Puzzle Bots Released, Demo Out

By John Walker on May 7th, 2010 at 5:23 pm.

Look what a lovely time they're having.

I’m trying to think of a way to link the new puzzle/adventure game from Erin Robinson and Dave Gilbert, Puzzle Bots, to a hung parliament in the UK election… Right, okay, here we go. In this hybrid game you control up to five robots at once, who are all forced to work in coalition with each other in order to complete tasks that would otherwise be impossible on their own. Come on – that’s why they pay me the big bucks*. It’s a game that’s out today.

Here’s how publishers Wadjet Eye Games describes it:

“There’s a big secret at Dr. Hugo’s Factory for Making Robots. When the inventors aren’t looking, their tiny robots go on big adventures. They never expected to stumble onto a plot so diabolical it threatened their very existence. With lasers.

It all starts when Zander – possibly the world’s most absent-minded inventor – trips over a metal box buried outside the factory. When no-one can figure out how to open it, the robots sneak out and try it for themselves. What they discover is the first step to a grand adventure, leading to a mystery as old as the factory itself.”

It’s $15, so if you want to try before that buy, there’s a demo directly linked to here. And here’s a couple of trailers introducing two of the robots:

*The bucks are in fact tiny.

, , , , , , .

1. Dan says:

Looks fun but that’s the wrong Gilbert for me to want to pay $15 for it.

2. Mathew Jensterle says:

This sort of ?

3. Tei says:

Boyfriend bomb? I don’t get it either. Any lady on the room?

• Gutter says:

I don’t get it either. “Boyfriend bombs” is usually a term referring to girls who casually mention their boyfriend in a conversation in an attempt to shut down a potential suitor, or test if he has a girlfriend himself. Maybe some girls call this a “little pink bomb”? But thats not funny, so it must be something else.

That and the non-rhetorical rhetorical questions followed by a rhetorical non-rhetorical question makes me wonder what the hell happened to Erin (which is an otherwise good writer IMHO)

Sagan says:

I was not interested in this until I clicked on the link and saw who Wadjet Eye Games are. Demo is downloading now.

5. Gutter says:

How is “Are you ready to rock?” a rhetorical question? It doesn’t assert, deny or make a statement of anything

6. mcwizardry says:

Pretty neat demo, decent length and some nice sample puzzles.

7. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Still on the fence with this one. I love Dave’s indie adventures ,but couldn’t get myself to buy the casual one done for PlayFirst…this looks somewhat in between. The demo was neat, but not sure there is enough fun for 15 dollars.
    Guess I’ll wait and read some reviews first

8. fuggles says:

What happened to Judaism based point and clicks? Ah wadjet how you’ve changed. This looks pretty poor in my opinion. Something a bit like the lost vikings or gobliiins, but with poor animation and humour that is just plain obtuse in a way that I don’t understand. Boyfriend bombs? Yeah…okay then.

9. Feet says:

Played through the demo, very cute and fun. A puzzventure, I’d call it. Or an advenzle perhaps. Anyhow, it was good. Not so sure on the price point though, I’ve paid less for games that had the same amount of fun but were not so simply presemted. Nothing quite as cute though. And I’m a sucker for cute.

Kirrus says:

Sounds interesting. Nice way of working the election in :)

11. Geoff says:

Can anyone help with the name of a game that this one reminds me of.
    It was on the genesis and it was about animals in a zoo. You control an elephant and a rabbit and a beaver among other animals and it again requires teamwork to progress. Rabbit jumps high, the beaver can swim etc. It was 2D sidescrolling…?

12. Jahkaivah says:

“Nice job breaking it, hero”