HL2. But this looks like it could be a distinct return to form.

• littlewilly91 says:

HL2 wasn’t by id.

• TeeJay says:

‘Id games since Wolfenstein 3D just haven’t grabbed me in same way as, for example, HL2 has grabbed me’

doesn’t say: ‘HL2 is by Id’

7. RAGE says:

I think it may just be a “step forward” in terms of id not making the same game again. And I think id is suffering from the whole “people have caught up with technology” thing, because they are just announcing a bunch of features that have been pretty much consistent for the last few years.

Personally I am not excited, nor unexcited, though that seems silly to say. I have no opinion of it until it shows me some actual information.

I was, however, deeply amused by him saying “We want the multiplayer to be truly Ragish, it has to have that Raaaage feel.” But that’s probably just me.

HermitUK says:

They’d do well to study L4D then. Few games can be simultaneously as awesome and as massively rage inducing as L4D(2) Vs.

8. Miles of the Machination says:

Maybe Borderlands has sharpened my cynicism, but I kind of felt as if that guy was trying to pitch what is essentially “Drive around and shoot people in the face in pretty worlds” as a convincing intellectual topic. Maybe he’s really behind his ideas, but I’m just not sure I can buy it.

• diebroken says:

Brings back memories of Far Cry 2, and they are not pretty…

9. monkeybreadman says:

I too am on the boat sailing for ‘Hmmm Not to Sure About This’ Island.

Borderlands with less guns and better graphics

10. Brumisator says:

id software hasn’t done a good game since … quake 3. they’re a god-damn cell phone developer nowadays.

But this could really be their salvation to my eyes.
    It looks like good game, nothing mindblowing, but a good game.

• rocketman71 says:

Completely agree with the first paragraph. Although I hope to be wrong, I really don’t expect anything remotely good (other than eye candy) out of Rage.

• RedFred says:

iD should really just stick to developing engines and licensing them to other developers. Gameplay has never been iD’s thing.

11. simon says:

Hopefully the release of Just Cause 2 will force developers to pull their socks up, there’s now a minimum standard that must be improved on before I’m interested enough in a game to buy it. Well, it’s not difficult to improve on the missions anyway.

Also, your Captcha doesn’t work with Google Chrome, I have to go to Internet Explorer (!) to post a comment. Sort it out you berks.

• Chris says:

Replying using Chrome: the box is there, it’s just invisible! Click above the word “Enter” and it will appear. Shading the box would be nice though, RPS people…

12. SpinalJack says:

Why is it that RPG is becoming a nasty word for games to be associated with?

13. the wiseass says:

Tim Willits: “So, uh, our game will have many new features, like vehicles and, uh, vehicles and umm did I mentions the vehicles already?”

Either they don’t want to spoil the game or really don’t have that many ground-breaking features as they want to make us believe.

Tim Willits: “The game has to be Rage’ish, it has to have that Rage feel…”

Um yeah, but what exactly IS that supposed to mean. I don’t get any particular Rage-Feel from what they have showed so far except from FPS with cars. I dunno, didn’t sound convincing to me.

I like the idea tough that you will advance your character purely through weapons an vehicle upgrades. No character stats but hopefully lot’s and lot’s of different equipment. I dunno, I’m fine with the game not being ground-breaking as long as it’s a good game the presents its features in an interesting manner. I mainly expect an FPS from Id and that’s what I’ll get. That’s fine just as long as it’ll be a good FPS.

• Radiant says:

This is it.
      ID are good at content creation but not so much new gameplay.
      So much has gone on in shooty shooty bang bang pc gaming that just adding ‘racing’ to a shooter is pretty silly.

PLEASE BE GOOD.

oceanclub says:

““The game has to be Rage’ish, it has to have that Rage feel…”

Oh my god, did he really say that?

P.

• the wiseass says:

Oh boy, I’m sorry for the million spelling errors, but I can’t get my shit together today. And yes, he said that.

14. toni says:

the less borderlands the better. shooting and racing in a expertly paced fps is what I want from Id, I don’t think they can cut it with rpgs just like those gearbox guys failed with RPG-repetetivness imo.

15. Zerotime says:

“It’s not an RPG, but .”

16. mrrobsa says:

If this game had Borderlands crazy gun generating system I’d be all over it. Currently, only the art and smooth engine are drawing me in.

17. Mr. ThreEye says:

I really don’t trust developers who don’t talk about how their game feels. Too many FPS games are a bitch to play because the mouse input feels like crap.

What about my feelings Mr Willits, huh?

• Ace says:

shouldn’t be a problem from id. they know inputs (ql player here).

• suibhne says:

Q3/QL has the best mouse input of any shooter ever made, so id at least has the technical qualifications for this.

18. Anthony says:

An iD game that isn’t just a tech-demo for a new engine? Say it ain’t so!

Colour me mildly interested.

19. Magic H8 Ball says:

I thought Id was dead.

Oh, a PS3 version…

20. neofit says:

Oh, another game with guns and melee mobs. Nevermind.

21. DeanLearner says:

Not sure yet… it’s got that horrible ‘everything has the same plastic gloss in slightly varying shades of curry’ look about it.

Goddamnit, give viva pinata some guns.

22. Mario Figueiredo says:

Moderately excited. I don’t need something better than Borderlands. I need something different. It seems it will be the latter.

A little concerned with the vehicle emphasis though. It’s not something I particular enjoy, vehicles in FPS games. Especially when it comes to drive & shoot. Borderlands controls did facilitate this for the first time. But it was still a pain in the neck for me to wrestle against the controls when trying to do both at the same time. Still, as long as they don’t make the vehicle controls overly complicated and the driving too technical (just make vehicles fun to use, not realistic), the game will probably find a place on my games closet.

23. skinlo says:

I hope its not like Borderlands, played it for 2 hours, haven’t played it since.

24. Sidorovich says:

Well it won’t have ‘mobs’ with level indicators and damage numbers spiralling off ‘em that’s for sure. I liked Borderlands, but its MMO influences were just too much to bear at the end. It’s the AI that makes a shooter and it’s too early to tell whether Rage will have something special in that arena. I wonder will the vehicle bits be just a way to make money from races, or will they be properly integrated into the game?

25. Poltergeist says:

Wow why are you guys so negative? After seeing the screenshots and now this video my excitement has been cranked up to eleven! But then, I haven’t played Borderlands and didn’t sink too many hours into Fallout 3, so maybe I’m just not feeling any fatigue yet. Post-apocalyptical steam-punk setting? Yes, please!

26. RAGE says:

Possibly because you are deeply amused by shiny objects?

27. reginald says:

I’m looking forward to this game. Its been over 20 years since Road Warrior came out, and I still haven’t “lived” a good mad max game. The closest thing I can think of is Powerslide or Interstate 76, back in the 90s. Fallout 3 felt too much like a Morrowind mod, and I don’t know what the hell Borderlands was.. I shot at the same dog and bandit for the first hour then turned it off.

The environments and denizens in Rage look well-designed, not just “pretty”. That means a lot to someone like me, that works as a designer. I appreciate their aesthetic.

28. Daryl says:

Does this game offer anything that we haven’t seen done plenty of times before? No? I’ll save my money then, thanks.

29. Geoff says:

Quietly optimistic.
    Agree with Poltergeist and reginald. I dont have post apocalyptic burnout yet and Im a fan of gorka morka from the warhammer world, and mad max etc, so why not. The video above turned me off lots but watching the footage separately a few months back it looked awesome. Out next year though? blimey.

30. The thing living in your eye. says:

Isn’t this just Borderlands without all the hideous bugs and repetition?