Dogged: Kane & Lynch 2 Arcade Mode

By John Walker on May 6th, 2010 at 6:40 pm.

It's his Splinter Cell impression.

I feel it’s about time I posted another Kane & Lynch 2 trailer. So that’s just what I’ll do. It’s for the co-op Arcade Mode, in which you’re challenged with blowing stuff up and stealing money! Hooray! It’s co-op in the fragile sense. Betray your team and you’ll be assassinated. But don’t perform well enough and your team could turn on you, recognising you as disposable. You can see more of the strange CCTV perspective shots that appear to be in-game, which is a nice idea.

I think she might call you the c-word.

And since we’re here, here’s the extended version of an earlier trailer, with a bunch more footage:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Dubious says:

I like how we see people getting murdered but we cannot see breasts.

2. Solario says:

“I will personally pay someone to kill you.”

Hardcore of her to physically hand over the money to get someone to kill you.

Aside from that little blunder, it looks interesting.

3. Alexander Norris says:

Sounds like someone is channelling the TF2 announcer lady.

4. Severian says:

Why is it that every time you guys post something on K&L, I feel like I’ve somehow crossed over (just a couple inches in 20-dimensional space) into an alternate dimension where pants always fit just a little too tight and sugar tastes bland and people are often angry and my internet connection is always dropping? It makes me want to go to sleep and hope everything returns to normal when I wake up.

5. El Stevo says:

Where did Kane’s bald spot go?

6. Adventurous Putty says:

I can’t see the videos…

Chaz says:

It’s all looking very stylish, I like it. I quite enjoyed the heist movie look and atmosphere of the first one until it went to South America and turned into a poor mans Rainbow 6.

8. n3gs says:

that’s pretty much the reason I never finished it.

• n3gs says:

Weird, that was supposed to be a reply to Chaz.

• Alastayr says:

No biggie, you just missed one of the best endings in gaming history.

• Alastayr says:

Of course, Reverend Speed has already spilled the beans directly under this post. Should’ve read on, silly me.

9. Reverend Speed says:

Ahh, Kane and Lynch.

The only two game leads you’re NOT meant to hero-worship in some way (eg Gears of War), that you’re not meant to take on as some kind of power fantasy (eg Hitman 47), two player avatars past their prime in appearance and performance and about two continents south of anything resembling redemption.

They make Nico Bellic and his world seem like the Cosby Show.

Welcome back, you rotten, violent, cheating, confused, weatherbeaten sociopaths. I know you’re not looking for that place in the sun anymore, I know you’d settle for that fabled trinity, that whiskey shot, blowjob and cigarette and I know you’re unlikely to be seeing any of that any time soon.

I play games, among other reasons, to experience a slice of that life I’ll never have. Leaping between buildings and wall-running billboards in Mirror’s Edge. Fighting off the zombie apocalypse with four new best friends in L4D, playing out events time and time again and finding some crucial reordering of causality that opens a door through the seeming inevitable in Braid….

…and I’ll play Kane and Lynch for that sense, so rare in computer games, THAT IT IS ALWAYS GOING TO GET WORSE, to play and watch these violent idiots refuse to surrender to the police, to their scumbag peers and to common sense, to make them struggle against the nightmares of their past and for – maybe, just maybe – part of that holy trinity…

…And I’ll play Dog Days so I can go to sleep feeling just great about myself in comparison. =)

Also, graphics look beautiful. Great research, IO.

• MultiVaC says:

I’m just disappointed that they didn’t die at the end. It’s sort of a fascinating idea for a game to me, that the protagonists are utterly doomed from the start and they whole game is about their miserable, irredeemable downward spiral. The game was called “Kane & Lynch: Dead Men”; to me it loses a lot of impact that they never actually died. Also because the game wasn’t very good in general, but that’s a different topic.

• Heliocentric says:

The game has multiple endings, that they are both alive means the canon has turned darker as a consequence. You played it right?

• Reverend Speed says:

SPOILERS!

Actually, both of the endings lent credence to the adage that there’s fates worse than death for characters, that you can a) utterly compromise your values, betray your friends, lose even that last scrap of respect your daughter had for you or b) give your daughter a gun, drag her into a hopeless battle to save criminal scum that hate you and come out of it betrayed by the people you went in to save, your daughter motionless and bleeding across your back.

There’s no ‘good’ ending. Just an appropriate choice of shitty consequences.

That said, it’s never shown for certain that Kane’s daughter died (and Lynch doesn’t spit on Kane when he sees him in the trailer), so I imagine that it’s the ‘rescue’ ending that is becoming cannon.

Honestly, my only problem with the first game was the ludicrous world travelling. If this game is being set solely in Hong Kong and the rest of China, we’re in for a good time.

Well, ‘good’…

10. Shadowcat says:

… which promptly gets them assassinated, yeah?

Vitamin Powered says:

Co-op with added backstabbies. Colour me interested, with a shade of cautious.

But both videos make this a game I’ll probably end up picking up.

*double checks to make sure the publisher isn’t Ubisoft*

12. Forceflow says:

That guy’s face could use some normal mapping.

13. durr says:

I never understood why IO Interactive, creators of the stealth-tastic Hitman, decided that their strength would lie in fast-paced 3rd person shooters? The Hitman levels where you actually have to use your gun were always the ones that sucked the most (which, admittedly, is strange since the guns are great and they pioneered ragdoll physics in 2000, making for some fantastically over-the-top scenes… it just never felt very well paced).

If they’re sick of Mr 47, there are plenty of ways of doing clever stealth games in different settings.