LAN Party Politics: Election Night Offers

By Kieron Gillen on May 6th, 2010 at 8:13 pm.

Just vote.

If indie developers know one thing, it’s how to turn national political warfare into cheap-and-nasty monetization. Mode 7 Games are having 20% off their Frozen Synapse Pre-order (including Beta Access) in their Tactical Voting offer. You can order it here, and need to enter the coupon code WELLHUNG to get the reduction, before 1pm tomorrow. I fear that code’s pandering to my twitter rubbishness. I rambled about Frozen Synapse here, if you don’t remember. In short: Aces! Also, Positech are celebrating the decline of our democratic values with a decline in the prices of their Democracy 2. There’s a massive 50% off today. And now to get drunk and stare at the TV in mounting horror, I suspect.

, , , .

1. Schaulustiger says:

Go buy Frozen Synapse if you haven’t already!

I love it so much that I even decided to make a action-packed promo trailer for it to show off some of the frantic firefights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjrdvyGYP2s

2. Duderino says:

I’d buy Frozen Synapse except I don’t want to pay double and don’t know anyone interested in the other key. Why don’t they sell single licenses for half the asking price and make us turn to random internet strangers paypalling each other?

• Vinraith says:

@Duderino

I take it as an indicator that the game’s useless unless you have a friend that’s interested in playing it with you, myself.

• Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

That’s the weird thing though: it totally isn’t. It’s almost the perfect game for playing against random people on the internet. It puzzles me that they don’t sell single copies.

Anyway, Vinraith and Duderino, you two should buy it together.

• Vinraith says:

@Velvet Fist

When/if it ever develops a substantial SP component I’ll be interested, but it’s not worth $10 as a game primarily built around adversarial multiplayer.

• Dawngreeter says:

I honestly never thought of it as a two player pack. I always thought it was a regular game purchase, you just get an additional free key for buying the pre-order.

3. James G says:

I picked up a copy in the sale, so have a friend code available. If someone wants to drop in half (£6.79) then I’ll send them an activation code. (The friend code gives immediate beta access, and the full game, just as the main pack.)
    Edit: Hehe, impeccable timing with Duderino’s post appearing just above mine. If you’re interested just let me know. I’ve actually already got a copy, so I should be able to get the code to you (or anyone else) quickly.

4. Bassism says:

This game looks so incredibly fun. It’s too bad that I haven’t even got the cash to pick up half a key right now, but I’ll certainly be watching it.

5. Unaco says:

Gah! I really want to buy this… but already have too many games and too much work to do. If I do pick it up, I’ll play it, and not get any work done, or not play it, and then feel bad… worse than I do currently with The Witcher, AI War, Risen and The Void waiting to be played/finished. Maybe I should switch to the 28 Hour Day.

6. Rosti says:

I absolutely adore this game. Have been exposing more friends to it recently, so this might just get ‘em off the fence, too. Thanks Mode 7!
    (Also those of a certain age might prefer more Rainbow Six-yness, so allow me to present the following sound file: Tango down! as a kill notification and man down, man down! for a unit loss, just like Mama used to make, taken from the original R6 demo.
    Just drop ‘em into the FrozenSynapse -> psychoff -> data -> sound -> Vox directory, making a backup of the original “Hostile neutralised” & “Unit lost” if you’re that way inclined. It still makes me smile to hear it – it’s the sound of things going well or horribly wrong.)
    [Hmm, sorry, looks like the frontpage doesn't like backslashes. Like this one: . See, it's only there on the forum side. Tres strange.]

7. Katsumoto says:

I started drinking too early. I’ll be asleep well before we know the results! On the plus side, Frozen Synapse seems pretty fun. But will it make up for the horror that will reveal itself when I awaken tomorrow?

8. Jimbo says:

I’m calling it: Labour Majority.

What people say they’re gonna do and what they actually do are totally different. Deep down, nobody wants David Cameron as Prime Minister, not even Mrs. David Cameron’s mummy. He probably didn’t even vote for himself.

9. GC says:

Where do we enter the coupon code ???

10. Pijama says:

BBC predicts a hung parliament with conservatives ahead but not much.

Prediction: eight months of total stagnation, Tony Benn will ride in and bring GLORIOUS SOCIALISM to the british masses.

• James G says:

Watching the C4 coverage, because I feel I’ll need a laugh. V. disappointed by the Lib Dem performance. While I partly knew it couldn’t last, I had still hoped for an end to the two party system.

To be honest, my main issue this election is electoral reform. With the parliament predicted by the exit polls its still possible, but the figures aren’t forcing it as much as they could done. Basically, next election I want to be able to vote for my favourite party, rather than the least worst with any chance of winning. Some for of PR would be great, STV would be an improvement.

• Lilliput King says:

Give them a chance, the exit polls aren’t that accurate.

11. liquid says:

nice

12. Velvet Fist, Iron Glove says:

If you’re sitting on the fence, I’d recommend you buy the game. Even if you have a stack of unplayed games, it’s not necessarily going to compete. Frozen Synapse is a great “fill in the gaps” game, that you can play in a few 5-to-15 minute bursts spread out over a day, without it competing for your normal gaming time.

For example, to me it’d be perfect if I could play it on my iPhone, as I’d play it on the bus, or while standing in the queue at the post office.

13. ascagnel says:

And now to get drunk and stare at the TV in mounting horror, I suspect.

Is there ever an election night that doesn’t kick off this way?

14. lhzr says:

arr, i just bought it 2 days ago.

anyway, the game’s excellent, so it’s all good!

15. dingo says:

You enter the code at checkout after you have entered your personal details and pressed “next”

Note: For some odd reason at least for EURO countries the deluxe version is the same price than the one where you get “Determinance” (another game) on top.
    I got that one for 20 EUR down from 24 EUR in total.

• Maltose says:

It’s the same for US. I literally bought this yesterday. >.< ARGH

16. RedFred says:

Less posting, more voting!

Liberal Democrats for the win! (If only)

17. Slix says:

Grr! The coupon doesn’t seem to ever show up if you try using Paypal.

18. Markoff Chaney says:

I think I’ve been lured in to the siren’s call of another game I don’t have enough time to play, but an Indy dev I truly want to support. They even offer options for color blind individuals (Wulf, it’s for you!) and looks like a truly enjoyable game. I’m a sucker for any kind of turn based strategic killing type thing, though.

To go political for a second, I always vote 3rd party. The lesser of two evils is STILL evil. I envy y’all that have more than 2 political arms propelling the same bloated body forward while few recognize that both wings, left and right, work together and are controlled by the head. Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis. Bless you Hegel.

19. GT3000 says:

Who wants to be my Frozen Synapse buddy?

20. Jon says:

If you by buddy mean license dude, then definitely me!

If that is the case indeed and you are looking for someone to share a license with, then mail me at jwesstrom[at]gmail[dotcom]

21. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It looks greatly entertaining. I won’t get it. Too many games, too little time.

22. jon_hill987 says:

The total number of votes for each party says otherwise. Or at least that no one wants a labour government.

• jon_hill987 says:

That was @Jimbo. damn reply system…

• Wilson says:

@jon_hill987 – Plenty of people want a Labour government. Not as many as want a Conservative government certainly, but hardly “no one”. The results do highlight how unfair our electoral system is, looking at the Lib Dem results. The amount of seats they got for the number of votes is pathetic. Stupid first past the post…

• jon_hill987 says:

Well clearly the “no one” was not meant to be taken lit.

I do have to wonder how many Labour voters voted that way because they always have rather than because they actually believe in the policies…

And I have to agree with you about the lack of LibDem seats compared to the votes. The system is clearly broken. The BNP got twice the votes of the Green Party, yet the Green party got one seat to the BNPs zero, not that I want the BNP to get any power myself, but some people clearly do and a democracy is supposed to represent everybody’s opinion.

23. Mimsy says:

Am I missing something? Why are everyone so horrified about the UK election?

• jon_hill987 says:

Because Labour didn’t loose enough seats to give the conservatives a majority.

• James G says:

You might be, I’m inclined to think they’ve lost too many.

While I’m massively relieved that we don’t have a Tory majority, I’m feeling incredibly betrayed by the possibility of a Lib-Con alliance, because I don’t see how that can occur without the Lib Dems abandoning some of the key policies which made me vote for them. There would also be the disappointment in the Lib Dem vote fall off, if it weren’t for the fact that yellow may be about to dye itself blue.

What on earth is a Liberal, Skeptic, Leftie supposed to do now?

24. Mimsy says:

Wait… so the UK is about to plunge into a period of right-wing, conservative shit?

That is fucking frightening. It’s always horrifying to watch when a major ends up like that. If there’s one thing the world doesn’t need, it’s more of that terrifying shit. As a Norwegian, I’m completely powerless to vote either way, and it makes me feel completely helpless.

…Fuck it. I didn’t need this, today. I’m going to bed. x(

25. Chuck Chuck Razool says:

Frozen Synapse made my day, especially at 20% off. It’s deceptively quick and basic at first glance, but to label it a “casual” game vastly oversimplifies it’s treasures. The strategic depth and second-guessing of your opponent make it possible to enjoy in delicious, bite-size morsels for a long time to come; this as opposed to games like Mass Effect or Oblivion that facilitate work-skipping, marriage-ruining, forgetting-to-eat obsession for months on end. Quite refreshing, really.

26. Wahngrok says:

Thanks for the info. I was toying with the idea of buying and the 20% off were enough to push me over the edge. ;)

27. Matzerath says:

I would also like to submit my vote in favor of Frozen Synapse. I didn’t get the casual ‘next turn whenever’ thing until I experienced it — absolutely brilliant. It sends you an email as a last measure! You can play multiple games and pretend you’re Bobby Fischer! Or you can get your ass handed to you by several people at once! You can lose immediately or over the course of several days!
    I need more practice …